PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to get lich to play nice with psinet

Jaimaltz
06-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Decided to give lich a try, and see if I could get it working with psinet. I read that it's best to remove psinet first, and then go about dealing with lich.

But I can't seem to get lich to work with psinet. I uninstalled psinet and then installed lich. That seemed to work fine, and was able to login by clicking on the lich icon which then launches the SGE. Next, I installed psinet (after a bit of regedit to get it to actually install again), and now I can't get lich to work.

I get a "Connection to the game has been lost. You will need to login to continue playing" as soon as I try to login. On the game screen it says

Attempting to contact the game server...
Negotiation failure.

That's with clicking on the lich icon. If I click on the SGE icon, it loads fine, but only has psinet loaded, not lich.

Running stormfront on winxp. Any ideas?

Renian
06-09-2008, 08:10 PM
>?lich se
The PsiNet Library sent you this article:

[=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=]
Article "Lich SE" [AID #762]

Lich is not my program. I did not make it and I don't really care if you can't get it to work.

With that said, here are some basic instructions- if they do not work, and you contact me for help, I'm likely to be irate.

Essential bits of knowledge

1) PsiNet is not compatible with Lich's host redirection. You must use the registry method.
2) PsiNet must be closest to the game. If it detects that its connection to the game is being redirected or intercepted, it will fail to run.
3) This means, install PsiNet LAST.
4) Lich cannot handle launch instructions whose parameters include a space. Therefore, PsiNet2 must be installed to a folder which does NOT have spaces in it. For good measure, put Lich in a folder without spaces too.

Instructions:
1. Uninstall Lich and PsiNet.
2. Reinstall Lich, making sure it is in a folder that contains no spaces.
3. Go to start->all programs->Lich.
4. Click "Install to Registry".
5. Install PsiNet2 into a folder that contains no spaces.
6. Load Gemstone.

Credit for the first version goes to Renian. If this doesn't work, don't contact me.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

If you start getting multiple instances of Lich running then you have Psinet pointing to Lich and Lich pointing to Psinet.
Start over. Uninstall both and delete all lich files. Set Simu AutoLaunch registry back so it points to the SIMU launcher

Instructions:
2. Install the Simutronics launcher from http://www.play.net/software/lnchinst.exe.
(This will restore the registry to default and correct settings. You do NOT need to uninstall the launcher first. Make sure you are installing the LAUNCHER, not the ENTRY.)
- AutoSGE should run Stormfront without psinet or lich attached at this point
- if Psinet asks to be installed then the registry setting is wrong.
3. Reinstall Lich, making sure it is in a folder that contains no spaces.
4. Go to start->all programs->Lich.
5. Click "Install to Registry". (Simu Autolaunch registry entry changes to point to the lich)
6. Install PsiNet2 into a folder that contains no spaces. (Simu AutoLaunch registry entry changes to point to PsiNet)
7. Load Gemstone.

Now when AutoSGE launches the Game:
AutoSGE -> Psinet -> Lich -> Stormfront

Communication occurs:
Simu Server <- Psinet <- Lich <- Stormfront

--Gabric

[=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=]

Nilandia
06-09-2008, 08:12 PM
In other words, install Lich to the registry, then run the SGE as normal.

Gretchen

Jaimaltz
06-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks Renian! That was really helpful, and I eventually got it to work.

Instructions:
2. Reinstall Lich, making sure it is in a folder that contains no spaces.
3. Go to start->all programs->Lich.
5. Install PsiNet2 into a folder that contains no spaces.
6. Load Gemstone. "

This didn't end up working for me, I eventually figured it out though. I did these steps:

2. Reinstall Lich, sticking it in C:\Lich
3. Go to start->all programs->Lich
5. Attempt to install PsiNet, fail
6. Delete every reference to PsiNet in regedit
7. Delete "application data" from my local profile
8. Reboot
9. Try to install PsiNet, get an error (ignorable, I force installed it)
10. Load Gemstone
11. Do a bunch of quick testing, to make sure the psinet features I use still work fine.

Yay, it works now!

Shaelun
06-12-2008, 04:18 AM
Just to point out, I'm quite certain that this is wrong: "4) Lich cannot handle launch instructions whose parameters include a space. Therefore, PsiNet2 must be installed to a folder which does NOT have spaces in it. For good measure, put Lich in a folder without spaces too."

I have Lich installed to "C:\Program Files\Lich" and all my Simutronics programs installed to "C:\Program Files\SIMU\" and it works fine for me with WinXP Pro. I also got PsiNet and Lich working together without moving anything: http://forum.gsplayers.com/showpost.php?p=650235&postcount=17