PDA

View Full Version : attn Eggheads

Keller
05-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I am trying to use my television as my computer display to play things I've downloaded from iTunes. I picked up an SVGA cable from Best Buy to connect the computer to my TV. My TV recognizes that I am trying to display my computer on it because it has a new component source when I cycle through (even called CPU I think), but it says that it is not supported and displayed a black screen.

Here's what I've got: 42 inch Samsung DLP for the display and an nvidia geforce 7950 GT for the video card.

I did about 15 minutes of google research, but I failed to find any forum posts or other information. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Mistomeer
05-05-2008, 06:23 PM
My guess would be the resolution. Try using the lowest resolution setting and working up from there.

Keller
05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
My guess would be the resolution. Try using the lowest resolution setting and working up from there.

Hmmm. I'm been playing with it. I can make it work on Duel-view mode. It basically creates a second desktop to the right of my monitor and displays it on the television. But it wont clone my monitor and it wont uniquely display on my television. I'm seriously confused.

BigWorm
05-05-2008, 10:33 PM
If you have an nvidia, then it sounds like you're using TwinView. There should be an option on the nvidia driver control panel to treat the other output as a separate display. You'll need to do this because you almost definitely want different resolutions on your desktop and the TV.

Bobmuhthol
05-05-2008, 10:41 PM
What BigWorm said. There's usually a setting in the software (regardless of nVidia / ATI) where you have to declare that the display is either a clone of your monitor or an extension of the desktop.

Keller
05-06-2008, 11:41 AM
The problem is that when I set it to clone, my TV displays that I am not receiving a signal. Without touching the cables, when I switch to it to dual-view or whatever -- it shows up without problem.

I don't get it. I think I'm just going to return the cable and forget about it.

Stanley Burrell
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Uninstall the operating system and replace it with Windows 98 :thumbup:

BigWorm
05-06-2008, 12:32 PM
The problem is that when I set it to clone, my TV displays that I am not receiving a signal. Without touching the cables, when I switch to it to dual-view or whatever -- it shows up without problem.

I don't get it. I think I'm just going to return the cable and forget about it.

If you still want to play with it, if you can set up your desktop to include the TV as a second monitor, you're probably not far from where you want to be. I would guess that whatever resolution your computer is putting out is not recognized by your TV. I would start with a resolution of 640x480 which is SD television, and then work your way up from there.

Keller
05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
If you still want to play with it, if you can set up your desktop to include the TV as a second monitor, you're probably not far from where you want to be. I would guess that whatever resolution your computer is putting out is not recognized by your TV. I would start with a resolution of 640x480 which is SD television, and then work your way up from there.

Because I am too lazy to drive to Best Buy, I will try that first. Thanks.

Doughboy
05-06-2008, 03:52 PM
You definitely want to find out the native resolution for your screen. Without knowing the specifics of the TV I can't give you a good answer on that part of it. Generally though you should be able to at least input a 1080i signal to the TV (1920x1080). I believe all HDTV's must be able to accept a 720p/1080i signal. Some of the newer 720p models will accept a 1080p signal it just wont be displayed as such.