PDA

View Full Version : GemStone Hinders Success in Life

gs4gs41234
03-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Hey, everyone! Now that I've got your attention with that title...

Do you ever wish that instead if doing all that redunant hunting, guild reps, artisan practice, etc, you spent your time practicing an actual, real-life skill?

Martial arts instead of guild skills...
A new language instead of forging...
Sports instead of fletching...

...and so on. Add up all those hours you played GemStone, and think about what you could've done with that time.

GemStone is built around roundtime, long repetitive tasks, and the roll of dice. What is gained from all the work you put into your character? A number in an electronic computer file that outlines how much experience/ranks/etc your fake, electronic character has. (As an aside, a level 100 character with all the bells and whistles *could* be created in a matter of seconds/minutes by Simutronics computer programmers.)

I realize that the social aspect of GemStone can be fun, but I'm not a big fan of the other parts of the game. All those hours of "power leveling" could have instead been used to develop actual, real-life skills.

There's another thread about "Beating GemStone." Here's the opening post:

In a game that essentially has not end like the ones that most people are familiar with, we are forced to set our own goals. Mine is to cap Durfin, train him up in spells to 120 and 430 and eventually make the top of the Warrior and Dwarven Fame lists (yeah, that part is lofty).

What constitutes winning the game for the rest of you?

If games are enjoyable, why not play the numerous shorter and more intensive video and computer games that are out there?

Why not set out some real-life goals for yourself instead of developing grandoise plans to become the GemStone King or Queen?

Thoughts?

(This is not a "bash" on ANYONE. I am also not suggesting that anyone quit playing GemStone. I just want to hear what you think about this topic.)

Methais
03-02-2008, 11:55 PM
You're right. I'm quitting now.

Drew
03-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Your cogent points have shown me the light. I just canceled my account.

DCSL
03-03-2008, 12:57 AM
I already quit so I guess it's moot for me but I think anything that makes one happy is not a waste of time, whether it is something with the potential for lasting effect like a new real life skill or... capping your sorcerer.

kookiegod
03-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Life...

Is what you make of it.

While I spent an inordinate amount of time in GemStone, I made a lot of life long friends, a social network unsurpassed, and made a little money...

To wit:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., Nov. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- First Advantage Corporation (Nasdaq: FADV), a global risk mitigation and business solutions provider, today announced the acquisition of The Info Center, a New England regional provider of resident screening services. The acquisition adds incremental scale to First Advantage's industry leading multifamily services operation, First Advantage SafeRent.

Just a little...

<chuckle>

More imporantly, I met the love of my life...

~Paul

Whimsi
03-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Do you ever wish that instead if doing all that redunant hunting, guild reps, artisan practice, etc, you spent your time practicing an actual, real-life skill?

I practice playing WoW irl.

TheEschaton
03-03-2008, 02:40 AM
Dude, I am an undead priest irl. WoW helps me lrn2heal.

-TheE-

Asha
03-03-2008, 03:04 AM
To be fair I would be Bruce Lee by now.
But I wouldn't be fucking capped drood t win teh bitches eithers.

Fallen
03-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Gemstone wastes a ton of my money and time....but hey, it is better than crack. It is addictive, but if you find it that way, you would likely be addicted to something else instead of gemstone rather than being out and doing something productive. It is the player's fault, not the games. I say change yourself and not point fingers at a text-based RPG.

Augie
03-03-2008, 07:02 AM
I played for over 10 years, and I don't regret any of it. I made some amazing friendships and have met some awesome people.

The social aspect of Gemstone is something that you won't find in a game like WOW and I think that's what keeps a lot of people holding on to it.

Arkans
03-03-2008, 07:16 AM
The social aspect of real life, for me, tended to be more rewarding and fun.

But in all honesty, who the fuck are you to trash someone else's hobby? Fuck off, you ginger tosser.

(British swearing *IS* fun)

- Arkans

Nieninque
03-03-2008, 07:32 AM
You can't just call anyone a ginger tosser...it devalues the insult.

Celephais
03-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Suck it, you ginger tosser!

Aphyd
03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
If I quit i'm putting all my unused PTP's into masturbation.

Warriorbird
03-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Good call. I hear women have a MTP requirement.

ViridianAsp
03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Why do you care? Seriously, this is what I like to do in my free time. I could be out doing worse crap, drinking myself stupid (no thanks), doing drugs like Evarin's player said (again no thanks). Besides if I don't want to play gemstone, I can just shut it off, unlike annoying RL friends...who come to your house and never MF'ing leave.

I do other things, but when I can't do those things I turn to Gemstone for my entertainment, I've made friends, the game has sparked interest for me in a lot of different areas, I love history, this game has taken that love into different aspects of history. I get to flex my imagination and creativity, for me it's not just about hunting or Mastering something mechanical. It's about creativity.

So, Fuck off.

Celephais
03-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I think what he's failing to grasp is that any "real life" skill/trait gained through an investment of time is just as fleeting as any gemstone skill/trait.

At least in gemstone you can pass your character on to your heirs, no one's going to give a shit if some kid says his great great grandfather knew how to speak Mongolian.

Sylvan Dreams
03-03-2008, 05:05 PM
If games are enjoyable, why not play the numerous shorter and more intensive video and computer games that are out there?

Why not set out some real-life goals for yourself instead of developing grandoise plans to become the GemStone King or Queen?

Thoughts?

(This is not a "bash" on ANYONE. I am also not suggesting that anyone quit playing GemStone. I just want to hear what you think about this topic.)

Is this for real?

If you truly believe that gemstone hinders success in life, then why are you continuing to devote time to gemstone, directly or indirectly?

diethx
03-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Is this for real?

If you truly believe that gemstone hinders success in life, then why are you continuing to devote time to gemstone, directly or indirectly?

Didn't you know that you can't play a game for fun and still have other hobbies/interests in life? It's an all or nothing thing, always has been, always will be.

Eoghain
03-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Augie, can you come back so we can have another halfling hunt? that shit was hilarious

Soulpieced
03-03-2008, 06:08 PM
http://pics.bikerag.com/Uploads/data/500/258Troll_spray.jpg

gs4gs41234
03-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the replies, all. Some were quite insightful. Others were, well...vindicating! :tumble:

Hey, everyone! Now that I've got your attention with that title...

Martial arts instead of guild skills...
A new language instead of forging...
Sports instead of fletching...

...and so on. Add up all those hours you played GemStone, and think about what you could've done with that time.

GemStone is built around roundtime, long repetitive tasks, and the roll of dice. What is gained from all the work you put into your character? A number in an electronic computer file that outlines how much experience/ranks/etc your fake, electronic character has. (As an aside, a level 100 character with all the bells and whistles *could* be created in a matter of seconds/minutes by Simutronics computer programmers.)

I realize that the social aspect of GemStone can be fun, but I'm not a big fan of the other parts of the game. All those hours of "power leveling" could have instead been used to develop actual, real-life skills.

There's another thread about "Beating GemStone." Here's the opening post:

Thoughts?

You're right. I'm quitting now.

Your cogent points have shown me the light. I just canceled my account.

I already quit so I guess it's moot for me but I think anything that makes one happy is not a waste of time, whether it is something with the potential for lasting effect like a new real life skill or... capping your sorcerer.

Life...

Is what you make of it.

While I spent an inordinate amount of time in GemStone, I made a lot of life long friends, a social network unsurpassed, and made a little money...

To wit:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., Nov. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- First Advantage Corporation (Nasdaq: FADV), a global risk mitigation and business solutions provider, today announced the acquisition of The Info Center, a New England regional provider of resident screening services. The acquisition adds incremental scale to First Advantage's industry leading multifamily services operation, First Advantage SafeRent.

Just a little...

<chuckle>

More imporantly, I met the love of my life...

~Paul

I practice playing WoW irl.

Dude, I am an undead priest irl. WoW helps me lrn2heal.

-TheE-

To be fair I would be Bruce Lee by now.
But I wouldn't be fucking capped drood t win teh bitches eithers.

Gemstone wastes a ton of my money and time....but hey, it is better than crack. It is addictive, but if you find it that way, you would likely be addicted to something else instead of gemstone rather than being out and doing something productive. It is the player's fault, not the games. I say change yourself and not point fingers at a text-based RPG.

I played for over 10 years, and I don't regret any of it. I made some amazing friendships and have met some awesome people.

The social aspect of Gemstone is something that you won't find in a game like WOW and I think that's what keeps a lot of people holding on to it.

The social aspect of real life, for me, tended to be more rewarding and fun.

But in all honesty, who the fuck are you to trash someone else's hobby? Fuck off, you ginger tosser.

(British swearing *IS* fun)

- Arkans

Suck it, you ginger tosser!

If I quit i'm putting all my unused PTP's into masturbation.

Good call. I hear women have a MTP requirement.

Why do you care? Seriously, this is what I like to do in my free time. I could be out doing worse crap, drinking myself stupid (no thanks), doing drugs like Evarin's player said (again no thanks). Besides if I don't want to play gemstone, I can just shut it off, unlike annoying RL friends...who come to your house and never MF'ing leave.

I do other things, but when I can't do those things I turn to Gemstone for my entertainment, I've made friends, the game has sparked interest for me in a lot of different areas, I love history, this game has taken that love into different aspects of history. I get to flex my imagination and creativity, for me it's not just about hunting or Mastering something mechanical. It's about creativity.

So, Fuck off.

I think what he's failing to grasp is that any "real life" skill/trait gained through an investment of time is just as fleeting as any gemstone skill/trait.

At least in gemstone you can pass your character on to your heirs, no one's going to give a shit if some kid says his great great grandfather knew how to speak Mongolian.

Is this for real?

Didn't you know that you can't play a game for fun and still have other hobbies/interests in life? It's an all or nothing thing, always has been, always will be.

Augie, can you come back so we can have another halfling hunt? that shit was hilarious

http://pics.bikerag.com/Uploads/data/500/258Troll_spray.jpg

Drisco
03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Me > :shoot: :hang: < You

gs4gs41234
03-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Here are some other comments:

Aside from the money bit, what do you guys think the biggest benefit to leaving GS is?

I'm seriously debating it today.

Angela

If you choose to cancel your account, the greater focus on you.

Gemstone is fairly casual gamer unfriendly; I say this because the game carries a higher price than other games, which may suggest to some people that they need to spend much time in said game to get their money's worth.

When I take hiatus from GS, I accomplish much more because it's a distraction. While you're being distracted, you are also forking over whatever subscription you're signed for, instead of making money doing something for *you* that you're awesome at (like singing).

-M

Yeah, Melissa, that was my biggest thing. I think if I get out of GS for a bit, I can afford at least one of my voice lessons a month. At the level I'm at for classical, I have to have a good teacher, and sadly, it's 60-80 bucks a class(for 1hr).

GS has been good to me over the years, but I wonder sometimes where I would be if I had never played.

Angela

Lots of extra money. Lots and lots of extra time, you'll be surprised at how much extra you get accomplished. And, while you might have pangs of 'boy, it sure was fun,' it doesn't take long to see how boring it all really was.

I wasn't speaking strictly of the money but the time that GS requires you to invest too.

I have had some WONDERFUL times in the game, and I'm not knocking them. But ultimately, I had to review the time that I was spending in the game and consider the greater good of investing most of that time in myself.

-M

Oh, sure..if I spent 5-6 hours practicing my singing and music, I'd be golden! LOL

You'll have one less reason to not be excersising. :(

SLEEP!!!!

Yep you will wake up and see that Real People do exist. There is a Real World out there. SCARY quick run back inside lock all the doors and windows and log back in to GS. ::Phew:: That was close. :grin:

If you're thinking about leaving, I'd go ahead and do it. You obviously know that their is a problem with your gaming habits if you're looking for encouragment to quit. Fill the gap with something productive. If you have kids, do something with them instead.. Go to the library and have fun finding an interesting book.. Take up a hobby that's more benefical to you! I try to keep my gaming balanced with the rest of my life... If I plan to play gs today I make sure I work out that day too so I don't feel like I've wasted my free day sitting on my ass playing text based games... Anyway, hope you make the right choice :)

Yeah, quit GS, life away from a computer is pretty cool if you give it a chance

That, and the opportunity to get quality vocal coaching would be all the incentive I'd need, were I you, Angela. There's so much more to life than playing a fantasy role-playing game. A lot of that is missed when so much of your time and energies are focussed on GemStone. Heck, just taking the time to be yourself, and give to yourself, instead of some imaginary elf (or giant, or Sylvan, or whatever) can make a huge difference in your life. :)

gs4gs41234
03-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Former GameMaster Elbrion:

Frankly... in the year since I've been gone from GS, I've lost 50 pounds, made a few hundred friends, upped my social life, accomplished a TON professionally, and I've generally just been a happier and healthier individual. I wonder which other great GM(s) are gonna be next......

Augie
03-04-2008, 03:21 AM

:lolwave: Tell ya what -- when I come back to sell off all my shit, I'll gladly let you guys use me as the prey to do another halfling hunt.

That definitely was hilarious. I specially loved bribing people to kill me hah.

Xandalf
03-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Always enjoyed interacting (picking) with(on) Augie.

Let me know and we'll schedule it!

Makkah
03-06-2008, 08:02 AM
My chain hang low cuz my ice filled wit' water.

AnticorRifling
03-06-2008, 08:36 AM

In your opinion.

I'd say I talk to/socialize with about the same amount of people in WoW as I did in GS.

Me I have an addictive personality I'd rather it be to a 15 buck a month habit than something chemical.

SpiffyJr
03-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Meh. I'm 200 miles from my girlfriend (ring shopping as well) whose got a year left of college. I just graduated with a computer engineering degree, got my first job, making my first real money, and certainly don't regret playing video games. I still workout 3+ times a week, play racquetball 2 times a week, and try to do some light cardio on the other days. The key is, when we're able to be together (rainouts in softball, or a home game) then I don't miss the computer or the games. Maybe I don't have the addiction of others but I can't justify putting a video game over someone I love - someone I can touch, smell, hear, etc on a physical flesh and blood level. If/when I ever have kids they will get my undivided attention because, well, that's what being a parent is truly about.

AnticorRifling
03-06-2008, 09:36 AM
I remember when I made shit up too.

Augie
03-06-2008, 09:41 AM
In your opinion.

I'd say I talk to/socialize with about the same amount of people in WoW as I did in GS.

Me I have an addictive personality I'd rather it be to a 15 buck a month habit than something chemical.

I think a lot of it is that GS is so much smaller that it's easier to meet people and stick in touch with them. Granted, I've only played WOW about 6 months now...so I am sure more interaction and socialization comes with time.

The hubby and I got our characters into a guild thinking that would help, but we probably didn't make the right decision as far as which guild since there's like 5 active members (didn't find that out til afterwards and are just waiting to figure if there's a better one to jump to).

I'm not saying there's no socialization in WOW, I just think it's probably easier to find it in GS.

Either way -- I agree with you about having a 15 bucks a month habit on the computer than worse things. We had 4 premium accounts when we quit, and prior to that, we had run 6 premie accounts, so yah...30 bucks is much better than the other amounts we paid.

TheEschaton
03-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah, $15 is pretty damn good considering I was running multiple premie accts in GS which will soon be frozen...

Artha
03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Hey, some people like investing ridiculous amounts of time in things they can't even tell their friends about.

AnticorRifling
03-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey, some people like investing ridiculous amounts of time in things they can't even tell their friends about.

Heroine?

My friends knew I played GS and they know I play WoW. Hell I've converted most of my office to WoW.

TheEschaton
03-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Yeah, none of my friends know about my gaming habits. Hell, they know more about my past drug habits more than my gaming habits.

Edit: I mean, how do you tell people, "In order to relax, I pretend I'm a troll rogue fighting with a faction made up of orcs, trolls, undead, and big cows against humans, dwarves, elves, and gnomes..." I mean, saying you smoke pot is more normal than that.

AnticorRifling
03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
I generally say "It lets me kill people online so I don't do it in real life."

Warriorbird
03-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Undercover "down low" gamers crack me up.

Sean
03-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Warriorbird
Undercover "down low" gamers crack me up.

Sci-Fi fraternity members crack me up.

CrystalTears
03-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Yeah, none of my friends know about my gaming habits. Hell, they know more about my past drug habits more than my gaming habits.

Edit: I mean, how do you tell people, "In order to relax, I pretend I'm a troll rogue fighting with a faction made up of orcs, trolls, undead, and big cows against humans, dwarves, elves, and gnomes..." I mean, saying you smoke pot is more normal than that.
You make it sound as though fantasy games are unheard of, or only done by a rare few. Most people these days would understand you if you said "I play an online fantasy game" without having to elaborate unless they ask for details.

Celephais
03-06-2008, 11:29 AM
You could just say you play WoW and they'd likely know what you are talking about now adays.

Parkbandit
03-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I got a WoW Visa card.. just because it was funny. My wife is usually mortified when I pull it out in front of our friends :)

Arkans
03-06-2008, 12:35 PM
My wife is usually mortified when I pull it out in front of our friends :)

Pervert.

- Arkans

Methais
03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Pervert.

- Arkans

I'M NOT A PERVERT!!!!!!!!!1
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j79/JoeyTapes/KindergardenCop16.jpg

AnticorRifling
03-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Just remind them that raiding is serious business.

YouLose
03-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Meh. I'm 200 miles from my girlfriend (ring shopping as well) whose got a year left of college. I just graduated with a computer engineering degree, got my first job, making my first real money, and certainly don't regret playing video games. I still workout 3+ times a week, play racquetball 2 times a week, and try to do some light cardio on the other days. The key is, when we're able to be together (rainouts in softball, or a home game) then I don't miss the computer or the games. Maybe I don't have the addiction of others but I can't justify putting a video game over someone I love - someone I can touch, smell, hear, etc on a physical flesh and blood level. If/when I ever have kids they will get my undivided attention because, well, that's what being a parent is truly about.

Amen, brother!

YouLose
03-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I generally say "It lets me kill people online so I don't do it in real life."

That might give the impression that you're a psycho though, huh?

Also, if the power ever goes out in your city, meaning you can't access the online game where you kill people...

reason for concern.

YouLose
03-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I got a WoW Visa card.. just because it was funny. My wife is usually mortified when I pull it out in front of our friends :)

:rofl:

Soulpieced
03-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I'd wager there are a handful of well-off people who don't suck at life and/or Gemstone. Now, don't take this statement too far, as I did only say "a handful".

Miss Ismurii
04-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't think gemstone is a waste of time to where you can't do other things UNLESS it is keeping you from affording something [as I read above]. I mean it's taught me a few life skills - I can type way faster and my interest in the renaissance times has increased greatly.

But also my father met his current wife in gemstone, so I def don't think it's a waste of time, she's a great person and has basically been a mother figure to me more than half my life.

AnticorRifling
04-10-2008, 09:14 AM
http://www.hookahforum.com/uploads/1165808825/gallery_2063_3_17264.jpg

Stanley Burrell
04-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Next womens who says my wang unit is "cute" is getting reminded of my e-turgid post count.