PDA

View Full Version : Those sigils and hurling

Sypher
05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Anyone know if the critical weighting applies to hurling/hurled weapons also?

BTW, how's everyone enjoying the new society, do you think it's better then CoL if you're a pure? Square? Semi?

droit
05-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Anyone know if the critical weighting applies to hurling/hurled weapons also?

It does.

BTW, how's everyone enjoying the new society, do you think it's better then CoL if you're a pure? Square? Semi?

As a ranger, I love it. GoS was practically designed for semis because we're already investing in the physical (stamina) and mental (mana) skills that it requires. IMO, Sunfist is much better than CoL in overall utility and power (the exception being sign of wracking, which still beats all in terms of mana production).

To give you an idea of how powerful GoS is, I'll list the benefits I can enjoy on a warcamp raid (I normally don't use ALL of these sigils on every hunt because it's just overkill--I can and have used them all, though). I have +30 AS, +25 DS, heavy crit weighting on my flaring axe, heavy damage padding (I use the damage padding sigil because my armor is already crit padded and they stack), +20 generic TD, +5 mana recovery, the ability to ignore debilitating wounds when hiding, +15 health recovered per stamina pulse, and the ability to eat any herb in 3 seconds without any FA training. If things get hairy and I find myself stunned or otherwise incapacitated in a swarm, I can use a sigil that will instantly transport me to a safer location without the chance of spirit death.

So yeah, I'd say it's a pretty good society. Also consider the fact that you can have like-level hunting anywhere in the lands. The only downside to the society is that a number of the sigils have pretty limited durations (1-3 minutes). It's a little inconvenient, but just program a macro or two and you're all set.

Rimalon
05-21-2008, 08:15 PM
do you think it's better then CoL if you're a pure?

Droit's spot on with his analysis... but as far as pures go, I think Sunfist is best for Empaths and Wizards and not-as-good for Clerics and Sorcerers.

The ability to wrack for the latter two is just too awesome to lose, in my opinion. Empaths can 3x PT and are basically built for Sunfist, while Wizards not losing Bolt AS when using the (inferior) mana sigil as well as gaining crit/damage weighting for their bolts is the selling point for them.

Stretch
05-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I wonder if the crit / damage padding stacking is intentional.

It's extraordinarily mana intensive for a square to maintain the bane / protection sigils. I could manage to keep major bane / minor prot / focus up constantly with 175 mana. I'm struggling to do it with 100 mana.

droit
05-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I wonder if the crit / damage padding stacking is intentional.

Well, I posted the results of the damage padded armor/sigil of minor protection testing I did on the officials and they were received with an astonishing lack of interest. The higher-ups have certainly been told.

Sypher
05-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Mana training doesn't screw with a square's redux does it?

g++
05-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Is your avatar a clip from the pearl jam video evolution?

Celephais
05-22-2008, 10:42 AM
well as gaining crit/damage weighting for their bolts is the selling point for them.
Whoa whoa whoa... the crit/damage weighting applies to wizard spellbolts? Are you sure about this? Any data to back it up you can link me to?

Rimalon
05-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Whoa whoa whoa... the crit/damage weighting applies to wizard spellbolts? Are you sure about this? Any data to back it up you can link me to?

Er, yeah, they do, but only versus hated enemies (grimswarm, trolls, giants, orcs, minotaur, Illoke). A bunch of us tested it when Sunfist came out... trust me, it adds it.

If I have time I'll try to dig up a log or two.

Sypher
05-23-2008, 12:32 AM
wouldn't it be cool if you can aim wiz bolts, you guys should ask for that.

BigWorm
05-23-2008, 02:43 AM
wouldn't it be cool if you can aim wiz bolts, you guys should ask for that.

It's been requested lots of times and shot down every time. They've made it clear that they feel such a change would be unbalancing.

BriarFox
05-23-2008, 02:52 AM
Does the Sunfist weighting also work for ranged weapons? Do you have to use the sigil for every arrow or whatnot?

Baelog
05-23-2008, 06:24 AM
I'm pretty sure that they affect arrows, and last for every arrow as long as the Sigil is active, like Wizard bolts, unless they designed the system very wonky

As an aside, I'm a Square and I enjoy being in Sunfist. 60 mana + Sigil of Concentration is pretty much enough for me, since at the current time, I do feel the need to walk around the entire time with my Major Protection and Major Bane on

Oh, and as far as I know...no, getting Mana doesn't mess around with Redux, that's only if you learn spells

droit
05-23-2008, 01:02 PM
The sigils do affect ranged weapons. They affect anything with an AS/DS roll, as far as I know.

Harness power doesn't negatively affect your redux, except that it uses TPs you could otherwise spend on redux skills. On the plus side, ranks in HP will increase your spell burst threshold.

Maerit
05-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I find Sigil of Power helps squares maintain sigils rather well since its a stamina to mana conversion. While we have a great deal of use for our stamina, using 50 stamina for 25 mana can greatly extend the useage of sigils.

My warrior was formerly a CoL member, who is now a master in Sunfist. CoL seemed easier to maintain for certain with +35 AS/DS a simple thing to keep active. Now as a warrior, I can keep +20 AS/DS up all the time, and one of the major sigils (bane or protection) active pretty much all the time. Thing is, I don't really use a lot of stamina outside of Surge of Strength, a feint here and there, and every now and then a tackle when its applicable. So, if you're a heavy CMAN user, and not just an ambusher, it will be a challenge to use Sunfist sigils as a square due to their short duration and mana requirements.

My warrior has only 45 mana, and 120 stamina at 50 trains, so its not terribly difficult to accomplish if you don't mind refreshing your sigils often.

KrolvinScout
05-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Does the Sunfist weighting also work for ranged weapons? Do you have to use the sigil for every arrow or whatnot?

The sigils do work for Ranged. And you don't need to use the sigil for every arrow, simply for the duration. And by me saying the sigils do work, both the AS increasing sigil AND weighting sigils do work :)

Cap'nDrak
05-23-2008, 03:58 PM
So if the sigils do work on bolt spells, then as a thought going one step deeper.... Does Minor\Major Bane work on bolt splash damage? Or is it only the initial impact. Seems to me that if either worked on the splash that could be amazingly powerful in a warcamp.

Rimalon
05-24-2008, 02:11 AM
Does Minor\Major Bane work on bolt splash damage?

No... the splash damage from ball spells is based solely on a Level VS Level check, unfortunately.

BriarFox
05-24-2008, 04:58 AM
The sigils do work for Ranged. And you don't need to use the sigil for every arrow, simply for the duration. And by me saying the sigils do work, both the AS increasing sigil AND weighting sigils do work :)

I'll be knackered. Now I have to contemplate switching to Sunfist from CoL.

Stretch
05-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Weighting only works on hated foes.

Celephais
05-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Weighting only works on hated foes.
Are warcamps common enough that you can use them for all your exp hunting needs?

Baelog
05-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Well, when you can find a 300-500 strong Warcamp within the Ring range of a town, I don't see why that won't keep you fried for a day, or maybe more...

Also, let's not forget that your given tasks from Sunfist as well...like "go kill 15 Grimswarm in this area" and Grimswarm will gen to your level in said area...or "go kill 12 stone trolls in Stone Valley" because Stone Trolls are a hated enemy.

So yeah, I could see Sunfist being the only EXP you need...of course, if you get bored, you could always do an adventurers guild task

Sthrockmorton
05-25-2008, 01:05 PM
If only I wasn't so CM intensive, I'd switch in a heartbeat...

I'd love having critters gen around town so I didnt have to trek to the rift. That being said, I do thrive off Adventurer's Guild Tasks as well. It's so nice to get a 7-10 mill bonus (fixskill potion) every 2-3 months just from doing my normal hunting.