PDA

View Full Version : Bows & Arrows

Audriana
04-14-2008, 03:05 PM
What is good in a bow? Is sighting worth it?

What is good in arrows?
Do you make your own? What kind do you have? Arrows can only provide up to +25 right? That's including the wood and arrowhead together, ya?
Do you usually keep 100 arrows? Keep 200?

I have a +21 ruic composite bow right now.
I'm thinking about making some Villswood, Imflass arrowheaded, forest green w/ black stripe, blue griffin fletching arrows.

Also, why is it fair that fletching 100 arrows can take upwards of 5 hours? Is that unfair?

AestheticDeath
04-14-2008, 03:10 PM
dont use arrowheads, just use magic woods

edit: pretty sure you only get the bonus from either the wood or the arrowhead but not both

Asha
04-14-2008, 03:19 PM
make your own arrows for +5 once you're mastered in felching then e-blade them for +20.
Carry 100, just use a gather script or macro I'm sure someone will find you here.

The enchant from a bow goes directly to your DS.

4x bow + 4x arrows and master felched = +20 DS / +25 AS.
I can't exactly remember why you shouldn't go past a 7x bow for AS but it's something to do with not being able to get more than 10x (+50) to AS with arrow and bow enchant combined.

Audriana
04-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Tough to find ebladers in plat...
Each bundle can hold 1000 charges, so for my friends that a lot of mana.
Also none of my friends are attuned so it's a crapshoot which kind of arrows I get.

So arrowheads don't add to the Damage Factor or anything? It would make sense that it would. Hell of a lot easier to get through armor with a hard-ass imflass arrowhead than a pared wooden tip.

Kitsun
04-14-2008, 03:26 PM
There really aren't too many special types of bows. From best to worst I'd say Elemental bows, Sighted bows, Crank Crossbows, Dual Crossbows

Sighting is best at lower levels but ultimately I think they're typically overpriced simply because of the rarity. Using a +2 yew bow isn't worth the AS loss.

I prefered having a 6x bow and just getting normal arrows ebladed to get a whole 10x. Using a 5x bow and fletching/eblading means you don't have to worry as much about getting the bow disarmed, though.

I used to keep around 60-100 arrows on me at any one time. At higher levels, losing arrows becomes much more rare. I remember getting away with hunting with only 10 arrows or so.

Durgrimst
04-14-2008, 03:41 PM
In OTF arrows get lost because the critters just disappear into the air when you attack them sometimes, so the arrows stuck in them go as well.

fallenSaint
04-14-2008, 03:56 PM
I preferred composite when I did archery for the balance between strength and speed, depends on what kind of archer you are though. If your one shotting stuff maybe a long bow is better for you, if your just trying to rip through them a short bow.

Sighting I really dont think is worth it if your a Ranger or Rogue. Any other class and maybe it is.

Arrows, go for whatever look you prefer the most but the main goal is to get maxed in fletching so you can get your 1x bonus to arrows and then aim for a 5x overall arrow me thinks. Ebladed arrows are cool and all but trying to keep up with them and their charges gets old to me.

If your DS is low then you'll want a higher enchant bow otherwise stick with a 5x bow and your own arrows for your 10x shots.

Ebows are cute but not nearly as spiffy as they used to be except for the originals still rock with the one flare per shot. Sighted bows are meh, and Wand Bows are really a kick in the pants since they eat your arrows up.

I did like using dual crossbows for a opening or finishing shot, prep it and rail something hard then use the composite to finish.

urmom
04-14-2008, 04:08 PM
master felched
`

Asha
04-14-2008, 04:13 PM
THANKYOU! Christ that took ages.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
04-14-2008, 04:22 PM
THANK YOU! Christ that took ages.

Fixed

Hope that didn't take too long for you.

Izzy
04-14-2008, 05:58 PM
I preferred composite when I did archery for the balance between strength and speed, depends on what kind of archer you are though. If your one shotting stuff maybe a long bow is better for you, if your just trying to rip through them a short bow.

Sighting I really dont think is worth it if your a Ranger or Rogue. Any other class and maybe it is.

Or just get the appropriate strength bonus to aim a longbow in 3 seconds, and get the best of both speed and power ;).

Okay, so that's only easy if you've got a pocket wizard and are a ranger. But it's not impossible, and definitely worth it if you can.

Higher enchant on the bow = more DS, but as has been said, your total AS can't be raised more than +50 between the bow and arrows. If you really wanted, you could go for a 10x bow and whatever arrows, but generally a 5x bow and 5x master fletched arrows is pretty standard. A 6x bow and store-bought ebladed arrows are nice (and cheap) when you're just not in the mood to fletch any more.

If you can find someone willing to skin you a few storm griffins, you can use their feathers to make 5x permenantly flaring arrows if you use a 4x wood or arrowhead (ultra nasty lightning flares, at that). Way better than eblading if you have access, and aren't hunting around water puddles.

Also, as has been stated, wood + arrowhead metal do NOT stack. I do sometimes like to use arrowheads for look, but it only takes the greater of the two bonuses into account. So use faewood OR vultite arrowheads.

Oh, last note, crossbows suck. Except for assassinating idiots. For hunting, I would never reccomend it.

Archery is so broken (in a good way) it's not even funny. Enjoy it :)

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
04-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Human Ranger with, what, 25 str bonus fires in 3 after Phoen's Strength, no?

Grab an enhancive and hunt to your heart's content.

Izzy
04-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Human Ranger with, what, 25 str bonus fires in 3 after Phoen's Strength, no?

A longbow? No.

Every 10 strength bonus lowers RT by 1 second.

Longbow = 7 second base. 25 + 10 = 35 = 3 seconds. 7-3=4.

But humans can get a bonus of 30 at 100 strength stat, so you could fire in 3 seconds at max strength stat.

Or, keep it at 25 bonus (90 stat) and add wizards strength on top of phoens (35 + 15 = 50 = 5 seconds) and you can aim in just (7-5+1) = 3 seconds.

Or 1 second with haste, which = wholeroomdeadveryfast mode.

Audriana
04-15-2008, 10:51 AM
I've found that Ranged Rogue + THW Wizard + Haste for both is just... well it's broken. Very very broken.

If he had more MP, we could clear out an entire warcamp in half an hour. We're only level 20, and can kill 10 critters in maybe 10-15 seconds.

fallenSaint
04-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh well if you have a pocket wizard, go ebow.

AestheticDeath
04-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Crossbows seem to help aiming a TON. And I like the extra AS it provides. I wouldn't shoot one without haste, but since I have it, I think crossbows are pretty nice, self-ammo makes it even better.