PDA

View Full Version : Empaths & Societies

Czeska
12-22-2003, 02:39 PM
What do you think the best path is for casting/healing empath, and why.

Miss X
12-22-2003, 02:44 PM
Personally, I'd say CoL, you get better defense from signs and sign of staunching and healing, as well as being able to wrack if you run out of mana while hunting. You can replace health and mana at a greater cost with Voln obviously but I think CoL is better.
However, it sort of depends on your roleplay too. My cleric would be better in CoL, defense wise but because she worships Voln and a big part of her RP is releasing undead, shes a Volner.

There are plenty of voln empaths that do really well, but I know my casting/healing empath is best off in CoL.

Xcalibur
12-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Voln is WORTHLESS if you hunt now...

Holiness can be good by forcing them to be prone and then kill them, but it's too damn costy to do so

Dream is dead, so is voln in my opinion (only return is way better than col's one)

Souzy
12-22-2003, 02:49 PM
COL's better. You get healing, staunching, wracking, ect. Go with COL.

Wezas
12-22-2003, 03:02 PM
My empath (and dare I say likely most empaths who pick a society) are with COL for the reasons mentioned above. Clerics likely will still prefer Voln because of the undead connection/benefits, however empaths have no such connection. For RP reasons, pick whichever one you'd like to RP. But IMO, stat-wise, COL would be preferred. Plus it's always fun when someone looks at your fame, thinks you're young, picks a fight, then you 117, sign of swords, sign of smiting, sign of striking, sign of madness, and swing.

Or bolt, no more OHE for me =(

Czeska
12-22-2003, 03:12 PM
Cylla is 15. She's in Voln, although not too far (maybe 6 or 7 steps) because the only thing she has to hunt with is bone shatter.
It's getting frustrating.
Basic RP keeps her in Voln.. but.. I can come up with perfectly valid reasons if I want to switch. The thing is, I'm not picking for the 1st time. I'm considering switching.

Meos
12-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Voln need a serious overhaul, it's great for RP, but with the power of COL, to many players will go to one side... Maybe that's what Simu wants... I think they should come up with another society or two pretty soon, to make things interesting.

Snapp
12-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Mine is in Voln.. and it comes in handy sometimes with rescues (Return) and saving your own butt (Need, Preservation, etc..).. but the whole "you have to have favor" crap is a pain.. and COL offers too much great stuff for empaths to pass up unless for RP. So basically, ditto to what's been said already.

Nakiro
12-23-2003, 12:41 AM
COL.

The Voln thought net is reason enough alone.

Nakiro

Zephyrius
12-23-2003, 01:10 AM
I tried Voln back in 97. I couldn't stand making so much iron and killing so many undead and asking for so many blesses to find out that I needed to do more. CoL has better abilities, with regenerating requirements (mana/spirit), and much less hassle getting to master level.

Czeska
12-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Alright, Cylla is now the ONLY one of my girls not in Voln. And sorry, Nakiro, but I love the voln net. Close the window if you don't (LOL).
Thanks for all the opinions. Or should I say, the one opinion over and over and over...
Makes it easy that with GS4 we're able to reset the society once and not just resign. So in theory, if I hate CoL, I can always go back.

Killer Kitten
12-30-2003, 08:28 PM
I'm late weighing in here (as usual) but for me it's Voln all the way. Preservation, return, need and the pure raw power of turning are all marvelous. The best, though, is the Fu. Granted that brawling training is costly, but it gives that extra level of defense and still another way to attack. (I love versatility.) Also once you can hunt Bonespear or the tower in Ta'Illistim favor is no longer a problem. Both of those places are favor factories.

My younger empath is CoL and I absolutely hate it. She's the only character I play consistently that isn't a Voln master. I plan to switch her to Voln as soon as she's old enough to hunt Bonespear and master easily.

Kimm/Tilone

Rastaman
12-30-2003, 09:04 PM
Voln is good if you plan on dying a lot. Which is what will happen without the CoL signs to make your stronger.

Bottomline: Voln sucks. CoL Rocks.

Czeska
01-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Final results:
Mastered CoL in about a week and a half.
Love Sign of Healing
Love Sign of Healing
Love Sign of Healing

So far the only thing I think I will eventually wish I had from Voln is Symbol of Sight.

Miss X
01-08-2004, 01:18 PM
You can locate though, once you get 116. I prefer it to symbol of sight because you can use it on non-volners too. My cleric is a voln master and I never use symb of sight with her, always locate.
Vx

Vixen
01-08-2004, 01:34 PM
I prefer CoL myself. I had a brief stint where I got bored and decided my empath needed to join Voln. I hated every second of it. For my empath anyhow.
staunching and wracking were invaluable to me.

MaryJane
01-08-2004, 01:36 PM
I'd only join voln to keep myself, and even that.. I can't stand the idea of having to go through all that stupid undead killing.

Weedmage Princess
01-08-2004, 01:38 PM
I've had both, and I have to say COL all the way. Staunching alone is worth it, let alone the big AS/DS boosts and sign of healing. I can't see an empath not being in COL, again unless it's because of RP purposes.

Voln does need to be reworked. And I too would love it if there were more societies.

Silversi
01-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Most people I know have been saying we need more societies since I started playing this game.. too bad it probably wont happen anytime soon.

I went Voln and could never switch Silversi from it... but it is for RP purposes, I've seen the powers of CoL and sure they'd be great, but Silversi could never switch. When she was young, her mother, Warmcuddle, pratically begged her to join CoL. She just couldn't though, even though I myself struggled with it, there's just no way I could RP it with her.

Nindy
01-11-2004, 03:21 AM
Yeah, CoL is probably the more useful. Dreams used to be nice, but that's oot now. Self LK is keen, and so is need, but being all, "Ooo, yay, I'll join for dead powers!" is like accepting defeat. Of course, I'm a Voln Master for RP purposes. I had a hard time convincing others (and myself) that it was okay for a Phoen follower to be a member of a soul-sucking society.

Besides, for an empath, staunching, healing, thought, AS and DS, and TD signs = hot.