PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Divisive Dem Contest Could Boost McCain

zhelas
03-21-2008, 09:36 AM
By Fred Lucas
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
March 21, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - The lengthy Democratic primary contest bodes well for Republican chances of holding the White House, a new poll suggests.

As Democratic Senators Barack Obama of Illinois and Hillary Clinton of New York slug it out for the nomination, many of their supporters -- at least in Pennsylvania, site of the next major primary -- aren't committed to the party's ticket in November, according to a Franklin & Marshall College Poll.

Among Obama supporters, 20 percent said they would vote for Sen. John McCain of Arizona, the Republican nominee, if Clinton beats their candidate for the nomination. Among Clinton supporters, 19 percent said they would support McCain in November if Obama is the Democratic nominee. (See poll)http://edisk.fandm.edu/FLI/keystone/pdf/keymar08_1.pdf

The significant number of potential defectors underscores how divisive the Democratic primary has been.

Democrats won Pennsylvania in the 2000 and 2004 presidential races, but it was a competitive state in both election cycles. McCain, meanwhile, has touted his appeal to swing voters.

"Pennsylvania is a must-win state for a Democratic presidential nominee," Nathan Gonzalez, political editor of the Rothenberg Political Report, told Cybercast News Service. "If there is a significant weakness for a Democrat in Pennsylvania, it could indicate a weakness in Ohio or other key states."

Even a few months ago, the presidential race looked like a major uphill climb for any Republican candidate. But recent polls http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/national.htmlsuggest a toss-up between McCain and either Democratic candidate.

Obama and Clinton both have many negatives, which doesn't make the Pennsylvania poll too surprising, said Doris Graber, a political science professor at the University of Illinois.

"Obama is very liberal, more liberal than we've seen on the campaign trail. Also, there is still racism out there," Graber told Cybercast News Service . "Hillary, we've known all along, has strong supporters. But there are also a lot of people who would never vote for her. There is some antipathy from the Clinton years. Some wouldn't vote for her because she's a woman."

Graber believes it is "almost a certainty" that the Obama-Clinton battle will be decided at the Democratic National Convention, which could drive a wedge through the party.

"Democratic voters could be persuaded not to vote for a candidate with vulnerabilities," she continued. "A vote for McCain wouldn't be that difficult. He does appeal to the middle."

However, Gonzales cautioned not to read too much into a single poll, or discount the desire of Democratic voters to move beyond the George W. Bush years, of which McCain has become the heir.

"This is a very personal and competitive Democratic primary," he said. "Clinton and Obama supporters have trouble seeing themselves with the other now. A healing period will have to happen."

Clove
03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
lolzers. I guess this bizarre perception isn't unique to Ilvane. Must be a general defect of Democrats. Impressive show of party solidarity.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-21-2008, 09:45 AM
That's kind of an obvious article too. The more two people tear each other down, the better another not involved person looks? Dur.

Latrinsorm
03-21-2008, 10:09 AM
I think it has less to do with them trying to tear each other down and more to do with people recognizing that although Sens Obama and Clinton have the same letter after their name they are in fact quite dissimilar.

Clove
03-21-2008, 10:14 AM
I think it has less to do with them trying to tear each other down and more to do with people recognizing that although Sens Obama and Clinton have the same letter after their name they are in fact quite dissimilar.

Yeah, they have pretty opposite goals as Democrats. Hillary thinks she should be President, and Obama thinks he should be President.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-21-2008, 10:16 AM
They both have a set of balls though.

Clove
03-21-2008, 10:39 AM
They both have a set of balls though.

QFT. They should be focusing on their similarities.

Back
03-21-2008, 10:41 AM
McCain doesn't stand a chance against either of them if campaign contributions are any indication.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-21-2008, 10:45 AM
McCain doesn't stand a chance against either of them if campaign contributions are any indication.

LOL. I remember similar pontifications from you last election about Gore.

Keller
03-21-2008, 10:49 AM

It's a damn good thing they aren't.

If I was certain I was going to vote for McCain I sure as hell wouldn't give him a dime yet. If Hillary wins the nomination I'd save my money for McCain's re-election bid in 2012.

Gan
03-21-2008, 10:49 AM

ROFL

DONT MESS WITH THE PC PUNDIT!!!!!

Back
03-21-2008, 11:03 AM

ROFL

DONT MESS WITH THE PC PUNDIT!!!!!

Hm. Last election was Bush/Kerry and I honestly don’t recall saying that then. When it was Bush/Gore I don’t even think I was posting on The Spot yet.

Obama has raised $55 million, Clinton $35 million and McCain $11 million as of February. You’ll recall my post saying IF contributions were an indication. Its noteworthy but not decisive. Nothing more.

Gan
03-21-2008, 11:25 AM
You’ll recall my post saying IF contributions were an indication. Its noteworthy but not decisive. Nothing more.

No, thats not what you said at all. You were quite decisive in your opinion. See below.

You really should stay out of the politics folder.

Keller
03-21-2008, 11:38 AM
No, thats not what you said at all. You were quite decisive in your opinion. See below.

You really should stay out of the politics folder.

If there was a "Gan is correct here" stock, I'd sell it pronto.

Back
03-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Ok... what the hell just happened?

Oh, right. Gotcha Gan. Keep up the good work.

Gan
03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Ok... what the hell just happened?

Oh, right. Gotcha Gan. Keep up the good work.

Whatever you say there.... Pundit.

TheEschaton
03-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Did you notice the "if" right after the part you bolded. Do you know that prepositional phrases are sometimes put at the end of sentences?

Clove
03-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Did you notice the "if" right after the part you bolded. Do you know that prepositional phrases are sometimes put at the end of sentences?

I noticed the "if" too but apparently its significance was lost on Gan and myself. Of course his statement didn't appear to be humor or a hypothetical just because it contained an "if". It wasn't like he said, "IF being white and old is what wins elections there will be no beating McCain."

My interpretation was that Back's opinion was McCain stood no chance by virtue of the difference in campaign contributions and that the "if" was there because there was no way he could prove it. I guess I got it wrong, damn italics.

Back
03-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Thank you, Clove, for admitting to your misunderstanding. No one is perfect.

Warriorbird
03-21-2008, 04:54 PM
This thread =

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z261/pakuorg/fail.jpg

Gan
03-21-2008, 05:00 PM
I noticed the "if" too but apparently its significance was lost on Gan and myself. Of course his statement didn't appear to be humor or a hypothetical just because it contained an "if". It wasn't like he said, "IF being white and old is what wins elections there will be no beating McCain."

My interpretation was that Back's opinion was McCain stood no chance by virtue of the difference in campaign contributions and that the "if" was there because there was no way he could prove it. I guess I got it wrong, damn italics.

My interpretation was as you stated in bold.

Back
03-21-2008, 06:14 PM
What do you think, Gan? Should I carry around Clove’s admission of a mistake like some kind of badge of honor? Or just simply call it what it was... a simple misunderstanding?

Keller
03-21-2008, 08:26 PM
What do you think, Gan? Should I carry around Clove’s admission of a mistake like some kind of badge of honor? Or just simply call it what it was... a simple misunderstanding?

If Clove has risen to the level of internet nemesis you could just put it as a quote in your signature.

Snapp
03-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Internet nemesis, lol.

Wheres the internet serious business pic?

And I misunderstood Back's post the first time I read it too.

Back
03-21-2008, 09:21 PM
If Clove has risen to the level of internet nemesis you could just put it as a quote in your signature.

If someone on the internet considers me their nemesis... I have bad news for them. There are no greater nemeses than myself.

Gan
03-21-2008, 11:45 PM

First off, I dont call it a mistake, so the admission was for nothing.

Secondly, you're hardly one to point out another's faults whether they exist or not.

Back
03-21-2008, 11:50 PM
http://www.tobyspinks.com/images/oreally.jpg

Gan
03-22-2008, 12:00 AM
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icnewcastle/jun2005/2/2/000B0678-2CB7-12A8-AB6080C328EC0000.jpg

YA RLY.

Stanley Burrell
03-22-2008, 12:02 AM
http://www.tobyspinks.com/images/oreally.jpg

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icnewcastle/jun2005/2/2/000B0678-2CB7-12A8-AB6080C328EC0000.jpg

YA RLY.

http://blogs.nypost.com/fashion/archives/Picture%205.jpg

OOOKAY.

Back
03-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Don’t have a seizure dude. I just asked a simple question.

Gan
03-22-2008, 12:04 AM
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/cheezeguy/n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

Back
03-22-2008, 12:05 AM

YA RLY.

What would you have done in my place?

Gan
03-22-2008, 12:07 AM

What would you have done in my place?

1. Never come back after I told everyone I was leaving.
2. Never come back after I was then banned.
3. Wash my hair.
4. Quit posting in the politics folder.
5. Get laid, repeatedly.
6. Goto 1

Back
03-22-2008, 12:17 AM
1. Never come back after I told everyone I was leaving.
2. Never come back after I was then banned.
3. Wash my hair.
4. Quit posting in the politics folder.
5. Get laid, repeatedly.
6. Goto 1

Thats the Gan. You go! Forget the fact that you were wrong. Forget the fact that if you were in my position you would log and frame a post and put it on your wall as some kind of accomplishment.

Clove FTW.

Gan
03-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Thats the Gan. You go! Forget the fact that you were wrong. Forget the fact that if you were in my position you would log and frame a post and put it on your wall as some kind of accomplishment.

Clove FTW.

LOL

Dont flatter yourself.

Mostly you're a simple form of entertainment now. I'm glad you didnt leave. We need our comedy relief, and you make a great alternative from laughing at TheE all the time.

Back
03-22-2008, 12:24 AM
And I knew when you were caught being bold faced wrong you would never admit it.

And tomorrow is another day.

Gan
03-22-2008, 12:26 AM
You're right, I've never owned up to being wrong. /sarcasm

Back
03-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Apology accepted. :)

TheEschaton
03-22-2008, 12:54 AM
LOL

Dont flatter yourself.

Mostly you're a simple form of entertainment now. I'm glad you didnt leave. We need our comedy relief, and you make a great alternative from laughing at TheE all the time.

But I've never made it to your sig! :( le'crie.

-TheE-

Parkbandit
03-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Your quote of something like 'I'll take my fantasy world when this world is unjust' was in signature line for quite a while. I think it took xtc and his 'freedom of speech is alive and well in Iran' to knock it off.

Keller
03-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Your quote of something like 'I'll take my fantasy world when this world is unjust' was in signature line for quite a while. I think it took xtc and his 'freedom of speech is alive and well in Iran' to knock it off.

This lesson in internet nemesii history has been brought to you by Parkbandit.

Gan
03-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Apology accepted. :)

Apology never given.

Gan
03-22-2008, 03:24 PM
But I've never made it to your sig! :( le'crie.

-TheE-

Thats ok, you've put me in yours. That should be enough for you.

TheEschaton
03-22-2008, 03:50 PM
But...but...I hoped the attention would get you to reciprocate?!??!? Don't you know anything about internet nemesising???

Gan
03-22-2008, 04:01 PM
But...but...I hoped the attention would get you to reciprocate?!??!? Don't you know anything about internet nemesising???

Sorry, you're still lacking in that department.

I may find you stupid, but I dont find you monumental or infamously stupid (yet). So you still have work to do to get in my sig list. And even then, I only hold 2 spots for stupidity.

The other 2 spots are for really good responses - something you'll never aspire to, so dont even think about getting on there.

Back
03-22-2008, 04:10 PM
I have sigs turned off because frankly some of them, specifically the sigs that take up more space than posts, are annoying. I have avatars and pics turned off because while I never tire of boobies its embarrassing when I browse the forum in public on my laptop which is quite often. That and I don’t want goatse thrown in my face unexpectedly.

Nieninque
03-22-2008, 04:13 PM
You're all fucking stupid.
The Politics folder is the most stupid of the stupidest folders on these boards.
People with half a page in their sigs are fucking stupid.
This whole place is stupid.
Fuck!

p.s. Backlash is stupidest.

Back
03-22-2008, 04:17 PM
And Nien is the cuntiest. :heart:

Gan
03-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Oh God, here he goes again with stalking Nien.

:lol:

Nieninque
03-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Fuck Slacklash

Parkbandit
03-22-2008, 04:44 PM

:rofl: @ nemesising. I didn't put your post up in my sig because I think you are my nemesis. I put it there because it was one of the dumbest things I've read on these forums... yet something very telling about your posts.

Back
03-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Eliza had a certain charm before Professor Higgins.

Nieninque
03-22-2008, 04:53 PM
You flatter yourself.

And underestimate me...still.

Back
03-22-2008, 04:55 PM
rofl. I think you flatter yourself. If I am anyone in that play its Zolton.

Nieninque
03-22-2008, 04:57 PM
If you are anyone in that play, its the scrub that sweeps up after everyone has left the theatre.

Back
03-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Its a tough job after everyone gets sight of your knees.

http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/img/site/78/68/0000037868_20070216115826.jpg

Nieninque
03-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Dont make me post actual photos of you, Dear Slacklash.

Back
03-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Do try to contain yourself, Ms. Moneypenny. Q will never let me hear the end of it.

Keller
03-22-2008, 05:36 PM
And Gan has freed two nemisii spots for the taking. To whom shall the honor go?

I will rest this night and tomorrow I shall give it my best effort.

(5 beers + 3 hrs of John Adams = Keller thinks he's funnier than he actually is)

Gan
03-22-2008, 06:51 PM
And Gan has freed two nemisii spots for the taking. To whom shall the honor go?

I will rest this night and tomorrow I shall give it my best effort.

(5 beers + 3 hrs of John Adams = Keller thinks he's funnier than he actually is)

Good luck. And may the force be with you.

Clove
03-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I have sigs turned off because frankly some of them, specifically the sigs that take up more space than posts, are annoying. I have avatars and pics turned off because while I never tire of boobies its embarrassing when I browse the forum in public on my laptop which is quite often. That and I don’t want goatse thrown in my face unexpectedly.

Well thanks, I needed a tall, cold glass of "Who the Fuck Cares?"

Who said you made a mistake? And for that matter, who said I did. I explained why I interpreted your statement the way I did (and I honestly doubt I read you wrong). I said you put the "if" in your sentence to denote an opinion, not a fact that could be sourced. Gan seemed to interpret the same way.

And it did appear, pretty plainly to be an opinion statement. Not unlike, "Chocolate is the best flavor of ice cream if the opinions of my coworkers mean anything." is an expression that in your experience chocolate is a favored flavor, but you really don't have any "proof" beyond your opinion and limited observations. It wasn't really a very cryptic post.

You try to defend yourself like a Jr. High School student sometimes, "Wait, wait, wait, I only said I heard Mrs. Pitzer was a cunt... I never called her that!!!1!1!!!"

Mr. Dennit, with all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' it with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on. - Ricky Bobby "Talladega Nights"

Back
03-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah. Its all pretty silly. Mountains out of molehills. Like the actual topic of this thread.

TheEschaton
03-23-2008, 01:27 PM
See, Clove? He now thinks he's WTFPWNED you.

Parkbandit
03-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Good to see the old Backlash again. I was actually getting tired of the one that barely posted in the political threads and didn't have any drama.

Welcome back, our beloved Queen.