PDA

View Full Version : Old-Style Claidhs

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
04-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Any info on what these generally go for? I assume they can be altered into two-handed sword nouns, rather than straight base conversion? Would they generally hit magic critters? or not so much.

thefarmer
04-10-2008, 11:06 PM
You can't convert a claid into a sword.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
04-10-2008, 11:11 PM
...wow,... start reading posts before replying?

EDIT: In case you didn't know why I stated the above, I was asking if old style claidhs, which already inspect as two handed swords, could be altered to a two handed sword noun, or if they'd immediately be converted to the newstyle base.

thefarmer
04-10-2008, 11:35 PM
...wow,... start reading posts before replying?

EDIT: In case you didn't know why I stated the above, I was asking if old style claidhs, which already inspect as two handed swords, could be altered to a two handed sword noun, or if they'd immediately be converted to the newstyle base.

The answer is still no.

AestheticDeath
04-10-2008, 11:53 PM
It converts the base to the noun. Not noun to base. So if you converted an oldstyle claidh it would become a newstyle claidh with the new base. Doubt any GM would make an exception.

Khariz
04-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Right, you cannot change the description based on the base.

I'll give you an example:

Berr had a claidhmore that back before flamberge's existed as a base in the game, he had altered into a flamberge. One day a GM popped in and said "Okay here's the deal, change the name to claidhmore or the base becomes flamberge." The latter occured, and that's how we ended up with one of the claid-weighted flamberges.

But you might note that in THAT example it was the NAME and not the Base that had changed. In your example, the NAME is already claidhmore. The only conversion that can occur to it, is to make it NOT a two handed sword any more (which would be horrible, btw).

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
04-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Actually, in the example you just provided, it WAS the base that had changed.

NOTE: I didn't care about converting anything to anything else, I rather wondered if an old style claidhmore, named as a claidhmore with a two handed base, could still be altered into a two handed sword noun due to its base, but nonetheless, I got it. Thanks

fallenSaint
04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Actually, in the example you just provided, it WAS the base that had changed.

NOTE: I didn't care about converting anything to anything else, I rather wondered if an old style claidhmore, named as a claidhmore with a two handed base, could still be altered into a two handed sword noun due to its base, but nonetheless, I got it. Thanks

Yea the problem is he got his altered before they started getting anal about altering items around, can't let people get too creative.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
04-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Ahh, me sees.

stickyfingers
05-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Is there a way to tell difference between a new and old style one, just by inspecting/looking at it?

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
New style are claidhmore bases, with claidhmore AvDs. Old style are two handed swords, with two handed sword AvDs. (and I'm pretty sure old style claidhs are base -10 enchanted, thus making a 2x old style claidh 0x, in all reality)

thefarmer
05-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Is there a way to tell difference between a new and old style one, just by inspecting/looking at it?

An inspection of an old style claid will say it's a 'modified greatsword'.

Inspecting a new style claid will just say it'll need 2hd skill.

stickyfingers
05-03-2008, 08:49 PM
An inspection of an old style claid will say it's a 'modified greatsword'.

Inspecting a new style claid will just say it'll need 2hd skill.
thanks

Deathravin
05-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Don't old claids also hit crazy harder than new claids?

Also... who remembers fish spine swords? those things rocked.

thefarmer
05-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Don't old claids also hit crazy harder than new claids?

No.

Khariz
05-09-2008, 11:09 AM
No.

Indeed. The only type of armor that they even TECHNICALLY hit hard against is plate.

Otherwise they are exactly the same, except for weapon specialization and where the -10 penalty is applied.

Lucas
05-09-2008, 11:56 AM
The only real big advantage for old style versus new style is technically you can get an old style up to 12x due to the 2x being tacked onto the AvD and not the enchant.

thefarmer
05-09-2008, 12:11 PM
The only real big advantage for old style versus new style is technically you can get an old style up to 12x due to the 2x being tacked onto the AvD and not the enchant.

No matter how smart you try to make yourself seem... You're still a stupid douchebag who knows nothing.

Martaigne
05-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Even *if* you were technically correct, the only way you could potentially do this is with [a shit ton of] premium points, and chances are the first time you sent it up for enchanting, you'll get it back as a 1x new style claid... so no.

Belnia
05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Can only enchant new-style claidhmores with Premium Points, they won't even do old-style.

Lomoriond
05-09-2008, 02:12 PM
The only tangible benefit of oldstyle versus new is that if you use wspec for an oldstyle, it will be for a greatsword, which would then allow you to use those bonuses with a greatsword as a secondary weapon, without having to dump points into wspec2.

Newstyles, having a higher enchant, would have a slightly higher parry DS, but are their own base, so your wspec would be for "claidhmore" (and thus would not afford you any of your wspec bonuses if you picked up a greatsword or an oldstyle claidhmore)

In answer to the OP's question... No.

You can not alter the noun of a claidhmore. Even if the alterer let the guy in front of you turn his cloak into a glowing shimmering squealing baby skin deathcloak that reeks of rotted souls... they would never let you change the noun of a claidhmore.

Why? Cause then you're one step closer to a claidh weighted weapon that is not a claidh, and that would TEAR A HOLE IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE.

Do they exist? Yup... cause, in the past, some people got away with it... but good luck with getting away with it ever again.

Stry
05-24-2008, 07:37 AM
So can anyone answer the original question please?

What is a old-style claid worth?

Drew
05-24-2008, 09:00 AM
So can anyone answer the original question please?

What is a old-style claid worth?

Not much to a decent amount, I've seen them sold for 10k and for 500k, really depends on if some people are looking.

Khariz
05-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Not much to a decent amount, I've seen them sold for 10k and for 500k, really depends on if some people are looking.

What a shitty answer:

What enchant are we talking about?

The general rule you are looking at is about 10 mil per enchant. Then add more the higher the enchant you get. So for old style claids you are looking at about:

10-12 mil for 1x
20-23 mil for 2x
30-35 mil for 3x
40-55mil for 4x

Those are minimums. 4x ones can go for MUCH more depending on weight, material, etc.