PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying tips and techniques for new and old players alike

Raffles
05-09-2008, 05:01 AM
In the hope of promoting better RP and getting some tips myself i thought I'd start this thread, I thought we could post our ideas of what makes good RP and bad RP on here along with some tips on how to RP better?

Some of my personal pet hates in RP are:

People that speak Darkly all the time
Extreme racial stereotypes
Use of the terms level/training/age (when referring to level)
using 'bad weather' to denote lag when in the game its sunny

Someone else can kick off with the good RP and I'll be all ears ;-)

Asha
05-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Good RP isn't as easy to point out as wank RP. Just don't be Perigourd
I agree with all of your hates though.

Except extreme racial stereotypes.
That's another case of only being bad when it's done badly.

Rue
05-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Do you know how hard it is to play a racial character RP wise?
I think there comes a time some do it poorly but for the most part it is handled well and helps give the game a little more diversity.

Heck I would love to see more racial/culture facts enforced especially in certain areas, and leave areas like the landing like it is, an open port for every type of walk there is to interact with each other.

Things I really have found appealing in RP is how some are respectful with others, especially if they don't know the person.
I like how the tones in conversations are getting used, so you know what is being said. (I am horrible at doing that myself, but am getting better at it. Sometimes I really just like to remain quiet, just like I guess some like to keep their voice dark though I am having a hard time understand exactly what a dark voice sounds like)

I love how players actually have story's to their lives too.

I think my biggest bitch is the blatant ooc, and how many just like to wear whatever despite the culture rules. (Again, I think the area matters too.)
As long as someone at least TRIES to RP, I don't care how they do it, and try to over look it if its in bad taste. Sometimes people need to learn how to, and alot of that is set by example. So as you point one finger at someone else for doing something wrong, remember you have three fingers pointing back at yourself.

My two silvers worth.

Raffles
05-09-2008, 12:16 PM
i like seeing some of the RP tools used well for example the books/note pads etc and characters that interact more with the world around them and not just other players/ncps.

Its nice to see people reacting to things going on around them or happening too them, for instance i like seeing people that have missing arms actually act like they have rather than coming for a healing and saying in a happy tone 'healing please'

I like seeing characters that are dressed to suit their RP too , ive seen some salty seadogs in some really simple but effective outfits (eg an old human in slightly worn out seafaring clothes) which help me to find them more believable too.