PDA

View Full Version : BO: Lay Off My Wife

Mabus
05-19-2008, 05:40 PM
The Tennessee GOP has a YouTube ad running using Michelle Obama's "For the first time in my adult life time I'm really proud of my country." remark.

The video can be found here (http://www.youtube.com/tennesseeGOP) on YouTube.

Barack disagrees with the tactic, and feels his wife should not be an issue in the campaign. He spoke on ABC's Good Morning America.

ABC GMA Obama Interview (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Vote2008/story?id=4881883&page=1) (Watch out for the pop ups and ads on the ABC site).

It does bring up a question:
Is a candidate's spouse up for political discussion if the spouse is an active part of the campaign?

Latrinsorm
05-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Of course, but of course Obama is going to want people to lay off his wife.

Gan
05-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Good question.

If the wife actively campaigns for the candidate, anything that she says while campaigning is/should be fair game. Basically I would treat it as the open door issue: If she opens the door, then the opposition has the right to walk through it.

Parkbandit
05-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Good question.

If the wife actively campaigns for the candidate, anything that she says while campaigning is/should be fair game. Basically I would treat it as the open door issue: If she opens the door, then the opposition has the right to walk through it.

Bingo. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Want to campaign and throw your opinion all over the place, expect others to have an opinion about you.

Dwarven Empath
05-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Of course we should know everything about the spouse, of every candidate.

You mean to tell me that they don't talk to each other?

Spouse's have opinions too. Mostly incorrect, but still.

Medi...

Gan
05-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Actually, I dont need to know everything about the spouse of a candidate. That being said, I think that the opposition should have a legitimate shot at responding to campaign speeches/interviews/matters of record that said spouse participates in.

If she doesnt address it, doesnt denounce it, isnt on record for speaking on behalf of said campaign, then its off limits. Anything she or he does thats on record and on behalf of the campaign should be fair game.

Back
05-19-2008, 11:03 PM
It does bring up a question:
Is a candidate's spouse up for political discussion if the spouse is an active part of the campaign?

I think its bullshit. As much as its bullshit to attack a candidate’s spouse for being politically innocuous. The spouses are not running, the candidates are.

Parkbandit
05-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I think its bullshit. As much as its bullshit to attack a candidate’s spouse for being politically innocuous. The spouses are not running, the candidates are.

But it's ok if the spouses are out stumping for their husbands/wives.. and they can criticise anyone else they please.. but they are above reproach in any way?

:rofl: @ you.

Back
05-19-2008, 11:06 PM
But it's ok if the spouses are out stumping for their husbands/wives.. and they can criticise anyone else they please.. but they are above reproach in any way?

:rofl: @ you.

Don’t tell me you take Bill Clinton seriously.

Parkbandit
05-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Don’t tell me you take Bill Clinton seriously.

I never have.. but then again, I don't take Mr. and Mrs. Obama seriously either.

Back
05-19-2008, 11:13 PM
I never have.. but then again, I don't take Mr. and Mrs. Obama seriously either.

Then we agree on spouses. Obviously NOT candidates. Who knew?

Parkbandit
05-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Then we agree on spouses. Obviously NOT candidates. Who knew?

You are an idiot. That is something we can all agree on.

L2 read next time.

longshot
05-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Bingo. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Want to campaign and throw your opinion all over the place, expect others to have an opinion about you.

Well put.

Don't expect Backlash to understand this. Oh wait... he didn't.

Back
05-19-2008, 11:40 PM
You are an idiot. That is something we can all agree on.

L2 read next time.

Neener neener, la la la.

Thats an argument?

:rofl:

We would never expect anything less of you. 16 minutes and thats the best you can do?

Back
05-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Well put.

Don't expect Backlash to understand this. Oh wait... he didn't.

Dude, you advocate this kind of mindless nonsense? WTF happened to you?

TheEschaton
05-20-2008, 12:05 AM

Funny, the Obama camp makes regular headlines by attacking things Bill says. I know you've taken the high road, Back, and would never take anything Bill says into consideration, it's too bad your candidate can't do that much.

Back
05-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Funny, the Obama camp makes regular headlines by attacking things Bill says. I know you've taken the high road, Back, and would never take anything Bill says into consideration, it's too bad your candidate can't do that much.

Bill attacks Barak. I’ve never heard Michelle attack Bill.

Whatever. Don’t vote for whomever’s spouse you don’t like. I’m voting for the candidate I like.

Keller
05-20-2008, 12:33 AM

Whatever. Don’t vote for whomever’s spouse you don’t like. I’m voting for the candidate I like.

You realize that if you stop posting stupid shit people will stop calling you stupid, right?

Back
05-20-2008, 12:50 AM
You realize that if you stop posting stupid shit people will stop calling you stupid, right?

You do realize what this thread is really about, or is it only now that you realize that your massive loan on your education has gone to waste on message board arguments?

landy
05-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Anyone who publicly speaks on behalf of or against someone running for office deserves to have their opinions challenged. That said, they really weren't saying anything of substance about Mrs. Obama, just using the same Fox news tactic that has always appealed to fans of their media (Yes I know Fox had nothing to do with this). Find something that can be deemed shocking, no matter how out of context or benign, and slam it in to people's faces so long and so hard that they forget what it was really ever about.

Keller
05-20-2008, 01:46 AM
Backlash,

You said:

as if that is some sort of defense.

What you should have said is, "I don't criticize Bill for the things he says." That would have been an effective response, if true, to Alok's post toward you. But instead you wrote some non-sensical shit about what spouse attacks the other spouse. That was not the topic of this thread nor was it the topic of Alok's post to you. You began talking about it on your own -- for no rational reason. Hence my comment. I'd like to stick up for you -- I've just never had an opportunity to do it.

longshot
05-20-2008, 02:28 AM
Dude, you advocate this kind of mindless nonsense? WTF happened to you?

How the fuck am I any different than I was before?

I've always done my best to mock ignorance and attention whoring. It's not my fault you fall into both categories.

Clove
05-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Is this like Chelsea telling the college student [the answer to] his question on how Bill's BJ effected Hillary's credibility was "none of his business"?

Gan
05-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Backlash,

You said:

as if that is some sort of defense.

What you should have said is, "I don't criticize Bill for the things he says." That would have been an effective response, if true, to Alok's post toward you. But instead you wrote some non-sensical shit about what spouse attacks the other spouse. That was not the topic of this thread nor was it the topic of Alok's post to you. You began talking about it on your own -- for no rational reason. Hence my comment. I'd like to stick up for you -- I've just never had an opportunity to do it.

Welcome to the logic of Backlash.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3/3strangedays/backlashpoint.jpg

Daniel
05-20-2008, 07:06 AM
I loled

Gan
05-20-2008, 07:10 AM
You do realize what this thread is really about, or is it only now that you realize that your massive loan on your education has gone to waste on message board arguments?

Wait... are you now advocating that since Keller has achieved a law degree he shouldnt post or participate in the discussions on the PC?

Since when did this forum discriminate against the educated?

Does it count if said participant has not achieved any debt for their education?

And does the fact that you have little if no education somehow elevate your status because you have no educational debt?

Did someone spike your last bag?

Clarify plz?

Clove
05-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Since when did this forum discriminate against the educated?Backlash is a retard. But I think the general post quality on the PC demonstrates a discrimination against the educated :D.

Parkbandit
05-20-2008, 08:26 AM

Are you kidding me? Michelle basically said that if you can't handle your own home (ala keep your cheating man at home from constant womanizing) then you can't handle the White House. And that one was just off the top of my head. I'm sure you can google up some sweet ass quotes from Mrs. Obama criticising people like Bush, Chaney, Hillary, etc...

And that is completely her right to do so... just like it's everyone else's right to criticise her.

CrystalTears
05-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Obama's going to have to get used to it. Whatever his family says regarding him and/or his possible presidency will be repeated ad nauseum for the rest of his days.

Parkbandit
05-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Obama's going to have to get used to it. Whatever his family says regarding him and/or his possible presidency will be repeated ad nauseum for the rest of his days.

Much like it would for any other candidate when the spouse is on the campaign trail. There's nothing special about Obama in this case..

Clove
05-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Much like it would for any other candidate when the spouse is on the campaign trail. There's nothing special about Obama in this case..But... but... she's black

Celephais
05-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Backlash is just afraid that if he ever gets married people will actually listen to his spouse and he'll be exposed all over again.

Clove
05-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Backlash is just afraid that if he ever gets married people will actually listen to his spouse and he'll be exposed all over again.That's really a tiny matter.

CrystalTears
05-20-2008, 09:23 AM
That's really a tiny matter.
It's of little importance.

oldanforgotten
05-20-2008, 10:02 AM
If his wife stumps for him, she becomes fair game. In some cases, the wife can become a positive thing from a voter perspective (Nancy Reagan, Elizabeth Dole, Hillary the first time around). I'm somewhat surprised the democrats havent gone on the attack of Cindy McCain regarding her tax returns, her not ever actually working, or the fact that John McCain had an alleged extramarital affair with her in 79 and 80 while he was still with his first wife.
________
Toyota Hilux (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Hilux)

Suppa Hobbit Mage
05-20-2008, 10:16 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/imagedream/Funny/Circus.gif

Tsa`ah
05-20-2008, 11:02 AM
When the spouse and/or family of a candidate takes any level of participation in said candidate's campaign .... it's open season.

That means Mrs Obama is fair game, just as Bill and Chelsea Clinton are ... and yes, Just as Mrs McCain is.

Obama may not like it, but he and his wife (for him) chose to campaign. Unless the conversation enters the realm of irrelevant, he'll just have to suck it up and point out that his wife isn't an heiress that loaned him a private jet to campaign in.

Parkbandit
05-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Because what jet you use to campaign in is completely relevant...

Tsa`ah
05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Because what jet you use to campaign in is completely relevant...

It is participating in his campaign .... thus it becomes very relevant.

Parkbandit
05-20-2008, 02:39 PM
It is participating in his campaign .... thus it becomes very relevant.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/belike53/learjet.jpg

longshot
05-20-2008, 03:01 PM
It's of little importance.

It's a minuscule problem at best...

CrystalTears
05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
It's a minuscule problem at best...
Insignificant, actually...

ClydeR
05-20-2008, 03:06 PM
If his wife stumps for him, she becomes fair game. In some cases, the wife can become a positive thing from a voter perspective (Nancy Reagan, Elizabeth Dole, Hillary the first time around). I'm somewhat surprised the democrats havent gone on the attack of Cindy McCain regarding her tax returns, her not ever actually working, or the fact that John McCain had an alleged extramarital affair with her in 79 and 80 while he was still with his first wife.

Oh there's no doubt that the liberal media will turn on Cindy McCain. The tax returns, corporate jets, adultery, drug addiction, theft from a charity, lobbying her husband for the alcohol industry and all the other sordid things that have been circulating in the fringes of the liberal media will soon hit the mainstream. When it does, she will prove herself to be the model for what a first lady should be.

CrystalTears
05-20-2008, 03:11 PM
When it does, she will prove herself to be the model for what a first lady should be.A ho?

Keller
05-20-2008, 03:31 PM
A ho?

I've always considered Laura Bush a hussie.

oldanforgotten
05-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh there's no doubt that the liberal media will turn on Cindy McCain. The tax returns, corporate jets, adultery, drug addiction, theft from a charity, lobbying her husband for the alcohol industry and all the other sordid things that have been circulating in the fringes of the liberal media will soon hit the mainstream. When it does, she will prove herself to be the model for what a first lady should be.

The problem is, what kind of model can she be where there is pure, christ knowing truth in the bolded items. She's like a Vanderbilt in all honesty money-wise. It was given to her by virtue of who her parents were, not what she made herself into, which is a blessing and a curse.

She was in an adulterous relationship with John McCain prior to his divorce from his first wife, and that's public knowledge. She had a drug addiction, and that's public knowledge (even though she no longer does).
________
Subaru srd-1 (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Subaru_SRD-1)

Clove
05-20-2008, 04:09 PM
She was in an adulterous relationship with John McCain prior to his divorce from his first wife, and that's public knowledge. She had a drug addiction, and that's public knowledge (even though she no longer does).The First Lady isn't elected and has no responsibility and that's public knowledge (to everyone but Hillary).