PDA

View Full Version : What's changed in the last 3 years?

AnticorRifling
04-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Ok I left GS in 05, fast forward it's 08 and I play WoW. For some reason I keep getting the itch to kick up GS again (probably not as much play time as what I did from 00-05) and I was wondering what has changed?

Hit the high and low points for me, doesn't have to be uber intensive, just looking for some idea of how lost I will be.

Sunfist, adventure guild, etc. what are they?
Mechanics what's out what's in?
Hunting grounds/areas what's new?
Etc. etc.

CrystalTears
04-24-2008, 09:38 AM
As someone who quit around the time that you did and returned late last year, the additions are quite nice.

I can't speak for Sunfist as I haven't gotten into it far enough to have a fair opinion, but I think the Adventurer's Guild is the best addition I've seen. You get sent out for missions all within your hunting levels, and get back additional experience, silver and bounty points which can be used towards purchasing extras such as black crystals, temporary padding, gold rings and whatnot. It really adds a nice boost to gaining more experience in addition to hunting, which you're going to do anyway. I love it.

I have two of my girls in Ta'Illistim/Ta'Vaalor now as there is a hunting area for nearly every level. It's a nice change from having to be around the landing and surrounding areas.

AnticorRifling
04-24-2008, 09:56 AM
So they got daily quests now :)

Yeah I was an Illistim rat, hunting the keen and moving to the tower. I need to check out the rift though I've yet to get to that place.

Blud
04-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I love the adventurer's guild addition. When I played several years ago (GSIII), it seemed like it was harder for me move through levels since the only way to gain experience was through hunting.

I don't remember there being war camps back then, but there are now which gets you lots of fame and experience too. I also agree with CT that Vaalor and Illistam are nice with a lot of hunting areas for almost every level. I am much happier playing now than I was back then.

CrystalTears
04-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah warcamps were implemented with Sunfist. I haven't tried taking one down yet but I'm looking forward to that massacre. :D

Blud
04-24-2008, 10:20 AM
What I like most about the AG is that you can go out and fry, then turn in your bounty, and your mind is saturated. If you have received the gift (a clear understanding of recent events, yada, yada), then you can get like 5000 to 6000 experience while resting. I can't say enough about the AG.

It also seems like the clear understanding of recent events happens more often. What is it, like once a week now?

I don't know. All I know is I titled in less than eight weeks this time. I work during the day and go to school at night and am married, so I don't get to spend a great deal of time playing. When it was GSIII, I worked during the day, but wasn't in school at night, and wasn't married, so I played all the time, and I did not title after playing for more than 6 months.

CrystalTears
04-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes the Gift of Lumnis resets once a week. I got my bard to level 8 in a couple of weeks, and I'm guessing I play even less than you do. :)

Blud
04-24-2008, 10:29 AM
I started a rogue two weeks ago, and he just made it to level 10 last night.

I played with him even less than I can play with my sorcerer. I really think I only invested less than 20 hours of real time to get him to that point. :)

fallenSaint
04-24-2008, 10:42 AM
So they got daily quests now :)

Yeah I was an Illistim rat, hunting the keen and moving to the tower. I need to check out the rift though I've yet to get to that place.

It helps break up the dull repeats of the basic grind. You can get missions to grab x number of x gem, cull whatever of x creature, aim for a boss mob etc etc. Its really good for bumping more xp in the ol head so you can sit in town and chit chat if thats your sorta thing.

Some Rogue
04-24-2008, 10:59 AM
FFS, first a Dar and now an Anticor?

/facepalm

Skeeter
04-24-2008, 11:10 AM
I tried coming back. Realized that even with the changes the game was still boring as hell and 90% of the people were annoying.

I have never regretted quitting and selling out.

Gan
04-24-2008, 11:27 AM
I would say the highlights of good changes are:

1. Adv. guild (experience as well as stat/skill enhancers)
2. Sunfist (new society to explore)
3. Accellerated learning (xxx) that resets weekly
4. Lots of spell/mechanic changes happening in each class
5. Alchemy (correlating to each of the pure profession guilds)
6. Locker expansions (and inclusion into 4 winds)
7. New verb enhancements
8. Lots of new hunting areas and a major revisions to existing hunting area levels

thats what I can think of at the moment

Askip
04-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Welcome back Anticor!

The minotaurs et.al. and their area in the Landing got revamped, they are level 70s critters now. That might be right up your alley.

Askip

:D

Sylvan Dreams
04-25-2008, 08:31 PM
If you like the adventurer's guild, you'll probably like Sunfist. Same concept to Sunfist except all the tasks are Grimswarm related.

Makkah
04-25-2008, 08:46 PM
:) Good to see you may be back. Hit me up if you need anything at all.

Monks are the greatest additions since 1998 or so. The unarmed combat system is decent, but monks make the best use along with their spell list.

Savants in 08!

Parkbandit
04-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I tried coming back. Realized that even with the changes the game was still boring as hell and 90% of the people were annoying.

I have never regretted quitting and selling out.

Same. I left, came back when I was on assignment for 3 months and couldn't play WoW... and promptly quit again. I only regret not selling out.. which I will rectify soon enough.

Fallen
04-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I think a war wizard would do fairly well in the camps with the added weighting to his weapon. You could also cast through any non-rank three injury with Sunfist, which I imagine would be helpful for a war wizard.

I think there are a couple big system revisions soon to hit, truth be told. A lot of GMs are hush hush on their main releases as they don't want to get nailed for not delivering on a deadline, but almost all of them that are active on the boards have some big project nearly wrapped up.

Some Rogue
04-26-2008, 12:40 AM
I think there are a couple big system revisions soon to hit, truth be told. A lot of GMs are hush hush on their main releases as they don't want to get nailed for not delivering on a deadline, but almost all of them that are active on the boards have some big project nearly wrapped up.

Savants!

No wait, More tedium, Less fun!

Dwarven Empath
04-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Here's an example of a bounty you might get. This is for my ranger.

You have been tasked to hunt down and kill a particularly dangerous lesser griffin that has established a territory in Griffin's Keen near Ta'Illistim. You can get its attention by killing other creatures of the same type in its territory.

All I do is guild tasks. You get a new task after you complete your task or 15 minutes. Also, you can make the tasks harder or easier too. Or you can remove the task if you don't feel like doing it.

Here's a list of tasks.

You have succeeded at the Kill Creatures task 37 times.
You have succeeded at the Retrieve Heirloom task 51 times.
You have succeeded at the Procure Skins task 60 times.
You have succeeded at the Procure Gems task 20 times.
You have succeeded at the Protect Traveller task 28 times and failed 5 times.
You have succeeded at the Procure Herbs task 28 times.
You have succeeded at the Kill Dangerous Creature task 51 times.

Also you can change your title.

>title list bounty
You have access to the following titles from the BOUNTY group:

Adventurer *
Fortune Seeker *
Opportunist *
Expeditionary *
Campaign Leader
Epic Adventurer
Gamesman *
Bounty Hunter
Slayer
Scavenger *
Treasure Hunter
Artifact Collector
Trapper *
Fur Trader
Trophy Hunter
Rock Collector *
Prospector
Gem Trader
Travel Guide *
Conveyor
Bodyguard
Herb Gatherer *
Plant Expert
Mediciner

So instead of being a wizard, you can be a Rock Collector if you choose!

The Adv guild makes the game more fun IMO.

Medi...

Raffles
04-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Player owned shops? i don't think they were about back then?

Gan
04-26-2008, 07:47 AM
An example of turning in a gem task for bounty:

Rheteger says, "All done with that assignment? Good job, Crunthor!"
[You have earned 650 bounty points, 1000 experience points, and 1250 silver.]

Stanley Burrell
04-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Welcome back Anticor!

The minotaurs et.al. and their area in the Landing got revamped, they are level 70s critters now. That might be right up your alley.

Askip

How do I get into this area once I'm by dwellers/yetis? I'm in the room where a door should be or something. Yes, no, maybe.

Askip
04-27-2008, 08:45 AM
I have not been to the new minotaurs and there is now a puzzle and/or maze involved.

Try a forums search for minotaurs, I believe there is a thread.

Fallen
04-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Empaths now suck at healing.

Drisco
04-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Ya, as of right now if you are an empath don't come back. I'd wait to see how this plays out before you reactivate...

Stanley Burrell
04-27-2008, 10:46 AM
I have not been to the new minotaurs and there is now a puzzle and/or maze involved.

Try a forums search for minotaurs, I believe there is a thread.

How in the fuck do I climb that thing?

I have Teras climbing for The Eye too. Jesus.

Allereli
04-27-2008, 11:04 AM
How in the fuck do I climb that thing?

I have Teras climbing for The Eye too. Jesus.

i have 30 climbing ranks and can do it fine in offense. i have the pattern for the top if you need a rift.

Trouble
04-28-2008, 10:36 AM
So I just reactivated over the weekend and things seem exactly the same for my ranger (last serious play was back in June 05). It even seems like they've relaxed a little on spellburst in OTF, has anyone else noticed that?

The hardest part for me so far is trying to remember how to use the GS chat/rp system. Like how do you thank someone in GS? In WoW it was /thank <whoever> but thank <whoever> didn't work in GS so I ended up just using 'thanks.

I also had to tweak a few of my scripts to account for new language, but that wasn't too difficult.

Oh, what do I do with those crystals with funny names?

Stanley Burrell
04-28-2008, 10:39 AM
i have 30 climbing ranks and can do it fine in offense. i have the pattern for the top if you need a rift.

I'm cool, thanks though. I think I spent too much AG BP on gold rings though, d'oh.

Some Rogue
04-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Oh, what do I do with those crystals with funny names?

Those are for alchemy. Either sell them at the magic shop or just drop em on the bench.

Askip
04-28-2008, 12:34 PM
<< how do you thank someone in GS? >>

You need to SAY it.

A handy link for verbs:

http://www.sylvanfair.com/library/verb_page1.htm