PDA

View Full Version : H&R Block

The Ponzzz
03-15-2008, 09:44 PM
So, I got my taxes done finally... I have a question about H&R Block...

I have used them for the past 3 years now, and this year it was really fucking expensive. Was $210 to file my return... Last year it was only $165. Why the sudden increase? Both years I needed the same amount of forms (W-2, Commission 1099, and school (Iforget the form)). They claimed it was a NYS filing fee.

Also, the Emerald Card. Why am I forced to get my federal return on this Emerald Card? I was told I can't get a check or the instant return (I didn't want instant). They claim no fees on this card, but it has me thinking I'm about to lose a shit load of money because H&R Block wants to screw me over...

Sthrockmorton
03-15-2008, 10:10 PM
So, I got my taxes done finally... I have a question about H&R Block...

I have used them for the past 3 years now, and this year it was really fucking expensive. Was $210 to file my return... Last year it was only $165. Why the sudden increase? Both years I needed the same amount of forms (W-2, Commission 1099, and school (Iforget the form)). They claimed it was a NYS filing fee.

Also, the Emerald Card. Why am I forced to get my federal return on this Emerald Card? I was told I can't get a check or the instant return (I didn't want instant). They claim no fees on this card, but it has me thinking I'm about to lose a shit load of money because H&R Block wants to screw me over...

Did you use the same agent? Or was it someone new? They should have filled you in on the direct deposit, which is the cheapest (no fee for it), and second fastest method they have.

Also, did you have any discounts last year?

I'll also say, the state fees vary more than the federal, so it is entirely possible the NYS fee increased...

The Ponzzz
03-15-2008, 11:06 PM
No, I'm in South Bend IN now, so I was forced to use a new agent.

They wouldn't offer me ANYTHING but this Emerald Card. Like, it was take the Emerald Card or forfeit my money.

diethx
03-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Your new avatar is awesome :heart:

The Ponzzz
03-15-2008, 11:08 PM
It's a PEEP SHOW!

diethx
03-15-2008, 11:10 PM
It's a PEEP SHOW!

Yeah, which is awesome :D

Back
03-15-2008, 11:13 PM
I used them once. Wasn’t really impressed. Then my taxes got more complicated (mortgage, capital developments, stocks) and I got a highly recommended referral to an awesome private tax guy. Been paying $250 a year and get a juicy return every time.

Ask around. You can definitely do better than H&R B if your tax forms start burying you.

Stretch
03-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Blame SHM.

Sean
03-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Blame SHM.

Shhh that mustang was expensive!

JohnDoe
03-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm going to assume they've raised prices to try to offset their losses related to the subprime meltdown (Option One) and less people being able to afford filing their tax returns through them this year. As a matter of fact, a guy who works for me moonlights for H&R Block during the tax season doing returns. He said it's been dead the past month or two, much different than the past 2-3 years.

And didn't the IRS put restrictions on Return Anticipation Loans (RALs) and their audit insurance? Can't remember and don't have the patience right now to look, but if so, that'd cut into their profits as well and may have contributed to higher return fees.

Actually...Ponzzz, was the amount you were getting back this year higher than last year? Obviously there's a minimum fee that they charge, but is their fee based on a percentage of how much you're refund is?

Sthrockmorton
03-15-2008, 11:36 PM
No, I'm in South Bend IN now, so I was forced to use a new agent.

They wouldn't offer me ANYTHING but this Emerald Card. Like, it was take the Emerald Card or forfeit my money.

That's kinda shady. They showed me about 6 different options for the return.

The Ponzzz
03-15-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm going to assume they've raised prices to try to offset their losses related to the subprime meltdown (Option One) and less people being able to afford filing their tax returns through them this year. As a matter of fact, a guy who works for me moonlights for H&R Block during the tax season doing returns. He said it's been dead the past month or two, much different than the past 2-3 years.

And didn't the IRS put restrictions on Return Anticipation Loans (RALs) and their audit insurance? Can't remember and don't have the patience right now to look, but if so, that'd cut into their profits as well and may have contributed to higher return fees.

Actually...Ponzzz, was the amount you were getting back this year higher than last year? Obviously there's a minimum fee that they charge, but is their fee based on a percentage of how much you're refund is?

No, I was close to paying this year. I made the majority of my money in commission, so the 1099 nearly killed me. Luckily, school and my base salary saved me. I'm getting back under $700 combined through federal and state.

Tsa`ah
03-16-2008, 02:32 AM
It sounds like one of those cases of "push this and don't offer any other options unless asked".

If you opted for the standard check in the mail from the IRS or direct deposit they would have only been able to collect the standard filing fees. You were hornswaggled into some sort of anticipatory loan ... and all of those fees associated with them.

As for the card ... ya, no fees on their end. You'll just be stuck with ATM and/or merchant fees.

The Ponzzz
03-16-2008, 02:55 AM
It sounds like one of those cases of "push this and don't offer any other options unless asked".

If you opted for the standard check in the mail from the IRS or direct deposit they would have only been able to collect the standard filing fees. You were hornswaggled into some sort of anticipatory loan ... and all of those fees associated with them.

As for the card ... ya, no fees on their end. You'll just be stuck with ATM and/or merchant fees.

I actually asked for just the standard check several times, they claimed that this was the only way they do it now.

I'll just be visiting them Monday morning.

Trouble
03-16-2008, 02:58 AM
When I checked out HR Block the dude said he just fills in the blanks and gets price at the end. I ended up doing TurboTax Online for about $200 less (for my tax situation). Perhaps I could have gotten another $100 in deductions by doing HR Block but it wasn't worth it to me considering the $79 or whatever it was price for TurboTax Online.

The Ponzzz
03-16-2008, 03:01 AM
My only issue is I have a lot of money (generally) under a 1099. I don't get taxed on my commission throughout the year. So I really really don't want to get auditted for a dumb mistake. The IRS charges 4% interest, daily on money you owe tham after April. $100 can add up to thousands a year or two down the road in IRS interest...

Also, I was talking with a buddy of mine and I feel I agree with him. I will just start looking into having an accountant or private CPA work for me for now on.

Trouble
03-16-2008, 03:04 AM
Yar I am 1099 myself and TurboTax online seems to handle it well.

Amaron
03-16-2008, 08:46 AM
I have always used H + R block and their free refiling paid off for us.

We realized after our taxes were filed that we had another large deduction we had not thought of, they refiled for free.

And when we first started with them they analized our previous years return that we had had someone else do and refiled it for free. We ended up with more money back in both cases.

But your office sounds shady. We always have a check sent in the mail.

J

Kyra231
03-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Sounds weird Mario, I've been using H&R for...19 years now & I've gotten then RAL or Emerald card a few times(usually in excess of $400 fee that way though).

I do know because of marriage changing my last name & the kids names being different they said the bank would not approve a RAL & direct deposit was the only option(aside from snail mail) we would have. I say call bullshit on the agent/place that told you that the rapid refund was the only way to go.

Good luck, sorry they fucked with you like that.

~K.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-16-2008, 11:18 AM
I actually asked for just the standard check several times, they claimed that this was the only way they do it now.

I'll just be visiting them Monday morning.

The emerald card is nice for unbanked folks (gives them a refillable card that can be used like a debit card). You definitely should go back on Monday and ask to speak with the office manager. Explain calmly what happened and that you felt like you were forced to take the card.

You may get a discount for the poor service, depends on the manager.

If you want, PM me the details and I can even call them on Monday and check it out. I'll need the Tax Professionals name and the office address you went too.

sst
03-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I filed three years of taxes at H&R block this year. You are not required to get the card...

The Ponzzz
03-16-2008, 01:53 PM
The emerald card is nice for unbanked folks (gives them a refillable card that can be used like a debit card). You definitely should go back on Monday and ask to speak with the office manager. Explain calmly what happened and that you felt like you were forced to take the card.

You may get a discount for the poor service, depends on the manager.

If you want, PM me the details and I can even call them on Monday and check it out. I'll need the Tax Professionals name and the office address you went too.

Wow, thanks Bill. If things don't go over nicely tomorrow, I'll PM you the details!