PDA

View Full Version : Gift cards worthless?

Solkern
03-03-2008, 09:16 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080303/ap_on_re_us/bankruptcy_gift_cards

LMingrone
03-03-2008, 09:45 PM
"..and that government of the Corporation, by the Corporation, for the Corporation, shall not perish from the earth."

Warriorbird
03-03-2008, 09:55 PM
A lot of retail companies going under.

Revalos
03-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Just give people pre-paid credit cards. Unless we have to start worrying about mastercard going out of business.

Kitsun
03-04-2008, 12:23 AM
I always thought those gift cards and pre-paid CCs were just ass stupid. Hello, just use cash. Amex wanted like 6 bucks per pre-paid CC. What kind of dumb ass gift is it if you can't use it where you want to? Why not give the friend/relative the extra few bucks instead of letting some corporation suck it out of you?

Warriorbird
03-04-2008, 12:24 AM
I just put it off to the same principles that make bottled water popular. Especially Dasani.

diethx
03-04-2008, 12:26 AM
I always thought those gift cards and pre-paid CCs were just ass stupid. Hello, just use cash. Amex wanted like 6 bucks per pre-paid CC. What kind of dumb ass gift is it if you can't use it where you want to? Why not give the friend/relative the extra few bucks instead of letting some corporation suck it out of you?

That's how I feel, but some people feel it's all "impersonal" or whatever to give cash. AS IF A FREAKING GIFT CARD IS PERSONAL. My parents are that way, and it's so dumb. I say, send me a damn check (cuz cash != mail-safe) and save yourself the hassle and fees.

diethx
03-04-2008, 12:27 AM
I just put it off to the same principles that make bottled water popular. Especially Dasani.

?

I drink bottled water (Deer Park mostly) because I don't taste the chemicals that's in the shitty Atlanta tap water.

Revalos
03-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Sometimes if you are a business and you give gifts to clients, it is kind of awkward to just hand them cash. Instead you give them a gift card and you can keep track of it.

diethx
03-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Sometimes if you are a business and you give gifts to clients, it is kind of awkward to just hand them cash. Instead you give them a gift card and you can keep track of it.

Or you can give them actual gifts, like Omaha Steaks, Hillshire Farm giftsets, liquor, etc. I'm sure even some nice gourmet gift baskets would work so long as you aren't trying to woo any former customers with them.

B2
03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Ugh, I hate those prepaid credit card gift card things. You have to know what the balance is to be able to use it, if the price is more than the balance of the gift card...granted it only takes a few minutes to call the number on the back and find that out, but having to do that during the dinner rush or what not was always annoying. Especially when your manager rushes over, hangs up the phone, and screams at you for being on the phone and not on the floor...forcing you to start the process all over again.

Ugh. Just give cash.

Gan
03-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Starbucks gift cards are a hot item as gifts to our clients. You can never go wrong with a Starbucks gift card.

If I do courtesy gifts for women, I send them Godiva Chocolate. Thats like sex giftwrapped in a box.