PDA

View Full Version : New Wizard

Barkam
03-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Hello I am brand new to this game and I started a wizard. I have read a lot on this topic and made my first wizard with the stats below. I am wondering if I made my stats right for the long haul. I am level 11 now. Should I reroll? I plan to be a pure spell caster.

My race is Half Elf.
These are my following stats for level 0:
STR 88
CON 52
DEX 83
AGL 85
DIS 90
AUR 79
LOG 79
INT 42
WIS 42
INF 20

THank you for helping

Rimalon
04-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Looks fine. Plenty of room for growth, which is a good thing. It's hard to mess up a Wizard, trust me.

Welcome to the game!

Renian
04-01-2008, 01:48 AM
The only criticism that I could make is that you are probably going to have a surplus of PTPs rather than MTPs. But it's necessary to maximize growth, which looks to be mostly what you are doing.

However, it is a far, far, FAR better idea now to maximize TPs from 0 to cap. Why? After you obtain 1 million BPs (which you could likely do if you just did AdG assignments all the way up to cap--which you should), you can purchase a fixstats potion, which grants you a reallocation so you can maximize stats. This way, the beginning of the game is much easier, and at the end game when you can get an unlimited number of TPs in the long run, you can maximize your stats.

Barkam
04-01-2008, 04:02 AM
Thank you all for your input. They have put me at ease and now I can just enjoy playing my wizard instead of thinking I messed up royally and have to start all over.

g++
04-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Half-elf is certainly a good choice, but as someone who played the game through as an elf wizard the first time I was kind of envious of halflings. They get spirit back absurdly fast for wracking. That allows them to spell up faster and hunt more often. They also get bonuses to evading alot of CS spells which is less of a problem now then it was in GS3 when I played my elf. Anyway just thought I would put that out there. On the cons however halfling stregth is obviously gimpy but when I did finally get a halfling to high level I found my air lore let me hold 4 5 boxs in a disk...so it was kind of moot in the end.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Halflings are better.

AnticorRifling
04-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Giantmen > halflings > almost every other race > > > > > > > > dark elves

Valthissa
04-01-2008, 12:12 PM

for once, you are correct

C/Valth

Asha
04-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Pffft Delf ftw.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I'd take the halfling reflex / agility bonus at cap any day of the week over a giant. That's about the only separator from 1 & 2, in my mind.

Halflings get encumbered faster, giants carry more. I never really hunt so much that I fill up with loot before I head in, but if you wanted to loot hunt, I'd go with a giant.

Valthissa
04-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I'd take the halfling reflex / agility bonus at cap any day of the week over a giant. That's about the only separator from 1 & 2, in my mind.

Halflings get encumbered faster, giants carry more. I never really hunt so much that I fill up with loot before I head in, but if you wanted to loot hunt, I'd go with a giant.

I agree that halflings make the best wizards (But I won't admit to it in any post but this one).

Valthissa & Anticor were both giant wizards with about as oposite a build as one can have when playing a wizard.

C/Valth

Danical
04-01-2008, 03:19 PM
as long as you aren't a burghal gnome, you'll be fine.

Outdrsyguy1
04-01-2008, 03:50 PM
I made the mistake of going burghal gnome for my wizard. Got him pretty high in levels before i realized just how poor a choice that was. I can barely carry an empty backpack and if something farts a maneuver at me, just the wind kills me from blood loss alone. Everytime i think about it i'm a sad panda :(.
If i could pay like $200 and change my race i would. I've just played him for too long to start over. It's like a thorn in my side everytime i see his hp.

Barkam
04-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Thank you for all of your comments.

Renian
04-02-2008, 01:56 AM

Eff halflings and their inability to hold shit.

Giantmen > all is still a true statement however.

Woden
04-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Admittedly, my wizard is merely at level 34, but so far, I've enjoyed the crap out of being a half-elf. This is probably due in large part to the fact that I'm not a pure caster, however.

Hilts
04-10-2008, 12:20 PM
sylvans make really good wizards also.. strong and dexterious.. i have a sylvan archer wizard who r0x

but really it all comes down to how your gonna play your wizard.. pure or swinger/caster, whatever floats your boat

kovryn
04-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Could anyone help me with a question about training a new wizard? I'm surprised by my spell research training costs at the moment.

When I turned level 5 and tried to train, I found that my spells cost 0/16 each to train in. I thought this should be 0/8 (at least for the first training each level)?

At level 4 my wizard had trained: 2x MinorE, 3x MajorE, and 3x Wizard (ran into the same 0/16 issue when training for 4th level and so only single trained that level).

Thanks for the help!

A

Celephais
04-23-2008, 09:19 AM
when you leveled up you recovered training costs from the previous level.

If you are level 5 (allowing for 3x for 7 levels, or 21 spells), it'll cost you 0/8 for the first 7 total spells, and then 0/16 for the next 7 total spells... so you HAD 6 spells at 0/8 and 2 spells at 0/16 for a total of 0/80, when you leveled you recovered 0/8 by shifting on 0/16 to a 0/8, so currently have 7 spells at 0/8 cost, one at 0/16 cost for a total of 0/72, so to get a total of 9 spells (first spell of the level) will have a total shift of +0/8, to 0/82.