PDA

View Full Version : Shingles

BigWorm
04-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Starting on Sunday afternoon, I had a pain in my left side that felt like a runner's stitch. Since I'm a badass, I just deal with it, but the pain continued on Monday and Tuesday and really hit me bad Tuesday night. I got very little sleep as I was in constant pain on my side and could not get myself into a position that was painless to a degree that allowed to be comfortable enough to fall asleep. Wednesday afternoon, I noticed a rash on my skin on the same area where I had been feeling the pain and decided I had to break down and seek medical attention, especially after the painful attempt at sleep I had Wednesday night.

Today, Thursday, I was in too much pain to do much of anything at work, but I spent most of the morning trying in vain to get an appointment at a doctor's office which was difficult as I needed to find a new doctor since I just recently began my new health insurance plan. In the late afternoon, I decide to leave work early to go to the urgent care center where I was told I have shingles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_zoster).

IT FUCKING SUCKS! :(

It feels like someone has been beating on my ribs. The pain varies from a dull aching like sore muscles to a sharp pain like I'm being stabbed. I've been prescribed some vicodin which are helping a good amount, but I am still having infrequent flare ups. I can deal with this, but everything I've seen says that the pain is going to get worse, to which I am NOT looking forward.

This is also one of those moments when I'm really glad that I have insurance. It only cost me $50 to go to the urgent care center, which was actually a really good experience because I had to wait for only about 10 minutes and then they got me right in and out. Also, in addition to the vicodin, I was prescribed Valtrex as an anti-viral which would have cost me nearly $300, but only set me back $25 with my insurance. Yes, that Valtrex. The virus that causes shingles is the same one that causes chickenpox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenpox), herpes zoster.

diethx
04-17-2008, 11:06 PM
You mean there was someone who didn't know that shingles was a form of herpes?

Gan
04-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Was diagnosed with shingles 4 months ago after pretty much the exact same symptoms. Pain receeded within a week with the help of the valtrex and vicodin. Took about 2 months for the rash to disapate. The only symptom I had that you didnt describe was a spiking pain that travelled in waves up to my ear. Gotta love things that travel along nerve paths.

I'm just thankful that it was only on my side and not elsewhere.

They say stress is one of the largest contributors of the onset of shingles. I can understand why... now.

BigWorm
04-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Was diagnosed with shingles 4 months ago after pretty much the exact same symptoms. Pain receeded within a week with the help of the valtrex and vicodin. Took about 2 months for the rash to disapate. The only symptom I had that you didnt describe was a spiking pain that travelled in waves up to my ear. Gotta love things that travel along nerve paths.

I'm just thankful that it was only on my side and not elsewhere.

They say stress is one of the largest contributors of the onset of shingles. I can understand why... now.

Yeah, I'm sure being the final month of my degree program and trying to pass the final class I need for my degree by the skin of my teeth doesn't help the situation. I've been told to get plenty of rest, but that isn't really an option for the next month or so.

BigWorm
04-17-2008, 11:19 PM

I knew that already, but I wouldn't expect everyone to know so.

Kitsun

I didn't fucking know! That shit is scary. I'm allergic to pain!

upperguy
Pain receeded within a week with the help of the valtrex and vicodin. .

Lots of pain recedes with Vicodin....mmmm Vicodin

BigWorm
04-17-2008, 11:24 PM

And there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

It's most common in elderly people and those who only had minor exposure to chickenpox. There is also a suspected genetic link, which I buy because my sister also had shingles at around age 10, and shingles is rarely seen in children.

diethx
04-17-2008, 11:25 PM

Yeah, but you're so naive that you don't count. I wouldn't expect you to know about big boy stuff like that.

Blud
04-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Sucks to be you. I know. I had them about 10 years ago.

diethx
04-17-2008, 11:27 PM
And there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

It's most common in elderly people and those who only had minor exposure to chickenpox. There is also a suspected genetic link, which I buy because my sister also had shingles at around age 10, and shingles is rarely seen in children.

I'm pretty sure it's more than suspected. This chick in my anatomy lab was talking about having it and my professor who is a doc (retired MD, not PhD) mentioned that it was passed down in families and that stress brings it out most often.

edit: Oh and apparently it hides in your nervous system or some shit, IIRC.

BigWorm
04-17-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it's more than suspected. This chick in my anatomy lab was talking about having it and my professor who is a doc (retired MD, not PhD) mentioned that it was passed down in families and that stress brings it out most often.

edit: Oh and apparently it hides in your nervous system or some shit, IIRC.

Yeah, the pain is caused by the dormant virus reactivating in one of the dorsal roots, which are nerves that originate perpendicularly from the spine and connect your nervous system to that section of your torso. This makes it easy to diagnose, but awfully painful.

diethx
04-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, the pain is caused by the dormant virus reactivating in one of the dorsal roots, which are nerves that originate perpendicularly from the spine and connect your nervous system to that section of your torso. This makes it easy to diagnose, but awfully painful.

I know what dorsal roots are... anatomy lab, remember? Hehe. BTW, they're called roots in the vertebrae, and nerves outside the vertebrae, so technically the roots themselves don't connect directly to anything in the torso except the spinal cord.

BigWorm
04-18-2008, 12:04 AM
I know what dorsal roots are... anatomy lab, remember? Hehe. BTW, they're called roots in the vertebrae, and nerves outside the vertebrae, so technically the roots themselves don't connect directly to anything in the torso except the spinal cord.

Sounds good. In my quest to become the next great polymath, I haven't quite mastered human anatomy, but its on my list ;).

diethx
04-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Sounds good. In my quest to become the next great polymath, I haven't quite mastered human anatomy, but its on my list ;).

In all honesty, it was the hardest class i've ever taken (the lab especially), but also the most interesting. I absolutely loved it. I'd recommend it to everyone no matter their chosen profession.

Celephais
04-18-2008, 12:52 AM
(having not read any of the thread)
Limes prevent shingles.... Man law.

Brattt8525
04-18-2008, 07:49 AM
I just dealt with this myself almost 3 months ago, the pain is horrible to say the least. I do not do well with vicodin so I had to rely on aleve which didn't really help much with the pain.

If you didn't know, once you are cleared up you can get a shot that will prevent you from getting it again. You have to have had shingles to be able to get the shot though. Which reminds me I need to make an appointment with my Dr to get it.

Eoghain
04-18-2008, 02:54 PM
I had shingles when I was 19, during my freshman year at BU. I had no idea what it was at first. There were just bumps on my ribcage that went in funny little lines. By the time we figured it out, it was already over, and didn't hurt at all, ever. :D

My shingles > your shingles.

Gan
04-18-2008, 03:10 PM
They say the pain is in direct relation to age.

The younger you are, the less you go through.

Some Rogue
04-18-2008, 03:24 PM

In all honesty, it was the hardest class i've ever taken (the lab especially), but also the most interesting. I absolutely loved it. I'd recommend it to everyone no matter their chosen profession.

I've mastered the female anatomy, that's all I really need to know.

The labs were the best part.:tumble:

Skeeter
04-18-2008, 03:24 PM
I didn't know shingles were teh herp. Why would I know shit about shingles?

Stanley Burrell
04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Dude.

People are getting shingles under the age of 120? What did you guys have measles? It's supposed to be cystic until your thymus is withered beyond all comprehension. Who gets shingles that early?

Gan
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Dude.

People are getting shingles under the age of 120? What did you guys have measles? It's supposed to be cystic until your thymus is withered beyond all comprehension. Who gets shingles that early?

Perhaps a little research is needed on your part in order to update your understanding of who, when, and how it affects people.

Of course, what would you know about stress, you always sought escape from life in chemical substances - so (other than withdrawal) its probably an infrequent customer for you.