PDA

View Full Version : GSIV

Soulpieced
07-09-2003, 08:57 AM
What are the odds that the test instance is delayed and not opened today? And the real questions are, if Simu can't keep a promise on 2 different deadlines, how are they supposed to create an entire new game that's fun and relatively bug free in 3 months?

Ilvane
07-09-2003, 09:25 AM
To be honest with you, I'd rather have delays and get a good game than get a game that had tons of bugs and crashes in it that was released on time.

I think if anything, they just want to make it the best..if it comes out a little late, that's fine too.

-A

Taernath
07-09-2003, 10:48 AM
The testing phase is what's supposed to get rid of bugs as well as introduce users to the new system.

Revalos
07-09-2003, 01:02 PM
I've got some good money on folks lambasting the boards with complaints that nothing works in the Beta instance and they think GS4 is going to suck.

And really...they're calling it beta, but this is really Alpha2...there are going to be a lot of broken/not implemented things. We're going to debug, and everyone who's debugged before knows that it sucks big time.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
07-09-2003, 01:39 PM
It's clear that Simu is a fly by the seat of your pants organization. Hell, they can't even figure out their own experience system. GS4 IS going to suck. It's readily apparent when you look at the online documentation (which is laughably incomplete). When GM’s who are developing the new spells contradict that so not comprehensive documentation (Perfect example – Lore’s will give a BONUS, not be required. Yet some GM’s say they will be required).

Can they answer what a staff will be in GS4? Its core to training if you are a pure. How about things like bard songs and impact the level cap will have on them? Sure, “it’ll be adjusted”, but no one can answer how much.

What about redux?
What about ambush?
Combat leadership means what?
Manuevers?
Guild skills and how they will be reallocated?

Granted I haven’t bothered to read the bullshit over in the GS4 folder for about 2 weeks now, so some may have been vaguely answered. Lets be realistic though. We are looking at something they claim to have been working on for quite a long time.

I’ll be goddamned if I’m going to play a guessing game of which training path my characters should take, when the folks designing it don’t even know. My tolerance for this game will be at an all time low when GS4 goes live. They better have their shit together, or I’ll be selling for cash before you can say “God damn this game sucks, didn’t they plan on a damn thing?”

imported_Kranar
07-09-2003, 01:42 PM
I think GSIV will be a success, but the GMs need to get it far better organized than it is now.

September release? Not without serious problems in the way. But there will be a release sometime in the future, and I am confident by then the GMs will get their act together and make for a great game.

07-09-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Kranar
I think GSIV will be a success, but the GMs need to get it far better organized than it is now.

I'm pretty sure it's going to suck ass. In GS3, you can have a powerful character with a lot of skills. In GS4, you can't, or at least, not to the same extent.

60 less levels = 60 less levels to fit in secondary skills. GS4=half assed idea that will fall on it's face.

I'm just guessing, but I'm pretty familiar with the proposed systems and the documentation that has been made available. It looks like there is nearly no incentive to level at all.

imported_Kranar
07-09-2003, 02:40 PM
<< 60 less levels = 60 less levels to fit in secondary skills. >>

60 less levels does not mean 60 less levels to fit in secondary skills. If the value of each rank in a skill is increased, then it makes no difference.

If tomorrow spell aiming gave +2 for every rank, but you could only get 100 ranks max, then that would be the same as if today spell aiming give +1 for every rank, but I could only get 200 ranks max.

I think people need to look at this a bit more indepth.

Edaarin
07-09-2003, 02:44 PM
But...they did away with increasing the skill increment, didn't they?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
07-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
But...they did away with increasing the skill increment, didn't they?

Indeed they did. Exactly why I think its a half assed effort to piece together something on a rushed timeline with no plan at all. They couldn't deliver as advertised, so we GS3 tweaked, not a true GS4. It's failure to deliver on promises, is what will ultimately drive me from the game.

Remember, fuck me once, shame on you. Fuck me twice, shame on me. I'm not going through 7 more years of bullshit while they try to figure out how to code it.:moon:

imported_Kranar
07-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Why would you be screwed over with reallocation available?

I mean, I am confident that it will be a good game, but who knows... what specifically makes you think the GMs will screw us over?

Keep in mind, lack of information on GSIV means that we don't know if it's going to be good or not, lack of information doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game.

Soulpieced
07-09-2003, 03:31 PM
In regards to the bardic question, as of now, the amount of ranks for all bardsongs will stay the same, as will the bonuses for elemental targeting and barrier. In other words, any bard in the game who wishes to have all 10x gear AND 430 will have to double spells for at least 15 trains. (10x sonic gear is 79 ranks)

07-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Kranar
Why would you be screwed over with reallocation available?

I mean, I am confident that it will be a good game, but who knows... what specifically makes you think the GMs will screw us over?

Keep in mind, lack of information on GSIV means that we don't know if it's going to be good or not, lack of information doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game.

Well that ROI of 2 per rank you were mentioning was thrown out the window. Regardless, 60 less levels is a lot less time for stat growth and it's a hell of a lot less training points----FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE.

GS3 You just get more bang for your experience. GS4 it will be more difficult to level, and there is less payoff when you actually do.

They also added skills to the mangler, and gave us less (overall) training points. There really is no positive side to GS4.

The only way they'll be able to keep their customer base is constant events/quests, which the GM's are obviously unable to do.

-One man's INFORMED opinion

Scott
07-09-2003, 03:59 PM
<<The only way they'll be able to keep their customer base is constant events/quests, which the GM's are obviously unable to do.>>

Right, cause the 1000 people that signed that petition are really going to leave.

<<GS3 You just get more bang for your experience. GS4 it will be more difficult to level, and there is less payoff when you actually do. >>>

Eh? Umm, ok.

imported_Kranar
07-09-2003, 04:26 PM
The 1000 people who signed that petition got their wish to come true.

Revalos
07-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Personally, I'm on the side of those who think it will be a better game. Why? Because everyone obsessed with experience and numbers will either adapt or quit. So that's less ASDSEXPers to deal with for me, better chances of getting merchant services, and more ability to participate in quests.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Coupled with the ability for me to stick around Solhaven for a long time given the fact that I'll be reduced back to early Bonespear levels, more new skills from CM, and an all around easier interface, I don't see a downside here.

Sure, they may lose people...heck...this could mean that the company could concievably fold in the future because of low revenues. But that future is 10 years off, and I hope I'm not around then.

Xcalibur
07-09-2003, 05:47 PM
nah... it will be very bad.
You don't change what is good, gs3 was good, they put GPIII cause of some people that abused spells + spells + spells +redux

They screw it for 5% of population.

Just analyse it... Gs4 is a huge project, and when you look at what will be gs4 (more tps at first, but HELL more stuff to train in) you know that it will chock some people.

Simple question, why gs4 when gs3 was good?

simple answer, anyone that says it's not true deserve to be shot... answer is CASH

So if they do gs4, since they are a compagny that wants more profit, there's a reason... a reason why gs4 is there.
No more dream or meditate to get experience, 112 hours to level at higher train...
there's something we don't know

Scott
07-09-2003, 06:31 PM
All online games change. The only difference is, Gemstone is changing the name as well. Everquest, DAOC, Shadowbane.... they all changed. Hell there is going to be an Everquest II very soon. I mean even games like Warcraft III change when you play multiplayer, you either download the new "patch" and deal with the changes, or you don't play online. Keeping a game the same get repetitve, and you start losing people. GS4 will be something new, something that old and new players will enjoy.

<<<Simple question, why gs4 when gs3 was good? >>>

Why not make GS3 better...... I'm not trying to be rude but, that question is retarded. Why make new cars every year? Why add cable channels when you already have a lot of channels you enjoy? Why do you make computers better when they already work fine? Changing something sometimes works out for the best.

imported_Kranar
07-09-2003, 06:44 PM
<< Because everyone obsessed with experience and numbers will either adapt or quit. >>

I think you're a little mistaken. Those who are obsessed with experience and numbers have more to look forward to, since optimization will become less obvious. The less obvious it is to optimize, the more of an advantage those who optimize have.

Don't be fooled into thinking that there's a game system that can't be exploited. Those who spend ample time researching methods the new game mechanics, will come out on top.

That's why I'm looking forward to GSIV.

Revalos
07-09-2003, 11:21 PM
Well...the test instance was up...and then there were massive flaws, and they told us all to leave and come back tommorrow. So in a way...everyone's right.

Prestius
07-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Well .. there were massive flaws in the one system the Alpha testers couldn't test, the Character Manager.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the whole of GS4 has massive flaws.

Welcome to Testing ;-)

-P

Revalos
07-09-2003, 11:35 PM
Bah...I was just about to edit my post to say that. Oh well..yes, the CMGR was brokeadoke.

Soulpieced
07-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Fan-freaking-tastic. Over an hour+ sitting in the CM with the only thing to look forward to is a corrupted character and not being able to log in.

Bonus Skill Name (Training pts left: 14 phy 1 mnt)
-----------------------------------------------------------
195 Two Weapon Combat
195 Armor Use
290 Shield Use
290 Combat Maneuvers
120 Brawling
25 Ambush
195 Combat Leadership
150 Physical Fitness
70 Dodging
74 Arcane Symbols
185 Spell Research
25 Mental Mana Control
40 Trading
140 Pickpocketing

Meriman
07-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Cripes, My luck sucks, open for a short window each day an I miss the farkin window.

I need to glue myself to the computer so I get a jab at this thing.

Taernath
07-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Arcane symbols? Is that scroll reading?

Captain Amby
07-15-2003, 01:40 PM
if gs4 is gunna keep with how they're gunna make empaths be (rather liking them to sit on their asses all day) I'm gunna just leave. I didnt build my character to be a feasible warpuff just for them to change that on me.

StrayRogue
07-15-2003, 01:59 PM
Good point Soulpieced. How in Gods name they are going to be able to make ALOT of new spells, additions and such in a matter of weaks (no Animate Dead and Minor Summoning is barely started, they keeping asking the Sorcs for help on this one), considering their past record of hashing things up completely, I doubt there is a 0.1% chance GS4 will be released on date and bug free.

As someone told me recently, "GS4 will either save Gemstone, or destroy it".

Gokkem
07-15-2003, 02:22 PM
Heh. I don't know, everyone is so addicted. What are you going to do? Quit because GSIV isn't released on time? No, you'll keep plugging away, tryin to get levels whether it takes a year or 3 for GSIV to be released. It is sad; simu reminds me of the neighborhood crack dealer. They'll shit on you over and over yet we keep coming back for more.

Captain Amby
07-15-2003, 07:38 PM
ehh perhaps I'm not so addicted. I play maybe a couple hours a month these days.

Soulpieced
07-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Captain Amby
Posts 118
Registered 7-10-2003

118 posts in 6 days isn't addicted?

Captain Amby
07-16-2003, 07:53 PM
I didnt say I didnt like talking :D
I just dont play GS a lot, as in the *Game* pbbth

Soulpieced
07-16-2003, 07:57 PM
And this is a forum that talks ABOUT that game.

Captain Amby
07-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Most of my online friends are from GS, I've played there since 95 or so. So what do they like to talk about? GS.. Invasions.. feuds.. the like. So what do I keep being informed of? The game. Therefore.. I like to talk about it. And.. if you do read some of my other posts.. I dont always talk about GS. ::smooch::