PDA

View Full Version : Fake Appraisal - Statue of Ktulu

Lysander
05-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Fake Appraisal. And is this legal ingame? Told it was quite old.

Item :

A large obsidian statue of a winged octopoid humanoid.

Show:

The figure is between one and two feet in height, and of exquisitely artistic workmanship. It represents a monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face is a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind. This thing, which seemed instinct with a fearsome and unnatural malignancy, is of a somewhat bloated corpulence, and squats evilly on a rectangular pedestal covered in undecipherable characters which the shapes you make out as: "In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming." The tips of the wings touched the back edge of the block, the seat occupied the center, whilst the long, curved claws of the doubled-up, crouching hind legs gripped the front edge and extended a quarter of the way down toward the bottom of the pedestal. The cephalopod head was bent forward, so that the ends of the feelers brushed the backs of the forepaws which clasped the croucher's elevated knees. The aspect of the whole was abnormally lifelike, and the more subtly fearful because its source was so totally unknown.

It's got a scripted raise dead spell in it. There could be more, but with the current ability what could it be worth?
Don't know about charges. Doesn't use mana or drains or stuns the user, used it only twice and I'm a warrior so doesn't take into account the user's skill either. Neat item. value?

Kellestar raises an octopoid statue at Histrion.

A ominous chant echoes throughtout the room:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtan!

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Cthulhu R'lyeh fhtagn!

A bolt of soft white light streaks down from the sky bathing Histrion in it.
A brilliant glow forms around Histrion, lingers for a moment, and finally fades. Histrion awakens looking somewhat confused and seriously drained.
Histrion seems slightly different.

*Not a Real Item*

NocturnalRob
05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
shows of more than 500 characters are illegal. fake!

oh, and i hate you.

The Ponzzz
05-01-2008, 03:27 PM
More than just the character limit make this fake.

Lysander
05-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Need an appraisal please, thanks.

NocturnalRob
05-01-2008, 03:47 PM
More than just the character limit make this fake.

good point. i mean, i could have just pointed out the OP, but I wanted to go slightly more in depth. at least at a cursory glance.

OP, 180m. totally.

Celephais
05-01-2008, 03:49 PM
So what part of posting non-existant sale items getting your posts squashed makes you think it doesn't apply to fake appraisals?

Skeeter
05-01-2008, 03:50 PM
sucks you can't even spell Cthulhu correctly.

Celephais
05-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Worst part about this guy is he clearly likes HP Lovecraft... and he's bringing down the good name.

Drunken Durfin
05-01-2008, 03:59 PM
http://www.trialteamone.com/teras/ignore.bmp

Lysander
This message is hidden because Lysander is on your ignore list.

Peace...happiness...tranquility.

Lysander
05-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Actually Ktulu is a perfectly legit spelling. Theres a metallica song called Call of Ktulu spelled exactly the same way off their Ride the lightning CD (best one imho).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IbkEEtED6s

NocturnalRob
05-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Actually Ktulu is a perfectly legit spelling. Theres a metallica song called Call of Ktulu spelled exactly the same way off their Ride the lightning CD (best one imho).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IbkEEtED6s

yeah, i definitely take all my understanding of spelling, syntax, grammar, etc. from Metallica...

Also, that song is awesome.

Skeeter
05-01-2008, 04:13 PM
my mistake. If Metallica said so it must be true.

Maerit
05-01-2008, 04:58 PM

oh, and i hate you.

I actually have an item with a show greater than 500 chars:

The blade of this sword, crafted from pure vultite, is unusually long and almost seems too large to wield with one hand. The oversized hilt of the sword is crafted from thick ivory, and covered with sturdy dark leather which is etched with an intricate pattern of swirls. A round guard, covered in mangy black fur, protects the wielder's hands while providing warmth. Capped into the pommel of this sword is a deep blue thunderstone etched with tiny giantkin runes.
Wrapped around the espadon is a diamond-eyed sleek black viper staring at you with malice in its eyes.

Word counts it at 568 characters including spaces, and I believe spaces do count.

This item, along with many others, is up for auction in my sale! Feel free to check it out in the "Auctions" folder and make a bid!

(yes, this was a shameless promotion of my auction, I admit!)

thefarmer
05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
The snake is part of a script that doesn't count against the characters. It'd be similar to having a blessed or ebladed weapon and seeing it show up in the show.

Warriorbird
05-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Make better fakes.

H.P. Lovecraft doesn't want you.

Celephais
05-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Of course that had nothing to do with Metallica not wanting to be sued by HP's estate for stealling intellectual property. (I love that irony there).

Maerit
05-01-2008, 05:18 PM
The snake is part of a script that doesn't count against the characters. It'd be similar to having a blessed or ebladed weapon and seeing it show up in the show.

True, but its permanent on the weapon and will never go away. So I may be "technically" correct, and according to No. 1.0 from Futurama, that is the best kind of correct.

NocturnalRob
05-01-2008, 06:04 PM
True, but its permanent on the weapon and will never go away.

wait, it's permanent on the weapon AND it will never go away?! that's craziness!! i have to have it!

Celephais
05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
So I may be "technically" correct, and according to No. 1.0 from Futurama, that is the best kind of correct.
+1 for the reference!

There is a character named Cthulhu in game... I've never met him, but I'm very jealous of his character name.

Lysander
05-01-2008, 07:02 PM
From Cthulhu Wiki

Cthulhu (alternate spellings: Tulu, Cthulu, Ktulu, and many others) is a fictional character in the Cthulhu Mythos of H.P. Lovecraft. Cthulhu often includes the title Great or Dread.

Cthulhu's name is usually pronounced /kəˈθuːluː/, /kəˈθʊːluː/, or /kəˈtʰʊːluː/ (IPA transliteration); however, according to Lovecraft, this may simply be the closest that human vocal cords can come to reproducing the syllables of an alien language[1] . In fact, Lovecraft speculated that "Khlul'hloo" might be closer to the actual pronunciation. The ancient Babylonians believed in fish-men named Kulullu, a race of demons that Tiamat gave birth to.

Soulpieced
05-01-2008, 07:23 PM
In all seriousness, stop posting appraisal requests and selling of shit that doesn't exist.

Stunseed
05-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Or just reply to him in PM's in the form of a spambot.

Tisket
05-01-2008, 07:29 PM
In all seriousness, stop posting appraisal requests and selling of shit that doesn't exist.

Whoa! SP actually putting the smackdown on someone? I've seen it all now.

Lysander
05-01-2008, 07:31 PM

But how do you know it doesn't exist? Hmmm....

Tisket
05-01-2008, 07:34 PM
But how do you know it doesn't exist? Hmmm....

Put up or shut up. Use it in TSC and let us know in advance.

Asha
05-01-2008, 07:36 PM
I just AIMed Bubbauno and he says it's not real. He's a GM. He told me.

Ban Lysander.

Tea & Strumpets
05-01-2008, 07:42 PM
PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!

Lysander
05-01-2008, 07:46 PM
http://scottwax.com/rice/ratedr/attention%20whore3.jpg

Thats me in RL!

Warriorbird
05-01-2008, 07:47 PM
http://blackmenvent.com/attention_whore23.jpg

diethx
05-01-2008, 07:49 PM

oh, and i hate you.

The limit is 513, actually.

True, but its permanent on the weapon and will never go away. So I may be "technically" correct, and according to No. 1.0 from Futurama, that is the best kind of correct.

WRONG! :D

Askip
05-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Let's see the item, otherwise I call bullshit.

Asha
05-01-2008, 09:00 PM
WRONG! :D

You had a Lex - Spacey chance there.
And you blew it.

I will pray for you.

diethx
05-01-2008, 11:31 PM
You had a Lex - Spacey chance there.
And you blew it.

I will pray for you.

I've used that pic too many times in the past couple of weeks. I did think about using it, though. Heh.

Stanley Burrell
05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
I think it's an awesome idea for you to give it an Empath twist and post, repeatedly, on the official forums in the healer folders.

Stanley Burrell
05-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Metallica

Get your jam on with bread and butter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYDetbwegs

Drisco
05-02-2008, 12:38 AM
I just can't bring myself to put anyone on the ignore list. It bugs me to much that I can't see what stupid shit they say. I am weak, but! If I did put anyone on the list it would be Lysander.

Mabus
05-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Of course that had nothing to do with Metallica not wanting to be sued by HP's estate for stealling intellectual property. (I love that irony there).
The name also has a loose basis for being about Sumerian mythos, though some say it is just a part of the fictional work of the Simon Necronomicon.

If you are stating that using Lovecraft's work is stealing then you must also consider that published pre-1923 works in the USA are now public domain, and previous copyright law was life of author +70 years. H.P. Lovecraft died March 15, 1937.

CrystalTears
05-02-2008, 08:21 AM
I :heart: Snapp for adding "fake" to this appraisal. Best mod ever.

Lucas
05-02-2008, 09:24 AM
It would be hilarious if this guy actually pulls this thing out in TSC and uses it.

CrystalTears
05-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Just out of curiosity, has an item changed description when someone uses it?

It went from this...

A large obsidian statue of a winged octopoid humanoid.
To this...

Kellestar raises an octopoid statue at Histrion.

Celephais
05-02-2008, 10:53 AM
The name also has a loose basis for being about Sumerian mythos, though some say it is just a part of the fictional work of the Simon Necronomicon.

If you are stating that using Lovecraft's work is stealing then you must also consider that published pre-1923 works in the USA are now public domain, and previous copyright law was life of author +70 years. H.P. Lovecraft died March 15, 1937.
I have no idea what the copyright law is, I was just being a dick... either way though what was the case when Metallica wrote that song?

I love HP, he's my second favorite "author" (Bill Watterson, #1), I take every chance I get in game to make lovecraftian references; Although something like this would probably be too blatant for my taste.

Nilandia
05-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Speaking of, I'm completely addicted to your sigs, Celephais.

Gretchen

Celephais
05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Love to hear it, at least I know even if I post something stupid I've contributed something useful to a thread.
http://www.beerzombie.com/Comics/CalvinAndHobbes/19930218.gif
Had this one just pop up for me... love it.

Mabus
05-02-2008, 07:47 PM
I have no idea what the copyright law is, I was just being a dick...
I have spent a lot of time dealing with copyright law, not as a lawyer, but as a musician and a coder.

And nothing wrong with being "a dick" occasionally! Good to let that aggression out.

either way though what was the case when Metallica wrote that song?
No idea. Though there can be various spellings There is a wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Ktulu) that talks about the song. Maybe it is true, who knows?

I love HP, he's my second favorite "author" (Bill Watterson, #1),
I have always been a fan of HP Lovecraft. He hits that primal, internal fear spot with some of his writing.

What was the title of his short story where an artist that paints demons actually has them posing for him? Been so long since I read that.

Celephais
05-02-2008, 11:09 PM
What was the title of his short story where an artist that paints demons actually has them posing for him? Been so long since I read that.
Pickman's Model. Awesome story. I love how descriptive HP's stories are, which is what makes that short story so awesome, it parallels this "artist" to HP himself's stories. Only way to come up with some of the awesome stuff he wrote would be for him to experience it! :medieval:

Snapp
05-02-2008, 11:23 PM
It would be hilarious if this guy actually pulls this thing out in TSC and uses it.

It's also hilarious when you post in your own threads with different names defending yourself.

Lucas
05-02-2008, 11:31 PM
It's also hilarious when you post in your own threads with different names defending yourself.

What the heck are you talking about? Seriously, maybe you should check your mod thingie again.

Stunseed
05-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Pwnt by a mod. Hilarious.

Snapp
05-02-2008, 11:54 PM
What the heck are you talking about? Seriously, maybe you should check your mod thingie again.

One doesn't need to be able to check IPs to see that you're the same person. All anyone has to do is go to the Monk topic.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Every thread created in 2008 under the "Monk" topic was created by you, except nocturnix's thread making fun of you.

Mabus
05-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Pickman's Model. Awesome story. I love how descriptive HP's stories are, which is what makes that short story so awesome, it parallels this "artist" to HP himself's stories. Only way to come up with some of the awesome stuff he wrote would be for him to experience it! :medieval:
Thank you for the title.

Oh, googled it and came upon this site (http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/index.html). Happy reading, to you.

Tea & Strumpets
05-03-2008, 09:31 AM

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'm a schizophrenic,
And so am I.

Stanley Burrell
05-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'm a schizophrenic,
And so am I.

I mean technically that would be a multiple personality disorder and not schizophrenia, per se.

Nilandia
05-04-2008, 02:04 AM
It's actually a quote from Billy Connolly. Nice one, T&S.

Gretchen