PDA

View Full Version : RENT ... (Broadway) Need food advice!

IcyPoison
12-21-2003, 05:57 PM
Well... My boy is taking me to NY on the 23rd, we're going to go see RENT, I'm really excited but I've never been there and he has no clue about a decent place to eat.

Any New Yorkers out there who could offer some assistance? He doesn't like spicy food, but other then that we're open.

Bestatte
12-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Jeez it's been ages since I've eaten near Times Square. There's some places in Manhatten, that I can recommend, but they're either north or south of the primary entertainment area of Broadway.

1) A deli-style place kiddy-corner across from the Metropolitan Opera house, near the southwest corner of Central Park. Frank Sinatra used to eat there a lot, and they have the most awesome pastrami sandwiches.

2) The Russian Tea Room (rumor that it finally closed, but somehow I doubt it)

3) La Fondue - cheese fondue for the main course, chocolate fondue for dessert. Get a single serving of each if they offer it. You won't need more to share between the two of you.

4) There's this amazing mexican restaurant that also serves "gringo food" for people who don't like spicey stuff. It's in Greenwich Village, on Bleeker Street. Right next door there used to be a place called the Speakeasy, which made incredible pudding and had open poetry recitals.

5) Also in the Village, on the corner of Bleeker and something near that Mex place: A blues club that serves a limited menu. Excellent music, decent food.

6) A short walk southwest from Times Square, there's an old fashioned English fish-n-chips place. I can't say enough good things about it, and if you absolutely need cheese on your fish sandwich, ask them nicely - if it's not busy they'll go next door to the specialty shop and get a few slices for you! Excellent service, excellent food. Crisp crunchy outside and melt in your mouth fish inside.

Weedmage Princess
12-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Depends on how much you're looking to spend. Tavern on the Green, while a little pricey, is very, very nice. It's a bit up further by Central Park though.

Ravenstorm
12-21-2003, 06:30 PM
Rent was good. You'll enjoy it. Or you'll hate it. I liked it.

As far as eating, I would suggest NOT eating near the theatre district. Prices are high to take advantage of all the theatre goers.

If you're going to be in NYC for longer than it takes to just see a show, I'd suggest the Citicorp Building. There's a load of restaurants in it so you have your pick of many cuisines.

it's on Lexington Avenue between 53rd and 54th so it's a bit aways from Times Square. Not too terribly far though.

Raven

Valiren
12-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Ravenstorm is right, the places around Time Square are way over priced.

I suggest buying a zaggat survey and looking for places in the downtown area.

Look for restaurants in the little italy/soho/tribeca area as there are a lot of good places to eat that are relatively cheap. And when I say relatively cheap, I mean cheap enough for a poor college student like myself to go out with friends once or twice a week.

Satira
12-21-2003, 11:55 PM
RENT is my favorite musical ever. I've seen it a lot. Anyways, if you want something close to the theatre district go to Trattoria Dopo Teatro. I haven't eaten there but one of my friends said it was good. The only bad thing is it may be a little bit expensive. If not go here.

http://www.menupages.com/

Caramia
12-22-2003, 01:20 AM
This place used to be a favorite of my grandfather's. I went there with a friend the night we went to see Hair on Broadway, and they had the most heavenly chocolate mousse. They were pretty close by, and the name of the place is Le Biarritz. I would probably check Zagat to see if they merit a rating.

http://192.220.118.113/ is the site listing their address and menus.

IcyPoison
12-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!

Thank you all very much, this is a lot of help. We leave tonight.. nothing like last minute planning!!

Moist Happenings
12-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Near time's square! Go to Stardust Diner. Girls + Poodle skirts = GODLIKE.

the food is okay too..

Edit to add:

Also, I forgot to mention, it's quite a show. It's got a great atmosphere and all the waiters and waitresses sing and dance. It's fun. My favorite place near time's square.

Stop by the corner of 7th and 42nd if you get a chance. that's walking distance. Medieval times. Highly overpriced but cool toys!

And if you're in the mood for good coffee(stay way from the fondue), but 77th and Lexington. great coffee shop. gotta take 3 trains to get there though.

[Edited on 12-22-2003 by Neff]

Edit again to add:

er, and when I said Medieval times, I just meant the shop. They don't have the restaurant with the show in NYC. But it's got some cool stuff there bein' sold. Check out the chess sets.

[Edited on 12-22-2003 by Neff]

Ravenstorm
12-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Neff

[stage whisper]
Psst. They're gay.
[/stage whisper]

Raven

Kurapira
12-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Haha! You people bring me back. So yea, I was going to mention a lot of what you all brought up so go there. Again, stay away from the blocks in the theatre district. They are over-priced, and usually not worth it.

Also, as a hint.. sometimes its fun just to walk around and find a little place by yourselves. Enjoy the atmosphere!

Moist Happenings
12-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm

[stage whisper]
Psst. They're gay.
[/stage whisper]

Raven

YOU TAKE THAT BACK. I'm going to marry him and there's nothing you can do about it!

IcyPoison
12-22-2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Ravenstorm

[stage whisper]
Psst. They're gay.
[/stage whisper]

Raven

YOU TAKE THAT BACK. I'm going to marry him and there's nothing you can do about it!

LOL..

BTW.. I finally got an address...

208 West 41st Street
New York, NY 10036

Nederlander Theatre??

I'm really excited, I may just have to try all of these restaurants.

12-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Chicago has better restaurants.

Ravenstorm
12-22-2003, 05:20 PM
Sorry. NYC is the center of the civilized and cultural world. :)

Raven

longshot
12-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Call Dorsia and ask for reservations...