PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Training

horibu
03-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm needing help with my training for my paladin. I'm a bit confused as to what to do. I just returned from a 3+ year break and converted from a warrior. I have until 4/10/08 for instant migration. Here is what I'm currently doing.

Name: XXXXXXX Race: Dark Elf Profession: Paladin (shown as: Paladin)
Strength (STR): 96 (23)
Constitution (CON): 76 (8)
Dexterity (DEX): 78 (24)
Agility (AGI): 86 (23)
Discipline (DIS): 69 (-1)
Aura (AUR): 64 (17)
Logic (LOG): 53 (1)
Intuition (INT): 48 (4)
Wisdom (WIS): 96 (28)
Influence (INF): 59 (-1)

XXXXXX (at level 18), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
Armor Use..........................| 140 40
Shield Use.........................| 140 40
Combat Maneuvers...................| 86 20
Edged Weapons......................| 140 40
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 90 20
Physical Fitness...................| 90 20
Dodging............................| 90 20
Harness Power......................| 90 20
Climbing...........................| 50 10
Swimming...........................| 50 10
Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 1
Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 19

I've been seing a lot of threads on the official forums regarding Polearm and 2-Handed weapons. Are they considered the defacto for Paladin training? Why, why not?

Also, I'm training in Combat Maneuvers and was wondering what I should use those cman points for. To many choices to choose from. Thanks.

If there are any decent sites with paly guides on them. Then I'd love to have those links as well. I haven't found anything out there yet. Miss the good ol days of going to someone's site that had a warrior training plan that told you all you needed to know. Thanks.

Stanley Burrell
03-22-2008, 12:28 PM
http://www.play.net/gs4/info/spells/spelllist.asp?circle=13

The lore thresholds are incredibly important. I cannot emphasize this enough.

horibu
03-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Should I start training in lores at .3x? Or should I do 2:1:1 blessing/religion/summoning? Also, is it recommended to get to to 1630 before switching to 1x minor spirit spells?

Stanley Burrell
03-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Your best bet, if you're going to be that heavily trained in armor, is to look at the big-difference static spells (i.e. 1605, 1609/1617, etc.) and mini-max.

You're kind of set for long-term stat growth on spirit points, so my CoL suggestion is abstained.

mgoddess
03-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Gormin (at level 18), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
Armor Use..........................| 140 40
Shield Use.........................| 140 40
Combat Maneuvers...................| 86 20
Edged Weapons......................| 140 40
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 90 20
Physical Fitness...................| 90 20
Dodging............................| 90 20
Harness Power......................| 90 20
Climbing...........................| 50 10
Swimming...........................| 50 10
Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 1
Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 19

Don't level+1 on Paly spells... go down to 18, since you can't use 1619 until you're 19 anyways. Also, drop the Harness Power down to at-level... the extra +1 mana per every rank above level isn't worth the extra TP's it's costing you.

I, personally, got up to 1630 before going up the 100's, but I also converted at level 48... my younger paladin will probably do similar, or get to 1635 before starting up the 100's circle (as 1635 may be of much more use to her, being a polearm user, compared to my main being a ohe/board user).

I have seen plenty of paladins various weapon routes... anything is really possible with a paladin. Polearms are awesome (especially lances), especially with cman charge, stars (blunts) are awesome (crushing) with the defense of a shield, mauls and/or claids... actually, does anyone know if you can 1625 a claid and make it sanctified and able to hit undead?! (Holy shit, that'd be awesome if you could!)

CMans are fairly dependent on what sort of weapon(s) you use. Surge of Strength is common CMan used all around... extra strength is always handy, boosting how much you can carry before encumbrance hits and upping your AS. Precision can be useful, depending on your weapon choice. Charge, if your using a (puncturing?) polearm. Bullrush, I believe, is also praised as being useful. Weapon Specialization for the extra AS & CML off/def.-ness. Toughness for extra hitpoints (which you may want, since your Constitution is on the low side). If you find you need an extra bump in your TD, Combat Focus may be worth a few points (+2 TD per rank).

As for lores: I, personally, haven't trained in any (at level 50). I do plan on training in them, but my training plan is very stripped for points, so I have no idea when I'll be getting to them. I'm hoping for 35 in all of the spirit lores. My suggestion is if you find extra points along the way, and have nothing else to put them in, put them into your lores. (I would also suggest not going over your level+1 in spells, as that will, I believe, negate your chance of getting Paldux... someone correct me if I'm wrong though, please.) Carabele has put together a page with all the spells and their lore benefits here (http://carabele.com/odds/LoreBenefits.htm).

thefarmer
03-22-2008, 10:34 PM
actually, does anyone know if you can 1625 a claid and make it sanctified and able to hit undead?! (Holy shit, that'd be awesome if you could!)

Yes.

I did it for a lot of levels with a rank 5 paladin bond.

Go up to 1640.

Being able to unstun yourself from just about any attack for 30 mana and no rt is worth a few points of spirit TD and useless minor spirit filler.

Back
03-22-2008, 10:38 PM
If you go sword and board I would recommend picking up shield bash. Other than that precision and weapon specialization as previously mentioned are great for the cost.

mgoddess
03-22-2008, 10:39 PM
actually, does anyone know if you can 1625 a claid and make it sanctified and able to hit undead?! (Holy shit, that'd be awesome if you could!)

Yes.

I did it for a lot of levels with a rank 5 paladin bond.

Hot damn, that is awesome.