PDA

View Full Version : Presidential hopefuls are mum on Medicare and Social Security woes

Parkbandit
03-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Presidential hopefuls are mum on Medicare and Social Security woes

By Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
March 26, 2008
WASHINGTON -- With the presidential campaign going full tilt, a new government report on a big national problem is usually followed by volleys of rhetoric from the candidates. But on Tuesday, when the annual report on the precarious state of Medicare and Social Security came out, the reaction was not exactly deafening.

The two programs on which millions of elderly Americans depend are apparently just too hot to handle -- especially since any realistic solution is likely to involve a politically unpalatable mix of higher taxes and lower benefits.

As a result, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, the presumed Republican presidential nominee, had little to say when the latest numbers were released projecting Medicare going into the red by 2019 and Social Security following in 2041. The Democratic contenders, Sens. Barack Obama of Illinois and Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, also sidestepped the issue.

"Everybody knows that there are a couple of 800-pound gorillas under the rug, but nobody wants to talk about them because that is not the route to the Oval Office," said economist Robert D. Reischauer, president of the Urban Institute public policy center. "The situation is unsustainable in the long run, but the long run is in the future, and our political system operates very much in the present."

Yet baby boomers will start retiring and signing up for Medicare in 2011 -- during the next president's first term. And the program faces double jeopardy from rapidly rising healthcare costs and an aging society. Indeed, the trustees' report released Tuesday showed that Medicare spending will surpass Social Security in 2028, and grow to almost double the cost of the pension program in 2082.

Of the three candidates, McCain is running as the most fiscally conservative. He criticized the Medicare prescription benefit when it was created in 2003, saying that Congress and President Bush failed to provide for the long-term cost.

Candidate McCain has called benefit programs "unsustainable" and promised to work with Democrats to find solutions. But he has not laid out his own ideas in detail. And he certainly has not indicated a willingness to consider tax increases.

But tax increases will likely have to be part of any solution.

A president "can't take anything off the table," said David M. Walker, former head of the congressional Government Accountability Office and a leading advocate of reforming entitlements, as the benefit programs are known.

"You can't tell people, 'I'll never change Social Security and Medicare,' or 'I'll never raise taxes,' " Walker said. "If you take things off the table, it significantly undercuts the ability to get a deal."

All three candidates agree that Medicare's problems are part of the larger dilemma of rising healthcare costs, and that they have similar kinds of proposals to try to rein them in without tax increases or benefit cuts.

Rest of the story at: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/la-na-entitle26mar26,1,513148.story

None of our Presidential hopefuls want to even touch this.. nice.

Kembal
03-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Uhh....I thought Obama already presented a plan for Social Security.

Way back before Iowa, even.

That said, Social Security is fine for now. It's Medicare that needs to be looked at.

Daniel
03-26-2008, 07:37 PM
OBAMA'S PASTER IS RACIST

Parkbandit
03-26-2008, 07:39 PM
OBAMA'S PASTER IS RACIST

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/belike53/attentionwhore.jpg

:shrug:

Gan
03-26-2008, 09:26 PM
And you thought racism is the 3rd rail of politics?

Wait till you piss off the old folks.

Methais
03-26-2008, 11:21 PM
And you thought racism is the 3rd rail of politics?

Wait till you piss off the old folks.

I predict it will be something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2A6UJEj81k

Back
03-27-2008, 01:04 AM
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/socialsecurity/

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/healthcare/

Daniel
03-27-2008, 07:37 AM
OBAMA'S PASTOR IS RACIST!!!!

Gan
03-27-2008, 07:59 AM
I predict it will be something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2A6UJEj81k

LOL

Classic.

ElanthianSiren
03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
BL does have a point, if one believes it possible to have widely expanded healthcare, but if you research Obama's plan, I don't believe it'd cover everyone.

To that end, you'd simply be shuffling SOME people from one system to another or have some actually losing coverage, especially if they do away with Medicare for his plan. Clinton's isn't any better, and McCain's seems like more of the same (HSAs etc). PB also has a point since older people tend to resist change, especially if confusing, evidenced during the new Medicare enrollment fiasco.

I can see why nobody wants to specifically address those serious issues, little worrisome though since the POUS is supposed to do just that.

edit: LOL at hell's grannies!

Clove
03-27-2008, 08:54 AM
HSA's are an excellent improvement to healthcare but they're most effective for young adults with stable employment. It's not anywhere near a "solution".

Daniel
03-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Fuck HA's. I have to put 500 bucks a year into a plan I have no need for. Then If I don't spend it by the end of the year I'm assed out. So, I end up going to buy some 500 dollar glasses or some shit.

CrystalTears
03-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Not sure what kind of HSA you have, Daniel, but usually they involve a savings account that shouldn't have to be used in any length of time.

Maybe you're referring to a FlexPay type of system where you put in what you have to use by the end of the year.

Daniel
03-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Maybe? I just know it's 500 bucks that could easily be spent on something better like greasy cheeseburgers at 3am and alcohol.

ElanthianSiren
03-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Oh the irony.

Clove
03-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Fuck HA's. I have to put 500 bucks a year into a plan I have no need for. Then If I don't spend it by the end of the year I'm assed out. So, I end up going to buy some 500 dollar glasses or some shit.
That's definitely NOT an HSA. It sounds like what you have is some kind flexible spending plan.

HSA's allow you to fund pre-tax income into a savings account for the purpose of uncovered qualified medical expenses (as defined by the IRS). HSA funds (and interest) rollover year to year and remain tax free as long as they are expended for qualified medical expenses. In order to participate in an HSA you must also be enrolled in a high deductible health plan (minimum of a 1,500.00 deductible). IIRC the IRS allows individuals to allocate up to 2,250.00 per year into an HSA and what you don't spend you keep (in reserve for future medical expenses).

The HSA can be used to pay your deductible, as well as uncovered vision and dental expenses. You can even reimburse yourself for medical expenses in prior years (subject to restrictions) so if for example you had to pay for expenses out of pocket because your HSA didn't have enough funds at the time, you could withdraw the funds later when it does.

Daniel
03-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Yea. As a in shape, non smoking, 25 year old single male, healthcare is not a big issue for me.

Clove
03-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Yea. As a in shape, non smoking, 25 year old single male, healthcare is not a big issue for me.

Which is why an HSA would work well for you. It would allow you to build a tax-free savings account for future healthcare costs. You could put away 1,500-2,250 a year for the next ten years or so then as you approach middle age you'll have 20-25k in savings ready for uncovered healthcare expenses.

Daniel
03-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Yea, but I'd rather put that into my 401k\IRA or investment accounts. I'll probably lose 20-25k in opportunity costs just by having it sit in some money market account.

Clove
03-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Yea, but I'd rather put that into my 401k\IRA or investment accounts. I'll probably lose 20-25k in opportunity costs just by having it sit in some money market account.

Perhaps but that 20-25k is tax free for the purposes of medical expenses, whereas your 401k is tax deferred. As long as you follow the rules when you fund the HSA and follow the rules when you use the HSA, you don't pay taxes on that cash. That's a huge benefit. Think of it as tax-free healthcare.

On the other hand, if you put the funds into a 401k when you withdraw it, you pay income tax regardless of whether or not you spend it on healthcare (unless you spend over 7.5% of your annual income).