PDA

View Full Version : Is time travel possible?

Des ka
12-27-2003, 07:30 PM
You are very depressed. You are suicidally depressed. You have a gun. But you do not quite have the courage to point the gun at yourself and kill yourself in this way. If only someone else would kill you, that would be a good thing. But you can't really ask someone to kill you. That wouldn't be fair. You decide that if you remain this depressed and you find a time machine, you will travel back in time to just about now, and kill your earlier self. That would be good. In that way you even would get rid of the depressing time you will spend between now and when you would get into that time machine. You start to muse about the coherence of this idea, when something amazing happens. Out of nowhere you suddenly see someone coming towards you with a gun pointed at you. In fact he looks very much like you, except that he is bleeding badly from his left eye, and can barely stand up straight. You are at peace. You look straight at him, calmly. He shoots. You feel a searing pain in your left eye. Your mind is in chaos, you stagger around and accidentally enter a strange looking cubicle.

You drift off into unconsciousness. After a while, you can not tell how long, you drift back into consciousness and stagger out of the cubicle. You see someone in the distance looking at you calmly and fixedly. You realize that it is your younger self. He looks straight at you. You are in terrible pain. You have to end this, you have to kill him, really kill him once and for all. You shoot him, but your eyesight is so bad that your aim is off. You do not kill him, you merely damage his left eye. He staggers off. You fall to the ground in agony, and decide to study the paradoxes of time travel more seriously.

StrayRogue
12-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Play the new Prince of Persia. Or read Einstein.

DaMaGe
12-27-2003, 07:40 PM
Two words.

Donnie Darko.

-Adam

Des ka
12-27-2003, 07:41 PM
I have read alot of Einsteins stuff . I played the orginol prince of persia, real fun game. I hate the new ones.

Back
12-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Time Travel is being taken seriously in the scientific community these days. There is a guy working on sending quantum particles back in time using an array of lasers.

Quantum particles act in such a way that it is theorized there are many threads of time. What this means is that the above situation is impossible. While wonderfully paradoxical and existentialist, it would be impossible to alter the course of history.

This guy expects to get messages from the future when he completes his work. He has been published in the Scientific Journal and accepted by his peers. His last name is Mallet.

I tried a search on Google, but couldn't find anything about him. Saw a show on cable about him.

Tsa`ah
12-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Not only do I not believe you to be the suicidal person you claim to be, I also do not believe you to be the intelligent person you claim to be.

If you're going to plagiarize someone else’s work, post it in Spanish next time jackass.

This is a Stanford Philosophy project.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time-travel-phys/

[Edited on 12-28-2003 by Tsa`ah]

Xcalibur
12-27-2003, 07:57 PM
I think if it exists there's 3 versions of what could happen

1) parallele dimension:

I travel through time and the time i go back is new for me, but doesn't exist for you. Sounds stupid but imagine this.

If i go through time and kill your parents before you are born, you'll simply vanish? all people knowing you will forget you and nobody will even remember your existence? what about if i go through time and kill Hitler before Germany went berserk?

Imagine that I go through time and i really kill hitler, THE WHOLE world will change because of me?

2) time travel as back to the future. I go, i kill your mom, you vanish. Sounds pretty stupid if you ask me.

3) Time travel à la "time machine".. For exemple, Warclaidhm's player go completely insane in the year 2004. I go thourgh time and work with him, cheer him up, bla bla bla, in 2004, he'll go crazy.
Meaning there's a fatality law in the universe and even time cannot change it.

[Edited on 28-12-03 by Xcalibur]

Back
12-27-2003, 07:58 PM
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT MALLETT AND HIS TIME TRAVEL THEORIES (http://www.advance.uconn.edu/01091012.htm)

Bobmuhthol
12-27-2003, 08:04 PM
Warclaidhm is dumb.

Xcalibur
12-27-2003, 08:12 PM
What a triomphant come back

Bobmuhthol
12-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Learn how to spell plz.

Tsa`ah
12-27-2003, 08:14 PM
I think we should ask the same of you ... PLEASE.

Xcalibur
12-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Don't start playing his game, he's been back for like 5 minutes and it's already just the same crap as before

Bobmuhthol
12-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Oh what a surprise. Being banned for 3 months hasn't made me go out and get a new personality.

Short answer: Die.

Soulpieced
12-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Plagiarism, it's what's for dinner.

Ravenstorm
12-27-2003, 09:10 PM
Please, don't even joke about that. I don't want him in my camp. He's as straight as you are. No one shatter my hopes.

Raven

Back
12-27-2003, 09:13 PM
LOL. Rave, sorry man, but I've met some really geeky gay guys. Being gay dosen't automatically mean you know how to make a bed.

12-27-2003, 09:17 PM
no no, you guys can have him. We don't want him. He has no chance of ever getting a woman either way

Satira
12-27-2003, 11:04 PM
Unless you're a scientist or you are going to be suddenly caught in a Disney mini-series any time soon, don't even bother with time travel.

Warriorbird
12-28-2003, 02:22 AM
Warclaidhm - The Made for TV Movie!

Worse than Ishtar AND Gigli!

Caiylania
12-28-2003, 03:00 AM
My reasons for believing Time Travel is impossible?

Simple, EVEN if you could do it, you would die. The reason is this, Time travel is not physical travel. You would stay in the same exact physical location.

Well, say you go back even just a week? The Earth wasn't yet where it is now! So you would appear at the same location- but in space and die.

StrayRogue
12-28-2003, 04:44 AM
Time travel is possible. My flux capicitor is proof.

Caiylania
12-28-2003, 04:58 AM
Your a nut :D

Latrinsorm
12-28-2003, 09:53 PM
<deep breath>

CONNECTICUT RULZ YOU OTHER STATES SUXOR ARSENAL STATE 4 EVAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

<and so on>

I worry about this: physical stuff can shoot around through time, that's cool. What about the mind? What about the soul? I worry about the first joker we shove through the Laser Loop of Doom.

Back
12-29-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Caiylania
My reasons for believing Time Travel is impossible?

Simple, EVEN if you could do it, you would die. The reason is this, Time travel is not physical travel. You would stay in the same exact physical location.

Well, say you go back even just a week? The Earth wasn't yet where it is now! So you would appear at the same location- but in space and die.

I've always wondered about this as well. Space can be bent by very heavy gravity and light. Maybe its not the space you are traveling through, it is the bends in space that you go from point A to point B.

Anyway, I am sure there is some scientific explination.