PDA

View Full Version : Elite XC on CBS

Apathy
06-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Utter garbage and a disgrace to the mixed martial art sport, imo.

Discuss.

Fallen
06-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Kimbo said it was good they stopped the fight cuzz he was going to hit that fucker in the ear again. I lolled.

Latrinsorm
06-01-2008, 12:19 AM
White boy had no shot against Kimbo. He had him and gave him up.

Jahira
06-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Nothing exciting. That girl fighting stuff has to stop. It is like watching the layup line....I mean WNBA.

BJ Penn vs GSP now that is what I want to see

Apathy
06-01-2008, 12:30 AM
I'd rather see A. Silva v GSP/Penn.

The sacrificial lamb almost beat Kimbo, lol. That guy is a joke.

Daniel
06-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Kimbo should have lost that fight. He was on the ground, doing nothing except getting his face reamed for the last 2 minutes of the second round.

Daniel
06-01-2008, 12:35 AM
The sacrificial lamb almost beat Kimbo, lol. That guy is a joke.

I wouldn't go that far.

Apathy
06-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Victim of hype suit you better?

Itachi
06-01-2008, 12:42 AM
fuck i missed it, anyone have a link to the kimbo fight yet?

Latrinsorm
06-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Ok, 1) the girl who won the girl fight was definitely cute and cuter than the other, and I insist that she was vaguely reminiscent of Jennifer Garner, who I utterly adore anyway.

2) Where did this Elite XC bullshit come from? I remember seeing on PTI that MMA was showing up on CBS, but wtf?

Methais
06-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Had the DVR record the news show after the fight in case it went over and even that shit went over so I only got to see Kimbo's fight up to about halway through round 2.

VIDEO LINK NOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

plz

Fallen
06-01-2008, 01:33 AM
It was on Showtime for a while. They try to mix the production values of Pro Wrestling with MMA.

UFC FTW.

Stunseed
06-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Shameless plug.

Pulver vs. Faber tomorrow night on VS.

Also, lol at Elite XC. UFC > EXC

Sean
06-01-2008, 02:05 AM
I went to the fights tonight. It was a lot of fun to be there in person.

Itachi
06-01-2008, 03:57 AM
http://mmalinker.com/xViewer.php?vidid=5128&vidt=i

Suppa Hobbit Mage
06-01-2008, 08:48 AM
I liked it when Kimbo popped the dudes ear like a zit. I'd say Kimbo needs to work on his stamina and ground game some more, but you gotta love him.

Fallen
06-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Kimbo is atleast showing growth and improvement. Is he still a poor fighter? Yes. Does he deserve the money he is making? Not really. Is it still nice to see a fighter evolve? Yes.

Hulkein
06-01-2008, 11:10 AM
It was entertaining to watch before going out. That fight before the Kimbo fight was good until the guy got poked in the eye.

Fallen
06-01-2008, 11:13 AM
I always liked Lawler.

Gallows Thief
06-01-2008, 12:17 PM
He is entertaining but his sprawl and ground game are not even remotely good. He needs alot of work there. A decent fighter would have pounded him unconscious or submitted him in the 2nd round. Also, wasnt that other guy supposed to have a suspect chin? Either they were wrong or Kimbo doesnt hit quite as hard as they say. He took some heavy shots and did pretty damn well.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
06-01-2008, 02:11 PM
So the show wasn't very good, and Kimbo was "in trouble" half the fight... You didn't have to watch it. Kimbo ended the fight, and generic white guy was out on his feet when the fight was stopped. The fact that it took him 5, yes 5 long seconds to so much as argue the stoppage says enough on its own.

The worst part of the show had to have been the ignorant, and usually naive announcing, but ohwell. Not everyone has charismatic pseudo-MMA stars like Joe Rogan sitting in their pocket.

Kimbo vs. Tank should've been on CBS, not this train wreck.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
06-01-2008, 02:14 PM
He is entertaining but his sprawl and ground game are not even remotely good. He needs alot of work there. A decent fighter would have pounded him unconscious or submitted him in the 2nd round. Also, wasnt that other guy supposed to have a suspect chin? Either they were wrong or Kimbo doesnt hit quite as hard as they say. He took some heavy shots and did pretty damn well.

That's another example of the awful XC announce crew. If he had a glass jaw of any kind, Kimbo would've destroyed him like he did Tank. Actually looked to take quite a few strong shots, but the referee was letting them go quite a bit. Way too long, IMHO.

Stanley Burrell
06-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Utter garbage and a disgrace to the mixed martial art sport, imo.

Discuss.

If they were rolling deep, like BRUCIE BABY, YEAH!! They'd just be able to expunge steaming piles of juiced up excrement at any and all foes like true ninjas.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
06-01-2008, 02:29 PM
If they were rolling deep, like BRUCIE BABY, YEAH!! They'd just be able to expunge steaming piles of juiced up excrement at any and all foes like true ninjas.

But not in the eyes, back of the head, or while the opponent is down.

Sean
06-01-2008, 02:46 PM
There were 7 undercard fights that weren't televised that were pretty good for the most part. Also watching Baroni get knocked out was worth it because he's a giant tool. Nick Serra also got fucked up which was fun to watch.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
06-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Nobody cares about any Serra other than Matt, though. :(

Sean
06-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Nobody cares about any Serra other than Matt, though. :(

True but getting beat by a guy who calls himself Weapon X and comes out in legion of doom gear is just embarassing.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
06-01-2008, 02:54 PM
LOLZ! WHAT!?! Pics or it didn't happen.

Itachi
06-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Maybe hes just a big fan of x-men

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/Sasuke916/wx.jpg

Hulkein
06-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Weapon-X is what Brian Dawkins' nickname is too. And it is after Wolverine, he has Wolverine figurines in his locker.

Methais
06-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Best part of the show was the Street Fighter IV trailer.

Hulkein
06-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Hah, that was great.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
06-02-2008, 01:36 AM
I thought the best part was watching dude's ear flop around, while simultaneously wishing I was watching a relevant fight that actually meant something to Mixed Martial Arts.

Like Lesnar vs. Mir II, with an unbiased ref.

Methais
06-02-2008, 03:59 AM
What did the ref do in that fight? Brock tapped out.

Skeeter
06-02-2008, 09:31 AM
The funniest thing today is listening to all the sports talk show hosts pretend like they don't watch MMA and dont' know anything about it. They are trying to pretend like MMA = Pro Wrestling.

I guess they are "above" MMA

AnticorRifling
06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
fuck i missed it, anyone have a link to the kimbo fight yet?

nothingtoxic.com has a link to it.

oldanforgotten
06-02-2008, 10:00 AM
LOL at the EliteXC in general, but the truth is, they are trying to push on a point that is unfortunately important for MMA to make money in the long run.

While the UFC has the best talent overall, they do NOT have all of the top fighters, and in fact, are choosing not to sign many of them. Some of the best fighters in the world are not in the UFC, and never will be, because MMA success is not really based on who's the best fighter, at least not yet, but rather who are people willing to pay to watch.

In addition to Fedor Emilianenko, you've also got Matt Lindland, Josh Barnett, Ricardo Arona, Gomi, and a host of others that the UFC hasn't signed. In all respects, the UFC wants to sign Emilianenko, but not at his price, but the others, they just don't want. People were booing at Lyoto Machida in his win over Ortiz, because technical fighters who avoid exchanges are seen as boring by the audiences.

EliteXC is trying to promote fighters in WWE style because production value and hype can sometimes build enough of an aura around a fighter so people want to see them anyway.

Stunseed
10-04-2008, 11:47 PM
ROFL @ Kimbo Slice KO in 14 seconds.

Drew2
10-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Ok, 1) the girl who won the girl fight was definitely cute and cuter than the other, and I insist that she was vaguely reminiscent of Jennifer Garner, who I utterly adore anyway.

God, you're so gay.

I say that with love.

Sean of the Thread
10-04-2008, 11:54 PM
I didn't think it was that bad tonight. The bitch fight was pretty good... that chick is hot.

SHAFT
10-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Gina carano is extremely sexy.

I'm glad kimbo lost. His fights are more entertaining when he's fighting nobodys in someones backyard. He should give mma up.

Sean of the Thread
10-05-2008, 12:40 AM
After reviewing the footage I think Kimbo took a dive. It was pretty obvious.

Methais
10-05-2008, 12:44 PM
ROFL @ Kimbo Slice KO in 14 seconds.

You know it's bad when the entire fight is on a video insert in the article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=3626044

Sean of the Thread
10-05-2008, 12:56 PM
he took a dive

Skeeter
10-05-2008, 02:12 PM
/agreed.

Methais
10-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Why would he take a dive?

Skeeter
10-05-2008, 02:43 PM
http://thesituationist.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/bag-o-cash.jpg

Jaimaltz
10-05-2008, 03:09 PM
What did the ref do in that fight? Brock tapped out.

The ref stopped Lesnar when he was punching the living shit out of Mir on the ground due to an unintentional strike to the back of the head. Even Mir admitted it was unintentional and the point deduction was unfair. It was the first time it happened, and not only did the ref make them stand up, he deducted a point away from Lesnar. It may or may not have changed the tone of the fight. Mir was in trouble when they made both of them stand up, and it's quite possible Lesnar could have knocked him out in the next 20 seconds if the ref hadn't done that.

99% of the time the ref just gives a verbal warning with no point deduction and doesn't stand them up on a first offense. That's the only time I've seen that happen.

Methais
10-05-2008, 07:46 PM
The ref stopped Lesnar when he was punching the living shit out of Mir on the ground due to an unintentional strike to the back of the head. Even Mir admitted it was unintentional and the point deduction was unfair. It was the first time it happened, and not only did the ref make them stand up, he deducted a point away from Lesnar. It may or may not have changed the tone of the fight. Mir was in trouble when they made both of them stand up, and it's quite possible Lesnar could have knocked him out in the next 20 seconds if the ref hadn't done that.

99% of the time the ref just gives a verbal warning with no point deduction and doesn't stand them up on a first offense. That's the only time I've seen that happen.

Yeah that part was pretty non-heterosexual.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
10-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Steve Mazzagatti did everything but throw a punch or kick of his own at Lesnar... I'm betting on orders from someone within the UFC, aswell.

Really, do any of the actual fight fans here think Dana White would watch a former PRO WRESTLER come into HIS cage and annihilate a bonafide UFC guy? HELL NO. Twice during that fight, Mir turned his head, stopped defending himself, and got a quick standup (one with a completely bullshit deduction on top of it) from Mazzagatti.

Any ref who isn't on the take would've called that fight for Lesnar, and John McCarthy stated as much in an interview with Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio (albeit without inferring that the fight was fixed).

Ahwell, everyone has to lose eventually (for one reason or another). I'll personally enjoy watching Mir's face get driven through the mat when Lesnar's XXXXL-gloved right hand makes contact in the rematch (when the gold is on the line).

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
10-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Ok... err, Lesnar called out Fedor... Maybe the guy is barking up the wrong tree on this one. *_*

Sean of the Thread
10-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Lesnar isn't exactly a pussy.

I don't like the wrestling gig either but he does seem serious about this.

SHAFT
10-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Lesnar has to beat Couture before he starts calling out Fedor. I think the best fight for Fedor is Arlovski. I can't see Barnett beating Fedor. Barnett is too undisciplined.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
10-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Well, at least now that Kimbo "got knocked out" by what the announcer was INSISTING was a "short jab" followed by "power looping punches", I think Lesnar will finally get the attention he deserves. If Lesnar takes a dive, though, I quit the industry.

NocturnalRob
10-06-2008, 10:41 AM
that fight was a fucking farce

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
10-06-2008, 10:51 AM
LOL @ them trying to show replays of it to display how legitimately he was knocked out. /backfire

Sean of the Thread
10-06-2008, 11:01 AM
I for one am done watching the shit after that fight.

Summertime
10-06-2008, 11:19 AM
I read CBS has spent millions hyping this crap.. and they practically built the whole thing around Kimbo. I never saw the interest in Kimbo... he never showed any legitimate skill, and fought whats being described as 'tomato cans' and nobodies.

Getting knocked out only verified what I and lots of others already knew... Kimbo was a joke and a farse, and people are dumb enough to watch just about anything as long as they believe what the TV is telling them.

Personally, I think the Womens division is LIGHTYEARS better then the Mens, just a bit too brutal for me to watch. Men seem to fight to prove a point, the women fight to beat the living shit out of each other it seems :(

Sean of the Thread
10-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Except he faked getting knocked out...

NocturnalRob
10-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Except he faked getting knocked out...

literally, he got tapped. such a dive.

TheEschaton
10-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Best part of article:

Carano struggled to reach the 141-pound limit against Kobald (16-3-1). She failed to make the weight twice -- first tipping the scale at 142¾, then 142½. Only after removing all her clothing did Carano weigh in at 141 pounds.

I would have loved to be there for Crush's weigh-in. Mmmmmmmm.

-TheE-

NocturnalRob
10-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I would have loved to be there for Crush's weigh-in. Mmmmmmmm.

there are videos of it floating around. she has big boobs.

SHAFT
10-06-2008, 11:36 AM
I for one am done watching the shit after that fight.

I missed the show on Saturday, but they've put on some decent fights in the past. The first fight of Lawler vs. Smith was turning out to be a classic before they stopped the fight.

Boycott Kimbo, because he is garbage, but I wouldn't swear off the whole promotion. I'm hoping we see a Carano vs. Cyborg fight next.

NocturnalRob
10-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm hoping we see a Carano vs. Cyborg fight next.

they basically have to at this point. there really isn't anyone else for them to fight.

also, arlovski is the man.

TheEschaton
10-06-2008, 11:44 AM
there are videos of it floating around. she has big boobs.

link pls!

Sean of the Thread
10-06-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.hitsusa.com/1-good-ones/gina-carano.jpg

NocturnalRob
10-06-2008, 11:50 AM
link pls!

http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/10/03/gina-carano-strips-off-the-video/

not much there. i'll see if i can find a couple photos.

NocturnalRob
10-06-2008, 12:36 PM
http://deadspin.com/5059233/meet-the-man-who-felled-kimbo

NocturnalRob
10-06-2008, 12:44 PM
yahtzee!

http://upshizzle.com/temp/gina%20towel%202.gif

Sean of the Thread
10-06-2008, 12:45 PM
I think that's a poster in the middle.

Izzy
10-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Gina carano is extremely sexy.

x2

Also, she gave one of the best answers ever. I don't remember it verbatim, but it was something like

Guy: So what went through your mind right here? (Replay of her choking opponent)
Gina: I was just thinking "I wanted to kill her. Why won't she just die?!"

Allereli
10-21-2008, 12:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=3655102

Reports: EliteXC tells employees, fighters it's out of business
ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 21, 2008, 11:09 AM ET

The parent company of the EliteXC mixed martial arts circuit is closing its doors for good, according to multiple reports. Sherdog.com reported that according to T.J. Thompson, an executive at ProElite Inc., he was informed that the company would close for good this week and would file for bankruptcy protection. And Sports Illustrated, on its Web site, reported that ProElite told its employees and fighters on Monday that it was shutting down, effective immediately, according to multiple sources.

Sherdog also reported that according to numerous sources, an EliteXC card scheduled for Nov. 8 in Reno, Nev., has been canceled. According to the report, Joey Villasenor, who was scheduled to fight Robbie Lawler for the circuit's middleweight title on the card, was informed Monday it had been scrubbed.

ProElite did not return calls seeking comment, according to the reports.

The shutdown follows an EliteXC card televised by CBS on Oct. 4, in which the circuit's biggest star, Kimbo Slice, suffered a 14-second TKO at the hands of a relatively unknown last-minute replacement, Seth Petruzelli. That bout is under investigation by the Florida State Athletic Commission, following comments Petruzelli made after the fight suggesting that he had been promised monetary incentives to trade punches with Slice, rather than employ a more technical game plan.

Showtime Networks, which owns a 20 percent stake in ProElite, on Sept. 17 filed a notice with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission announcing its intention to enter negotiations to purchase the company outright.

But SI.com reported that according to a source inside ProElite, those negotiations failed and ProElite's funding disappeared, forcing it out of business.

WWE wins again!

Warriorbird
10-21-2008, 12:24 PM
A real step forward for gay MMA. Petruzelli knocked out a whole network.

Sean of the Thread
10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Told you that slice fight was fixed.

So fucking obvious.

Warriorbird
10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Right, right... you suggested that it was Slice taking the dive though... this suggests they tried to fix it the other way.

Sean of the Thread
10-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Obvious the entire fight was fixed.

Slice went down on a phantom punch and dipshit was pulling punches while he was on the ground.

Ruined the whole XC for me.

Skeeter
10-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Told you that slice fight was fixed.

So fucking obvious.

You got nothing for me?

Also EliteXC folding is pretty much the equivilent of the XFL folding.

Sean of the Thread
10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Sorry didn't mean to exclude you...Skeet was right there on the dive.

He knows wtf was up.

SHAFT
10-22-2008, 03:31 AM
Kimbo should go to K1. He's perfect for it. Hell, he's a smaller version of Bob Sapp.

Scott Smith, Lawler, and Carrano are all worthy of UFC. I'm not even sure if UFC does women though do they?

Sean of the Thread
10-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Well in my opinion Sapp knows wtf he's doing a tad bit more. He's also a giant in Japan which adds to his celebrity status.

Kimbo.. well he's just Kimbo. Now known as a corrupted fighter.