PDA

View Full Version : X-post from my post on the officials

thefarmer
06-19-2008, 02:51 PM
(I'm not the author, but since I know a lot of you don't read the officials, figured I'd share)

Regarding today's "Storven and Tryfena Visit the Shrine of Bob" event
By:XXLILROSEXX

I was entirely displeased with today?s alterations in Zul Logoth for several reasons. Previous to my post, people complained about the location and mechanics of it. Mine is more concerning the streamlining of Simutronics merchant events.

At ?Storven and Tryfena Visit the Shrine of Bob?, the first announcements regarded payment. Those present were told to put their ?donations to Bob? in a marked donation box. There was no further information on amounts, and figuring that most merchants ask for 15-25k, placed a donation of 20k. It was only later that the merchants clarified placing money for donation was to ?get their attention,? and an additional fee must be paid to the specific craftsperson for work. I would like to point out that a player present asked if a specific object could be given as donation, to which one merchant responded in the affirmative. The box would not accommodate said object, thus marking the first inconsistency for what was already a chaotic event.

Tryfena provided lightening and flares service while Storven did general alteration for weapons and armor. The event post on the site?s calendar did not state limitations other than the flares would be standard and that Tryfena would do either flares OR lightening service, but not both. Several of the clients waiting expected that flaring would include armor. Tryfena quickly squelched this idea: she would provide flaring to weapons ONLY. At the time 5 of us were present and they had made it clear that we could get a service from one merchant OR the other. No one argued with the merchants, but it did seem preemptive, considering that Tryfena?s service takes but moments.

My original request was for Storven, who refused to change my brigandine into a leather bodysuit. Mind you, one of the other players in the room had that very service done before, and oddly enough, did not want `bodysuit,? but her merchant revoked her original idea. The first thing I told Storven was that I wanted a show. I then told him the basic description, and then the show. It wasn?t until a few minutes later he asked if I wanted to keep the term brigandine. I repeated my request for a bodysuit, but he politely told me that he could not do that. How is it that one merchant would force the term leather bodysuit and one would deny it? He offered to change it to, ?Sleek black leathers,? but I politely reminded him that I could get something similar at my guild. I was slightly disappointed, but as he was very agreeable, I didn?t mind opting for another service.

Having discussed payment with Storven before he realized his decline, he considered the fact that I?d already paid 20k to the donation box, believing that was the entire fee. Dealing with Tryfena was another thing entirely. She asked for a payment of 25k up front. I replied that I had donated a good amount already and did not have that kind of coin on me anymore. She offered a runner and I wasn?t planning to argue. I also believe that his asking price was different from hers.

I asked for my same brigandine to be lightened. Before the event I had weighed it at 23 lbs., and after my service? it weighed between 23-25 lbs. Remarking upon this to a friend outside the shrine, I suddenly received a message of, ?You get the feeling that the armor was lightened.? And my armor? still weighed 23 lbs.

As the only rule considering getting multiple items done was regarding the same character, discreetly I had a falchion passed in several locations to my alternate for flaring. This time I came prepared with the appropriate amount of coin, asked quietly and politely, and simply planned to mind my own business. Tryfena, instead of recognizing that I followed the few rules she had laid out, whispered in response to a question regarding her services, "I am, but logging in as an alternate character is not kosher." I had not openly acknowledged that I was another character, and moreover, was shocked by her uncalled for animosity. Pulling together some composure I replied that I hadn?t broken any of her rules by logging onto another character, that using an alternate is no different than those who MA at such events, and considering the timing of her service and so few people present my request certainly was nothing extraordinary. Her response to this was, "It is at the discretion of the merchant. That is my choice." As any further words would fall on deaf ears, I told her to expect feedback and silently exited.

From the above narrative, you may see that the rules of conduct in merchanting must be streamlined. If there is a donation box, TELL us that it is for donation, and that further payment is expected. If an expected service is limited, like the case of no flaring armor, NOTE these limitations on calendar postings. You had several players who were almost entirely disinterested with the event after that announcement. There have also before been concerns over the usage of deity names that should be addressed, and please, for those of us that work hard on wording our alterations, make a list of acceptable and unacceptable noun changes.

This is my first letter of complaint after playing over 13 years, and needless to say, I am completely disheartened by the whole thing. Producing a more cohesive event is in the best interest of everyone.

..and my armor, for a total of 45k, still weighs 23 lbs.

thefarmer
06-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I have no idea where the "MY" part came from in the title, as again, it isn't my post.

Khariz
06-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Eh, it's worth reading. Sounded like a real shit-brained merchant.

Some Rogue
06-19-2008, 03:04 PM
I saw that last night. As for the weight, lern2bardsing.

diethx
06-19-2008, 03:20 PM
In all of my experience getting shit lightened, if something IS lightened even just slightly, it will show up via the weigh verb. I've never had to have an item bard sung to prove lightening via merchant.

Some Rogue
06-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Since the weigh verb is never accurate though...it's best to get the true weight by singing to it.

diethx
06-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't say never, although yes bard song is a more accurate method of figuring out a true weight 100%. However, if a merchant did at all lighten that item, it SHOULD show up via weigh verb, at least in my experience (and i've gotten a ton of shit lightened).

Celephais
06-19-2008, 03:33 PM
yeah if the weigh verb didn't produce anything distinguishable, that's some shitty lightening service.

Some Rogue
06-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Doesn't it also depend on how much it has been lightened in the past?

Bobmuhthol
06-19-2008, 03:40 PM
No, it's usually 10% of current weight.

thefarmer
06-19-2008, 03:45 PM
No, it's usually 10% of current weight.

It also depends on how much weight can be taken off, if it's not standard. There was post on the officials that talked about it but basically it stated that there wasn't a set amount of weight to be taken off, and that it depended on a number of factors.

Bobmuhthol
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
It's pretty retarded that there are complexities to this system, considering it's a matter of a few pounds.

thefarmer
06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
As for the original post, the GM's actions don't surprise me a bit really.

LadyLaphrael
06-19-2008, 04:38 PM
So, how many of us showed up hoping to get some sort of armor/accessory flare because of the unclear announcement? It's not like the rarity of them hasn't been compromised with the super-fantastico-group-hunting-is-harder-than-solo-hunting treasure overhaul, so it doesn't seem like it's out of the question...especially if you're going to put the event in the hidden recesses of the "Shrine of Bob."

Can we badname that Shrine while we're at it? Because we know what a fat lot of good -that- would do.

Bobmuhthol
06-19-2008, 04:39 PM
The GMs miss me. I don't see the issue.

Snarkmistress Merique
06-19-2008, 04:51 PM
As for the original post, the GM's actions don't surprise me a bit really.

For the record, I'm the OP on that.

It was most possibly the worst GM run event I've ever attended.. and I've been to some significantly terrible ones. Tryfena got to the point where she was just being mean to people, and Storven noticeably backed off to accommodate her temper. If it were a RP'd Dwarven woman's temper, then sure.. but this was most definitely someone being cranky. The level of unprofessionalism was astounding, and from talking to those who attended, no one was 100% happy with the event.

Again, in my 13 years, I have never, ever complained about something as silly as an event; it's simply trivial. This time, things were made personal, and the "work" performed wasn't even detectable.* I'd normally forgive lousy service for decent product, but every aspect of the merchanting was flawed.

I can has 2 hours of my life back?

*I'm going to be civil and not address the previous bardsing comment.

Allereli
06-19-2008, 05:11 PM

civility is for the officials. I want to read a bitchy reply!

Some Rogue
06-19-2008, 05:38 PM
But it might hurt my feelings!

Oh wait, I don't have any.

g++
06-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Hah I knew Some Rogue was a sociopath...now I have proof.

Some Rogue
06-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Hah I knew Some Rogue was a sociopath...now I have proof.

I know where you live...and I've been watching. :medieval:

thefarmer
06-19-2008, 07:28 PM
For the record, I'm the OP on that.

It was most possibly the worst GM run event I've ever attended.. and I've been to some significantly terrible ones. Tryfena got to the point where she was just being mean to people, and Storven noticeably backed off to accommodate her temper. If it were a RP'd Dwarven woman's temper, then sure.. but this was most definitely someone being cranky. The level of unprofessionalism was astounding, and from talking to those who attended, no one was 100% happy with the event.

Again, in my 13 years, I have never, ever complained about something as silly as an event; it's simply trivial. This time, things were made personal, and the "work" performed wasn't even detectable.* I'd normally forgive lousy service for decent product, but every aspect of the merchanting was flawed.

I can has 2 hours of my life back?

I'm still waiting for the normal GM bunch to start defending the GMs from your post. I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Stunseed
06-19-2008, 08:16 PM
< Again, in my 13 years, I have never, ever complained about something as silly as an event; it's simply trivial. This time, things were made personal, and the "work" performed wasn't even detectable.* I'd normally forgive lousy service for decent product, but every aspect of the merchanting was flawed.>

The rule of Soulpieced is now in play. What next, someone mentions Hitler?

What was the actual service, anyways?

Bobmuhthol
06-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Eh. It's a universal thing. This isn't a case of "I'm right because I've been here longer," it's a case of, "Nothing has pissed me off this badly, and I've had 13 years to get pissed off." You can say that about anything, not just GS.

Stunseed
06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah, it's more the thought of "I'm been playing GS 13 years, therefore I'm right automatically", in which Soulpieced usually comes in and makes someone look like an ass.

I haven't left OTF for 6 months for the most part, so I have no clue what's up with the merchants and their services.

diethx
06-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah, it's more the thought of "I'm been playing GS 13 years, therefore I'm right automatically", in which Soulpieced usually comes in and makes someone look like an ass.

I haven't left OTF for 6 months for the most part, so I have no clue what's up with the merchants and their services.

Since she wasn't saying that, why bring it up?

Stunseed
06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Since she wasn't saying that, why bring it up?

Two reasons, really.

1. The OP openly admits to being a Tsin'er by MA'ing to get a service ( flaring falchion ).

2. Over the course of 13 years, this event is the one to break the camels back? Not Sukara which did WAY worse IMHO or the assorted merchants who set up randomly for their groupies to get services ( cough-Solhaven-cough ) ?

Jus sayin.

Bobmuhthol
06-19-2008, 08:59 PM
<<1. The OP openly admits to being a Tsin'er by MA'ing to get a service ( flaring falchion ).>>

The OP openly admitted to not MAing. She logged on to another character on one account to get a service on that character.

Stunseed
06-19-2008, 09:01 PM
< As the only rule considering getting multiple items done was regarding the same character, discreetly I had a falchion passed in several locations to my alternate for flaring. >

OH NOEZ TWO CHARACTERS WITH TWO SERVICES. Looks like MA'ing ( in the merchanting regard ) to me.

diethx
06-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Two reasons, really.

1. The OP openly admits to being a Tsin'er by MA'ing to get a service ( flaring falchion ).

2. Over the course of 13 years, this event is the one to break the camels back? Not Sukara which did WAY worse IMHO or the assorted merchants who set up randomly for their groupies to get services ( cough-Solhaven-cough ) ?

Jus sayin.

I thought the OP admitted to logging off the first character to get falchion flares on another character on that account, because for some reason, the merchant didn't lighten her armor like she had asked and paid for? And she wanted a service? And if so, big fucking deal? She didn't get shit for the first service which she already paid for, except some nasty attitude.

And Sukara, while breaking Simu rules often in favor of players, was an AWESOME merchant and I don't ever remember her being nasty to players for no reason, so, no. And I wouldn't know about any groupies.

However, maybe this OP who (from her side of the story) doesn't seem like a habitual griefer, finally had an experience that made her feel the need to post about it. Who are you to say it's not true?

Bobmuhthol
06-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Two accounts on one character isn't MAing in any regard.

diethx
06-19-2008, 09:03 PM
MA'ing = two or more characters at once being played by the same person. AT ONCE. :D

Semantics, though.

Stunseed
06-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Semantics, indeed. Those were my issues, I'm not in any position to say otherwise, but I just figured there were other things that after 13 hard, labor-filled years of GS that would have been worse. :)

LadyLaphrael
06-19-2008, 09:10 PM
I helped pass off said falchion from one character to the next, done well outside of the merchanting room. Were this limited to "one per account," it should have been posted as such...otherwise I fail to see how this isn't "kosher." Of course, were the merchants in any way concerned with RP...they would have no way of being able to determine that these two characters were connected in any way whatsoever. Again, I wonder, wtf is up with the "Shrine of Bob" anyhow?

As for the services being offered - Tryfena will offer either flares (standard - heat, cold, electric, impact) OR lightening of weapons and armor. Storven will offer work of a more cosmetic nature for those items. It was not claimed in the calendar announcement that flares would be for weapons only, made even more confounded by the fact that i was followed with the "lightening of weapons and armor." Flat out, this should have just been billed as a "Zul Logoth citizens only" event, which would have limited its attendants to what...3 people? I think that would have been more than the number of satisfied people I've heard coming out of this thing.

LadyLaphrael
06-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Semantics, indeed. Those were my issues, I'm not in any position to say otherwise, but I just figured there were other things that after 13 hard, labor-filled years of GS that would have been worse. :)

Knowing the OP, I know she hasn't been playing for 13 years straight. Like many of us, her first time playing happened to be 13 years ago.

Bobmuhthol
06-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Well that's retarded then. I guess I've been playing GS for 12 years.

SolitareConfinement
06-19-2008, 09:27 PM
if thats the case im at 11 years

Snarkmistress Merique
06-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Eh. It's a universal thing. This isn't a case of "I'm right because I've been here longer," it's a case of, "Nothing has pissed me off this badly, and I've had 13 years to get pissed off." You can say that about anything, not just GS.

THANK YOU, that's exactly what I was getting at! I only get high and mighty about having played for so long when other people throw it at me like I'm some newbie. Trust me, it's more like a badge of shame. This is what I've been doing with my life..? Oh my.

This wasn't at all a "holier than thou" statement. It was most definitely a remarking that I haven't been perturbed enough over an incident to write anything... until this one. And it's been 13 years. If you don't believe me, check out that handle. I was a badass in middle school with my xs.

I mean, sure, things in GS have pissed me off before this (and I run my mouth at almost every given opportunity). It's something completely different to sit down and write a strongly worded letter over an incident and post it to the officials.

Honestly, I've better things to do than use my time with Simu as street cred.

Snarkmistress Merique
06-19-2008, 11:06 PM
<OH NOEZ TWO CHARACTERS WITH TWO SERVICES. Looks like MA'ing ( in the merchanting regard ) to me.

See? For me, MAing is cheating, as if you are going in room order, your whole clan is bound to get a service. I went to the back of the line like everyone else would and waited for my would-be service. Although there was little issue of time or amount of people, I made sure to get the work done (or lack thereof), like everyone else.

No one came in after me, for the 10 minutes or so my alt was there. I feel that I played very fair and got the shaft for it.

Philosopher
06-19-2008, 11:23 PM
So, this has very little to do with the original topic of this thread, but can someone explain to me what the Shrine of Bob is? Who, or what, is Bob?

Bobmuhthol
06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Hello!

Daniel
06-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Seriously? How'd that happen?

Bobmuhthol
06-19-2008, 11:34 PM
hahaha, no, but I can dream

Snarkmistress Merique
06-20-2008, 04:56 PM
I saw that last night. As for the weight, lern2bardsing.

Louaryne has accepted your offer and is now holding a slim suit of curvaceous brigandine.
Louaryne sings something in Guildspeak that you don't understand.
The curvaceous brigandine seems to respond to the magic of Louaryne's song.
Louaryne says, "Well... time to be angry."
Louaryne says, "Twenty three pounds."

pwned.

Some Rogue
06-20-2008, 05:18 PM
I asked for my same brigandine to be lightened. Before the event I had weighed it at 23 lbs., and after my service? it weighed between 23-25 lbs. Remarking upon this to a friend outside the shrine, I suddenly received a message of, ?You get the feeling that the armor was lightened.? And my armor? still weighed 23 lbs.

Louaryne has accepted your offer and is now holding a slim suit of curvaceous brigandine.
Louaryne sings something in Guildspeak that you don't understand.
The curvaceous brigandine seems to respond to the magic of Louaryne's song.
Louaryne says, "Well... time to be angry."
Louaryne says, "Twenty three pounds."

pwned.

Well since it wasn't sang to before...you don't really know what it was before. Somewhere between the 23-25 you actually weighed it at. Isn't 25 the standard for brig? Assuming it is, you got 10% taken off....

TheEschaton
06-20-2008, 05:20 PM
23 is standard for brig

Some Rogue
06-20-2008, 05:22 PM
I can't address the rest of your post since I wasn't involved with the event. But I figured it's important to note that using the WEIGH command is not completely accurate. Past I think it's about five pounds there's a randomness to it, so you need to weigh something multiple times to get an idea of what the probable exact weight is. Normal brig weighs 25 pounds and being lightened one time would take it to 23 pounds. So it would be expected that the difference is not readily obvious with the WEIGH command, since the randomness would make both those numbers come up with items weighing either 25 or 23.

Zyllah

What do you know..Zyllah said exactly what I did.

diethx
06-20-2008, 05:23 PM
23 is standard for brig

Sounds like the merchant pwned her twice then :/

What a bitch.

TheEschaton
06-20-2008, 05:34 PM
I dunno, every set of brig I've ever owned weighed 23.

AestheticDeath
06-20-2008, 05:45 PM
standard brig is 25 lbs

Some Rogue
06-20-2008, 05:46 PM
I dunno, every set of brig I've ever owned weighed 23.

I bet you were weighing them too. :nono:

waywardgs
07-02-2008, 04:53 AM
Even with a net 2 pound reduction, still a pretty weak service. So, what, you can carry an extra 280 coins? Woopee. That's 160 hunts where you bring back 280 extra coins before you even get your money back on the service, heh.

Methais
07-02-2008, 05:46 AM
Tryfena, instead of recognizing that I followed the few rules she had laid out, whispered in response to a question regarding her services, "I am, but logging in as an alternate character is not kosher."

http://www.bangitout.com/uploads/28jews_jaws.jpg

Stanley Burrell
07-02-2008, 10:04 AM
R.I.P. Seaquest Jew :(