PDA

View Full Version : Crosspost from Official Boards: Making Magic Mystical...

Kitsun
12-29-2003, 01:00 AM
Posted this idea on the official boards but I figured I'd post it here to see if I can get any other questions/comments/concerns/opinions. Its probably just a dream but I think it'd be hella cool.

============================

What I hear all the time under the role-playing categories is that spontaneous and new role-play is immensely desired and exciting. The problem in Gemstone is that our BEST avenue for that is limited by ingame mechanics. What am I talking about? Magic! In gemstone, magic has lost its sparkle because almost everything about it can be found on a spell list. We know that when we find a potion, we can get a bard to sing to it, or a wizard to cast elemental detection to find which spell on the spell list it truly is. And only bad things can happen when you mix potions, they both explode and your hand gets injured.

A breathe of life to the magic of Elanthia would be attached to a sort of alchemy system. My description will make it so it has little impact and effect upon the already mechanical magical combat system, what I want is chaotic magic for role-play purposes.

I want to be able to mix some pure water, some tree bark and a bubbling concoction in order to make a Potion of Green Skin that will turn you green as a leaf for a day!

How about a smooth stone, an old boot and a black bubbling brew to make some Stone Boots of Stomping that will make you stomp every direction when worn!

You find an odd foul smelling potion and decide to have a drink! Woe to you, it’s a potion of stink that will make you smell for a week!

Under a rock you find a muddy potion. Loe and behold, it’s a potion of Mountainous Mass, your as strong as a mountain! But it’ll take you a minute to walk around.

A misty black potion can contain the Potion of Dark Powers. Your eyes and mouth seem to leak out darkness. Every so often, a trail of murky black smoke emits from the back of your pants…hey even bad guys fart, and this potion gave you gas.

Tired of your grumpy old friend that’s always speaking solemnly? Slip some Potion of Happiness into his mug. He’ll be cheery for a day! It could fix his demeanor so he couldn’t change back to glum unless he finds the proper counter-potion for it!

Neighboring beautiful princess spoiling your happy marriage? Throw a Mixture of Massive Moles at her! She’ll now be so hideous your husband won’t look ever see her again without shuddering!

The possibilities are endless!

Create dozens, or hell, hundreds of different mundane little worthless trinkets fall off monsters of all ages. Make them generate hidden in out of the way places. Have some traveling merchants peddle some odd items with magical qualities that are otherwise worthless. Have some store bought.

The potion creation could be affected by: The order the ingredients are mixed, the amount mixed, the time of day, the time of year, the season.

Perhaps make it all random or have a primary liquid have an affect on the effect of the potion. Make a large table for the ingredients and possible mixture possibilities. If the creator fails to mix a known potion, it will default or failure and randomly pick from a batch of ODD effects. Like a potion of stink, a nail of neutrality or a stick of stuffiness.

During the winter, you have more of a chance of making a Wand of Falling Snow. Have it be similar to the little trick Snow Elves use to snowball people.

During a sunny day in River’s Rest, you have a better chance of making a Powder of Rosey Cheeks.

You can affect the FEATURE system! A Stick of Static Charge can make people’s hair stand on end for hours. A Feather of Flushed Features can make someone red for a while!

People could have clumsy alchemists, always trying out new brews and ingredients and trying to find new test subjects. Poor people who’ve been cursed or enchanted would be ever seeking remedies. Tricksters and pranksters could use them to cause chaos. Suitors could use them to spruce up their charms. Maidens can make themselves look more virtuous! Vengeance can be had without spilling a drop of blood!

We can affect how characters are controlled as well!

Imagine a Slipper of Lost Leagues where it takes you in random directions when you try to walk in any one direction.

A Shield of Faint Courage may make you hesitant to ever leave a stance beyond neutral.

A Short Sword of Stunning Stupidity could keep forcing you into a higher stance and terrible attacks.

Of course, finding or purchasing remedies to such potions should be cheap. Or even an expensive mechanized way to have certain ailments removed by the alchemist.

There’s my dream. Someone make it happen. I’m waiting.

Halfsilver
12-29-2003, 12:51 PM
That sounds like a neat idea, Kitsun. Definitely would offer a lot of opportunities for roleplay.

Get any response on the official boards?

Kitsun
12-29-2003, 12:59 PM
I got about two posts before it managed to get veered off topic. Nothing from anyone in red, however. I guess they don't like my idea =*(

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Kitsun
You find an odd foul smelling potion and decide to have a drink! Woe to you, it’s a potion of stink that will make you smell for a week!

Tayre already found that one. Except I think he got an enhanced version that makes you stink forever.

I like the idea though.

Edit to add:

In addition, I would be wary of drinking anything I just found, especially if it smelled funky. I mean c'mon now. You wouldn't even drink a bottle of coke if somebody left it lying around would you?

Now imagine yourself walkin' down the street. There's this troll and it tries to kill your ass. So you fuck it up. And you take it's stuff. And you're all like "hey cool it had this nasty ass potion with it. Lemme drink it."

[Edited on 12-29-2003 by Neff]

AnticorRifling
12-29-2003, 01:12 PM
I don't think anyone off the street should be able to make the potions. Wizards and sorcerers would be best suited to make them and either drop them around town or sell them. That and critter founds maybe but I don't see a warrior having the attention span to mix ingredients or follow detailed instructions that are involved in potion making.

Other than that not a bad idea.

Anebriated
12-29-2003, 01:20 PM
That mixes in with something the rangers have been trying to get for a long time. Which is the ability to create our own tinctures with things we forage for... All in all its a good concept though.

Kitsun
12-29-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Neff
[quote]
In addition, I would be wary of drinking anything I just found, especially if it smelled funky. I mean c'mon now. You wouldn't even drink a bottle of coke if somebody left it lying around would you?

Now imagine yourself walkin' down the street. There's this troll and it tries to kill your ass. So you fuck it up. And you take it's stuff. And you're all like "hey cool it had this nasty ass potion with it. Lemme drink it."
[Edited on 12-29-2003 by Neff]

Well, the mixtures found would be random in nature. Perhaps critters could be spawned with the effects of the contents found on them OR it could just be a random quirky effect.

You found an item off one troll and notice it had unusually lustrous hair, but you decide not to drink this fuming bottle of potentially potent funk, you pawn it off to some silly wizard who discovers that his hair is now all silky and smooth, just the way he always wanted it...if he had ever bothered to care for his hair anyway.

The next day you find another troll, with unusually bulging muscles. You decide, well that would make me a supurb armsna and take a quaff! Doh! That was the potion of stink.

Kitsun
12-29-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
I don't think anyone off the street should be able to make the potions. Wizards and sorcerers would be best suited to make them and either drop them around town or sell them. That and critter founds maybe but I don't see a warrior having the attention span to mix ingredients or follow detailed instructions that are involved in potion making.

Other than that not a bad idea.

Well, I didn't want to get into the nitty gritty details of it. However, I envision that anyone determined enough to dig up ingredients and find the right amount of solutions and potions should be able to do it.

Of course, magical classes should have some bonus. They would more readily default to potions that fit their class to a lesser extent their race. Rather than potions of foul bodily odor, maybe they'd default to potions of sparkles in embarassing public places.

We really don't want to exclude the village idiot from trying to make a Brew of Big Brains! Who will only succeed of making a potion of Enlarged Feet so his boots will never.

Most of the more 'interesting' items or effects should be made to be found, foraged or bought from more rare, traveling merchants. No ez-shops for it. So you would have to have a certain amount of dedication to dabble.

After some testing, people would find that its best to let the professionals handle it.

Parkbandit
12-29-2003, 02:15 PM
Like cobbling or fletching, alchemy could be a skill learned by anyone I would think.

Great ideas Kitsun, but you missed a rather obvious one.

A pure silver potion. When poured in Falgrin's Park, it forces everyone there to give Falgrin their coins, gems and wands. Think of the time it would save me.

Kitsun
12-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Hmm...

The Potion of Porous Pockets. The poor drinker of this potion will have silver coins drop out of his pockets every few seconds as small magical holes appear and disappear at random.

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 02:40 PM
Falgrin drank the stink potion too. That is all.

Makkah
12-29-2003, 03:05 PM
I have been looking forward to alchemy and especially poison-making for a long time as Artisan Guild skills (5+ years). It's a damn shame they'll never get coded, like the majority of cool GS ideas (::cough1025cough::)

rht

Kitsun
12-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Help me make some noise about this on the official boards! As far as I'm concerned, they probably think they need a HUGE RP project to do! We'll make them think this is it.

phantasm
12-22-2010, 04:19 AM
Terrible idea man.

BulletSponge
12-28-2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/cortlesteeze/pix/ThreadNecro.jpg

NocturnalRob
12-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Terrible idea man.
Hahaha...the nonchalance cracked me up.