PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tactics

Saber
12-22-2003, 09:25 AM
I'm trying to get some feedback regarding a Rogue's ability to hunt effectively in GSIV. I admit I consider myself somewhat of a newbie at this, since I don't play all that often. I use a shield / ohe and rely primarily on ambushing a leg and then head from both open and/or hiding. This tactic worked well for me in GSIII, now it seems like I just keep hacking away and its taking forever to finish off a critter. I'm currently level 17, which is the highest I've ever trained, so maybe I'm just not used to critters with higher amounts of HPs. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? If so, how are you dealing with it? I hear a lot of people stunning or killing with one shot using a bow, should I switch? Would it be a wise use of tp's to train in both ohe and ranged weapons? I've been considering this lately since I'm already 3x hiding and 2x ambush. I think I would like the flexibility of having 2 weapon types to choose from, but at what cost.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

StrayRogue
12-22-2003, 09:34 AM
The problem is that they are trying to make the game more attrition combat based; the old days of one hit, one kill are seemingly over.

You didn't really specify what weapon you were using in particular, or if you were hitting your location, or just missing.

These days smaller weapons and perception are highly involved in the effective aimed ambush. Perception and ambush helps you aim significantly. As does weapon size. You'll rarely miss with a dagger to the eye.

However, you are only lvl 17. I didn't start effectively ambushing in GS3 until my 20's. At your train I was killing giants over in GS3. I couldn't tell you what to hunt these days. Maybe Arch Wights. Pick a critter with low hps and NO armor. You won't even have to ambush. Wait until you're about 20 then worry about ambush. I think you'll find it alot more effective then.

Or if not, switch to a smaller weapon.

Or tank your sweep skill. Legging becomes pointless. A sweep is also undodgable and unblockable. Another tactic if you are using a larger OHE, aim for the back. It is the easiest spot to hit and often grants a hefty stun. Attacking from the open becomes alot safer with this tactic.

Xcalibur
12-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Just use math.. A falchion has what df? .250? on brig

So in order to get a level 9 crit (before having it randomized) you need...

On brig= 7 raw damage to get one crit

9*7= 63, so you need to do 63 raw damage to get the max crit, that means a roll end of 258?

Bear in mind that the lowest death crit you can do is pincturing an eye (level 4 or 5) so that means if you can attein a level 9 crit on an eye with a pincture weapon, you get 100% of chance to kill it with the random crit (5-9)

StrayRogue
12-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Crit devisor of brig is 6, not 7.
Death Crits from Puncture to Eye is crits six - nine.
Death Crits from Slash to Eye is also crits six - nine.

To your credit you got the DF of a falchion vs scale right. Falchions don't puncture, however. Eyes are also the most difficult spot to aim for. I'd only recommend it using a dagger or short sword.

[Edited on 22-12-03 by StrayRogue]

Xcalibur
12-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Crit devisor of brig is 6? you are sure?

i always thought it was..

robe =3
leather =5
scale =7
chain =9
plate =11

and the death crit, according to bob's crit table...

echo 0 0 Attack bumps an eyebrow. Oh! So close!
echo 1 1 Minor strike under the left eye, that was close!
echo 2 10 Surgical strike removes the critter's left eye!
echo 3 17 Attack punctures the eye and connects with something really vital!
echo 4 25 Incredible shot to the eye penetrates deep into skull!
echo 5 25 Slash strikes the critter's left eye. Seems there was a brain there after all.
echo 6 30 Shot destroys eye and the brain behind it!
echo 7 30 Slash to head destroys the critter's left eye! Doesn't do its brain any good either.
echo 8 35 Strike through eye, the critter is lobotomized!
echo 9 50 Blast to the critter's head destroys left eye! Brain obliterated! Disgusting, but painful only for a second.
exit

It's level 4 crit, not 5

StrayRogue
12-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Crit Devisors -
Robes: 3
Leather: 5
Scale: 6
Chain: 9
Plate: 12
(My notes show a conflict of numbers, however)

Crits 4 and 5 don't always mean instant death.

StrayRogue
12-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Alright I've extrapolated the crit devisors. This is for players by the way.

Skin/Clothes - 3
Leather - 5
Scale - Between 6 and 7
Chain - Between 9 and 10
Plate - Between 11 and 12

The numbers are fractions mind you so we are both pretty much right, we just rounded up and down to different numbers.

However, this is only applying to PLAYERS. Critters never have crit devisors below 5.

Parkbandit
12-22-2003, 10:34 AM
I had my rogue switch from OHE to archery because of that. Ambush has essentially been neutered.. so there is minimal benefit from it compared to GS3.

Now, being an archer.. my rogue can shoot away from hiding pretty much 95% of the time. Who needs a shield when your quarry can't find you to attack you?

One handed weapons are much weaker without the benefits of the ambush crits. It's hack and slash all day now.

StrayRogue
12-22-2003, 10:37 AM
I think you should go back and try it again, Bandit. The recent tweak has done alot, atleast on my end. My initial problem was hitting what I aimed for. Now, even with 1x perc and 1x ambush and a claidh, I'd say I hit 75% of the time what I aim for. However, I do attribute the death crits I am constantly scoring to the massive damage two-handers are doing. Still, OHE will always be the stable combat form that GS is based around. I await the upcoming neutering of Archery which WILL happen as soon as the GMs realize everyone is becoming Robin Hood clones.

AnticorRifling
12-22-2003, 10:44 AM
My rogue uses a morning star, I sweep and aim for the neck. Haven't had any problems so far but he's lvl 27 and a sweep master.

Edaarin
12-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Ambush is infinitely better at higher levels. No more waiting for something to cast at you then swing. I get enough of a drop down that I can hunt in stance advance. Unfortunately, I'm stuck as an archer for now, heh. Not a bad path, but gets boring fast.

Parkbandit
12-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Boring?? Are you kidding me?

It opens up so many options..

Wanna really get a great hit in? Kneel and use a heavy crossbow.

Wanna get off some rapid fire shots from hiding? Use a short/long bow.

You still bypass the parry defense and the sight of a crossbow bolt headed at a beast from nowhere is sweet.

And unless they changed OHE in the past 2 weeks.. you can keep it. I felt like a dumb idiot swinging at a beast for hours until it died. I wouldn't go back to OHE unless I had a really good crit weighted weapon.

Anyone wanna buy a fantastic 10x altered moon axe? It's in the shape of a cleaver now. Has a couple nice zests and Falgrin used it. Should be worth at LEAST 100 million I would think.

[Edited on 12-22-2003 by Parkbandit]

AnticorRifling
12-22-2003, 03:38 PM
I trade ya my 8x 99/235 eahnor falchion for it :cool:

Parkbandit
12-22-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
I trade ya my 8x 99/235 eahnor falchion for it :cool:

Hmm.. let me think about it.
No.

AnticorRifling
12-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Christmas is coming up so if you wrap it up and give it to me I will act suprised.

Parkbandit
12-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Christmas is coming up so if you wrap it up and give it to me I will act suprised.

I already got you your gift.. the gift of being able to disown your real father Haashek and the priveledge of calling Falgrin your Daddy.

That's the gift that keeps on giving all year long... especially since you are one of the very few that Falgrin thinks would be in bad form to steal from. Think of it as a long term savings account.

AnticorRifling
12-22-2003, 04:05 PM
I never carry gems or coins. You keep the practice of not stealing from me because of mechanics not kindess. Besides as one of the few that rates to be called your son I should be showered with gifts. I am carrying on the legacy after all. That and I kick ass.

Parkbandit
12-22-2003, 04:23 PM
I never carry gems or coins. You keep the practice of not stealing from me because of mechanics not kindess. Besides as one of the few that rates to be called your son I should be showered with gifts. I am carrying on the legacy after all. That and I kick ass.

Son.. lesson number one.. never say never. There is always a point in time where everyone carries something that I can steal.

And lesson number two... I think I will get you a gift.. maybe a giant portrait of Falgrin so you can show everyone who your daddy is.

I am far too kind to you.