PDA

View Full Version : Damn you downtime!

TheEschaton
03-18-2008, 11:23 AM
<twitch>

I was just getting into dailies and learning the ins and outs of PvP. Grrr.

BTW, is all the stuff in the Hall of Legends geared towards PvP combat? Or can it be good PvE gear too? In fact, wtf is the difference between the two? What stats/skills are more/less important in PvP?

AnticorRifling
03-18-2008, 11:33 AM
<twitch>

BTW, is all the stuff in the Hall of Legends geared towards PvP combat? Or can it be good PvE gear too? In fact, wtf is the difference between the two? What stats/skills are more/less important in PvP?

Hall of legends gear is for PvP. It will work starting into PvE but it's not optimal. Resilience doesn't mean crap in PvE (unless you're a druid tank then it has some use). All the stam is nice but not needed, you shouldn't be taking more than some splash/aoe damage in PvE. PvP gear lacks + hit and +spell hit which are the best way to increase your DPS as a melee or caster (until you reach the respective hit cap).

In PvP you want 2 things.

1) Burst damage IE crit/spell crit and AP/Spell damage. Now because resilience is so abundant I would rank AP/spell damage > crit/spell crit.

2) Survivability. Stamina, the ability to soak damage and resilience the PvP way to mitigate damage.

Also note when I say AP (melee) that also means the respective stats to raise AP (str, agi). Depending on class raw stats are generally better than just +AP for a few reasons; more than just an AP boost (dodge, armor, etc), and they get the benefit of blessing of kings where raw AP does not.

Some Rogue
03-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I've done dailies til my eyes bleed. I can't do it anymore. I haven't logged in in almost 5 days now and I'm not missing it all that much heh. WoW IS DEAD TO ME.

As for the pvp gear, resilience blows for pve.

About the only good things for PvE there are the weapons.

Alfster
03-18-2008, 01:06 PM
I've done dailies til my eyes bleed. I can't do it anymore. I haven't logged in in almost 5 days now and I'm not missing it all that much heh. WoW IS DEAD TO ME.

Good thing Age of Conan is coming soon.

Nieninque
03-18-2008, 01:14 PM
<twitch>

The ins and outs of PvP are learned on the shimmering flats and stonetalon. By the time you reach 70, you should have a good grounding and be in the fine tuning stage of your PvP skills.

Of course, the majority of people never reach this stage, because when faced with an equal battle, they log on their level 70's and so only learn that if in doubt, get your 70 to sort it out. Unfortunately, at level 70, they are fucked.

Some of the arena gear is as good as, if not better than PvE gear for PvE.
Two of the priests in Blacklist are using the s3 weapons for PvE.
Of course, that takes a lot of work to get that kind of gear, but there you go.
At the end of the day, welfare epics from PvP > level 65 greens.

Some Rogue
03-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Good thing Age of Conan is coming soon.

Meh, just another grind most likely. Doubt I'll pick it up. Don't think my computer would even run it either.

Xaerve
03-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Its hardly just another grind, the PvP System in Age of Conan looks absolutely incredible.

I also really enjoyed the wow story line, the first time through.

Parkbandit
03-18-2008, 02:19 PM
The ins and outs of PvP are learned on the shimmering flats and stonetalon. By the time you reach 70, you should have a good grounding and be in the fine tuning stage of your PvP skills.

Of course, the majority of people never reach this stage, because when faced with an equal battle, they log on their level 70's and so only learn that if in doubt, get your 70 to sort it out. Unfortunately, at level 70, they are fucked.

Sounds like something that piece of shit Nekk would do. God, he's pathetic.

And TheE.. for a rogue, the pvp stuff is very easy to attain and probably something that will be better than most gear you have access to currently.

Alfster
03-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Meh, just another grind most likely. Doubt I'll pick it up. Don't think my computer would even run it either.

It's a totally different type of combat system. From what I've seen it's far from a grind you negative nancy.

Alfster
03-18-2008, 02:22 PM
speaking of grinds, around what time is the next season of arena suppose to start?

Some Rogue
03-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Sounds like something that piece of shit Nekk would do. God, he's pathetic.

Or I could be like you and call in half my guild, people on general chat and any friend I have to come help.....

Parkbandit
03-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Or I could be like you and call in half my guild, people on general chat and any friend I have to come help.....

That was a low blow... and something that only happened maybe three times in the past week.

Kyra231
03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Of course my server is down on the ext. maint list for once..so off I go to work a bit on my <cough> alliance priest on dune maul...get stuck in loot stance permanently with pw:s up while dune maul slooowly crashes.

So much for that idea :tumble:

~K.

Parkbandit
03-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Ohhhhh... who pray tell is your alliance priest on Dumemaul. I should introduce myself :P

ELO
03-18-2008, 05:53 PM
What's the point of them doing all this maintenance if all the do is fucking break it every week?

Parkbandit
03-18-2008, 06:09 PM
God.. it's painful as hell to play right now. It's on the brink of a crash imo.

Asha
03-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I don't think I've ever had lag as bad in SW or any other big city as I have lately.
Maybe slightly off topic since I'm EU, pardon that.

Parkbandit
03-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Aaaand...

CRASH.

Knew it was only a matter of time.

Nieninque
03-18-2008, 07:29 PM
I didnt crash. Been in game since it came back up.

TheEschaton
03-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Anyone wanna explain the difference between seasons, and if/why s1 < s2 < s3, so on, so forth?

Makkah
03-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Garbage ass game.

Parkbandit
03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Garbage ass game.

Um.. this is a thread about World of Warcraft.. not Gemstone IV.

Thanks.

Nieninque
03-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Anyone wanna explain the difference between seasons, and if/why s1 < s2 < s3, so on, so forth?

Each season was released after the previous one and so has better gear as an incentive for people to keep playing the same old shit day in day out.

For a law student (you are a law student, right?) you don't half ask some stupid fucking questions.

Parkbandit
03-18-2008, 08:34 PM
He is? When did we hear about this new revelation!?

Tsa`ah
03-18-2008, 09:27 PM

Unfortunately this "equal battle" you speak of is almost non-existent. When grinding the lowbie levels, rarely have I ever been attacked by a lone toon near my level. Generally "equal" translates into similar level but very uneven odds.

It doesn't matter where you are, if you're ganked by a like level toon .... there are almost always 2-3 more like level toons that will wait around to kill you if you win or just say fuck it and gang rape you. This 1v1 is almost always pitted in the favor of the ganker with 10+ levels of his/her target.

Equal odds rarely occurs below cap .... and is sort of uncommon at cap.

In essence it's nothing more than a carrot on a stick. Each season's gear is progressively better but some pieces (arena gear) require a personal rating to buy (not sure if that rating has to be maintained or not).

Here's the big difference between end game raid gear and pvp gear .... you're not likely to get shit stomped by a PvE twink in a BG wearing T5 if you're in PvP gear .... likely you'll edge them out 1v1. You'll survive longer wearing PvP gear in a gang bang.

I haven't bothered logging on in weeks, but I generally only wear pvp gear in BGs or if I'm attempting to grind the daily list off in peak hours (or if there are ass hats trying for the opportunistic gank). Outside of that I'll wear whatever gear offers the most crit/hit/damage.

As mentioned, pvp gear is generally loaded with stam ... welfare pvp merchant items also have resiliance. Neither are really needed in pve unless you're a tank or careless melee damage dealer.

Some Rogue
03-18-2008, 09:54 PM
You never need resilience for pve.

And that response is a typical ranged person. "Careless" melee? There's quite a bit of AoE damage/cleaves you can't avoid. And some of the higher end encounters require everyone to have some stam or you'll never survive.

Nieninque
03-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Unfortunately this "equal battle" you speak of is almost non-existent. When grinding the lowbie levels, rarely have I ever been attacked by a lone toon near my level. Generally "equal" translates into similar level but very uneven odds.

It doesn't matter where you are, if you're ganked by a like level toon .... there are almost always 2-3 more like level toons that will wait around to kill you if you win or just say fuck it and gang rape you. This 1v1 is almost always pitted in the favor of the ganker with 10+ levels of his/her target.

Equal odds rarely occurs below cap .... and is sort of uncommon at cap.

I have had several 1v1's as I have been levelling up this last week. Have had some good fights (a druid in STV and a rogue in Ashenvale were particularly good encounters). I took on and killed a equal levelled priest who was with a warrior in Shimmering Flats. Killed the priest a few times but couldnt get the warrior down quick enough before the priest rezzed (we were close to the GY). As I killed the priest for the fourth time, the warrior logged out and spent the next hour and a half trying to find me on his level 70 druid.

Have seen alliance do the same thing. It's pretty pathetic.

Some Rogue
03-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I have had several 1v1's as I have been levelling up this last week. Have had some good fights (a druid in STV and a rogue in Ashenvale were particularly good encounters). I took on and killed a equal levelled priest who was with a warrior in Shimmering Flats. Killed the priest a few times but couldnt get the warrior down quick enough before the priest rezzed (we were close to the GY). As I killed the priest for the fourth time, the warrior logged out and spent the next hour and a half trying to find me on his level 70 druid.

Have seen alliance do the same thing. It's pretty pathetic.

I thought you quit...again.

Addict. :bleh:

Tsa`ah
03-18-2008, 10:52 PM
You never need resilience for pve.

And that response is a typical ranged person. "Careless" melee? There's quite a bit of AoE damage/cleaves you can't avoid. And some of the higher end encounters require everyone to have some stam or you'll never survive.

Don't go getting all butthurt on me. I didn't mention unavoidable damage for a reason. I'm talking about the ferals, rogues, and fury/arms that don't understand their addons and health bars or their priority when it comes to healing. It wasn't an all encompassing statement for melee.

The point was that the stam and armor boosts that PvP gear offers (and occasionally res) a good buffer for the new raider until they can figure out their roll in PvE.

Hence the rhetoric used .... almost.

AnticorRifling
03-19-2008, 09:02 AM
TheE if you haven't seen it www.wowhead.com learn it, love it.

Season 1 gladiator X
Season 2 Merciless gladiator X
Season 3 Vengeful gladiator X
Season 4 Brutal gladiator X (not released yet)

Like mentioned above it's just slight improvements as incentive to keep playing.

Purchasing arena gear works like this; There are three tiers of cost associated to arena gear:

Current Season costs the most arena points
Previous Season is moved to a reduced arena point cost
Two seasons old and it's moved to honor points to purchase

Example:
When Season 1 came out a season 1 helm cost 1875 arena points.

Season 2 gets released now the season 2 helm costs 1875 and the season 1 helm is reduced to 1500(example number) arena points.

Season 3 gets released now the season 3 helm costs 1875, the season 2 helm costs 1500 arena points, and the season 1 helm now costs 20,000 honor and some battleground tokens.

As for PvP gear you've got 5 armorslots that are from arena (excluding season 1 which is now honor) helm, shoulders, chest, hands, and legs. Weapons/off hands are also arena points. The other pieces are from honor (neck, bracers, belt, boots, trinkets + rings)

The honor pieces (neck, etc) get upgraded each season as well and they follow the same reduced cost over time model as the arena gear.

One caveat to this system. As of Season 3 a restriction was put in place when it came to the purchase of season 3 shoulders and weapons/offhands. You have to have a personal rating of 1850 to purchase weapons/offhands, and a personal rating of 2000 to purchase shoulders.
In the arena system there are two types of ratings. Team ratings and personal ratings. A team rating is what determines the amount of points you get for the week and it is also used to match up opposing teams. A personal rating is per indvidual and is based upon games played, contribution, etc. If you switch teams your personal rating is reset to the benchmark 1500. The hope of this was to limit the appeal of point selling (buying the time of a well geared person for your low team to farm points or getting a seat on a high rated team to earn a ton of points for the week). It's not flawless and the sytem is still being gamed but it does help.

Nieninque
03-19-2008, 09:21 AM
I thought you quit...again.

Addict. :bleh:

I suck at being a quitter.

AnticorRifling
03-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I suck at being a quitter.
Now if only we could get Nekk to quit at being a sucker.

Some Rogue
03-19-2008, 09:37 AM
I did, I quit playing WoW.

Oh, Anticor...
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/lrenzo2/koolaid5b.jpg

AnticorRifling
03-19-2008, 09:43 AM
I hate you.

You quit Wow? Back to GS or did you find another electronic addiction?

Trouble
03-19-2008, 09:45 AM
I did, I quit playing WoW.

You cancel the account yet? That would be a good first step. Selling/deleting it would be more effective.

Are you back to GS full time?

Nieninque
03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
You cancel the account yet? That would be a good first step. Selling/deleting it would be more effective.

That worked for me for a while, then someone gave me use of another account.
I need to delete ventrilo, that would be the key for me.

Some Rogue
03-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I hate you.

You quit Wow? Back to GS or did you find another electronic addiction?

Yeah, been playing GS.

Are you back to GS full time?

No, not canceled yet. Hell, I'll probably log in this weekend. Just haven't had any motivation to do it the last week or so heh.

Some Rogue
03-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Oh, and no, you can't have my stuff. Or my gold. :lol:

Trouble
03-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Just haven't had any motivation to do it the last week or so heh.

Yeah I've only been logging in for the 25-man raids lately and thankfully they only do those 3 days a week.

It looks like Dar quit on us too. :(

AnticorRifling
03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah I haven't seen Dar log in recently. I think I'll have to report him.

AnticorRifling
03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
So out of morbid curiousity I looked at my GS account... I've got a character on there I don't, in any way shape or form, remember. Malifesto Killifesto weird.