PDA

View Full Version : Unnecessary walks

Edaarin
12-23-2003, 02:04 PM
I hate the 40 minute walk to Ta'Illistim. I think it's obscenely long and largely unnecessary. Some people say that it's really only 20 minutes, if you consider walking to Zul Logoth takes 20 minutes and some people hunt there. I say that's bull crap, we all know no one voluntarily stays there. It'd be nice to be able to hunt somewhere closer so that if I want to buy/sell stuff, I don't have to kill an hour and a half walking back and forth.

Czeska
12-23-2003, 02:07 PM
More like a 40 minute script. I agree, it is a pain. But perhaps seperatism is what the folks coding it were looking for. What I think is a shame is that people spent tons of time writing cool descriptions for points along the way that no one ever sees, cause they script through.

Halfsilver
12-23-2003, 02:07 PM
The cart rides are almost 10 minutes a peice...so whoever says the walk is 20 minutes if full of shit.

Another thing is the lake of fear ferry. It takes forever.

They should cut the wait on that, the carts, and the boat to river's rest. Which is so ridiculously long, that I don't even bother to go there anymore.

- D

edited: because I meant rest, not solhaven.

[Edited on 12-23-2003 by Halfsilver]

Parkbandit
12-23-2003, 03:28 PM
There is a reason for their madness... it creates a sense of community. Look at Teras and Rivers Rest (since they got rid of the log).

Do I like it? Nope.. but it does keep me from going to Ta'Illistim on a whim.. which is exactly what it's designed to do.

Miss X
12-23-2003, 04:08 PM
Hmm, once when a friend and I went to Illistim we didnt wanna take the long walk, so we used rings to the dock, then after the ferry ride (and walking a few rooms I think) I cast 130 and ended up in Zul Logoth past the first cart ride. Cut the trip down by quite a bit. I wonder if its still possible to do that?

Caiylania
12-23-2003, 04:21 PM
It is realistic. Elanthia is a big continent. You can't just get from California to Kentucky in a day. It would make no sense to be able to just 'hop' all the way from Elanthia's west coast to it's East coast.

Halfsilver
12-23-2003, 04:34 PM
Normally, it'll take almost twice as long to travel from Solhaven to River's Rest on the smuggler's cutter as it does to travel from the Vipershroud to Ta'Illistim.

Now, Illistim is on the other side of the continent from the Vipershroud. River's Rest is a relatively short boat ride south of the port of Solhaven.

So, realism isn't a good arguement here, because those facts show that the wait times and distances don't match.

- D

Zir
12-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Aren't they going to have airships going to the nations someday?

Overlord
12-23-2003, 07:52 PM
I have some fun when taking groups to EN, like yelling in the canyons and hearing my booming voice echo. fun fun. And yeah i did spend about a month in logoth to get away from EVERYONE. One of the best places to do so....the fact that there were MTKs in the area had nothing to do with it *cough*
Have some good friends there! And besides how long do you think it would take to seriously walk to EN from the landing... real time. 30 Mins for me is easily managable, and tolerable.

Solkern
12-23-2003, 08:26 PM
I remember when EN first opened, Draccor, jacintha, Drewain and a few others walekd there blindly, We were one fo the first groups in Illistum was badass. and a DAMN long walk

Overlord
12-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Its really not to damn difficult, I for one don't use a script. Having 3 type ahead lines and a nice connection makes it a damn swift jounrey. (though now its back to two due to simus thieving ways!!)

Kitsun
12-23-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Miss X
Hmm, once when a friend and I went to Illistim we didnt wanna take the long walk, so we used rings to the dock, then after the ferry ride (and walking a few rooms I think) I cast 130 and ended up in Zul Logoth past the first cart ride. Cut the trip down by quite a bit. I wonder if its still possible to do that?

Ringing to the ferry still works. Fogging after the ferry does not. You can't foghome, fogto or open familiar gates. They also made it so you can't foghome from the ferry to get to the landing.

Very frustrating to find out for the first time, heh.

Latrinsorm
12-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Caiylania
You can't just get from California to Kentucky in a day.

Couldn't I fly and make it?

Is not flight, at it's base, magical?

Do we not, in Elanthia, use magic?

I don't know what kind of phrasing that is, but it has to stop. Right now. I got coathooks for Christmas. Also, my retainer broke. How's everyone else doing? :D:D

Fallen
12-30-2003, 03:16 PM
So it is safe to say the two most distant (created) cities are Pinefar and Ta' Illistrim. Assuming ofcourse you cant just go over the Dragonspines.

Teras to Illistrim or RR to Illistrim would possibly be longer, but not if you timed it so you caught the boats just as you arrived.

Moist Happenings
12-30-2003, 03:19 PM
They should make warpstones that they sell at the general store and the warpstones can send you to any place in the world and all you have to do is say the name of the room you want to go to and it the warpstone sends you there.

Also the warpstones would give you superpowers.

Fallen
12-30-2003, 03:21 PM
There is an item that does something like that. One of those priceless god-auction dealies.

Sorcerous teleportation is also in the far off future. It will be a long distance spell/ability. Though it will involve heavy prep times and ingredients.

Moist Happenings
12-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Yes but my way is better.

Also the warpstones would be free.

Czeska
12-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Mmm warpstones.

Fallen
12-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Also the warpstones would be free. >>

As would be the 10x vorporeal blades of doom.