PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Living and it's problems

Lord Nelek
03-30-2008, 03:33 AM
I am having some issues with the tenant who lives behind me. Anyone know of a good way to break a lease?

Details:

On 03/20/08 she was having an argument with her boyfriend, where they were screaming, yelling and slamming things. They were very loud and it was very early AM.

They carried on this argument out into the parking lot, where she ends up attaching herself to his car window as he tries to drive off. He doesn't stop and the girl gets thrown to the ground. Her pants get ripped, she's bleeding from her leg, abdomen and arm and she's crying. They go back inside, where they continue the argument.

Tonight, it's pretty much the same thing as far as noise goes, but minus her getting thrown to the ground.

I've complained to the office about her, the guy below me has complained about the noise and now the cops have been called twice about her.

Are there legal grounds to end my lease? If not, what do I need to start documenting to get out of my lease?

Crawford Communities, LLC is the company who owns this place and I'm seriously just fed up and sick of this place.

Fallen
03-30-2008, 03:35 AM
I guess you could threaten the apartment complex with some sort of action if they do not do something about the problem. Also, if it is something as crazy as people being thrown off moving cars, skip calling the normal police and go straight to 911.

Sylvan Dreams
03-30-2008, 03:35 AM
Enough noise complaints to the police should get them a fine or an eviction. The more you shrug it off, the more they will shrug it off.

TheEschaton
03-30-2008, 12:12 PM
There's no legal relationship between you and other tenants, so you'd have to argue that the managment isn't doing their job in relation to you. Usually there's something in most standard leases about the landlord keeping the peace and sanctity of the place, so start documenting every time your peace and sanctity is disturbed, and tell them you're doing so. Set a limit, and tell them "if this reaches this limit, I'll find that unreasonable, and I will take action to break that lease." Normally, I'd have to say that would involve 6-8 incidents in a relatively short period of time, like a month, but that's probably a conservative estimate (IE, when you could say with certainty "this is breaking your end of the lease.")

-theE-

Asha
03-30-2008, 01:12 PM
kill their cat

Keller
03-30-2008, 01:14 PM
kill their cat

This post is pure win.

Daniel
03-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Don't be a vagina and just go back to sleep.

Stanley Burrell
03-30-2008, 04:03 PM
(its)

Apathy
03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
There's no legal relationship between you and other tenants, so you'd have to argue that the managment isn't doing their job in relation to you. Usually there's something in most standard leases about the landlord keeping the peace and sanctity of the place, so start documenting every time your peace and sanctity is disturbed, and tell them you're doing so. Set a limit, and tell them "if this reaches this limit, I'll find that unreasonable, and I will take action to break that lease." Normally, I'd have to say that would involve 6-8 incidents in a relatively short period of time, like a month, but that's probably a conservative estimate (IE, when you could say with certainty "this is breaking your end of the lease.")

-theE-

QFT. To add: Breaking a lease scott-free is a difficult thing to do; especially depending on what state you live in. A small claims court will not find the other tenants responsible for any fees you have to pay, either.

Your best bet is to talk to your landlord and let them know how bothersome it is, going with the tenant that lives above them would be better, and if there is a "Renter's Rights" type group in your area, talk to them.