PDA

View Full Version : Young wizard build ideas

Gan
05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
So I have a young wizard. Level 18 to be exact. He's currently a runestaff user and I'm telling you - the lack of mana and power BLOWS.

Should I revert him back to sword and board?

How fun would he be as an archer?

Its been ages since I've played a wizard at this level - someone give me some thoughts.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Some Rogue
05-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Race? Society?

I have a level 32 halfling wizard that uses runestaves. CoL master. He has always destroyed shit.

Crazy Bard
05-29-2008, 04:27 PM
I used to have a wizard at level 18. He was an effective hunter in Vaalor, and I don't remember having any mana problems with him. Hunting Vaalor's mass undead is a good option. You can train to 25-30, and then go to icemule.

Askip
05-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Hang in there for seven more levels, the AS boost from spell 425 makes hunting a lot easier.

BigWorm
05-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Mana should be less of a problem soon since you will be able to leech.

Kitsun
05-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Archery would probably be a pretty fun change of pace. Using haste and a bow to supplement bolts is dandy.

Alternatively, if you try to grind it out with a pure plan, you can try finding charged gold wands. Each full wand is like an extra 160 mana in your head.

BigWorm
05-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Archery would probably be a pretty fun change of pace. Using haste and a bow to supplement bolts is dandy.

Alternatively, if you try to grind it out with a pure plan, you can try finding charged gold wands. Each full wand is like an extra 160 mana in your head.

See, I think archery for a wizard wouldn't be that cool because you will suck at aiming and the archery system uses bolt defense as well, so its not really another attack form.

Durgrimst
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Poles or THW and just haste till 25-30.

Kitsun
05-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Wizards archers don't have accuracy but make up for it in sheer volume. Strength/Haste means they can tend to use a longbow, or at least a composite, at 1 second. The naturally high DEX means the attack tends to be higher than the melee counterpart.

Joe
05-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Anyone have any advice on how to improve this build? I kinda feel like he's a bit on the weak side.

Race: Human Profession: Wizard (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 54 (7) ... 54 (7)
Constitution (CON): 49 (0) ... 49 (0)
Dexterity (DEX): 96 (23) ... 96 (23)
Agility (AGI): 56 (3) ... 56 (3)
Discipline (DIS): 76 (13) ... 76 (13)
Aura (AUR): 96 (23) ... 96 (23)
Logic (LOG): 96 (28) ... 96 (28)
Intuition (INT): 61 (10) ... 61 (10)
Wisdom (WIS): 84 (17) ... 84 (17)
Influence (INF): 59 (4) ... 59 (4)
Mana: 90 Silver: 20

(at level 19), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Physical Fitness...................| 93 21
Arcane Symbols.....................| 93 21
Magic Item Use.....................| 142 42
Spell Aiming.......................| 142 42
Harness Power......................| 142 42
Elemental Mana Control.............| 96 22
Elemental Lore - Earth.............| 58 12
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 58 12
Perception.........................| 35 7
Climbing...........................| 35 7
Swimming...........................| 35 7
First Aid..........................| 35 7
Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 19
Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 5
Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 19

Gan
05-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Race? Society?

I have a level 32 halfling wizard that uses runestaves. CoL master. He has always destroyed shit.

He's part of that new society now. I still have options there if I decide thats too much of a pain in the ass.

This actually was my very first character I made - I resurrected him when I reactivated my original account after I liquidated off my premium points from my 'second account' last fall. (I found out that I had a nice amount of premium points on the original that I forgot about).

I remember my previous wizard when he was in the low 30's and he was the shit. But that was after getting the benefits of 425/430 and the capacity for more mana.

I'm torn between having a 'blot out the sun' archer (mass quantity firing), and a polearm swinger.

I'll do more thinking on it.

See, I think archery for a wizard wouldn't be that cool because you will suck at aiming and the archery system uses bolt defense as well, so its not really another attack form.
Except that the archery attack form doesnt use much mana (except for haste).

I'll load up on all the basic spells plus 402 and haste. This actually sounds fun... Not to mention I'll have a free hand to cast if I choose to.

Murr
05-29-2008, 09:52 PM
I love my THW, claid wielding gnome wizard. Swings claid at 2s at 18 (1s soon), strength for AS and carrying capacity, never gets hit because of self spells.

Gan
05-29-2008, 10:56 PM
ooooh. a claid.

Gan
05-30-2008, 08:25 AM
You recite a series of mystical phrases while raising your hands, invoking Haste...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
Haste (506) starts for 1m.
You begin to notice the world slow down around you. Strange.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
A puma tries to bite you!
AS: +168 vs DS: +177 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +47 = +72
A clean miss.
>fre puma
You are now in an offensive stance.
>
You remove a single wooden arrow from a bundle of wooden arrows.
>
You nock a wooden arrow in your wood composite bow.
You fire a wooden arrow at a puma!
AS: +118 vs DS: +72 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +93 = +173
... and hit for 37 points of damage!
Strike pierces gall bladder!
That's gotta hurt!
The puma is stunned!
The wooden arrow sticks in a puma's abdomen!
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Roundtime changed to 1 second.
>fre puma
>
>
>
Unable to focus clearly, the puma blindly evades the missile!
The wooden arrow disappears into the local environs.
>fre puma
>
>
AS: +118 vs DS: +49 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +75 = +178
... and hit for 30 points of damage!
Well aimed shot, punctures upper arm!
The wooden arrow sticks in a puma's left arm!
>fre puma
...wait 1 seconds.
...wait 1 seconds.
...wait 1 seconds.
>fre puma
>
>
AS: +118 vs DS: +48 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +69 = +173
... and hit for 27 points of damage!
Strike pierces upper arm!
The wooden arrow ricochets away from a puma, landing nearby.
>fre puma
>
>
>
AS: +118 vs DS: +46 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +4 = +110
... and hit for 3 points of damage!
Thrust glances off the puma's knee without a lot of effect.
Glancing shot. The wooden arrow flips over, landing behind a puma.
>fre puma
>
>
AS: +118 vs DS: +46 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +86 = +192
... and hit for 48 points of damage!
Nailed in lower back!
The puma crumples to the ground and dies.
The wooden arrow sticks in a puma's back!

g++
05-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Yah my archery wizard is alot of fun, I would recommend switching to a longbow or composite though, the massive amounts of extra damage are well worth the extra round time especially when your facing a critter you want to keep stunned while your firing.

Celephais
05-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Each full wand is like an extra 160 mana in your head.
160? Gold wands have 906 right? 20 charges - 120? (just a typo or am I off base?)

You've not tried it, it is indeed amazing. As already said, you're going to have the boost of a higher DEX, and you're going to have the same ranks as you would in edged/thw, minus the str bonus from strength, but you'll be eblading your arrows. I also think (may be way off) elemental focus doesn't detriment arrows like it does melee.

Anyone have any advice on how to improve this build? I kinda feel like he's a bit on the weak side.
Clearly not placed with long term stats in mind... if that's a concern I'd suggest rerolling.

As for skills, you're spreading yourself thin on lore ranks, 12 ranks of earth/fire aren't really doing anything for you (20 ranks of air lore on the other hand...), and your spells are a little off to me, 919 isn't useful w/ your mana pool, and you're going to want 425 at level 25, you're not on track to get that. 414 and 406 will also help you defensively... I'd suggest dropping the wizard circle to 913, dropping the lore ranks to either 20 air, or none at all. getting to 913, 414, 516+ you've got 6 levels before 25, or 12 spells, so that means you can make it at that rate.

yesicj
05-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Just for what it's worth, a full wand holds 40 charges (assuming you haven't kept on charging it and reduced the max it can take), so a gold wand would be an extra 240 mana. Good stuff, and part of the reason I always carry around some wands, despite being able to make do without them. Among other things, it gives me a lot more to work with if I want to use a set up spell, e.g. e-waving like a crazy man (yes, I've e-waved single critters on numerous occasions; screw that maneuver stuff) when I'm sure there's no one around.

Joe
05-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Clearly not placed with long term stats in mind... if that's a concern I'd suggest rerolling.

As for skills, you're spreading yourself thin on lore ranks, 12 ranks of earth/fire aren't really doing anything for you (20 ranks of air lore on the other hand...), and your spells are a little off to me, 919 isn't useful w/ your mana pool, and you're going to want 425 at level 25, you're not on track to get that. 414 and 406 will also help you defensively... I'd suggest dropping the wizard circle to 913, dropping the lore ranks to either 20 air, or none at all. getting to 913, 414, 516+ you've got 6 levels before 25, or 12 spells, so that means you can make it at that rate.

Thanks. I've done rogues and clerics, but not really a wizard. I've made it 19 levels on that set up, so I suppose it wasn't TOO bad... just was a bit tedious at times. As far as long-term stats, I suppose I'll chase down one of those stat potions if I get really concerned... for now, I just wanna enjoy the wizard.

Much appreciated.

Crazy Bard
05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Thats some pretty low AS, though. Spell casting your AS would be around 180-190.

Celephais
05-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Thats some pretty low AS, though. Spell casting your AS would be around 180-190.
Wooden composite bow, non-ebladed arrows. He's missing an easy/cheap 40 AS. That'd put him at 158, 1 second RT, 6 mana a minute ... vs 3 second CT, 3/4/6 mana a cast.

Gan
05-30-2008, 05:03 PM

+19 enchant bow.
Arrows were ebladed but that clip had the eblade worn off.

AS with spells at level 18 is around 145 ish. (913/513/414) (2x spell aiming)

AS with ebladed arrows and +19 bow is 138. (509) (will add pure potion to next hunt)

Crazy Bard
05-30-2008, 05:15 PM
I was pretty sure my AS was around 160, and got boosted to 180-190 with 513 as a halfling with 4x staff. I could be wrong because that was a long time ago.

Celephais
05-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Okay, so your dex is lower than our estimates (I used Joe's dex, which gave me the assumption that there was no enchant).

509 does not improve bow AS, just RT.

Dex + 10?
Ranged Training = +90
Bow = +19
Eblade = +20
Total = 139AS

Bolt AS
Dex +10
Training +140
513 (the others aren't AS... it's pretty obvious you're not normally a wizard): about +20
170 AS ...

That rift will continue to shrink as you near level 28 (diminishing returns beats out double training), and as 513 gets better.

Netam
06-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I'll throw this in as well. You also have the option to be a haste voln-fu wizard. The lack of wracking suck but you'll easily make it for it in terms of power. Your mana will be mostly going toward haste/buffing up.