PDA

View Full Version : Alator - another vulture

The Cat In The Hat
12-23-2003, 12:50 PM
While I will be the first to say that not all empaths are like this, my empaths are NOT. But this just pisses me off to no end and im not used to this because I hardly ever have to deal with this kinda thing, but being Dhe'nar, if I had gotten my wits about me fast enough I would have killed him (because thats her personality).

Cat

****LOG ****

[Rambling Meadows, Orchard]
The ground is soft and muddy, releasing a pungent burst of fetid odor when traversed. Dead fruit trees stand slender and silent, finger-like bare branches sprouting from lifeless grey trunks. A slight rustling in the nearby grasses indicates the presence of a slow-moving denizen of this orchard, but its exact form remains hidden. You also see a spotted leaper.
Obvious paths: north, southeast, west, northwest
>
A spotted leaper claws at you!
AS: +76 vs DS: +113 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +48 = +48
A clean miss.

You are now in an offensive stance.
>You swing a longsword at a spotted leaper!
AS: +70 vs DS: +19 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +23 = +116
... and hit for 4 points of damage!
Near-miss!
That'll hurt tomorrow.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>stance def
>
You are now in a defensive stance.

You tap some acantha leaf.
>
A spotted leaper tries to bite you!
AS: +76 vs DS: +113 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +8 = +5
A clean miss.

Journeyman Alator just arrived.
>
You put a longsword in your golden yellow pack.

You are now in a defensive stance.

You remove some acantha leaf from in your golden yellow pack.

You take a bite of your acantha leaf.
You feel a little better.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
You have only about 9 bites left.
>
Alator meditates over you.
Alator takes your abdomen damage.
>
A spotted leaper claws at Alator!
AS: +76 vs DS: +106 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +1 = +6
A clean miss.

You put some acantha leaf in your golden yellow pack.
>
Alator meditates over you.
Alator takes all of your blood loss.
>
Alator loses his focused look.

You glance at Alator.
>
Alator bows.

You see Journeyman Alator the Healer.
He appears to be an Aelotoi of the Mrae'ni Clan.
He appears to be in the bloom of youth and average height. He has brooding stormy green eyes and bronze skin. He has a bald head. He has a pair of wings.
He has deep lacerations across his abdominal area.
He has a scar across his neck, old battle scars on his right arm, old battle scars on his left arm, old battle scars on his left leg, old battle scars on his right hand, old battle scars on his left hand, several painful-looking scars across his chest, an old battle scar across his abdominal area, several painful-looking scars across his back, a black-and-blue right eye, a black-and-blue left eye, developed slurred speech, and a scar across his face.
He is bleeding from the abdomen.
He is holding a chrome imflass rapier in his right hand and an etched faenor kite shield in his left hand.
He is wearing a leather dagger sheath, a crystal amulet, a small cobalt blue belt pouch, a large golden yellow pack, some dark blue square-toed shoes, a pair of gold-threaded leggings, a gold ring, and some double leather.
>
A spotted leaper sits up on its hind legs and peers about.
>
Journeyman Alator just went southeast.

You remove a longsword from in your golden yellow pack.

Kitsun
12-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Here I would've gone and said, "Now thats service!"

Seriously though, he could've just asked you if you wanted healing.

The Cat In The Hat
12-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Kitsun
Here I would've gone and said, "Now thats service!"

Seriously though, he could've just asked you if you wanted healing.

When I went back to town he was in victory ct. and I whispered to him "Sha'isa, but I did not ask you to heal me, therefor I would appreciate it if you kept your hands to yourself in the future.".. he just glanced at me like I was being rude. ::shrug::

Cat

Czeska
12-23-2003, 01:12 PM
My empath asks first, unless it's a close friend. But I'd venture to guess that he was trying to help. A little benefit of the doubt.. you see someone hunting and they're hurt. Why would they not want healing?

Yeah, i know the RP reasons. But even if it IS RP, a healer vows to heal.

My 2 cents.

Sean
12-23-2003, 01:12 PM
heh if an empath jsut walked around healing me in the stronghold i dont think youd ever hear me complain ... unless it was a dipshit like mhzental

The Cat In The Hat
12-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Czeska
My empath asks first, unless it's a close friend. But I'd venture to guess that he was trying to help. A little benefit of the doubt.. you see someone hunting and they're hurt. Why would they not want healing?

My 2 cents.

If GS isnt about RP then what else? I have always always played "myself" in the lands and Ive had fun. I RP myself. I finally decided to make a Dhe'nar, something to try to RP being something I definatley am not, she prefers not to be healed, now... while I do think he was trying to help in his own way, I did not appreciate the invasion.

Cat

Chelle
12-23-2003, 01:19 PM
I was in the Park once eating acantha leaf and all of a sudden this bitch starts healing me. I don't remember her name, but I politely whisper to her, in the future would you please ask first before healing.

Then she busts a nut and goes off on me saying that I am ungreatful and should be thanking her. I said if I wanted an empath to heal me I would've simply announced it or gone to town center and to please simply ask first. She goes off on another tangent and I tell her that what she did is considered vulturing and rude. Oh of course she loved that and started cursing in whispers and finally left the area.

It's like, fine, if you wana heal, why is it so freaking hard to be courteous and simply ask the person before putting your grubby hands all over them?!

Xcalibur
12-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Whisper @ If you continue this behavior with me, I'll take it as a consentement to PvP

You'd be surprised how good that works...:D

HarmNone
12-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Once upon a time, in a land long ago, taking wounds from adventurers in the field was considered GOOD form. There was no need, nor expectation, to ask. Of course, for those empaths it was not all about gaining experience and levels.

However, this has not been true for a long time. The old ways had already fallen when I left the game. If you were in the field, wounded and bleeding, you could not count on anyone to pass by, heal you, ensure you had the necessary spells and go on their way. To do so was coming to be considered "vulturing". A wandering field healer who wished to be proper would ask before healing anyone.

When something like this happens, I always wonder if it was some poor soul returned from the past. I doubt it, but it does give me pause.

HarmNone

The Cat In The Hat
12-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Once upon a time, in a land long ago, taking wounds from adventurers in the field was considered GOOD form. There was no need, nor expectation, to ask. Of course, for those empaths it was not all about gaining experience and levels.

However, this has not been true for a long time. The old ways had already fallen when I left the game. If you were in the field, wounded and bleeding, you could not count on anyone to pass by, heal you, ensure you had the necessary spells and go on their way. To do so was coming to be considered "vulturing". A wandering field healer who wished to be proper would ask before healing anyone.

When something like this happens, I always wonder if it was some poor soul returned from the past. I doubt it, but it does give me pause.

HarmNone

Considering she wasnt bleeding and it was just a minor...

Cat

HarmNone
12-23-2003, 01:42 PM
I would agree, in your situation, Cat. The healers of whom I speak would have assessed first. ;)

I was simply remembering the way it once was. :)

HarmNone

Czeska
12-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by The Cat In The Hat

My 2 cents.

If GS isnt about RP then what else? I have always always played "myself" in the lands and Ive had fun. I RP myself. I finally decided to make a Dhe'nar, something to try to RP being something I definatley am not, she prefers not to be healed, now... while I do think he was trying to help in his own way, I did not appreciate the invasion.

Cat

I agree it's about RP. What I meant was, I understand some folks do not want to be healed for RP reasons. My other point was that if I walked past someone in a dangerous place (ie, somewhere where a monster might bite them) and I saw they had a wound they were trying to cure (eating herbs) and I could do something about it magickally...
It would be appropriate to do so. As a gesture of good will.
But like HarmNone said, it's not generally viewed as good will now. Which is why I ask first. Too bad though, if you ask me. Too many "vultures" took advantage of the good folks.

Parkbandit
12-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Most of my characters would appreciate his kindness in healing him... at least 1 of my characters would get mad.. and one other would simply shove an arrow in his eye for touching him.

Miss X
12-23-2003, 01:49 PM
My empath is a field healer, thats how she see's herself, and thats what I love most about healing, and I often heal people that I pass while hunting, or fog to people who need healing while hunting, however would I ever do it without asking first? No. Does it take much effort to say 'Do you need any healing before I go? No.

I'd love for it to be an acceptable way of healing, in the field, (Id also LOVE a Field Healer proffesion title!!!!) but since its not a preffered method of healing I think all healers should ask. I know my rogue, who doesnt like empaths would go crazy if someone did that to her while hunting!

[Edit because my punctuation seems to be poor this evening]

[Edited on 23-12-03 by Miss X]

The Cat In The Hat
12-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Too many "vultures" took advantage of the good folks.

Exactly!

Cat

Czeska
12-23-2003, 01:51 PM
That makes sense. My characters tend to vary quite a bit in their personalities.
I guess I'd give them the benefit of the doubt as a player, and the RP it appropriately. I guess it's the title of "vulture" I don't care for in this situation.

HarmNone
12-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Even when it was acceptable to heal without asking, there were some characters the empaths knew to ask first. Yet, even those characters would not kill without warning if it was an empath they did not know, or knew did not know them. The best of those handled the situation in-character and often brilliantly. :)

HarmNone

Edaarin
12-23-2003, 01:56 PM
I went through about a 2 month or so period where I hated being healed, period. Being treated like an EXP bucket was one reason, but mostly I just hated waiting. I eventually got sick of carrying around 20 lbs of herbs, and befriended a very few empaths that I usually go to now when I need healing.

Also having Tijay limb disrupt me to watch me munch on herbs was a little disconcerting.

Straight-up
12-23-2003, 03:16 PM
Set your demeanor and forget it if you dislike vultures.

Straight

Chadj
12-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Most people have such long answers.. heres my view on the whole thing

Vultures R teh Suk

Parkbandit
12-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Straight-up
Set your demeanor and forget it if you dislike vultures.

Straight

Exactly... with GS4, you can demeanor cold specific professions or races. It's wonderful... especially if one of your characters believes that elves shouldn't be trusted.

Wezas
12-23-2003, 03:53 PM
The only time I heal without asking is close friends (empaths or not) or if I'm in a hunting group (and the only empath). If I'm sitting around and I see someone bandage up their arm or eating herbs, I usually whisper and ask if they need healing. Sometimes I'll say it outloud, depending on if I know the person at all.

Ambush healing is not quite vulturing, but it still doesn't make it right. There is a demeanor-ish thing about not accepting coins, couldn't they make one to not accept healing? (but still have a friendly-ish demeanor in other ways)

Miss X
12-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Thats a good idea Wezas. I have a couple of charecters that wouldnt want to put anyone on a cold demeanor, but would like to stop anyone ambush healing them in Landing.

I guess the annoying thing would be people may forget they had it flagged and when an empath goes to heal them they get 'elfdude is not accepting healing'. Chica would be offended by that, same as when someone asks for healing and I get the 'so and so doesnt look like he wants to be healed'. I usually frown at them and go onto the next patient, from a RP point of view its annoying that someone asks for healing, then doesnt look like they want to be healed. Its one of the petty thigns that irritates me. hehe, maybe I'm being picky.
Vx

Rastaman
12-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Who complains about being healed. Yeah I sure hate random acts of kindness. Were you planning on keeping the wounds for something?

Solkern
12-23-2003, 08:20 PM
I've been to a point where telly ou the truth, I'd want an empath to just heal me if they see i get hit, first of all, they see you get hit, and they go, Excuse me would youp like some healing? while they type that I get stunned, So i Don't responed, and I started getting whacked over and over again, I've died countless times, bcause an empath stopped and asked me if they could heal me, If I'm injured I'd wante dto get healed as fast as possible, if you broke your leg RIGHT NOW, would you get pissed if someone random walked by and started helping you? no you wouldnt, and it shoupndnt be that way in GS, Just like if your fighting a monster, and you get stunned and another fighter walks by, they ARENT allowed to help you????? what's the diffrence between that and an empath coming by and healing you? I really don't see one.

Brat8525
12-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Well IMHO the "vultures" tend to be those who gang rape anyone who comes in asking for healing. Blood blood blah blah blah.

Those healers in the field, as much as you may RP not wanting to be touched, RP as good folks out helping others stay healthy while hunting.

RP I say, becuase why wouldn't they choose the easy path and attach thier asses to TSC? or the Dais? It's not easy or the smart way to advance, going out into the hunting area to "vulture"

Sheesh, why come here and name call this situation.

Solkern
12-23-2003, 08:27 PM
It's like ALOT of people hunt here, SO I'm going to wonder around and HEAL everyone!

Miss X
12-23-2003, 08:33 PM
I see your point Solkern, and if my empath see's someone stunned then I will unstun and take blood straight away. (bare in mind empaths dont get exp from taking blood when the patient has unhealed major wounds.)
My empath gets nothing for herself by doing it, she does it because its whats she's like. Once I've unstunned and taken blood (maybe sancted the room too) I will then ask if its ok to take the rest of the wounds, or if the patient would prefer to be fogged back into town. Thats the way I like to heal.

Anebriated
12-23-2003, 08:55 PM
I had a dhe'nar in Vaalor that was the same way cat. A human empath just started healing me without me asking. So i stunned him and then asked the dhe'nar empath for healing. Was amusing to see the look on the humans face when i did that.

The Cat In The Hat
12-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Well, the point is my character is Dhe'nar, so I'm trying to RP her to be a strict Dhe'nar, meaning nobody heals or raises her that isnt Dhe'nar.

Cat

DeV
12-24-2003, 12:40 PM
I agree with whoever said.. adjust your demeanor. Especially if your RP'ing a Dhe'nar, set it to cold. No problems.

[Edited on 12-24-2003 by DarkelfVold]

The Cat In The Hat
12-24-2003, 12:50 PM
I did. Ive never played a character that would 1) need medical attention or 2) not want to be touched, so demeanor's a pretty new concept to me and I didnt even think to set it.

Cat

GuildRat
12-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but herbs still cost silvers or time, correct? So, if you're in the field and an empath happens by, and takes the time to appraise and heal you, has not that empath saved you time and silvers?

Seriously, I doubt empaths float around hunting grounds just waiting for people to get hurt so they can learn from them.

The Cat In The Hat
12-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Thats not the point Guildrat, the point is my character does not want their help. NOBODY touches her that is not Dhe'nar and she would decay rather than let an Aelotoi raise her.

Im sorry but if I'm injured, I will handle it the way *I* want, not the way an empath wants.

Cat

*Edited does to wants because it just didnt make sense to me the other way!

[Edited on 12-24-2003 by The Cat In The Hat]

DeV
12-24-2003, 02:28 PM
she has a point.. thats how Dhe'nar SHOULD behave anyway. its the right way.

The Cat In The Hat
12-24-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by DarkelfVold
she has a point.. thats how Dhe'nar SHOULD behave anyway. its the right way.

Yay! thats a total compliment considering I've never ever tried to play someone as complex as a Dhe'nar.

She needs a Mis'ra though, if there's any interest, shes in vaalor! (Did I get that right? See! She needs a teacher!)

Cat