PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre Set to Retire After 17 Years

zhelas
03-04-2008, 01:28 PM
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) - Brett Favre has decided to retire from the NFL after 17 seasons. FOX Sports first reported Tuesday that the Green Bay Packers quarterback informed the team in the last few days. ESPN.com said that according to Favre's agent the quarterback told coach Mike McCarthy of his decision.
The team did not immediately confirm or deny the report. An assistant to Packers general manager Ted Thompson said he was in meetings all day but would release a statement later Tuesday morning.

The news was a surprise to at least one of Favre's teammates. Most players expected Favre to return after a successful 2007 season.

"I just saw it come across the TV," Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson said, when reached on his cell phone by The Associated Press.

The 38-year-old Favre, a three-time NFL MVP and one of the NFL's grittiest players, has made his annual flirtation with retirement a winter tradition in Wisconsin. He has taken weeks and even months to make his decision after recent seasons, with Cheeseheads hanging on his every word.

But unlike the final game of the 2006 season—when Favre provided a cliffhanger by getting choked up in a television interview as he walked off the field in Chicago, only to return once again—nearly everyone assumed he would be back this time. They were wrong.

Only two years removed from perhaps his worst season, Favre had a resurgence in 2007. He broke several career records. Among them was Dan Marino's career mark for career touchdown passes. He powered the Packers to an NFC North title and a 13-3 regular-season record and earned his ninth Pro Bowl spot.

Surrounded by an underrated group of wide receivers who proved hard to tackle after the catch, Favre had a career-high completion percentage of 66.5. He threw for 4,155 yards, 28 touchdowns and only 15 interceptions.

It was a remarkable turnaround from 2005, Favre's final season under former head coach Mike Sherman, when he threw a career-worst 29 interceptions as the Packers went 4-12.

Given Favre's career resurgence, it was widely assumed that he was leaning toward returning for the 2008 season.

He even said as much just before the Packers' Jan. 12 divisional playoff game against Seattle, telling his hometown newspaper that he wasn't approaching the game as if it would be his last and was more optimistic than in years past about returning.

"For the first time in three years, I haven't thought this could be my last game," Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald. "I would like to continue longer."

Those comments sent premature shock waves across the state—all the way up to the governor's office, where the political version of a false start was committed.

"Like all Packer fans, I am thrilled that Brett Favre will return to action next year for the green and gold," Gov. Jim Doyle said in a statement. "Brett Favre's tremendous work ethic and willingness to go out and play hard every day represent the true spirit of Wisconsin. I am hopeful that with this announcement behind us, Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers can focus on the task at hand: defeating the Seattle Seahawks."

The governor's office later amended the statement to say Doyle was "excited to hear Brett Favre talking about returning to action next year."

It was another example of the state's fascination with the future of its favorite quarterback.

Favre then finished the season on a sour note, suddenly showing his age in the Packers' 23-20 overtime loss to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship game.

Favre struggled in subzero temperatures, throwing an interception on the Packers' second play from scrimmage in overtime to set up the Giants' game-winning field goal.

After that game, Favre was noncommittal on his future. McCarthy said he wanted Favre to take a step back from the season before making a decision. But it was widely assumed he would be back.

"I think he's going to come back," Packers receiver Donald Driver said in early January. "I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back. He's having a great year, so it'd be great to see him come back if he decides to."

Retiring Packers chairman Bob Harlan figured Favre would be back, too.

"Yeah, I think he'll be back," Harlan said, on his final official day as the Packers' top executive. "And I felt that way the last couple years, when we've had these long debates about it. I just think he's such a competitor that as long as he feels he can compete, he's going to keep coming back."

Still, in the week leading to the playoff game against Seattle, Favre said his injuries were starting to linger.

"I'm not getting any younger," Favre said. "I wake up some days and think I can't even touch my toes. I think about that. I think, well, next year is not going to be like some refreshing, awakening season where all of a sudden you're going to feel great. That's not going to happen.

"I carry some of these things with me that maybe you wouldn't see. I tend to dwell on them, at least internally, more than I used to. I don't write them off as quickly as I used to."http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8V6MKQG0&show_article=1

Parkbandit
03-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Wow.. I didn't think he would retire after last year either. Sucks for the Packers and football in general.

LMingrone
03-04-2008, 01:44 PM
The Cal Ripken of football. Sorry the Giants had to run through him. Not really.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-04-2008, 01:44 PM
I think he'll play another year. He's just reacting to not getting Randy Moss.

LMingrone
03-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I think he'll play another year. He's just reacting to not getting Randy Moss.

I think he retired today. That's what The FAN (660 AM) is reporting.

BigWorm
03-04-2008, 01:57 PM

It's March; he's still got lots of time to change his mind like Junior Seau and Michael Strahan did last year. Like someone else said, this could be a reaction to the Pack not making a serious attempt to get Randy Moss, because Favre had a big hardon for him last year and this year again.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM

They also reported him retiring on ESPN. What I'm saying is, why was he pushing so hard to get Moss yesterday, and when they didn't get him, up and decides to retire? I think he's just reacting to not getting Moss, I believe he will play another year.

Sean
03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Intending to retire and filing the paperwork are two different things. Does anyone know if he actually submitted? Not that you can't unretire: Ricky Williams.

LMingrone
03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
I think Moss was just trying to get 10 mil a year. He was fishing.

Stunseed
03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Farve or Rodgers....Meh, we'll see.

Also, does Driver or Jennings jump ship as well? Questions, questions, questions...

Hulkein
03-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Goodbye to my favorite non-Eagle of all time.

Parkbandit
02-11-2009, 09:59 AM
This time it's 4REAL.

I especially liked the mention of Thomas Jones in his statement. Favre is a class act. I have the utmost respect for Favre.. I hope Thomas Jones gets his leg broken this season for being a little fucking bitch.

"Mike and Woody, as well as the entire organization, have been nothing short of outstanding,'' Favre said in the e-mail. "My teammates -- Thomas and Kerry included -- were a pleasure to play with. Eric [Mangini] could not have been any better. I enjoyed playing for him. My time with the Jets was short, but I'm honored to be given that chance.''

NocturnalRob
02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/shit_just_got_real.gif

crazymage
02-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah because Favre was so good last year...Jones carried the Jets when Favre threw a league high 22 interceptions.

Ignot
02-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I love Breat Favre and I just want to thank him because if he never came to the Jets then the Dolphins would never have picked up Pennington. Also, LoL @ Jets.

Parkbandit
02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah because Favre was so good last year...Jones carried the Jets when Favre threw a league high 22 interceptions.

Yea.. Jones carried the team... riiiiiight.

Did he even break 100 yards in any of the final games where Favre struggled?

He had the best year of his career in a 2008.. a 9 year career that is pretty unremarkable. He should send Favre a thank you gift for giving him the opportunity to play with him.

Some Rogue
02-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Yea.. Jones carried the team... riiiiiight.

Did he even break 100 yards in any of the final games where Favre struggled?

He had the best year of his career in a 2008.. a 9 year career that is pretty unremarkable. He should send Favre a thank you gift for giving him the opportunity to play with him.

Like you should send me one for letting you play WoW with me..

SHAFT
02-11-2009, 12:02 PM
thank god

Allereli
08-18-2009, 02:34 PM
unfortunately, bitch is back

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/sports/football/19favre.html?hp

Parkbandit
08-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I love it.

Willington
08-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Just when you thought it was over!!

14 minutes ago

DAVE CAMPBELL AP Sports Writer

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn.(AP)—Brett Favre(notes) is coming back for

The 39-year-old quarterback turned his back on retirement for the second time in as many years, agreeing Tuesday to play for the Vikings.

Favre took a morning flight on a team plane from Mississippi to Minnesota, arrived to cheering fans outside the team’s practice facility and was in a helmet and pads less than 90 minutes later. His red practice jersey was the familiar No. 4, the same number he wore for years with the rival Green Bay Packers.

The team confirmed a deal was done to The Associated Press, but terms were not immediately disclosed.

Xanator
08-18-2009, 03:38 PM
I think the point is to improve at the position. INTs and throwing wild bombs in 3rd-and-forever situations are going to hurt you just as much as fumbles and three-and-outs, so I don't see how Brett Favre is a huge improvement over Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels.

Chicago and Green Bay will duke it out for the NFC North this season. They've got the only real quarterbacks. Minnesota's just gotta hope Favre learns how to hand the ball off, because he showed you last year he doesn't have a lot left in him.

AnticorRifling
08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
It's an improvement because his name Brett, not something dumb like Tarvaris or hippie/gay like Sage.

Celephais
08-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Or even worse; Wayne.

AnticorRifling
08-18-2009, 03:48 PM
It means wagon maker. Bitches gotta have wheels!

Parkbandit
08-18-2009, 03:50 PM
That just made October 5th a huge night for MNF

And Brett goes back to GB November the 1st.

nub
08-18-2009, 05:58 PM
That just made October 5th a huge night for MNF

And Brett goes back to GB November the 1st.

He'll prob retire for a week then change his mind on the 2nd.

Allereli
10-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Thread REZ

Will sending dick shots to a sideline reporter be how Favre goes down?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-kerr/favre-story-a-win-for-jou_b_758843.html

RichardCranium
10-12-2010, 01:14 PM
I think he was hoping that was how she would go down.

Tordane
10-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Thread REZ

All I ended up seeing was this.... Hello!

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/10/500x_original.jpg

Atlanteax
10-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Thread REZ

Some analysts were saying that if this was a bonafide risk (that it'd come under investigation) Favre would had stayed retired (as the media attention on himself and NFL would not be as intense if he was not currently playing).

I was reading a really good article about it, but don't have the link available anymore.

The writer indicated that a critical piece is the motive of Jenn Sterger, where if it was about money for her (and the case was strong), there would had already been a behind-closed-doors settlement with the Jets in 2008/2009.

I'm anticipating Favre pulling a Kobe Bryant with his wife.

Cephalopod
10-12-2010, 03:36 PM
In other news, has there been a Brett Favre steroid scandal yet? Because his penis was totally underwhelming.

RichardCranium
10-12-2010, 03:40 PM
In other news, has there been a Brett Favre steroid scandal yet? Because his penis was totally underwhelming.

In fairness to Brett, you say that to all the boys.

Cephalopod
10-12-2010, 03:40 PM
In fairness to Brett, you say that to all the boys.

I only say it because it's true.

LMingrone
10-12-2010, 03:43 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h140/robsul82/roflbot2-9.jpg

Edit: Oh, and Tracy Burgess is pretty slamming. Watching Boomer & Carton on my DVR right now....HELLLLLOOOOOOOO!

NocturnalRob
10-12-2010, 03:45 PM
The head of his dick looked like it had been stomped down. Believe me, I know.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-12-2010, 03:50 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h140/robsul82/roflbot2-9.jpg

Edit: Oh, and Tracy Burgess is pretty slamming. Watching Boomer & Carton on my DVR right now.

That's generous of you..