PDA

View Full Version : MIU and arcane symbols

Itachi
05-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Herro, does anyone know how many ranks in MIU it takes to be able to use an ewave imbed with no penalty (barring a fumble?)

Also how many ranks in arcane symbols to read and use a majority of spells. (more for novelty than anything else, but i like scrolls! )

Trouble
05-15-2008, 09:22 PM
What class? It will be less for a rogue compared to a ranger, for example. Also, tap, rub, wave, raise?

For scrolls I find 30 ranks is a good number. In fact I put 30 ranks of MIU and scrolls on most of my guys and they can use everything

Itachi
05-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Ya for a rogue. Does the actual verb to activate the imbed factor in? I just want something for ewave and then the scrolls just to dick around with.

Trouble
05-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah the method matters. Here's a page from Krakiipedia:

Raise - Using the raise verb to activate a spell requires the most training in Magic Item Use, having a -25 penalty to the check. It also can only target the character activating the magic item. However, using the raise verb increases the duration of the spell by 50%.

Rub - The rub verb has a bonus of +25 to the Magic Item activation attempt and the spell still has 100% of the duration it should have. The only drawback is a magical item with this activator only allows it to affect the character activating it.

Tap - The tap verb has the largest bonus to the Magic Item activation check, a bonus of +50. However, the duration of spells activated in this manner is reduced by 50%. This activator is best for spells that are difficult to activate and have a long duration or for spells that have no duration, like Elemental Wave or Quake, though it would not be ideal for offensive spells that require a specific target to be selected, as the spell will target the caster automatically.

Wave - The wave verb is the only activator that allows a character to target another creature or character with the activated spell. Imbedding offensive spells like Minor Acid is useless unless this activator is used. The duration of a spell activated this way is 100% of what it would be normally and there is no bonus or penalty applied to the magic item activation check.

So assuming you went with Tap you could probably get by with around 15 ranks of MIU to be ale to reliably (>90% chance) use it, depending on your stats. Around 20 ranks would be good if you wanted to use Rub.

Scrolls are a little tougher, 20 ranks would give you around a 60% chance to activate ewave (for example).

Edit: actually I may be off a bit, I hadn't seen this version of the formula: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Item_Use. I've been using Tsoran's spreadsheet for my numbers. I don't know if they use the same formula.

Itachi
05-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Oh ya I wouldnt use scrolls for the ewave, that was just something i wanted to dump some points in because i like them. Thanks for the info!

drigore
05-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Tap takes you out of hiding, rub doesn't. Keep that in mind if you're planning to be a stealth kill machine. Quake imbeds are legal in town too, but actually casting the spell isn't.

Itachi
05-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Ahh, good to know thanks!

BigWorm
05-16-2008, 01:19 PM
As a rogue, if I start to get into a little trouble with a swarm which can happen since MOC is so damn expensive for us and we take a little longer to swing, I think having an imbed with a knockdown spell and an imbed with haste make even larger swarms much more manageable. E-wave is nice and anyone who can imbed can do it, but I also like quake and tremors because they knock down for multiple rounds.

Scrolls are better for a lot buff spells IMO and should be lighter to carry a bunch of and easier for us rogue to tell which is which. Also, if you pick, AS will allow you to get scarabs at a younger age with more consistancy and also lower the difficulty of glyph traps significantly. You'll want to have a decent amount in MIU and/or AS if you are planning on hunting an area with spell burst any time soon (Wyneb, OTF, Nelmar).

Latrinsorm
05-16-2008, 03:07 PM
-50 for the spell, +25 for rub, +40 for having the right sphere, let's say +15 for an Aura Bonus gives you +30. To get a 90% chance of activation, your character would need 90-30 = 60 skill, or 13 ranks. I'd go with 15; it's not like they're that expensive.

Allereli
05-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Scrolls are better for a lot buff spells IMO and should be lighter to carry a bunch of and easier for us rogue to tell which is which.

Use the RUMMAGE verb to find a spell.

rummage my [container] spell [spell #]

The Ponzzz
05-16-2008, 03:31 PM
With Dhask in Plat, I have 40 ranks of MIU and 25 with AS. I plan on taking them both to .5x by cap. He's 82 now.