PDA

View Full Version : 'Roleplaying Reinvented'

DaMaGe
12-24-2003, 10:21 PM
I'd just like to give a big WHAT THE FUCK? to the Simutronics staff for the invasion of grinches singing something akin to 'Deck the Halls' in the Small Park tonight. Great job, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

-Adam

Rastaman
12-24-2003, 10:23 PM
yeah really wtf

Kitsun
12-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Oh come on, I find that highly amusing heh.

They're inventing new ways of passing off oddities for roleplay! Thats it!

Rastaman
12-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Next Thrak Claus will come.

Sean
12-24-2003, 10:28 PM
i know a few of you hardcore RPer might have some serious problems with that but sheesh its the holidays cheer up and have some fun with the staff.

DaMaGe
12-24-2003, 10:33 PM
I knew someone would say that.

My idea of fun is roleplaying. It's hard to get into character with a bunch of bullshit like this going on.

-Adam

Sean
12-24-2003, 10:36 PM
so then find a way to rp with the situation and just remeber that some of us did have fun with it and some of us are in the holiday spirit and had a good time. im not bashing your pt of view i totally understand it. i just think bah humbugging everything festive that the gms might do isnt worth it.

Scott
12-24-2003, 11:10 PM
It's christmas.... let it go

GSLeloo
12-24-2003, 11:14 PM
I think some people either don't celebrate Christmas or hate the holidays... It was just them trying to be festive so calm down.

Edaarin
12-24-2003, 11:15 PM
Um for the record Weedmage, Sintik altered that IM from himself to you. Heh.

Stargate84: You are ugly
Mooshoo16: i modeled him after sintik
Stargate84: I'm hot
Mooshoo16: sintik 20 years ago, of course
Stargate84: Now you just need "and a Weedmage Princess type face"
Mooshoo16: if only i didnt already like my sig
Mooshoo16: i'd say, 'look sintik'
Mooshoo16: and it'd show 'sintik appears to be the result of a drunken barn dance between vif and warclaidhm'

DaMaGe
12-25-2003, 11:29 AM
I just think this sort of stuff invites open OOC from idiots like Vif, whom are openly OOC all of the time. I understand totally what the GM's are trying to do, I just think they're going about it the wrong way is all.

And for the record, yes I really do not care for Christmas all that much anymore aside from the fact that it marks the birthdate of Jesus Christ.

-Adam

P.S. - Bah, Humbug.

Solkern
12-25-2003, 12:10 PM
that's simu for you, they try to inforce no going OOC yet they do it constently

[Edited on 12-25-2003 by Solkern]

Prestius
12-26-2003, 09:49 AM
Yet another thread that makes me realize that I am glad I'm not a GM.

-P

Myshel
12-26-2003, 09:55 AM
How funny I wish I had seen it. I look at anything like that rp as a oddity and can work with it. That the player knows what its about shouldn't affect your rp. Lighten up and enjoy the moment, anything new adds to the game if you want it too.

HarmNone
12-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Prestius
Yet another thread that makes me realize that I am glad I'm not a GM.

-P

I agree, Prestius. In so many, many ways the GMs are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Besides, I cannot help but wonder if maybe, sometimes, the GMs/GHs would just like to get in on a little of the fun themselves.

HarmNone says: Give 'em a break! :)

Overlord
12-26-2003, 06:24 PM
They always do something seasonal.. what did you expect...I agree to both sides of this and quite frankly I'm glad i wasn't playing yesterday

Originally posted by Overlord
Yeah seriously though i've seen many a GM fuck around. Seen one wearing a backwards facing baseball cap, a shirt with "NY Yankees" stiched onto it, and take a guess at what he was wielding....

Caiylania
12-26-2003, 07:02 PM
There is a huge difference I think between Vif carrying red rags in her pants and talking OOC to be a shit and GM's trying to lighten the mood and have fun on a holiday.

If you don't like the implications I can understand, but give them a break. They are not the OOC snert's we don't like. They are overworked people who are STILL trying to do things for the players and have fun.

Latrinsorm
12-28-2003, 08:53 PM
They should take the position that OOC things are bad all the time. If you take a universal position and combine it with nearly universal power, it is very easy to enforce.

Any time I see the phrase Thrakmas I want to strangle many things. Luckily, the squirrels have yet to get smarter.

Soulpieced
12-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Thrakmas is a terrible thing too. I'd see nothing wrong with having thrakmas as a flagged word like scripted is now (which I have no problems with, and actioned is equally as stupid if not worse). Thrakkukah should also equal a soaping.

Czeska
12-29-2003, 12:25 PM
I understand the complaints about it being OOC, but even more I agree with Myshel.. just find a way to make it fun, or ignore it.
Really, complaining is too big a hobby for a lot of GSers (myself included on a bad day).
Cylla (my empath) died twice in that invasion. In Solhaven an abominable snowmonster caught her in town, then when the monsters were gone, I headed up to the landing and got whacked by a pine tree sprite or something of the like.

Frankly, I laughed my ass off. Only thing funnier is the death window on Halloween, or the April fools day messaging.

Silversi
12-29-2003, 04:34 PM
ya know.. isn't this a FANTASY game? Do we really live in a world like this? Do we really hunt massive troll kings, or dark orcs? How many of us walk around casting spells on each other *heh ok maybe a few of us do that sometimes*... but seriously.. it's a game, a fantasy, never gonna be real game... so have fun, if you dont like whats going on at the moment, leave the GAME and go do something that's actually real.

Moist Happenings
12-29-2003, 04:37 PM
Well, they've always done stuff like this. I never liked it. They used to have a bunch of freakin' turkeys invade on thanksgiving. I take it with a grain of salt. There are bigger fish to fry at this point in the game.

Artha
12-29-2003, 06:58 PM
If you're hanging out in the small park, there's a 98% chance you aren't there to be RPing.

Bobmuhthol
12-29-2003, 07:00 PM
I do on my other characters sometimes. Rarely as Bobmuhthol.

Then again, I don't go in the park in the first place.

DaMaGe
12-29-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Artha
If you're hanging out in the small park, there's a 98% chance you aren't there to be RPing.

That doesn't make it right for the GM's to unleash a string of very out of genre events.

Enforce the rules all the way, or don't even bother at all.

-Adam

Fallen
12-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Report the behavior, explaining why you think it is disruptive and how it detracted from your roleplaying experience.

Leave a lengthy Comment stating the same and perhaps expanding a bit on the subject.

IC what should you do? Scowl and walk away. Any further acknowledgment of such crap is demeaning to your character.

Damned if you don't? Fuck that, they would have been just fine if they had not pulled crap like this in such a public area. Make an announcement that "Holiday Festivities" will be held at "Such and such" Tent far away from people who dont wish to be involved in such blatant OOC activities.

By all means have fun, but dont shove it in everyone elses faces to do so.

[Edited on 12-30-2003 by Fallen]

MrThorbizzle
12-30-2003, 02:21 PM
There's a big thread in some folder on the NEW official boards which has some GMs justifying it...

saying that since hobbits/halflings and stuff are from children's literature, grinches are valid too...

:: UGH ::

Fallen
12-30-2003, 02:29 PM
The sad part is with a little effort they could make christmas an elanthian holiday.

Just say that the Elanthian winter soltice falls on the same time as X-mas and have some cultures (like humans) adopt the time as a holiday.

As for introducing crap like grinches and what have you? Pretty lame. The Aletolitai or whatever were bad enough.

Shalla
12-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by DaMaGe
My idea of fun is roleplaying. It's hard to get into character with a bunch of bullshit like this going on.
-Adam

Having said that, I would think that most people in game would be traumatized by the number of deaths they have experienced, and the carnage they have witnessed. I would think that most IN game family member's reaction to one of their own dying as more traumatic.. rather than.. Ehhh.. He/she'll be back. She'll live.

But this is roleplaying afterall. So I'm neutral on this one.. since I enjoy both. But I guess for the hard core roleplayers.. Maybe that's the reason Simu made platinum.

DaMaGe
12-30-2003, 04:27 PM
I've played Platinum before. I left because it's BORING.

They could have carried out the same idea, all in genre, with just a little bit of thought and ingenuity. Replace the grinches with something already available in the world we know as Elanthia, spruce it up with a small plotline and there you go. Same effect, ( almost )everyone's happy.

-Adam