PDA

View Full Version : Lockpicking formula...

AestheticDeath
06-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Ok, seems I have lost my marbles. What is the actual lockpicking formula, and how does it work? I could have sworn I knew it, but the results I am getting right now are not matching up.

I have 403 skill in picking, 35 dex bonus.

438 total skill. Using a rolaren lockpick, that at base should be 1.9 modifier. But this pick is only in good condition, and has been repaired once. So It shouldnt even be at 1.9 mod right?

I was under the impression that without lore, the lock I could pick with a base rolaren pick would be 438*1.9 = 832, though you get the d100 roll, but you need like a 101 above the lock for success right?

Anyways, I saw the size of the lock once at -860, got it on the third try with d80. So I might have got a +4 mod from seeing it that once right?

AestheticDeath
06-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Just got a -885 with the same lockpick, and an d89

Do I just have to get a total one above the lock size?

Some Rogue
06-22-2008, 09:46 PM
That looks like the formula from Krakiipedia too.
((Picking Locks skill + Dexterity bonus) * Pick modifier) + lock difficulty (negative number) + d100 roll.

With this added part:

An endroll of 81-100 will sense the difficulty of the lock and reduce it by 5 for subsequent attempts. This modification stacks if repeated senses are made. An endroll of 61-80 will result in a feeling that the lock is within your skill. An endroll of 60 or less will lead to a hidden roll to determine whether the pick is damaged or broken. A roll of 1 is always a fumble and a possibility to break a pick, even if it would have produced an endroll of over 100. A roll of 100 is an open roll.

AestheticDeath
06-22-2008, 10:08 PM
So did the lockpicking changes go live or something?

I just wanted to update you guys that Warden and I have reached a set of numbers that we both feel is reasonable for the updated locks. This is still subject to change, but it is likely to be the final version, so I wanted to make you aware of the gist of the changes.

First, we plan to remove the level-based component from 403, leaving the Pick Locks skill, Minor Elemental ranks, and Dexterity bonus as the factors, weighted the same as they are now. As a result, 403 will provide a smaller bonus than it did previously, and the bonus will be flatter (grow more slowly) than before.

At the same time, we'll be modifying the basic lockpicking equation to increase the Pick Locks skill contribution by 25%; in effect, you will be treated as if your Pick Locks skill is 25% higher than it really is.

The net effect of the previous two changes is that being an good lockpicker will have more to do with one's training in Pick Locks than whether one knows 403. As well, most pickers will see their max lock increase somewhat, especially those with a lot of skill.

Finally, the lock range for basically every creature in the game will be changing, in some cases by several hundred points. Most creatures will see their lock ranges increase on average. When these changes go live, you should be cautious for a little while until you get used to both your new max and the lock ranges for various creatures. We'll reiterate these details when the actual roll in of the changes approaches.

The details of this are still subject to change, and are not being deployed in the immediate future. Now that lock numbers are dealt with, we have to perform a similar analysis for trap numbers, which may or may not see analogous changes.

- Consigliere Ildran, Shizlock Holmesplice

AestheticDeath
06-22-2008, 11:37 PM
OK, I have figured out the two rolaren lockpicks I have are not the same.

Somehow I got a rolaren lockpick with a higher mod then normal.

Some Rogue
06-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Does it actually have rolaren in the description? Have you had a bard sing to it?

BigWorm
06-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Could be made with lockmastery and/or the lower one could have been broken and repaired. Lots of possibilties, really. That's why I usually stick to fresh picks or ones that I know, not ones I've dug out of my locker.

AestheticDeath
06-23-2008, 03:36 AM
both are base description, a rolaren lockpick. They sing as having different mods. Really wish it was a number instead of a fucking word puzzle.