PDA

View Full Version : Medicine Recall

Bewitchindryad25
12-21-2003, 08:26 PM
A friend of mine works for some food and drug place. She sent me this in email. I thought it'd be good to post because I know some of us have little kids. But it has alot of normal everyday stuff adults take also.

Products with PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE are being recalled. You may want to try calling the 800 number listed on most drug boxes and inquire about a REFUND.

Please read this CAREFULLY. Also, please pass this on to everyone you know.

STOP TAKING anything containing this ingredient. It has been linked to increased hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in brain) among women ages 18-49 in the three days after starting use of medication. Problems were not found in men, but the FDA recommended that everyone (even children) seek alternative medicine.
The following medications contain Phenylpropanolamine:

Acutrim Diet Gum Appetite Suppressant
Acutrim Plus Dietary Supplements
Acutrim Maximum Strength Appetite Control
Alka-Seltzer Plus Children's Cold Medicine Effervescent
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold medicine (cherry or orange)
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine Original
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine Effervescent
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Flu Medicine
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Sinus Effervescent
Alka Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold Medicine
BC Allergy Sinus Cold Powder
BC Sinus Cold Powder
Comtrex Flu Therapy & Fever Relief Day & Night
Contac 12-Hour Cold Capsules
Contac 12-Hour Caplets
Coricidin D Cold, Flu & Sinus
Dexatrim Caffeine Free
Dexatrim Extended Duration
Dexatrim Gelcaps
Dexatrim Vitamin C/Caffeine Free
Dimetapp Cold & Allergy Chewable Tablets
Dimetapp Cold & Cough Liqui-Gels
Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir
Dimetapp Elixir
Dimetapp 4 Hour Liquid Gels
Dimetapp 4 Hour Tablets
Dimetapp 12 Hour Extentabs Tablets
Naldecon DX Pediatric Drops
Permathene Mega-16
Robitussin CF
Tavist-D 12 Hour Relief of Sinus & Nasal Congestion
Triaminic DM Cough Relief
Triaminic Expectorant Chest & Head
Triaminic Syrup Cold & Allergy Triaminic Triaminicol Cold & Cough ....

I just found out and called the 800# on the container for Triaminic and they informed me that they are voluntarily recalling the following medicines because of a certain ingredient that is causing strokes and seizures in children:
Orange 3D Cold & Allergy Cherry (Pink)

3D Cold &Cough Berry
3D Cough Relief Yellow 3D Expectorant

They are asking you to call them at 800-548-3708 with the lot number on the box so they can send you postage for you to send it back to them, and they will also issue you a refund.

To confirm these findings please take time to check the following:
URL: Phenylpropanolamine Information Page

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/ppa/default.htm

12-21-2003, 08:29 PM
If your a dude don't worry about it. It has no effects on men. but yea..call the number.

Overlord
12-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Wonder how the geniuses missed that one... Kind of a serious side effect. Just goes to show much work they put into producing medication tsk tsk Killing americans whoot

Weedmage Princess
12-21-2003, 08:34 PM
BAH I TOOK ROBOTUSSIN

Sean
12-21-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
BAH I TOOK ROBOTUSSIN

your outside of the age range anyway granny.

Weedmage Princess
12-21-2003, 08:39 PM
I'm 28!! I am not a granny!! I hate you, Tijay!!

Overlord
12-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Bleeding Brains. I'm still wondering how they didn't catch this. I mean there have been medicines containing Phenylpropanolamine for quite some time, has this just been because of multiple instances across the country/world or what. More details!!

Ravenstorm
12-21-2003, 08:58 PM
This is actually old news. PPA was in the news a while back. I got rid of my Contac ages ago. And besides...

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoax5.asp?HName=Drug+Recall+Hoax

However...

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/ppa/default.htm

To be safe, I wouldn't use anything with PPA anyway. Anyone. As stated, it does affect men too.

Raven

Snapp
12-21-2003, 09:15 PM
PPA was recalled years ago if I remember right (working in a drug store and all).

Edit: Um yea, what Raven said.

[Edited on 12-22-2003 by Snapp]

Soulpieced
12-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Damn, just stick to NyQuil and you're set.

Bestatte
12-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Yeah I checked the link from that original post, and all the references were three years old. Even so, like Ravenstorm says - better safe than sorry. And I'm glad my favorite poison is Nyquil. No PPA there!

Ravenstorm
12-21-2003, 09:43 PM
In any case, no medicine made in the last year or two should contain PPA. It never hurts to check ingredients however before you buy it. And clear out your medicine shelves of older stuff which has most likely expired anyway.

Raven

Bewitchindryad25
12-22-2003, 06:16 AM
I wasn't sure how recent it was just that it was sent to me like two days ago. Being a mother of a 3 and a half year old. You could imagine the panic I went into. Just thought I'd give everyone a head up though. My heart meant well.

AnticorRifling
12-22-2003, 06:57 AM
So things like Comtrex which have been around for years and years are just now showing this affect?

Did they also do a test on the folks that suffered the brain bleeds and find a different link related. There must be some other trigger or catalyst. I won't be going into a panic or tizzy just yet.

This reminds me of the whole eggs are bad, no their good, now their bad, wait wait now their good. Give it a month and that ingredient will be linked to reduced breast cancer or some such.

Weedmage Princess
12-22-2003, 07:19 AM
That's true.

What's scary is, it's like that with a lot of things..medicines, foods, etc. Things that were thought to be bad for you as recent as five years ago..."new studies show they can reduce your risk of <insert horrid disease/affliction here>." I know once upon a time, aspirin was something that wasn't supposed to be good for you. Now they say it reduces the chance of heart attacks..and hell they tell you to take an aspirin WHILE having a heart attack if you can, after calling 911. The thing is a lot of these effects be it positive or negative can't be seen until long after initial testing for whatever reason. I guess that's why now it's such a long process for the FDA to approve anything. It's scary though. There's so much going around, you NEED to take something...but now you gotta worry about whether it's going to do more harm than good.

Skirmisher
12-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Bewitchindryad25
I wasn't sure how recent it was just that it was sent to me like two days ago. Being a mother of a 3 and a half year old. You could imagine the panic I went into. Just thought I'd give everyone a head up though. My heart meant well.

Goodness of course you did.

Thanks for taking the time to say so. As you can see not everyone here really was aware of it so its a good thing and made them aware.:thumbsup:

Wezas
12-22-2003, 08:50 AM
Woo Hoo, another good reason for being a guy.

Caiylania
12-22-2003, 09:17 AM
Thanks Dryad :) I knew about it but I still check any meds that come into this house.

Czeska
12-22-2003, 10:03 AM
This recall was actually awhile ago. Like over a year. Most drugs have been re-released without it in there. I know because my daughter was an infant and it was in a lot of kids' stuff.

Moist Happenings
12-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
BAH I TOOK ROBOTUSSIN

Oh god I took Robotussin once too. My arm turned mechanical for like 3 days, it was horrible.