PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection problem

Anebriated
04-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Alright so I wake up this morning and go to check the news on the interweb only to find that my internet is down. Crappy. Reboot the comp, reboot the modem and certain websites work, some dont. Cant connect to aim, xfire, vent, or log onto any games. Not really sure what the deal is since I can post here without any problems. Come on techies, how do i fix this?

Anebriated
04-05-2008, 11:58 AM
PC - yes
Comcast - no
Eagles homepage - yes
Phillies homepage - no
profootballtalk - yes
CBS Sportsline - no
yahoo - yes
the list goes on...

Anebriated
04-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Would seriously appreciate some help here. Cant figure out the problem for the life of me. Called comcast and they say my modem is at fault, I find that hard to believe but I am no expert.

Sylvan Dreams
04-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Are you able to only go to websites that are in your history/cache?

What's the error message?

Is there a router involved?

Did you do a hard boot (power everything off) or just a reboot?

Are you using some sort of Firewall that could be blocking you? Like Norton's?

Isn't comcast required to give you support for your modem? I don't think they can just tell you you're SOL.

Anebriated
04-05-2008, 02:03 PM
AIM - Connection failed
Xfire - Connection timed out

there is a router involved. generic linksys that ive used for years.

I shut everything down completely. checked the connections on the back of the modem, router and PC. Checked laptop and also is having trouble accessing certain sites.

turned the firewall off to make sure that wasnt the issue.

I purchased the modem(motorola) instead of renting it so technically its my responsibility. Sucks but I am indeed SOL.

Anebriated
04-05-2008, 02:04 PM
And I am able to get to a few websites that I have never been to so its not just whats in the cache.

Anebriated
04-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Out of nowhere everything just clicked on. AIM works, xfire works, can get to all websites.... no idea what happened.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
04-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Call Best Buy? They'll say it's a virus and offer you a reformat for the low, low price of $80.00. SWEEET