PDA

View Full Version : Deals With Iraq Are Set to Bring Oil Giants Back

Seran
06-19-2008, 10:31 AM
BAGHDAD — Four Western oil companies are in the final stages of negotiations this month on contracts that will return them to Iraq (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/iraq/index.html?inline=nyt-geo), 36 years after losing their oil concession to nationalization as Saddam Hussein (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/h/saddam_hussein/index.html?inline=nyt-per) rose to power.

Exxon Mobil (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/exxon_mobil_corporation/index.html?inline=nyt-org), Shell, Total and BP (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/bp_plc/index.html?inline=nyt-org) — the original partners in the Iraq Petroleum Company — along with Chevron (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/chevron_corporation/index.html?inline=nyt-org) and a number of smaller oil companies, are in talks with Iraq’s Oil Ministry for no-bid contracts to service Iraq’s largest fields, according to ministry officials, oil company officials and an American diplomat.

The deals, expected to be announced on June 30, will lay the foundation for the first commercial work for the major companies in Iraq since the American invasion, and open a new and potentially lucrative country for their operations.

The no-bid contracts are unusual for the industry, and the offers prevailed over others by more than 40 companies, including companies in Russia, China and India. The contracts, which would run for one to two years and are relatively small by industry standards, would nonetheless give the companies an advantage in bidding on future contracts in a country that many experts consider to be the best hope for a large-scale increase in oil production.

There was suspicion among many in the Arab world and among parts of the American public that the United States had gone to war in Iraq precisely to secure the oil wealth these contracts seek to extract. The Bush administration has said that the war was necessary to combat terrorism. It is not clear what role the United States played in awarding the contracts; there are still American advisers to Iraq’s Oil Ministry.

...and it goes on;

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/world/middleeast/19iraq.html?scp=10&sq=&st=nyt

-----

As if anyone didn't expect the truth to come out; the second Iraq invasion was not about fighting terrorism; it was about giving back control of Iraqi oil to our American companies.

It gets even better when you think who'll be supplying the oil companies in these no-bid contracts, namely Halliburton and it's off-shoot KBR.

Hah.

RichardCranium
06-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Good.

Gan
06-19-2008, 11:19 AM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/learningtewfly/alert_01.gif

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/learningtewfly/tinhat.jpg

Atlanteax
06-19-2008, 11:20 AM
As if anyone didn't expect the truth to come out; the second Iraq invasion was not about fighting terrorism; it was about giving back control of Iraqi oil to our American companies.

This is bad or wrong somehow?

Some Rogue
06-19-2008, 11:27 AM
You do realize that 3 of those 4 main companies you listed aren't even American right?

Daniel
06-19-2008, 12:18 PM
You do realize that the Iraqi economy is pretty much dependent on oil right?

Some Rogue
06-19-2008, 12:27 PM
You do realize that the Iraqi economy is pretty much dependent on oil right?

And?

I was just pointing out his conspiracy theory is fucking retarded because those companies aren't even American.

ClydeR
06-19-2008, 12:28 PM
The mission in Iraq won't truly be accomplished until Iraq's oil supplies are secured in trustworthy hands, such as those of the aforementioned companies. Oil companies operate out of a profit motive, which means they will do everything in their power to plumb as much oil as possible. But Iraqis do not always operate on the basis of rational motives. They are too caught up in internecine struggles for us to trust that they will be good stewards of the oil.

Slider
06-19-2008, 12:30 PM
And?

I was just pointing out his conspiracy theory is fucking retarded because those companies aren't even American.

Now, now, lets not let the facts interfere with a perfectly good conspiricay theory.

Daniel
06-19-2008, 12:32 PM
And?

I was adding to your comment to further emphasis how stupid the OP was.

Some Rogue
06-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I was adding to your comment to further emphasis how stupid the OP was.

I see. Carry on! :blush:

Clove
06-19-2008, 01:59 PM
You do realize that 3 of those 4 main companies you listed aren't even American right?WTF are you talking about... all big business is American! What are you a Commie!?!1!?!

Parkbandit
06-19-2008, 02:02 PM

It gets even better when you think who'll be supplying the oil companies in these no-bid contracts, namely Halliburton and it's off-shoot KBR.

Hah.

:rofl:

I think ClydeR is a liberal, posting as a right wing nutjob... now I'm beginning to think you are a conservative posting as a left wing nutjob.

I mean, there's no way someone could possibly be this fucking retarded.

Clove
06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
But Iraqis do not always operate on the basis of rational motives. They are too caught up in internecine struggles for us to trust that they will be good stewards of the oil.And naturally we know all about being good stewards here in the good ol' US of A, so we'll be happy to manage their resources in trust.

ClydeR
06-19-2008, 02:51 PM
And naturally we know all about being good stewards here in the good ol' US of A, so we'll be happy to manage their resources in trust.

The spice must flow.

Iraq cannot guarantee oil extraction without our intervention. They should be more like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and just sit back and enjoy the wealth that comes from living on top of vast underground resources.

Kranar
06-19-2008, 04:56 PM
The spice must flow.

Iraq cannot guarantee oil extraction without our intervention. They should be more like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and just sit back and enjoy the wealth that comes from living on top of vast underground resources.

You forgot to use italics.

Clove
06-19-2008, 04:59 PM
You forgot to use italics.No kidding.

The spice must flow.

Iraq cannot guarantee oil extraction without our intervention. They should be more like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and just sit back and enjoy the wealth that comes from living on top of vast underground resources.This is very different from "The Iraqis aren't good stewards". Now your argument is the Iraqis can't secure their oil production, which may be true but it doesn't follow that the USA is the only one who can help the Iraqis gain the security needed to stabalize their oil production.

sst
06-19-2008, 05:53 PM
This is very different from "The Iraqis aren't good stewards". Now your argument is the Iraqis can't secure their oil production, which may be true but it doesn't follow that the USA is the only one who can help the Iraqis gain the security needed to stabalize their oil production.

I'm not sure if i am reading this right... are you saying that other people aside from the US are willing to help stabalize the country?...

Kranar
06-19-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure if i am reading this right... are you saying that other people aside from the US are willing to help stabalize the country?

There's a huge difference between stabalizing the country, and stabalizing the oil.

Tea & Strumpets
06-19-2008, 06:14 PM
There's a huge difference between stabalizing the country, and stabalizing the oil.

It's stabilize (I think)!

I thought "The spice must flow" was pretty funny from the neighborhood troll that the majority of the posters seem to think is a real person for some unfathomable reason. I can't believe how many of you fuckers respond to ClydeR.

Fallen
06-19-2008, 06:44 PM
So now that the fighting is dying down we should step aside and let other countries secure the nation's oil supplies? Because..

Why the fuck are we fighting wars over oil if we aren't going to get the fucking oil?

Parkbandit
06-19-2008, 06:46 PM
It's stabilize (I think)!

I thought "The spice must flow" was pretty funny from the neighborhood troll that the majority of the posters seem to think is a real person for some unfathomable reason. I can't believe how many of you fuckers respond to ClydeR.

/agree

I miss you Dar...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/belike53/Dar.jpg

RichardCranium
06-19-2008, 07:31 PM
So now that the fighting is dying down we should step aside and let other countries secure the nation's oil supplies? Because..

Why the fuck are we fighting wars over oil if we aren't going to get the fucking oil?

tru

sst
06-19-2008, 09:06 PM

Ehh not as much as you might think. Once the government there has the oil under control, in regards to both production and the sharing of profits between different factions things will continue to get better. With oil will come money, with money more infrastructure, and with that more jobs, and less people disenfranchised and working for/with the insurgency.

Drinin
06-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Read the article in the paper at work today. Sounds good to me.

ClydeR
06-20-2008, 11:12 AM
You forgot to use italics.

I didn't forget. I never knew in the first place. Why should I have used italics?