PDA

View Full Version : What site do you use to buy hardware?

Drew
03-16-2008, 06:52 AM
I need to buy four 1 TB hard drives and I haven't bought any hardware for a while, what sites do you guys generally find the best deals on?

Tsa`ah
03-16-2008, 08:00 AM
If you don't want the bullshit hassles such as paying the return shipping of DOA items ... Newegg.com. They're pretty damned prompt issuing an RMA with shipping tag.

Outside of that, I use pricewatch.com ... just be sure to read the feedback and not gamble with your cash. Sometimes the extra 10-20 bucks is worth avoiding headache.

Refurb Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB Serial ATA / SATA Hard Drive, 7200RPM, 32MB (http://www.unityelectronics.com/product-product_id/4604/m/Hitachi/p/0A33863_R) $215 plus shipping.

List of 1tb SATA hds .... http://www.pricewatch.com/hard_removable_drives/sata_1tb.htm

But as I said ... go with Newegg and save yourself the potential headache.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%20103530090&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Khariz
03-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Still usually newegg.com or tigerdirect.com

Sean
03-16-2008, 12:59 PM
i havn't bought hardware in awhile but when i did i liked mwave.com

Trouble
03-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I usually do newegg.

BigWorm
03-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, Newegg is the best place to go with. They usually have everything in stock and at really good prices. Only thing I think they are high on is CPUs, but you know you're getting the real product from them, unlike with Pricewatch. As have been mentioned, Tigerdirect is another good one and I have also had positive experiences with Zipzoomfly and Geeks.com

Bobmuhthol
03-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Newegg.

mgoddess
03-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Haven't bought hardware in a while, but I've always used NewEgg... even when I'm just "window shopping."

Numbers
03-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Agree with everyone else, Newegg seems to be the best. As long as you don't mind a shit ton of packing peanuts. But they ship super fast. My last two orders with them with free standard shipping had the items to me the next day.

diethx
03-16-2008, 06:11 PM
I probably won't ever buy from Newegg again. I just had a crappy experience last time I tried. I was trying to upgrade a processor and I received 3 DOA's in a row. I had originally paid a lot of extra $$ for the overnight or two day or whatever shipping option, and after 3-4 weeks of trading processors I still didn't have one that worked. I was in a bit of a rush to get it done, too. I was really unhappy that after the second DOA, they wouldn't immediately ship out a replacement. They still had to receive the dead one, and they wouldn't give me a label for overnight return shipping on any of them. I know shit happens, but it was just a huge waste of my time :/

Bobmuhthol
03-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Maybe you just don't know wtf you're doing?

diethx
03-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Maybe you just don't know wtf you're doing?

Even if that were the case, which it isn't (since it's not fucking brain surgery putting in a new processor), I was actually having my fiance do all the work because he knows his way around the inside of a computer much better than I do and because i'm always nervous i'll fuck something up. And he knows exactly what he's doing ;)

Bobmuhthol
03-16-2008, 06:19 PM
<<(since it's not fucking brain surgery putting in a new processor)>>

You'd be surprised how many people buy shit that's incompatible with their system and blame the manufacturer.

diethx
03-16-2008, 06:41 PM
<<(since it's not fucking brain surgery putting in a new processor)>>

You'd be surprised how many people buy shit that's incompatible with their system and blame the manufacturer.

Oh, yeah that definitely wasn't the case. While I can't build a computer from scratch all on my own (or at least, I doubt so, but I haven't tried), I do know how to upgrade parts. I made sure all was compatible (I had to since the computer I was trying to upgrade was OLD). I just got insanely unlucky with 3 DOA's in a row, and they didn't make the process easier. Just turned me off towards them. I'm sure this is not something that happens all the time, though.

BigWorm
03-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Oh, yeah that definitely wasn't the case. While I can't build a computer from scratch all on my own (or at least, I doubt so, but I haven't tried), I do know how to upgrade parts. I made sure all was compatible (I had to since the computer I was trying to upgrade was OLD). I just got insanely unlucky with 3 DOA's in a row, and they didn't make the process easier. Just turned me off towards them. I'm sure this is not something that happens all the time, though.

Seating a CPU and attaching the heatsink is by far the hardest part of building a computer from scratch, so if you feel comfortable doing that, you could handle the rest. I'm the first to admit that Newegg's policy on CPU returns is strange (their policy on everything else is STELLAR), but three DOA sounds really unlikely. However, I don't know enough about the situation to really say who was right.

The last time I built a server, I got a retail AMD chip from Newegg and had no troubles at all. The last desktop I put together I got a CPU off Pricewatch, but I didn't go with the cheapest vendor, rather I went for the cheapest one that had a feedback level I felt comfortable with. This wasn't with a bleeding edge processor though and I got it for almost half the price of what Newegg was offering it for.

kheldarin
03-17-2008, 03:51 AM
I've had NOTHING but positive experiences with Newegg. Since I live in Hawaii, shipping from Tigerdirect is downright insane. Every once in awhile I go to zipzoomfly.com. They sometimes have awesome deals, plus their shipping is fast AND cheap.