PDA

View Full Version : Scriptable critters

imported_Kranar
07-07-2003, 03:06 PM
What critters are good for scripting at what level?

Specifically, what critters are out there that have no maneuver attacks and that are in a deserted hunting area.

All level ranges will be appreciated especially since I believe that underhunting is a good path to take for script hunting. I'm trying to test out a general purpose hunting script of mine and will appreciate any critter info I can get.

Bobmuhthol
07-07-2003, 03:11 PM
Krolvin are good, there are only a few rooms where the krolvin actually go. The first part of the place is mainly pumas, with the occasional mercenary. It would be pretty easy to script them, I think. It *used* to be deserted, when I was hunting them. Now I see people there all the time, unfortunately.

imported_Kranar
07-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Are they plentiful?

Bobmuhthol
07-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Relatively. I don't have to wait forever to find one, but there aren't seventeen of them in every room. Today was a good hunting day for me, I had about five in the same room. I also got my ass kicked.

imported_Kranar
07-07-2003, 03:17 PM
For me... if I can encounter one after 20 seconds of moving around looking for one, then it's plentiful. That would mean one kill every 45 seconds, which is good enough to script on.

Bobmuhthol
07-07-2003, 03:19 PM
I'd say you'd get about that, depending on the amount of people in the area. There are normally no more than three, including yourself. And, surprisingly, a lot of people there are Lords. They're not hunting warfarers, either.

ZGemstone
07-07-2003, 03:29 PM
Haven't hunted there in years, but the Krolvin area in River's Rest used to be great. Lots of things to kill and few people around. The ship has warfarers and a few warriors/mercenaries and outside of the ship only has warriors and mercenaries. I think you need to swim to get there, so I'm not sure if it's an ideal place to script to. Someone else that's been there recently can probably give you a better description than I can.

imported_Kranar
07-07-2003, 03:43 PM
The River's Rest area seems like a perfect area to script. Any info you can give me on their AS, DS, and armor type?

Bobmuhthol
07-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Unless the Krolvin decided to change armor in River's Rest, mercenaries wear studded and warriors wear brig. AS of mercenary gets to about 145, and warriors get to about 150. DS for mercenaries is 90, DS for warriors is 105-125.

Parkbandit
07-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Warfs are not what I would consider a deserted hunting area. They also cast ewave that will need to be added to any hunting script you come up with.

How old does your critter have to be? If you are just testing out a script.. I would make a new character and let him go at Ants, kobolds, squirrels, hobgoblins, goblins, etc...

Parkbandit
07-07-2003, 03:58 PM
One of my favorite critter sites is:

www.zone9.com/bestiary

I'm not sure how dated the information there is.. but it's nice because you can search out specific things like level or undead.

ZGemstone
07-07-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by ParkbanditWarfs are not what I would consider a deserted hunting area.

Is that place pretty packed now? Like I said, it's been years since I was there, but I breezed through level 13 (I think) to close to 25 outside and inside of the ship in that area and I was basically all by myself. Krol are great for an ambushing hunter to work with.

[Edited on 7-7-2003 by ZGemstone]

imported_Kranar
07-07-2003, 04:50 PM
<< I'm not sure how dated the information there is.. but it's nice because you can search out specific things like level or undead. >>

Yeah but that site is REALLY outdated. Like it's far off base in everything from AvD to AS, DS, skin value, and even some abilities.

imported_Kranar
07-07-2003, 04:52 PM
The script can hunt anywhere, so any critter you give me to test it out on will be nice.

I don't want to test if the script works... I want to test how fast I can get to level 30 using it 24/7.

Consider it practice, for when The Fallen comes out. That's why a deserted area would be nice, so somewhere away from the Landing. The less maneuver attacks, the better, because having to stand up before every swing slows things down. Low AS means no stance dancing nessecary... so on so forth. An ideal critter is a rat, but obviously there are very few rat-like critters after level 9. So any critter that can be hunted with the same relative level of ease as a rat will be appreciated.

[Edited on 7-7-2003 by Kranar]

Bobmuhthol
07-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Fire guardians are good. No clouds to worry about and a 47 or so DS. That anti-magic field is great.

AnticorRifling
07-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Large ogres on the spine, cyclops(es?), shelfae, etc in Sol are all fairly easy.

imported_Kranar
07-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Solhaven is Scripthaven

Skaster
07-07-2003, 11:33 PM
I'd recommend large ogres between Landing and Sol, cold guardians in Icemule, wolfshades by nedum vereri, dark orcs/wraiths in the AI, zombies in Icemule, cyclopses in Solhaven.. and I'll think of more later.

imported_Kranar
07-08-2003, 12:04 AM
Undead is out of the question since I can't script getting a bless without being really suspicious.

Skaster
07-08-2003, 02:54 AM
Well, that depends.. if you're Voln, you don't really have to worry about getting a bless.

It also depends if you want the script to go rest for you or not, if not, then getting a blessing option is kinda pointless, but if you want a complete 24/7 script, then adding in about 15 variable asks with 2 or 3 variable locations and 10 or so variable responses to recieving the bless, then it won't be conspicuous.

I would know ;). I scripted one char from 3-25 without looking at the screen besides to train.

imported_Kranar
07-08-2003, 02:58 AM
My script trains for me... I still think it's pointless to script getting a bless. It makes it too obvious. Not many blessers are around at 3-4 AM, and then you're screwed because you keep asking. Eventually someone will catch on because you keep asking for a bless even though the same people are telling you that no blessers are available. And even if no one catches on, the fact that there are no blessers around at 4 AM means your script will just hang.

It's pointless, the goal of scripting is to train ASAP with no risk attached. The ideal scripting critter is non-undead, deserted hunting area, no maneuver attacks, deserted resting area, skinnable.

If someone can give a critter that matches that criteria, and is huntable at level 13-16 I'd appreciate it. The suggestion to hunt krolvin warriors was quite valuable and I'll be doing just that. But I still need something to hunt from 13-16 that will get me good experience. Shelfae also look interesting, but their tremors could get me killed.

[Edited on 7-8-2003 by Kranar]

Skaster
07-08-2003, 03:09 AM
Oh, I almost forgot. Nowadays, the krolvin mercenary/warrior area in River's Rest has the occasional warfarer around, which can really make things difficult, especially in a swarm. They spawn fully spelled up and like to e-wave and e-blast.

[Edited on 7-8-2003 by Skaster]

imported_Kranar
07-08-2003, 03:29 AM
Damn.

Parkbandit
07-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Ants, kobolds, goblins, greater orcs, hill trolls, ogres, war trolls, bears, silverback orcs, fire rats, fire cats and Warcats. Those can get you to level 25 with little effort and no special attacks. You could use the AI to rest in for all but the silverback orcs in Icemule. There you can use the bakery. You could also travel to the Caravansary and hunt the outside critters there.. I think orcs and urghs there are easy.

ZGemstone
07-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Another area near the Landing that I used was manticores late at night and the cave out in the manticore area which has several different creatures. In the main shaft you can find worms and things like that (level 8-15?), to the left are cave trolls (level 15-17?), and then further in are crystal golems. Crystal golems (level 8-15) do have a CM attack though, but they are great for ambushing if that's what you'll be doing. Cave trolls can sometimes get nasty too if you're not old enough. Anyhow, that used to be a deserted hunting area most of the time. Not sure what it's like now.

Anyone heard any news on when The Fallen is supposed to be coming out? I may start working on some scripts now myself. Kranar are you using the Wizard as the FE or something else?

imported_Kranar
07-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Just using the WizardFE. I was looking into the Wizbot, but there seems to be no documentation on it available.

Parkbandit
07-09-2003, 09:13 AM
I have a friend that uses Wizbot.. it's unbelievable if you know how to use it. So many variables.

It takes a while to get going.. but once you set it up.. scripting is pretty much invisible. Hell, he had like 100 random things he would say/do and it was always on the lookout for a GM or host.

ZGemstone
07-09-2003, 09:27 AM
I'm a little behind on these things, but where can you download WizBot? Anyone know who created it?

imported_Kranar
07-09-2003, 11:21 AM
I bet it's good, but without documentation it's useless.

Skaster
07-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Kranar, have you tried cyclopses in Solhaven? They're around 17 or 18, and pretty damn easy. Their two-handed 11 second RT swings with the trunk are at like.. DF .175 or worse, and they don't shake stuns.

I don't know how deserted they are anymore, but Solhaven is deserted in general past midnight.

ZGemstone
07-14-2003, 04:59 PM
I found somewhere to download WizBot from, but is there an official site of some sort? If anyone does happen to find documentation on the WizBot, I'd be interested in hearing about it too. Thanks.

imported_Kranar
07-18-2003, 02:30 AM
Just want to thank you guys for the suggestions, they worked out nicely.

imported_Kranar
07-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Hit 20 levels in 22 days...

This is looking promising for when The Fallen comes.

Bobmuhthol
07-22-2003, 10:02 PM
You'll be killed while you hunt. Especially if you script hunt.

imported_Kranar
07-22-2003, 10:58 PM
Unlikely.

If you play it the instant it comes out, no one can kill you since you're protected for level 1 and 2. Then afterwards it's pretty hard for another level 3 guy to kill someone the same level as him.

I think when the Fallen comes out for the first time, people will not be quick to make enemies since there will be no clerics or empaths about. People will have to respect one another, follow the principle of MAD (mutually assured destruction), until the first wave of level 20s arrive. Then once that happens yeah, people will try and kill script hunters.

The key will be to script the very instant the Fallen comes out so that you are part of the very first wave of titled characters.