PDA

View Full Version : How should alterations be done?

SpunGirl
12-18-2003, 06:24 AM
This is long.

How should alterations be handled in GS4? For every person that's happy they got a unique item, I see 8,000,000 more (exaggeration, yes) who are pissed that they did not. Sometimes the reason is valid, IMO, and sometimes IMO they are whining.

I think it would be a good idea to have an auto-alteration "machine" or something in GS4. Have one in every town. You go to it, pay 50k or whatever, and type in what you want - it would work sort of like Sadie's scrolls, except it would be instantaneous.

This way, people could make totally unique and fantastic wardrobes and whatever else they wanted for their characters and no one would ever complain about not getting work done.

Merchants could be limited to weapon flares/weighting/et cetera, container deepening and other effects. They could also still do unique scripted items, like the Nalea gowns that did so well at the Artisan's Faire.

This would serve a lot of important functions. For example, it would force people to make items that are unique for their character. Alterations would no longer have an enormous resale value, and we wouldn't have to listen to hideous items being sold on the amunet anymore.

The only thing I DON'T like about this system is that if someone sees a great item description, they could copy it straightaway. That would be pretty lame, but then, there are a lot of lame people that play GS as well.

Lastly, if someone could just get what they wanted instantly, how would we guard against a purple-sequined go-go dress trimmed in orange fur? My thoughts are that the items made would be checked in bulk, once a week or some-such, by GMs with good taste (Andraste and Lothwyn-or-Voraviel are good examples). If you are found making a hideous item that you know is llegal, you get your alteration-machine priviledges taken away. If there is something wrong with it that just needs tweaking, tweaking will be made at the discretion of the GM. You would have to type YES or something before using the device in acknowledgement of these rules. Make them read something about shitty alterations, too.

I know this is a semi-absurd idea. But people whine about alterations all the time. This is all I could think of to solve the problem.

-K

SpunGirl
12-18-2003, 06:26 AM
Also, there could be coding in the machine that would guard against certain words. Flourescent, pulsating, et cetera.

And you can only use it twice a month.

I'm going to bed.

-K

StrayRogue
12-18-2003, 09:16 AM
HA, easily abusable. Try playing in an actual game where this system is run. MUD's are the worst by far. Trust me, even with certain words or materials being omitted, I can be incredibly rude, crude or whatever. While the idea is nice, your faifth in the abilities of your fellow players is laughable. Look at some of the alters already in the lands? What do you think would happen if people could have nearly full control over them themselves?

Wezas
12-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Wezas shows you his gem pouch, which has been made out of the emptied head of a dirt elf.

I think everyone should get one alter per year, given on their anniversary date, and reviewed by mentors/ghs/gms. Their promotion for bringing new people into the lands seems fitting, though an alter per invited guest seems a bit much.

I've been playing since 95, with the exception of a wedding ring from a girl I married in 96 I have no alters. She left that same year, so now I have 1/2 of a wedding ring set, no clue what to do with it. I've only been to one of those spin the bottle type of things, and was only there because I was dragged.

StrayRogue
12-18-2003, 09:42 AM
If you whine about not getting alters in GS, you are doing something so pathetically wrong its laughable. I can't count how many I've had. Its beyond 100, easily.

Now if you don't care about getting them at all, thats fine, they are sold quite often on the net. But if you whine, cry and moan, thats a whole other story. Going to merchant events guarantee's you atleast one or two, again, unless you are a complete muppet.

Hips
12-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
My thoughts are that the items made would be checked in bulk, once a week or some-such, by GMs with good taste (Andraste and Lothwyn-or-Voraviel are good examples).

<3 Voraviel's Verrath.

The problem with making a machine or automated process like that is people are going to definitely going to abuse it. I liked the idea of one guaranteed per year, on the character's birthday.

...Then again, I made two complete outfits for Michiko just from going to the Ebon Gate festival... so in my opinion, if people are that upset over not being spun for, they might as well just go to a pay event. There were even merchants that went out of their way to do work for people who hadn't had any services yet. :rolleyes:

Solkern
12-18-2003, 11:14 AM
I remember when alters were rare, now theres so many damn out there, it's not even funny, shit i remember when toys no matter what it was went for 50k at the least.
Alter are made by special people that come to the town and alter your gear, it should be maintained that way, rare valuable and special.

FatesClwn
12-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Ive been playing for... maybe 8 years. not really sure, but a while. Ive never been a premie, and i dont go merchant hunting. I have a single alter. I got it recently in my home town, River's Rest. The only reason i got it, was because the alterer was on REALLY late, and no one was going. Then a friend came up to me, said, "Hey alterer in the stone eye" and i went and got one. Now, to say i am doing somethign wrong isnt really right. i go about my business in the game, and rarely even get a chance at an alterer cause im not a premie. Im kinda poor, so i cant become a premie and get a bunch of alters, and i sure as hell cant afford a paid event. So what can i do to increase my chances of getting an alter?
And, you think ill ever see a merchant that will deepen something? add flares to something? lighten something? Fuck, ive never even seen an alterer thatll work of weapons or shields.

After playing as long as i have, id expect to have a larger collection of nice things, but i dont.
I really like the alterer machine idea, but i think itd have to be more limited, maybe 1 every 4 months or something. And it would have to be heavily regulated.
I also LOVE the idea of getting an alter every year, cause ive been playing and paying a while, and i deserve something for my time and cash.

Snapp
12-18-2003, 11:29 PM
People with 100 alters sit around for endless hours waiting on the merchants. It's not worth it at all. I have one alter, which I sat for WAAAY too many hours to get. It'll be my last alter if that's what it takes to get them.

Moist Happenings
12-18-2003, 11:52 PM
I think alters should be as rare as they were in 1994. When if you saw a Lord it was some big deal and REALLY COOL. Everyone being "special" takes a lot away from the game. Makes GETTING an alter mean less.

[Edited on 12-19-2003 by Neff]

The Cat In The Hat
12-20-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Neff
I think alters should be as rare as they were in 1994. When if you saw a Lord it was some big deal and REALLY COOL. Everyone being "special" takes a lot away from the game. Makes GETTING an alter mean less.

[Edited on 12-19-2003 by Neff]

I agree with this to a certain extent. Everything I wear is altered, none of them were bought, I had them all made myself. Mostly through paid events (Artesians and Ebon are the only ones Ive ever been to). I'm proud as hell of my alters and would never sell them. I even have a problem with giving them to my other characters because it wasnt made for them.

IMO alters should be coded to only be wearable by the person that got it. I fucking hate people that get alters just to sell them.'

Cat