PDA

View Full Version : BOOM - here's what's new in Cleveland.

Czeska
12-30-2003, 11:06 AM
I could see the flames from my work window yesterday. It's about a 15 minute drive from here.
Check out the pics.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=14097

Overlord
12-30-2003, 11:10 AM
Thats a lot of destruction...Like i said before hun....god damn volcano.... and wheres my magnesium marshmallows.

Lobster
12-30-2003, 11:25 AM
"Since water only makes the flames worse, the only strategy for fighting the fire was to let it burn out."

Didn't they have a huge fire on the lake right outside Cleveland several years ago?

Cleveland might want to mix in a typical inferno once in a while just to keep things fresh.

Czeska
12-30-2003, 11:26 AM
There was a fire on the Cuyahoga River, but that was in the 70s.

ClawofAndelas
12-30-2003, 09:35 PM
I actually think I have pictures of the Cuyahoga River burning back then. I was just a little kid but my mom took more than a few snapsnots.

I'll work on tracking them down so I can scan a few.

~The Claw

Czeska
12-30-2003, 09:37 PM
Are you from this area.. um.. Claw?

AnticorRifling
12-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Why didn't they foam the fire? Either way good stuff.

The Cat In The Hat
12-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Shit!

I lived in medina county a few years ago um... in 97. Thats too bad about all the damage.

For the record, Medina sucks but you should go to The Chamber in Lakewood... wonder if its even still there.

Cat

Cat

theotherjohn
12-30-2003, 10:14 PM
They should have just let it burn and cleanse everything

Lord Deprav
12-31-2003, 12:12 AM
I spend way too much time in Cleveland. Was there over the weekend but strangely enough didnt hear about that.

Deprav

Czeska
12-31-2003, 08:45 AM
If you were here a week ago, you did not hear about it cause it just happened Monday afternoon :)

Don't know about the chamber in Lakewood, but I'll be in Lakewood for a NYE party tonight.

Czeska
12-31-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
Why didn't they foam the fire? Either way good stuff.

I was wondering that too, here's what the news says:

Firefighters couldn't fight the fire with water because water can make magnesium fires worse. Monday night, Garfield Alloys trucked in a semi load of a special dry compound, factory flux, to smother the magnesium. It's up to the company to have that firefighting material on hand and it's expensive.

Even then, you have to be close enough to the fire to layer two inches worth of the compound over it. The fire was too big to smother.

They tried to accelerate the burning process by dumping water on a storage area, but when the explosions got too strong, they backed off.

"We decided, well, let's get back to the other plan," said Garfield Heights fire chief Tony Collova. "That was just to protect exposures. It will take longer this way, but we said why take a chance and flare it up."

All firefighters could do was fall back and water down neighboring buildings in order to prevent them from catching fire. Six other fire departments helped Garfield Heights battle the blaze.