PDA

View Full Version : Speaking as an Aelotoi

DaMaGe
12-16-2003, 09:14 PM
I see that the Aelotoi are speaking in broken common, which is understandable given their history.

I've long wanted something to this effect for a few of my elven characters. So, why isn't it an option for all characters, and restricted to just the Aelotoi? Doesn't it make since that some members of the other races have taken 'common' as a second, or even third language?

This isn't a knock against the Aelotoi, or a call against something a I see as unfair. I just want some other people's perspective on this is all.

-Adam

CrystalTears
12-16-2003, 09:36 PM
Aelotoi aren't from this realm, so there's no way their speech would be anything like our own, so theirs will be inevitably broken. I don't think it really has to do with it being someone's first or second language, but that it would be in the same aspect as one of us going to live with martians and us trying to speak their language. No matter what we do, our speech will always be broken. I think it's rather nice so that it distinguishes those are completely different from the rest of the races. That's just my take on it though.

DaMaGe
12-17-2003, 07:09 AM
As I said, I understand fully that the Aelotoi speech would inevitably sound broken and alien to someone from our Realm.

But what about a Vaalorian elf, a dwarf of the Khanshael, a dark elf of New Ta'Faendryl, all of whom have never before had reason to speak common. Wouldn't their speech come across as somewhat halting and broken as they too learn a new language?

I just see it as a great opportunity for more depth of some characters, yet it is only offered to the Aelotoi. As far as distinguishing them from the rest of the races, they have WINGS. Real ones.

-Adam

-Adam

Latrinsorm
12-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Think of it this way: all the languages we have experienced so far are Elanthia's equivalent of Indo-European languages, they all sound more or less the same. Now these Erithians bring in this Yiddish bs (or something along those lines) and it's uniquely foreign.

Czeska
12-17-2003, 01:58 PM
One thing I've always wanted to see is the ability to learn other languages. If someone is around elves enough, and they're speaking elven.. they should pick some of it up. I mentioned it to a GM at Simucon who thought it would be great, but either a WAY low priority or a coding nightmare.

StrayRogue
12-17-2003, 02:09 PM
Coding nightmare, I recall reading.
The "broken common" will not be forever also.

Kitsun
12-17-2003, 02:54 PM
They had a different language and learing language system in EverQuest but it was fairly abusable. The more you stood around and heard people talking in a different language, the better you understood it. The game would automatically mix up letters so the text was difficult to understand(It was REALLY bad if someone was messing around and spouting gibberish to begin with).

However it had a severe loophole, all you had to do was join someone's group and have one person with mastery in the language spam something repeatedly. Everyone joined would gain ranks like crazy.

I think it takes the mystique out of different languages and it would become too commonplace that every half-krol, dwarf and elf with all their racial hatred with be able to speak each others' language.

StrayRogue
12-17-2003, 03:00 PM
It should be an artisan's skill. And a very difficult one at that. Certain races could only learn certain amounts of languages.

Kitsun
12-17-2003, 03:06 PM
I don't know if I'd categorize it as an artisan's skill but I can certainly see how someone that categorizes themself as a merchant would be more inclined to learn other languages.

I'm not sure how to restrict it in a way that would mesh well with mechanical purposes and RP of the player base.

DaMaGe
12-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Scholars as well should be very capable of picking on the language of another race, over a given period of time. I suppose it's just another pipe dream, but there are SO many things I would do differently if given the chance to create my own world and everything in it.

-Adam

ThisOtherKingdom
12-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Maybe make it part of the citizenship mechanics? Say a human spends enough time in Ta'Vaalor he could start speaking in "broken" elven.

Latrinsorm
12-18-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by ThisOtherKingdom
Maybe make it part of the citizenship mechanics? Say a human spends enough time in Ta'Vaalor he could start speaking in "broken" elven.

That would be awesome. Although I don't see why a human would bother, it would still be awesome.

Czeska
12-19-2003, 12:50 PM
I can see it now...

Elf says something in Elven that you don't understand.

Suddenly as if the sun broke through the clouds, you realize things make sense that didn't before.

Elf says, in Elven, " ...... Czeska.... longsword.... "
Elf glances at you.
You stare off into space.

Shalla
12-19-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by DaMaGe
I see that the Aelotoi are speaking in broken common -Adam

I saw an aelotoi say Wow in broken common once. How do you say Wow in broken common? wa- aw? :lol:

Artha
12-19-2003, 01:30 PM
I wish they put letter limits on words they could speak. I saw someone say something that looked like it could begin a dissertation on the effect of society on the violence of someone's character.