PDA

View Full Version : Gem Chisel

Drunken Durfin
05-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Letting this go, reluctantly, so I can free up some silver and make some other purchases.

You tap a rust-stained iron chisel, which is in your right hand.

The iron chisel has a sharpened, flat edge on one end and a blunt knob on the other. The chisel looks worn from use but still gleams with sharpness. The craftsmanship on the chisel is solid and the runes engraved along its sides are intricately entangled.

You tap a blue moonstone, which is in your left hand.
>hit my moon with my chi
You strike at a blue moonstone with your chisel and hit it nearly in the center.
You now hold a faceted moonstone.

Min Bid: 110 million
Buy out: 150 million

I will accept silver, cash or a combination of both.

There is a discount for cash.

Agamemnon
05-01-2008, 02:05 PM
How much does the gem value increase by on average and is it dependent on some kind of skill or stat?

Danical
05-01-2008, 02:14 PM
it has a normal distribution and this is what I saw with 38 data points . . . sorry for the poor formatting.

Outcome Frequency # Frequency %
off-centered hitting your hand too. 15 39.47368421
pretty good while retaining your grip. 6 15.78947368
chip it along an angle you like. 5 13.15789474
nearly in the center. 5 13.15789474
You ruefully shake your wounded hand 3 7.894736842

You'll be getting a 19% increase (I think that's the messaging for 19% increase at least) the most frequently.

Sunfist members might be able to keep chiseling with Sigil of Determination (lasting 5 minutes for 30 stamina) instead of having to fuck around with an empath.

Durgrimst
05-01-2008, 02:46 PM
I currently have 250 gems that have already been sung from the temple and OTF, if Durfin wanted to do further testing.

Drunken Durfin
05-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Wow...sold in buy out.

Guess I should have set the BO higher.

Renian
05-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Someone must do a lot of gem farming to buy that on buyout.

...Tsin?

Stretch
05-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Jesus Christ, really?

Lochiven was taking a lot of shit for setting a buyout not much higher than that - I always thought these things were worth 65-80

Fallen
05-02-2008, 09:13 AM
They are kind of like Coin hands. Now that the item is sold, though, it seems like a pocket bard trained for purification can produce much the same results as this item. A gem can only be sung/chiseled for so much.

Drunken Durfin
05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I paid over 100m for it when I got it, and made quite a lot with it while it was in my possession. Chances are I will buy it again in a year or so, if it comes back out on the market.

Fallen is right that it is best used in the hands of a bard. I was getting an average of 64.53% value increase with my bard who has 112 bard song ranks and 56 manipulation lore. However, when I threw the chisel into the mix I was getting as much as 104.70% value increase (you should see my spreadsheet, it is nuts). So as far as maxing out the gem, it would take a really seriously high level pocket bard to negate the effects of the chisel.

And no, it was not Tsin who bought the chisel.

Fallen
05-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Out of curiosity, what do you think is the best way to use this item in conjunction with a bard? Chisel then sing, or sing then chisel?

Drunken Durfin
05-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I only did about 300 gems with the Chisel then Sing method. I saw a higher chisel increase with that method, but lower overall combined increase in value than the Sing then Chisel one, which I did thousands with.

Fallen
05-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I think with a bard that is very skilled the risk of shatter from the chisel goes up the higher you take the gem. Maybe a song or two into somewhat is the best way to go. That is why I think a bard who can take a gem all the way to its max value wouldn't get much out of the item. One that takes a gem up until they get the somewhat messaging will find it to be of use, though.

fallenSaint
05-02-2008, 10:02 AM
I think with a bard that is very skilled the risk of shatter from the chisel goes up the higher you take the gem. Maybe a song or two into somewhat is the best way to go. That is why I think a bard who can take a gem all the way to its max value wouldn't get much out of the item. One that takes a gem up until they get the somewhat messaging will find it to be of use, though.

Hmm, I'll toy with it and see what numbers I come up with.

Drunken Durfin
05-02-2008, 10:09 AM
The bard I use does not stop until he gets an orb or hits the "cannot be purified any more" message. Of the past 775 gems he sung to 9 shattered, 1.16%.

With that low of a shatter rate, stopping before the singing hits a wall for fear of shattering a gem is costing you more than you will lose.

All of those were then chiseled which took the value from 1,836,086 million to 3,358,065 silver for a combined increase of 82.89% in value.

NocturnalRob
05-02-2008, 10:12 AM
All of those were then chiseled which took the value from 1,836,086 million to 3,358,065 silver for a combined increase of 82.89% in value.

that's a lot of millions

Drunken Durfin
05-02-2008, 10:13 AM
that's a lot of millions

oops.

I wrote that initially as 1.8 millon to 3.3 million, but I figured since I was giving the exact percentage I should give the exact numbers. Missed the "million" in my deleting activities. Guess I should stop posting and go have breakfast.

Fallen
05-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Ah, well that answers that. The person I know with the chisel doesn't have the services of a bard who can reliably take gems up that high while being worth the shatter rate. As long as you can reliably push ABOVE the maximum bard sung threshhold without automatic failure, or dramatically increased rate of failure the item is indeed a good one for a skilled bard. I guess we just had a fun of bad luck.

Drunken Durfin
05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, on a related note, I will be putting that exact bard up for sale later today. Stay tuned.

NocturnalRob
05-02-2008, 10:24 AM
oops.

I wrote that initially as 1.8 millon to 3.3 million, but I figured since I was giving the exact percentage I should give the exact numbers. Missed the "million" in my deleting activities. Guess I should stop posting and go have breakfast.

eh, just fucking with you. i know what you meant. so did anyone with a brain. it's just sad that the figures you're throwing out for your test are more than I have in the bank. I have to stop buying stupid shit.

I just had a sausage, egg, cheese, hash brown breakfast sandwich with hot sauce and ketchup. fucking magical. highly recommended

Allereli
05-02-2008, 10:34 AM
I just had a sausage, egg, cheese, hash brown breakfast sandwich with hot sauce and ketchup. fucking magical. highly recommended

fucking magical = lots of gas

NocturnalRob
05-02-2008, 10:35 AM
fucking magical = lots of gas

only if you have the GI fortitude of a fucking child

pussy