PDA

View Full Version : Boston

Soulpieced
12-29-2003, 10:30 AM
My girlfriend and I are thinking of taking a road trip up to the Boston area for spring break. Might there be anyone from the area that has any sites to see or things to do there? Just looking for ideas.

Weedmage Princess
12-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Depends on what you're looking to do.

The Aquarium is pretty cool, so is the Museum of Science..Faneuil Hall if you're looking to do some shopping, Haymarket Square, Newbury Street... I don't know if they are still doing whale watches in the cold weather..but if so, that's a good time..it's right next to the Aquarium. There's Chinatown (South part of downtown Boston) and some really nice Italian restaurants at the North End. OH and if your girlfriend wouldn't mind, you should go check out the Celtics ;)

I'm sure there's more to do up here, but that's off the top of my head.

MaryJane
12-29-2003, 10:54 AM
I can't believe she forgot.. THE NEW BIG DIG TUNNELS!!

Souzy
12-29-2003, 10:56 AM
The Big Dig is a waste of money!!!!!!!!! What are you planning to do up in Boston?

Weedmage Princess
12-29-2003, 11:04 AM
Well the southbound one isn't finished yet even though they let us drive through it...I love how you're in the all nice, new shiny part...then you go into the filthy grimy one with the quarter mile stretch of speed bumps..haha

MaryJane
12-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Ya, I just drove through it. It's like, everyone's breaking. IT'S JUST A TUNNEL!! Then we were going through the grimey part and the truck in front of me hit this huge bump and looked like it was going to tip over. It was pretty funny. Do you find those lights when you first go in from the bridge, blinding?

Is spring break in March? Duck tours are fun. Make sure you buy the duck beaks!! They go out of the Prudential. You should go to the top of the Prudential too. Nice view.

longshot
12-29-2003, 11:13 AM
I was in Boston for a long weekend a little over two years ago.

Take a walk through the commons. It's really nice, and your girl will like it. The Japanese girl I picked up at the career fair did.

I went to China Town also. I don't know how adventerous you are when it comes to dining, but there was some reallly good stuff. I would pass on the cartilage of the pigs ears... this was not one of my favorites. The Japanese people that I was with thought it would be really funny to tell me it was a special kind of jello... dickheads...

There's house of blues, if you like that sort of thing.

There's a bunch of cool stuff.

If you ever need a guide for anywhere, I highly recommend Lonely Planet. Those guides rock.

Souzy
12-29-2003, 11:16 AM
The roads and pot holes suck in Boston. My girl got a flat tire because of it. But, if your gonna come to Boston, you HAVE to go eat Dim Sum at China Pearl!!! Then go get some Ice tea with pearl at this restaurant across from Apollo (I forgot the name of that restaurant that you get the ice tea at). Then you can visit the Boston Aquarium, that place is pretty cool. Or go shopping at Copley Place, Newbury st., Quincy Market, Downtown Crossing, ect. Faneuil Hall is nice too.

For the night scene, The Rack, Jillian's, Water Works (since your planning to come during spring), Landsdown st. (a whole bunch of clubs on that strip), Boston Bowl (if you decide not to sleep, it's a 24 hr. bowling/pool place), others but my sickness is taking over me, so I can't think.

MaryJane
12-29-2003, 11:17 AM
WP - SHE SAID DIM SUM!! Someone in Boston does know what it is!!

I hate the Rack. I always get in fights with the North Shore guys when I go there :(

Souzy
12-29-2003, 11:20 AM
LOL, I try to go to eat dim sum every weekend. I <3 Dim sum. Fights suck, I try to avoid them. Water Works is pretty cool though. I like how it's outside.

MaryJane
12-29-2003, 11:28 AM
I've only been there a few times. It is cool the way it is outside. You can play volleyball!

Have you ever been to the Matrix? I wanted to go there, but I've heard mixed reviews.

Souzy
12-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Matrix? I don't even think I've heard of it. It has to be an old club with a new name. I've been to almost every club in Boston. I use to clubbin' there alot when I was like 17ish and on. Other than that, I can't stand going out there anymore, LOL.

Weedmage Princess
12-29-2003, 11:38 AM
OMFG Last night I wanted Dim Sum so badly while at work and NONE OF THE DAMN CHINESE RESTAURANTS IN SUCKY SOMERVILLE HAD ANY! I was complaining to Mary Jane and Tijay about it all night I think.

[Edited on 12-29-2003 by Weedmage Princess]

Drew2
12-29-2003, 11:47 AM
what is Dim Sum

Souzy
12-29-2003, 11:53 AM
I think there's a Dim Sum restaurant that you can go to in Waltham. I think it's in Waltham? It's another China Pearl, that serves Dim Sum during the evening.

Oh and Tayre, dim sum is the best thing that can ever happen to you. I wanna say it's kinda like a brunch chinese appetizers kinda thing. Not sure what American's catagorize it as.

Weedmage Princess
12-29-2003, 11:56 AM
I've always likened it to a meatball..the ones I had are like that..flavored with what tastes like ginger. I love Dim Sum ::hugs her menu::

Souzy
12-29-2003, 11:57 AM
LOL, sui mai (however you spell it).

Ravenstorm
12-29-2003, 02:06 PM
Once upon a time, back in the dark ages when I as in college, a bunch of us drove up to Boston for breakfast. Course, it was more like lunch by the time we got there.

Anyway, we went up there to hit this one place that made the best croissants ever. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where it was. It was off the Commons area and connected to all those overhead walkways. It's the name of the building it's in that I can't recall. It's a large one, fairly well known building. Mostly offices I think it was but some shops and restaurants as well.

Maybe someone from the area knows what building I mean. Of course, the croissant shop is most likely not there any longer but you can try finding it for the hell of it. Damn good croissants.

Raven

Souzy
12-29-2003, 02:10 PM
I have no idea Raven. Wish I could tell ya.

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 02:11 PM
Whatever you do, don't talk to the natives. They're scary and hard to understand. Just nod politely and then run away when they try to initiate conversation.

Souzy
12-29-2003, 02:12 PM
LOL, Boston accents aren't all that bad. Not as bad as NJ accents *runs*

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Lalana
LOL, Boston accents aren't all that bad. Not as bad as NJ accents *runs*

I'm just sore because I picked up the accent living in Maine. Now, if you can imagine me drunk(it's not that hard, i'm probably drunk right now.), imagine a guy going from an NJ accent to an NYC accent to a boston accent all in the course of one sentence. It's hilariously disturbing and I hate boston.

Souzy
12-29-2003, 02:19 PM
I don't think I have a Boston accent. :?: But the accent is bad, I agree. As far as Maine goes, I don't know what kind of accent they have there. I live in Worcester (Woosta). The accents here are by far the worse I've heard in my life. They say "cah" instead of "car". They say "pahk" instead of "park". It's disgustingly annoying, ask anyone in MA who's ever heard a Woosta accent.

Edited to add they say "hut" instead of "hot". WTF is that? :barf:

[Edited on 12-29-2003 by Lalana]

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 02:20 PM
That's pretty much exactly how the mainers talk. Except they use mainer slang with it.

"That's a wicked nice cah Chad. Is that yoows theyah? Pahked ovah in the doow yahd?"

"uhh, wtf old man?"

And that is the story of my first week in bangor. The end.

Snapp
12-29-2003, 02:23 PM
Boston was lots of fun when I went up there! We probably spent the most time in China Town. It's been a few years, so I can't remember the names.. but there were great places to eat.

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Why would you go to boston to visit chinatown? Pssht.

"Yeah I went to Beijing last week."

"what'd you do?"

"oh you know. Hung around in bostonville."

Souzy
12-29-2003, 02:29 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't it make you wanna rip off your ears? I wanna die when I hear this, "Pahk yuh cah in the pahking lut" OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I train my nieces and nephews to not speak with that horrible accent.

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 02:29 PM
It doesn't necessarily make me want to rip off my own ears..But I wouldn't be opposed to stapling THEIR mouths shut.

Souzy
12-29-2003, 02:35 PM
People from Long Island have funny accents too. Then again that's off subject. So yes, Boston accents are bad, I advise Soulpiece to not catch it while he's down here.

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Making fun of Boston is one thing. Making fun of New York is something COMPLETELY different. Please refrain from forcing me to kill you.

Love,
Neff

On topic: I do not like Boston. It is a scummy city. But the surrounding areas are nice. go to Shrewsbury.

Edit: Grammar.

[Edited on 12-29-2003 by Neff]

Souzy
12-29-2003, 02:50 PM
WTF? Shrewsbury?!?!?! WTF is in Shrewsbury? It's like literally 10 mins away from me. There's nothing fun in Shrewsbury!!!!!!! Nothing but boring rich folks. If you think Boston is a scummy city, so isn't NY, hehe. They're both dirty, but you can find things to do. Actually NYC is better to go visit. But Boston is way better than Shrewsbury!

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 02:54 PM
I just like Shrewsbury because the prettiest girl i've ever dated in my life is from there. Man she was hot...

Souzy
12-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Have you ever been to Shrewsbury? Shrewsbury is like hicksville.

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 02:56 PM
Hicksville? No way, the part of it I was in at least was uber nice. My girlfriend's house(by jersey standards) was like a million dollar place. Did I mention she was hot and shrewsbury is cool?

Souzy
12-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Let me reiterate, Shrewbury is full of boring rich folks. "Like omigod we're driving in Worcester, lock your doors!" I hope she wasn't uptight.

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Of course she was uptight. She was prude too. We didn't date for long. But GOD she was so hot. If I was ever gonna marry out of shallowness, I'd marry her. She was worth millions and did I mention she was the hottest girl i've ever dated?

Souzy
12-29-2003, 03:05 PM
Ugh God Neff. Really, when I met those kind of girls, I just wanted to slap some reality into them. And I've hung around a few girls from Shrewsbury when I was younger. They walked around like their shit don't stink and all they did was suck dick. Needless to say, I hung around them for like a week and then kicked them to the curb. I don't like hanging around fake people.

Ravenstorm
12-29-2003, 03:07 PM
Actually NYC is better to go visit.

So true. NYC is the center of the civilized universe.

Anyway, one thing that struck me about my one trip to Boston is that Boston drivers are crazy. In NYC, drivers - especially cabbies - won't bother slowing down for pedestrians but they will at least swerve to go around them. I swear in Boston drivers aimed for people crossing the street.

On a prior note, is there something called the Pan Am Building? For some reason that comes to mind.

Raven

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Ugh God Neff. Really, when I met those kind of girls, I just wanted to slap some reality into them. And I've hung around a few girls from Shrewsbury when I was younger. They walked around like their shit don't stink and all they did was suck dick. Needless to say, I hung around them for like a week and then kicked them to the curb. I don't like hanging around fake people.

Yes, well, in my unsmarter years I was an uppity kid from Princeton. When I went to other states I even sought out those types of people because I thought it was what I was supposed to do! Now i'm less unsmarter and poor. So I slum it!

Souzy
12-29-2003, 03:15 PM
Are you talking about Logan Airport? LOL, that's the only thing I can think of when you mention Pan Am. We do drive crazy up here, it's all about making moves, LMAO. The pedestrian's are crazy up here! Who the hell would cross the street when the light is green? I'm actually one of the people who pretend like I'm driving straight for them when they cross then swirve when I'm about 3 in. away from them. The look on their faces are funny, then I put my hand out the window and stick out my middle finger. I mean, there is a reason why they made that walk/don't walk signal right?

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 03:17 PM
I mean, there is a reason why they made that walk/don't walk signal right?

So you have something blinky to keep you entertained while you guage when is a good time to make a mad dash across the street. duh.

Souzy
12-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Neff

Yes, well, in my unsmarter years I was an uppity kid from Princeton. When I went to other states I even sought out those types of people because I thought it was what I was supposed to do! Now i'm less unsmarter and poor. So I slum it!

Shut up Neff, before I bust out with my nine and bust a cap in you. :smilegrin:

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Shut up Neff, before I bust out with my nine and bust a cap in you. :smilegrin:

OMG OMG! Good heavens. You're one of those people they told us about in the University aren't you? You know, the ones from the ghetto...Do you live in a tenement? OMG i'm sorry here's my wallet just don't hurt me!

Souzy
12-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Books don't mean nothing, I's got street smarts. There's no point of giving me your damn wallet if it's empty! Now I'm gonna have to shoot you. :flamed:

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Ha. My good chum I believe you've just caught yourself in a double negative. By stating that "books don't mean nothing", you are admitting that books in fact do have value in today's high society. So the joke, my good chum, is on you!

Bring it on, slanty. Don't make me get yuppie on you. :P

Souzy
12-29-2003, 03:28 PM
You just messed up the flow Neff. You were amusing me, now I'm gonna go back to being bored.

Oh and to stay on topic, someone said the Prudential. They have a restaurant on the top floor of the Prudential and it's very nice. So make a point to go eat there for dinner.

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Pssht yeah well...you were making me bored like 20 minutes ago. But I was nice enough not to say anything!

Souzy
12-29-2003, 03:35 PM
LMAO!!!! You're such a retard Neff, but you got me laughing. <3

12-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Do what any self respecting spring breaker does: Ditch the girl for a week of gallavanting in mexico somewhere drinking pure alcohol and getting the clap from the natives.

Souzy
12-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Myes the clap... :puke:

Snapp
12-29-2003, 06:48 PM
[i]Originally posted by Ravenstorm

Anyway, one thing that struck me about my one trip to Boston is that Boston drivers are crazy. In NYC, drivers - especially cabbies - won't bother slowing down for pedestrians but they will at least swerve to go around them. I swear in Boston drivers aimed for people crossing the street.
Raven

Funny you say that! To this day, if someone brings up "scary moments" I still remember my cab ride in Boston.. It was some crazy ass lady driver who literally HIT two people and kept going! She didn't even flinch and acted like nothing happened. Needless to say, we only took a cab once in Boston.

Souzy
12-29-2003, 06:57 PM
ROFLMAO!!!! Too funny!!! We all have stories I guess. Sometimes they're bums that are trying to make some money. My friends and I was walking in Downtown Crossing, some poor out of town car took a turn where some bum was standing on the corner. Of course it was like 9PM, so the car didn't notice that the bum leaped from the corner to the front of the car. So the car stopped automatically. My friends and I told the driver to keep on going and ignore the bum cos he wasn't hurt. There's my story :D

MaryJane
12-29-2003, 07:52 PM
There is nothing wrong with a Boston accent!! Southerners are the weird ones. You all just need a guide..

http://www.geocities.com/suckubus1/Boston.html

[Edited on 12-30-2003 by MaryJane]

Souzy
12-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by MaryJane
There is nothing wrong with a Boston accent!! Southerner's are the weird ones. You all just need a guide..

http://www.geocities.com/suckubus1/Boston.html

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! Oh good one :thumbsup:

Edited to fix it just for Mary J. :yes:

[Edited on 12-30-2003 by Lalana]

MaryJane
12-29-2003, 07:54 PM
NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

[Edited on 12-30-2003 by MaryJane]

ZGemstone
12-29-2003, 09:21 PM
Then go get some Ice tea with pearl at this restaurant across from Apollo...
Don't know about you guys, but I love going to the Apollo after last call and getting the biggest sushi boat they have.

[Edited on 12-30-2003 by ZGemstone]

ZGemstone
12-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm
Once upon a time, back in the dark ages when I as in college, a bunch of us drove up to Boston for breakfast. Course, it was more like lunch by the time we got there.

Anyway, we went up there to hit this one place that made the best croissants ever. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where it was. It was off the Commons area and connected to all those overhead walkways. It's the name of the building it's in that I can't recall. It's a large one, fairly well known building. Mostly offices I think it was but some shops and restaurants as well.

Maybe someone from the area knows what building I mean. Of course, the croissant shop is most likely not there any longer but you can try finding it for the hell of it. Damn good croissants.

Raven
Hmm...the only thing I can think of is the Prudential Center.

MaryJane
12-29-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by ZGemstone

Hmm...the only thing I can think of is the Prudential Center.

You know.. that's probably right. I forgot about all the shops down there. Buy the duck beaks there!!!

Ravenstorm
12-29-2003, 10:15 PM
Yes, I think that's it.

Check the Prudential Center for a shop that sells croissants. They were damn good. Course, that was about 15 years ago. :grin:

Raven

Souzy
12-30-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by ZGemstone

Then go get some Ice tea with pearl at this restaurant across from Apollo...
Don't know about you guys, but I love going to the Apollo after last call and getting the biggest sushi boat they have.

I use to go there a lot when my girl was a waitress there. That place is good.

Bobmuhthol
12-30-2003, 12:23 AM
Boston sucks. And so does Fenway Park.

Souzy
12-30-2003, 12:24 AM
Your only 12 Bob, what do you know?

Bobmuhthol
12-30-2003, 12:25 AM
I'm 13, kthx. I know that it sucks, that's what I know.

I'm like 20 minutes from Boston.

Souzy
12-30-2003, 12:29 AM
Your not even old enough to hit the night spots Bob. You obviously haven't been out in Boston that much to even know what the city has to offer. It's good, but like all cities it gets played out after a short period of time.

ZGemstone
12-30-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
Boston sucks. And so does Fenway Park.
Bite your tongue, Bob. Fenway is one of the finest places in the country to watch a ball game...

Anyone been to the .406 club?

Bobmuhthol
12-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Wrigley Stadium is.

Weedmage Princess
12-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Eh...I'm from NYC, and I like Boston. There are by far, a lot worse places than Boston..but I will say Boston has some of the WORST DRIVERS EVER!!! To Boston drivers, traffic lights are just suggestions and stop signs might as well not even exist...and if you're doing 80 MPH? You better be in the right lane..cause the middle lane is for nothing under 90..and the left lane, don't even try it unless you're qualifying for some NASCAR race.

But yeah, other than that, Boston's cool..you just got to know where to go, and of course who you're with always matters..the suckiest place in the world can be fun if you are with the right person/people. That being said, my favorite city (outside of NYC of course) is London ;)

Souzy
12-30-2003, 12:45 AM
.406? Dayam WTF is .406? Is that like the old M80?

ZGemstone
12-30-2003, 12:58 AM
From www.redsox.com:
Located behind home plate at Fenway Park, the .406 Club is a semi-private membership club offering the finest in ballpark entertaining. Following dinner, guests can watch the game from stadium-style theater seating located directly behind home plate. Enjoy a game in a climate-controlled environment with a panoramic view of Fenway Park. Individual games may be purchased for groups of 10 or more. For more information, please call 877-RED-SOX9 (877-733-7699).

In a nutshell it's the glassed in area above home plate. They serve a buffet for $25 that lasts until the 4th inning, then you can order things a la carte. It has it's good points and bad, bad being that it's indoors and you really don't get the feel of being at the park (noise, smells, etc). Good being you can get all the regular food (hotdogs, etc) and the buffet and they serve booze past the 7th inning.

It's worth checking it out atleast once, but I'd take a bleacher seat over the .406 club any day.

Ben
12-30-2003, 05:39 AM
I'm moving to Cambridge in Feb.

Weedmage Princess
12-30-2003, 06:40 AM
Oh no.

Souzy
12-30-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Ben

No comment :o

ZGemstone
12-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Jeeze, that's a pretty expensive place to live. I actually live, most of the time, a few towns away from Cambridge.