PDA

View Full Version : Plate Wearing Empath

Agamemnon
04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
In theory would there be a way for an empath to get into plate and not have to worry too much about casting failures. Assume all items are up for grabs and the empath has access to all player accessible spells for her profession.

What kind of race/item/spell combination can this be achieved by? If it is achievable at all?

StrayRogue
04-14-2008, 06:08 PM
No.

Unless you could cast the paladin spell that reduces hindrance at you. Even with 152 ranks (+50 from enhansives) you'd still have 96% spell failure.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
04-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Even with Faith's Clarity, you'd still be lucky to cast successfully. Much easier to just be a paladin with some sort of knowledge-imparting item of the spell you're trying to abuse, should it exist.

Drew2
04-14-2008, 06:17 PM
You'd be able to heal fine in plate, since CURE bypasses hinderance. But you wouldn't be able to cast anything else.

Agamemnon
04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
You'd be able to heal fine in plate, since CURE bypasses hinderance. But you wouldn't be able to cast anything else.

Quite interesting... did not know this. Hm, what about magic items? Like a twisted wand (mana disrupt) will bypass the armor hiderance I believe, unless it was changed. Maybe a scroll of limb disruption or some spell that uses primarily the empath circle? Any ideas?

Fallen
04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
You could use wands, but not scrolls. You would be suffering from a massive, massive maneuver penalty that would get you killed later in your hunting. I would suggest going up to whatever you can train off the maneuver hindrance with 111 ranks (From the AdvG guild) and stick with that.

Dwarven Empath
04-14-2008, 07:48 PM
With 101 ranks in armor you can only wear MBP.

Your cast's will fail 25% of the time.

Unless you can find some really light Plate.

Then your cast's will fail 45% of the time.

If you want to be a badass puff, get berk. Get it lightend alot.

And your cast's will only fail 15% of the time.

StrayRogue
04-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Since when did weight have anything to do with casting failure?

StrayRogue
04-14-2008, 08:46 PM
With 101 ranks in armor you can only wear MBP.

Your cast's will fail 25% of the time.

Unless you can find some really light Plate.

Then your cast's will fail 45% of the time.

If you want to be a badass puff, get berk. Get it lightend alot.

And your cast's will only fail 15% of the time.

And with 101 ranks in armour, your casts will fail 90% of the time, in MBP.

In hauberk, major and empath will have a failure of 60%, whilst minor spirit will be 16%.

Chain mail, which has been done before, by the original Nakiro, has a minimum failure rate of 7% for minor spirit, and 8% for empath and major spirit.

Agamemnon
04-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Casting failure is pointless since I can load up on a bunch of wands/rods that focuses on empath/spirit circles. What matters most for this to work is the cman hinderance...since I don't want every cman to hit me.

StrayRogue
04-14-2008, 09:49 PM
You can inbed boneshatter?

Nilandia
04-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Alchemy allows empaths to make wands with boneshatter.

Gretchen

Agamemnon
04-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah that. But again back to the cman hinderance. Can an empath walk around in hauberk with minimal cman hinderance? Anyone got a chart?

Agamemnon
04-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Ok I found it. I can wear Aug Breastplate without CMAN impunity at 101 ranks of armor. Aug Breast takes 100. I can even see myself wearing halfplate which is 120. But what I need is the plate's divisor for cman crits. Cman crits only kill on the body and neck and head. Thus if I wear a Aug breast or just breastplate with a gorget...what kind of armor training would I need to train off the cman hinderance?

Gnomad
04-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Ok I found it. I can wear Aug Breastplate without CMAN impunity at 101 ranks of armor. Aug Breast takes 100. I can even see myself wearing halfplate which is 120. But what I need is the plate's divisor for cman crits. Cman crits only kill on the body and neck and head. Thus if I wear a Aug breast or just breastplate with a gorget...what kind of armor training would I need to train off the cman hinderance?140 ranks for full plate

mbp + helm = full plate

Khariz
04-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Casting failure is pointless since I can load up on a bunch of wands/rods that focuses on empath/spirit circles. What matters most for this to work is the cman hinderance...since I don't want every cman to hit me.

You can never train it off.

Edit: wow timewarp. I was responding to full plate vis a vis empaths.

Agamemnon
04-15-2008, 01:10 PM
140 ranks for full plate

mbp + helm = full plate

Thats idiotic in my view... how does breastplate plus helm = full plate when both your arms/legs and hands are exposed?

StrayRogue
04-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Breatplate covers your arms.

Sylvan Dreams
04-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Breatplate covers your arms.

Metal breastplate does not cover your arms, it is torso only. Augmented breastplate covers your arms and torso.

Sylvan Dreams
04-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Ok I found it. I can wear Aug Breastplate without CMAN impunity at 101 ranks of armor. Aug Breast takes 100. I can even see myself wearing halfplate which is 120. But what I need is the plate's divisor for cman crits. Cman crits only kill on the body and neck and head. Thus if I wear a Aug breast or just breastplate with a gorget...what kind of armor training would I need to train off the cman hinderance?

Unless I am mistaken, as an empath, you can only ever attain 101 ranks of Armor Use training without the use of enhancives.

Agamemnon
04-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah, you can get 101 ranks at cap training 1x armor. With enhancives you can get a bit more. Still kinda pissed about the whole helm+BREASTplate = Full plate nonesense. Anyone double check this?

Fallen
04-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I would just go metal Breastplate, then. Spellup in sanctuaries, and hunt via wands and rods. Pretty cool idea. If you can make friends with a ranger, you can get a ton of rods, and imbed Fire Spirit. With enough Summoning lore you would do just fine. I hunted like that for quite a while.

The only problem is if you do too well, you're going to get nerfed. Simu has shown on MANY occasions they do NOT want pures in heavy armor.

Fallen
04-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah, you can get 101 ranks at cap training 1x armor. With enhancives you can get a bit more. Still kinda pissed about the whole helm+BREASTplate = Full plate nonesense. Anyone double check this?

No need to double check. Any time you cover your head, even if the armor only covers your torso, you automatically bump yourself up to the highest ASG in terms of hindrance and training.

The Ponzzz
04-15-2008, 01:52 PM

This is 100% the case. It's how the system works. Because AsG goes up as it covers more. Head/neck is the last part to cover and automatically defaults to the most AsG of that armor class.

Agamemnon
04-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I would rather use Bone Shatter seing how thats far superior to fire spirit. And it's empath coolness. But yeah if I start hunting too well like that I'll probably get the nerf stick... which kinda sucks imo. Wish this game was more like DragonRealms where you are more flexible with what you can and cannot do.

Fallen
04-15-2008, 03:55 PM
I would rather use Bone Shatter seing how thats far superior to fire spirit. And it's empath coolness. But yeah if I start hunting too well like that I'll probably get the nerf stick... which kinda sucks imo. Wish this game was more like DragonRealms where you are more flexible with what you can and cannot do.

You would have an army of squares and semi's out for your blood when they release hindrance for magic items. It would be beautifully horrific to see.

StrayRogue
04-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Well considering he has to be at level 100 to work this fiendish scheme...

If he choose to wear even full plate without the training, he will suffer for it.

Fallen
04-15-2008, 04:08 PM
I believe his plan is to completely negate the maneuver penalties (which is possible for a pure), and not bother casting outside of a sanctuary AT ALL. Just use alchemy to make magic items which have his spells, which of course get the full lore benefits. From what was posted here, he could be in plate armor (though not full plate), and not suffer any more armor penalties than a warrior.

StrayRogue
04-15-2008, 04:10 PM
At level 100.

Agamemnon
04-15-2008, 05:35 PM
But the biggest perk is the ability to self heal, especially since bone shatter wands won't cost me mana.

Fallen
04-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Are you planning on rolling up said Empath, do you already have one, or will you buy a capped empath?

Agamemnon
04-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I can easily just buy a capped empath, which I'm seriously considering doing since I really can't find any flaws to this idea. I'll need to master alchemy and get myself that 6x exceptionally crit padded MBP whereever it is. But yeah I see this owning hardcore, plate divisor for CMAN attacks plus the padding...oh yeah I get wounded I insta heal right there on the spot then I continue machine gunning critters down with my bone shatter wand.

Damn, whats the going rate on capped paths these days?

StrayRogue
04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Gotta love people with no actual skill to level themselves anymore.

Fallen
04-15-2008, 06:58 PM
I can easily just buy a capped empath, which I'm seriously considering doing since I really can't find any flaws to this idea. I'll need to master alchemy and get myself that 6x exceptionally crit padded MBP whereever it is. But yeah I see this owning hardcore, plate divisor for CMAN attacks plus the padding...oh yeah I get wounded I insta heal right there on the spot then I continue machine gunning critters down with my bone shatter wand.

Damn, whats the going rate on capped paths these days?

A decent amount. You would be better off going for a level 80 empath, getting a +10 to Armor use through your badge and wearing the armor you had planned to buy. That way you can save yourself some money and work your way up towards the cap by hunting and alchemy.

Dwarven Empath
04-15-2008, 07:21 PM

That is soooooooooooooo true.

SpiffyJr
04-15-2008, 07:29 PM

Because Gemstone takes far more skill than free time to level... oh wait.

Agamemnon
04-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Empaths are easy to level, but this is really to test out the waters then start a whole new character to make it my main or something.

Gnomad
04-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Empaths are easy to level, but this is really to test out the waters then start a whole new character to make it my main or something.you're going to spend around a grand to "test the waters"?

i was trying to think of something more stupid than a build that's not effective before say level 90 but now you've saved me the effort of looking

thefarmer
04-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Empaths are easy to level, but this is really to test out the waters then start a whole new character to make it my main or something.

Just remember... MA'ing in GS with multiple characters is different than MA'ing on the PC with multiple accounts.

Snapp
04-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Aren't you supposed to be on a cruise or something?

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=31259

Just remember... MA'ing in GS with multiple characters is different than MA'ing on the PC with multiple accounts.
lol

Agamemnon
04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I'll be going next week.