PDA

View Full Version : Hilarious X-post on the Grimswarm Changes

Fallen
03-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi, I have to chime in on these delightful changes. Allow me to state very plainly that I think they're a load of bull.

Let me also share a snippit from a log hunt that just happened:

A Grimswarm orc pillager hangs back for a moment, watching you intently before unleashing a perfectly timed attack that manages to bypass the magical wards that surround you!
A Grimswarm orc pillager swings a short sword at you!
AS: +183 vs DS: +68 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +67 = +207
... and hits for 16 points of damage!
Blow raises a welt on your right arm.

Now allow me to share a little fact. This character of mine isn't in the Guardians of Sunfist, and this happened outside of a damn warcamp to my Voln-joined Paladin. No. I do -not- think so. I might not have power over changes, but this is completely BS.

There is no way the Grimswarm should have any sort of ability that can bypass the magical protections of any Guardian they come against. There surely is NO WAY they should have the ability to do this to any character they come across at all. This stinking piece of drivel shouldn't even be in the game, but it sure as hell shouldn't be outside of the warcamps.

This post is meant entirely for the NIR. If other players have posted already on this matter, I sincerely apologize for being repetitive. It's just, not a lot of things make me angry. Annoy me a little bit, make me a little exasperated...sure, but not truly angry.

However, the above sent me straight to pissed off. I know you're aware of the issues Coase, but with all due respect. Fix this.

- David, the angry

Fallen
03-28-2008, 07:52 PM
He raises a perfectly valid point regarding the Grimswarm. Before this point, people bitching about Grimswarm outside the camps were whining about nothing. They spawn at the level of the hunting ground they are found. HOWEVER, with the above maneuver given to ALL Grimswarm, they are now a serious, serious threat.

Gan
03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
So how long before that one got pulled?

Fallen
03-28-2008, 07:55 PM
We'll see. I doubt it will get pulled. My skills of prediction haven't been all that great lately, though.

Danical
03-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Who knows.

Lord knows I disagree with Emeradan's censorship but maybe that's why I'm banninated from the officials.

EDIT: BUT YES IT WAS FUNNY. At least he didn't just mouth off like I have done a few times.

Fallen
03-28-2008, 07:58 PM
"I might not have power over changes, but this is completely BS."

They could get him for masked vulgarity.

Stretch
03-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Virilneus' rants are more funny to read. You can actually imagine him getting heated whilst typing.

Evarin just explained to me what this is. This is a grimswarm attack where they ignore all spell DS.

This is dumb.

This is really dumb.

This is probably the dumbest idea any GM has ever come up with. No Emeradan, this isn't a personal attack, I have no idea what GM came up with this travesty of an idea, nor am I attacking any one GM, I'm attacking this pitiful idea.

Perhaps simu has too high a staff turnover rate, do really none of you remember growing pains or the gs4 conversion? No one? Raise your hand, because I see absolutely no perspective of historical facts, nor spell facts, in this implementation.

Does no one remember the huge defense disparities between squares and pures that necessitated both growing pains and the level compression of the GS4 conversion?

Does no one remember that all pure professions were given incremental DS spells (such as 712) in order to make up for this shortcoming? IE, that pure professions, by design, require spell based defense for parity with semis & squares, not for superiority, for parity, and that without this DS they're sitting ducks to things even much younger?

Can no GM recall any spell description? Do you not realize that many spells do not create magical auras but physical barriers that provide defense through their physicality?

Can no GM recall that many defensive spells add defense through phantom dodge ranks, which are making your character quicker, and not providing any magical aura a weapon could hypothetically cut through? Many spells also otherwise enhance the physical nature of your character and provide defense in that way, not through a magical sphere surrounding the character.

If you're going to be doing stuff like this, why not add spellburst for Grimswarm camps? I mean, if there is going to be an instakill swing attack for pures, atleast make it a little harder for squares to tank up with enough spells to be immune to casting attacks (even spellburst doesn't always accomplish that).

Do you also realize you just ensured the further marginalization of the runestaff pure training path? Runestaff DS sucks compared to shield DS, and shields usually have higher ETs than runestaffs. You've just ensured that no runestaff using pure is going to join this society, way to go. The only pure that is going to have a chance, that isn't ridiculously far post cap to be say, 1x in dodge, is going to need 10x shield, high enchant armor, and DB items to boot. Even then, they'll probably still get hit, just maybe not killed.

Was there really a problem with pures not dying? Give the grimswarm charge or garrote, or some other manuever. Model them on ithzir that gang up and wear you down with attack combos. Ewave + 117 + ithzir seer fireball == most pures bite it.

Now... a weapon that lets you cut through certain magical auras... that might be a great auction item. Maybe a weapon that cuts through guards, or one that negates WOF, specific spells or groups of spells. Sure, but a manuever like attack for that, for all spells at once? Dumb. Carlos Mencia du du du dumb.

Virilneus

Fallen
03-28-2008, 08:05 PM
This is the ultimate butthurt pure mechanic. In a way, I love it for that. They're calling it CMAN Purekill.

Danical
03-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Dumb. Carlos Mencia du du du dumb.

Virilneus

EL OH EL!

:lol2:

----------------
Now playing: Daft Punk - One More Time (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/daft+punk/track/one+more+time)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

mgoddess
03-28-2008, 08:08 PM
A Grimswarm orc pillager swings a short sword at you!
AS: +183 vs DS: +68 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +67 = +207
... and hits for 16 points of damage!
Blow raises a welt on your right arm.

Fair bit of 'dux going on there... could've been worse.

Still, he does make a good point. I could possibly understand this happening... IN a warcamp, WITH a swarm, WITH higher-level grims, etc. etc. etc.

Certainly NOT outside a camp, happening to NON-GoS'ers. That definitely would've pissed me off... and I don't think I would've been so light on the wording if it had happened to me.

StrayRogue
03-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Hmmm, whats the point of the "threat" of these monsters if they don't spill out from their camps a little?

Anyway, as this whole thing goes on it's becoming more and more stupidly convoluted. What could have been a fantastic idea (instanced dungeons) has been butchered into a total mechanic nightmare.

It's a real shame, as the concept had potential. I could even take the fact pures had the AOE advantage and squares were just fucked. With the new changes though...well what exactly are the benefits of joining the society now?

SayGoodbye
03-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Someone just mentioned maybe it's an April fool's day prank. :D

Back
03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I haven’t played a square or pure or tried this new society... but is the Grimswarm magic-bypass attack available to squares? And if not, do people think it should be available as a cman for squares?

Fallen
03-28-2008, 08:39 PM
No, I don't think it should be available to squares. It would make many other CMANs pointless. Why feint a turtled pure when you can cut through all of their spell DS? etc.

they could make it a FLARE of weapon bonding, or something rare like that, but not something to be executed at will. It would have to be randomized.

Danical
03-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Closest item that will come to that is the kroderine longsword that flares elemental/spiritual dispels.

GS will never see anything like cman purekill.

Seran
03-28-2008, 08:58 PM
David's a c-bag anyway, hope he quits.

Stanley Burrell
03-28-2008, 10:15 PM
This is the ultimate butthurt pure mechanic. In a way, I love it for that. They're calling it CMAN Purekill.

Yo:

As long as I can learn this with a Warrior, s'all good. But seriously, this ...Whatever-mechanic, when I've been hunting, or rather hunted, by hunters, is really starting to become dumb. And make the children cry.

Blushy
03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
GS will never see anything like cman purekill.
Don't need it. We already have CMAN charge.

Fallen
03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
I've been hit with a charge or two in the camps. Padding makes all the difference in the world.

BigWorm
03-31-2008, 01:31 PM
I've been hit with a charge or two in the camps. Padding makes all the difference in the world.

Agreed. Since I got HCP metal breastplate, I've noticed the crits from charge have been less. Probably even more so with your ridiculously nice armor.

Fallen
03-31-2008, 05:26 PM
I have MCP, yes, but you are in plate class armor so you should win, especially if padded.

Danical
03-31-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't think AsG mitigates the crits from charge.

Methais
03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
We'll see. I doubt it will get pulled. My skills of prediction haven't been all that great lately, though.

I bet anything Emeradan will pull it because he said "BS". And this is a FAMILY ENVIRONMENT WHERE YOU RIP THINGS' GUTS OUT AND SHATTER THEIR SKULLS INTO RED SPRAYS OF BLOOD WHILE DOING SATANIC TYPE RITUALS WHILE WORSHIPPING LUUKOS, and bad words like "BS" have no place here.

NocturnalRob
03-31-2008, 05:57 PM
I bet anything Emeradan will pull it because he said "BS". And this is a FAMILY ENVIRONMENT WHERE YOU RIP THINGS' GUTS OUT AND SHATTER THEIR SKULLS INTO RED SPRAYS OF BLOOD WHILE DOING SATANIC TYPE RITUALS WHILE WORSHIPPING LUUKOS, and bad words like "BS" have no place here.

your capitalization has induced me to accept the Dark Lord as the one true prophet.

GS4 is a breeding ground for devil worship

Methais
03-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Family devil worship.