PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency

RichardCranium
02-29-2008, 09:59 AM
The Saints have picked up Jonathan Vilma from the Jets pending a physical. Word is they got him for a conditional 3rd round pick with the possibility of becoming a 2nd rounder depending on his performance this year.

LOL Mangini

The Panthers traded Kris Jenkins to the Jets for a third and fifth round pick.

Teddy Bruschi got a new multi-year contract.

Positioning for free agency has begun.

RichardCranium
02-29-2008, 02:55 PM
The Eagles picked up Asante Samuel for a reported 47.5 million.

Methais
02-29-2008, 02:58 PM

That sucks the Pats didn't keep him. Oh well. It doesn't change the fact that BRIDESMAIDS HAVE ONE WEAKNESS:
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/8/7/3/8739ef3b221e1c3fe6ce0b215a7dd680.gif

http://bridesmaidsweakness.ytmnd.com/

RichardCranium
02-29-2008, 03:01 PM
I was wrong about the Vilma trade. ESPN reported that it's actually a 4th rounder with the possibilty of becoming a 3rd. That's a fucking steal.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
02-29-2008, 04:10 PM
So is the Jenkins deal, the guy could end up being a Hall of Famer, and all he needs is motivation. 10x better than Sapp even when he isn't pushing himself... and mind you, this isn't like the Raiders getting Jerry Rice, Jenkins still had 5-8 good years left, if he drops weight.

Sean
02-29-2008, 04:26 PM
If he drops weight he'd have problems playing the 3-4 NT position that the Jets want him to play.

Anebriated
02-29-2008, 04:30 PM

Not a done deal yet. There hasnt been any official word out of the Eagles organization anyway. Im sitting here watching the live feed waiting for the press conference to see what is said.

Anebriated
02-29-2008, 05:06 PM
It was just announced that the deal is official. 6 year deal, no word on how much hes getting paid though.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
02-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Ok, so who will play Bobby Taylor to his Troy Vincent? Lito Sheppard?

RichardCranium
02-29-2008, 06:34 PM
10 to 1 they trade Lito.

Drew
02-29-2008, 06:49 PM
The Dolphins signed a lot of guys, no big names. I was hoping they'd get Alan Faneca but the Jets pulled him for a ton of cash. I did not want Asante Samuels, so I'm pleased the Philly's got suckered into that.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
03-01-2008, 02:33 AM
The Dolphins signed a lot of guys, no big names. I was hoping they'd get Alan Faneca but the Jets pulled him for a ton of cash. I did not want Asante Samuels, so I'm pleased the Philly's got suckered into that.

"suckered into that"? He's the second best cornerback in the league, behind Rasheen Mathis and ahead of Al Harris. The Dolphins haven't had truly solid DBs since Pat Surtain and Sam Madison were starting together in their prime.

Stunseed
03-01-2008, 02:45 AM
Jags got Porter from Oakland, lost Wilford to the Phins.

Jags 1, Fins 0.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
03-01-2008, 02:47 AM
They still need some speed in their WR corps, but at least Porter is a decent target? Matt Jones needs to step into a slot receiver/utility QB role like Randal-El had for a while. Reggie Williams is the bomb, but he's no Roy.

Stunseed
03-01-2008, 02:49 AM
Got Williamson from the Vikes for speed. Mike Walker was a 3rd rounder we drafted last year. Speed, check.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
03-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Got Williamson from the Vikes for speed. Mike Walker was a 3rd rounder we drafted last year. Speed, check.

Speed = useless without at least passable hands, and Williamson definately doesn't qualify there. Walker is a possibility, but eh. Why not grab Berrian instead of Porter, when Porter will just complain when the Jags have a rough season next year?

Anebriated
03-01-2008, 10:33 AM

I wanted him but I didnt want to pay some obscene contract for him. The deal they worked out is pretty fair imo. 6 years, 57 mil. 32 mil is paid in the first 3 years then it drops down so its front loaded which is always a plus. The Eagles are now in a very good situation so I dont know why you think we got "suckered" into any deal. The kid is a proven play-maker. We now have 3 very good corners, leading most to think Sheppard will be traded. The talk has been Lito, Reggie Brown and our first round pick for Fitzgerald, but I doubt that will happen. Either way the Eagles FO isnt done yet, it looks to be a good offseason for the Eagles faithful.

Speed = useless without at least passable hands, and Williamson definately doesn't qualify there. Walker is a possibility, but eh. Why not grab Berrian instead of Porter, when Porter will just complain when the Jags have a rough season next year?

No matter how bad the Jags do I think itd still be an upgrade for Porter over the Raiders...

Stunseed
03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
< The talk has been Lito, Reggie Brown and our first round pick for Fitzgerald, but I doubt that will happen. Either way the Eagles FO isnt done yet, it looks to be a good offseason for the Eagles faithful. >

I don't see that happening, either. Fitzgerald is going to command top dollar right now.

Drew
03-01-2008, 03:10 PM

Williamson drops more passes than any receiver I've ever seen. Be prepared for a lot of yelling at your TV.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
03-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Living in Minnesota, I will firmly vouch for that statement. Not only does he drop the short, worthless passes, but also the game-breaking passes that would've been caught by any other receiver on the roster, potentially providing the momentum swing the Vikings needed often last year. Instead? womp. Then he stares at his hands like they betrayed him. Get the man together with Torry Holt, and have Williamson work on his hands as much as Holt does, he'll be a GREAT receiver if he does so.

Sean
03-01-2008, 04:24 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9WZNyYouzuk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-HyEemjm_7E&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=81gpKrIicjU&feature=related

Anebriated
03-01-2008, 04:32 PM
< The talk has been Lito, Reggie Brown and our first round pick for Fitzgerald, but I doubt that will happen. Either way the Eagles FO isnt done yet, it looks to be a good offseason for the Eagles faithful. >

I don't see that happening, either. Fitzgerald is going to command top dollar right now.

Yeah, the talk was that we would restructure his contract to a more managable number against the cap and give him the rest of the money he was due in the form of a signing bonus. He still gets his money and its not a huge hit against the cap. Either way its been confirmed that the Eagles have made the attempt at the trade so sounds like the Cardinals dont want to let him go.

Sean
03-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Fitz is due what? 16m this year and then 19m next year.. that'd be a pretty massive roster or signing bonus in addition to what he'd want standard.

Drew
03-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Jags got Porter from Oakland, lost Wilford to the Phins.

Jags 1, Fins 0.

Porter is a good receiver no doubt, but I'm fine with Wilford for the Dolphins. Wilford is a possession receiver trapped in the land of possession receivers. The Dolphins have Ted Ginn who is a speed receiver who can beat you downfield, something the Jags don't have. We brought in Wilford to replace either Marty Booker (at 5.5 mil, who we cut) or Derek Hagan and we didn't pay much at all for it. The Jags paid Porter a lot of money, but they still need a speedy receiver. Anyway, I'm think it was a good move for the Dolphins.

Daniel
03-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Holy fuck if the bears don't do shit this free agency period.... I'll still be a diehard bears fan.

FUCK CHICAGO FANDOM.

Sean
03-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Holy fuck if the bears don't do shit this free agency period.... I'll still be a diehard bears fan.

FUCK CHICAGO FANDOM.

What do you mean!? they brought back grossman!

Daniel
03-01-2008, 07:45 PM
I'll kill you bitch.

RichardCranium
03-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Berrian's going to the Vikings. The Times-Picayune is reporting that the Saints may be making a serious play for Briggs.

Daniel
03-01-2008, 10:29 PM
The Times-Picayune is reporting that the Saints may be making a serious play for Briggs.

Bzzzt. He just agreed to a six year deal with chicago.

What now!

Now if we can sign Michael Turner, upgrade at outline and somehow get a couple competent receivers (which is kinda a moot point with Grossman) and a safety and its superbowl time baby!

Anebriated
03-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Stallworth signed with the browns.

Porter with Jax.

Berrian most likely signing with the Vikings.

FA WR's are getting pretty slim.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
03-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Ho. Le. Crap. The Niners are officially killing. Bruce to help out Alex Smith, and Justin Smith? In one day? If they draft well, they're going to be ridiculous... and I -hate- the Niners.

Sean
03-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Ho. Le. Crap. The Niners are officially killing. Bruce to help out Alex Smith, and Justin Smith? In one day? If they draft well, they're going to be ridiculous... and I -hate- the Niners.

Smith robbed the niners for a guy who doesn't have any above average skills but just plays with a high motor.

Stanley Burrell
03-02-2008, 03:40 AM
You all need to shut the fuck up. You've never seen a Knicks draft pick. Whinewhinewhinewhinewhinewiiiii-suck-my-haven't-showered-for-three-years-hobo-penis.

Whining about your draft picks. Give me a break.

TheEschaton
03-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Bills haven't lost anyone yet (who would want to sign someone from the Bills, lol?). Made two signings, Specer Johnson from the Vikes, a DT who I know nothing about (Vikes fans??), and Kiweka Mitchell from the championship NYC GIANTS, MOTHAFUCKA!

-TheE-

Stunseed
03-02-2008, 11:13 PM
You guys got Stroud from Jax.

If he's healthy after the ankle, you guys got a Pro Bowler.

Skeeter
03-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Smith robbed the niners for a guy who doesn't have any above average skills but just plays with a high motor.

As a bengals fan. Justin Smith sucks and I'm glad to see him go.

Sean
03-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Rumor has it buffalo is really interested in Bryant Johnson. Depending on the size of his contract I'd be happy with his signing. He's not a burner but we have Lee Evans for that. Bryant has pretty good size though at 6'2-3 and approx 215lbs. I don't know too much about his hands, character, or anything outside of his measurables though as I havn't really seen him play much.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
03-03-2008, 03:13 AM
Guess I have to say it, since nobody else will. Justin Smith is a top 5 DE in the league. The fact that he's playing with a limited skillset alone highlights his abilities, not to mention the fact that the best pass rusher he's played with throughout his career was Takeo Spikes, for two seasons? He has been the only player worth double teaming on the Bengals' D-Line for the last six years, and I can easily see him taking off to his former pro-bowl level with the Niners.

As far as Bryant Johnson is concerned, he seems to be pretty much along the lines of Antonio Bryant: a quality young receiver who never developed into anything more. Expect him to give any team he plays for 30 catches and 500 yards a season, along with maybe five touchdowns. Pretty sure that he doesn't have any issues with the law, as I haven't pegged him as the type... If the Cards didn't draft into Fitz, Johnson would've commanded about 20 million more on his contract, due to durability and consistancy alone.

Drew
03-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Keep drinking the kool aid.

Skeeter
03-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Except teams didn't double team Smith.

Latrinsorm
03-03-2008, 11:10 AM
It's unbelievable to me how often championship teams lose guys to free agency. Kawika really wanted to go to the Bills? Gibril really wanted to go to the Raiders???

Anebriated
03-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Justin Smith was NEVER a top 5 DE in the league. Thats all.

Sean
03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by PBJT
As far as Bryant Johnson is concerned, he seems to be pretty much along the lines of Antonio Bryant: a quality young receiver who never developed into anything more. Expect him to give any team he plays for 30 catches and 500 yards a season, along with maybe five touchdowns. Pretty sure that he doesn't have any issues with the law, as I haven't pegged him as the type... If the Cards didn't draft into Fitz, Johnson would've commanded about 20 million more on his contract, due to durability and consistancy alone.

Johnson put up 40/500+ avg. for his career mainly as a #3 wideout playing behind 2 top flight receivers in Boldin and Fitz. Obviously part of that has to do with a pass happy cardinals offense and coverages rotated towards boldin and fitz but if, and it's a big if, Buffalo opens up it's offense more this year playing opposite Lee Evans I don't see why he couldn't improve those numbers even if it's to the offense doesn't open up on the passing end anyone is an improvement at WR2 over Josh Reed (51 rec.) who is def. a slot receiver. But this is all conditional on Buffalo actually signing Bryant, so it could be a moot point.

Sean of the Thread
03-03-2008, 11:51 AM
It's unbelievable to me how often championship teams lose guys to free agency. Kawika really wanted to go to the Bills? Gibril really wanted to go to the Raiders???

It's a business. Some people forget that.

Oh and let us not forget Kawika was a USF BULL muahahaha. Man was he awesome. He was also from Winter Park FL so it makes sense that he's going to Orchard Park...coincidence? or conspiracy?

RichardCranium
03-03-2008, 12:08 PM

The wanted to get paid. I doubt they care much who pays them.

RichardCranium
03-03-2008, 12:09 PM
It's a business. Some people forget that.

Or this.

Sean
03-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Mitchell actually didn't make much money going to the bills. He probably just identified that they had a weakness at LB and he was almost assured to keep starting. Wilson cashed in big time.

TheEschaton
03-03-2008, 12:23 PM
They'll rebuild the whole defense around Mitchell and Polusznusjdicjdfslfvsky at LB.

Now, to shore up our D-Line....and our O-Line....and our WRs...and our QB...and our secondary....hmmm....

-theE-

Sean
03-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Don't forget Crowell. They spent last year fixing the O-Line and they preformed pretty well. With another year to gel and work together and no major shakeups and a healthy jason peters I'm not too concerned about them. I liked JP more than I like Edwards but I'm in the minority there but either way I think the O will be ground game dominated. I think the biggest priorities now post Stroud & Mitchell are DB, WR, TE in that order.

TheEschaton
03-03-2008, 12:33 PM
There's rumors that they're shopping JP, actually, in Buffalo.

Sean
03-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Yea I know, JP fell out of favor last year after the cheap shot to the knee he took. I just happen to like him more than I like Edwards.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
03-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Too bad he sucks. The only thing he has going for him is being young, which pretty much makes him the best possible candidate for Oakland's backup job, due to his hairstyle.

Sean
03-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Too bad he sucks. The only thing he has going for him is being young, which pretty much makes him the best possible candidate for Oakland's backup job, due to his hairstyle.

Too bad he sucks? He has good elusiveness and mobility in the pocket and a plus arm he's also showed that he can be a good completion % guy in his only full season of work. The knocks on him are his high TD:INT ratio and his gambling/decision making based around his unwillingness to check down. Thats why Buffalo like Edwards because he's always looking to checkdown to Parrish or Reed instead of launching it to Evans. Granted thats a negative when it comes to Losman's playing style but I'd take that over throwing a 5 yard slant or rushing on 3-10 and punting every series.

Parkbandit
03-03-2008, 01:48 PM
When did Buffalo get a pro team?

Latrinsorm
03-03-2008, 03:08 PM
The wanted to get paid. I doubt they care much who pays them.It's not like they were volunteering at the Giants. If someone gave you the choice of making $30 million (30 million fucking dollars) and having a decent chance to win or the choice of making $50 million and having no chance whatsoever of winning, what player wouldn't want the $30 million one? Don't people leave higher-paying, shitty jobs all the time?

Sean
03-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Latrinsorm
It's not like they were volunteering at the Giants. If someone gave you the choice of making $30 million (30 million fucking dollars) and having a decent chance to win or the choice of making $50 million and having no chance whatsoever of winning, what player wouldn't want the $30 million one? Don't people leave higher-paying, shitty jobs all the time?

Except with the parity of the NFL especially over a 5-6 year contract term every team has a chance to win, yes some better than others but no one stays at the top forever. If you're relatively young like Girbril (26) or Mitchell (28) why wouldn't you take the $20m and hope that over the next few years your new team gets better?

Skeeter
03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
or don't take the money and hope you don't get hurt.

Latrinsorm
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Except with the parity of the NFL especially over a 5-6 year contract term every team has a chance to win, yes some better than others but no one stays at the top forever. If you're relatively young like Girbril (26) or Mitchell (28) why wouldn't you take the $20m and hope that over the next few years your new team gets better?There's a big difference between "having a decent chance to win" and "staying on top forever". The Raiders in particular just plain stink with no reason to expect a change any time soon, whereas the Giants have a second-tier quarterback in his prime, a very good running game, an elite receiver, and a very good defense. (This is without even mentioning the special teams dominance of Coffin Corner Cing Jeff Feagles.)
or don't take the money and hope you don't get hurt.Given the fact that no NFL contracts are guaranteed, I would guess everyone hopes they don't get hurt from a financial (among other) perspective.

Sean
03-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Latrinsorm
Given the fact that no NFL contracts are guaranteed, I would guess everyone hopes they don't get hurt from a financial (among other) perspective.

Thats why players hold out for additional guaranteed money and don't like franchise tags. No contract will ever be 100% guaranteed in the NFL but the higher the cap the more you can get. But that doesn't mean players can't hold the upper hand see: Larry Fitzgerald.

There's a big difference between "having a decent chance to win" and "staying on top forever". The Raiders in particular just plain stink with no reason to expect a change any time soon, whereas the Giants have a second-tier quarterback in his prime, a very good running game, an elite receiver, and a very good defense. (This is without even mentioning the special teams dominance of Coffin Corner Cing Jeff Feagles.)

Not really. A lot of teams have turned it around in 1 season of strategic rebuilding. Did you think the Bucs were going to be a playoff team before last season? Browns? How far did the 49ers drop off last season? Houston could start vying for a playoff spot any season now. etc. Theres no indication that the Raiders will be bad every season of Gibril's contract nor is there any indication that the giants would be good the whole time had he chosen to stay in NYC.

Ogreslayer
03-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Gibril Wilson has his ring, so the appeal of playing for a contender is less than for someone who has never earned a ring, and this is his chance at the big money.

Wilson may also see the decline of the Giants defense on the horizon. I expect Spagnuolo is going to be leaving for a HC position after next season (the Redskins job was a terrible situation), and the loss of some key players will make it hard to maintain their strong play.

Latrinsorm
03-03-2008, 05:12 PM
The Raiders don't play in the NFC South, where any team (even the Bucs) has a legitimate shot at winning the division any given year. Houston's been getting better steadily for the past 4 years (minus a lame duck season), they just have the bad luck of playing in the toughest division in football, etc. etc.

There are always teams that perform better or worse than expectations. The point is that anyone who expects the Raiders to do better than the Giants in the next 3 years is an idiot or a homer (or a bitter Pats fan), and you can't name one team that went from 2-14 and 4-12 to the playoffs in one year.

BigWorm
03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
and you can't name one team that went from 2-14 and 4-12 to the playoffs in one year.

Thanks for the softball. St. Louis Rams were 4-12 in 1998, last place in NFC West, then went 13-3 in the regular season and won the Super Bowl in 1999.

Do I get a prize?

Sean
03-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Who said it has to happen in 1 season anyway? Carolina Panthers went 1-15 in 2001, 7-9 in 2002, and NFC Super Bowl reps in 2003 at 11-5. The Bears were 5-11 in 2004 and a playoff team in 2005 at 11-5. The Jets were 4-12 in 2005 and a playoff team in 2006. It's not really rare for teams to turn their play around.

Latrinsorm
03-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the softball. St. Louis Rams were 4-12 in 1998, last place in NFC West, then went 13-3 in the regular season and won the Super Bowl in 1999.

Do I get a prize?If you'll notice, the statement was "from 2-14 and 4-12". Forget the Rams, the last team to make the playoffs after a 4-12 season was Sean2's Bucs this year. Neither the 2007 Bucs nor the 1999 Rams were 2-14 the season before their 4-12 campaign, however.

In short, your prize is a free reading lesson! :)
Who said it has to happen in 1 season anyway?Well... you did. I was content with pointing out that the Giants have a vastly superior immediate future to the Raiders.

Sean
03-03-2008, 06:07 PM
If you'll notice, the statement was "from 2-14 and 4-12". Forget the Rams, the last team to make the playoffs after a 4-12 season was Sean2's Bucs this year. Neither the 2007 Bucs nor the 1999 Rams were 2-14 the season before their 4-12 campaign, however.

In short, your prize is a free reading lesson! :)Well... you did. I was content with pointing out that the Giants have a vastly superior immediate future to the Raiders.

Your Colts went 3-13 in 1997, 3-13 in 1998 (OMG PEYTON NO) and 13-3 in 1999.

More recently the chargers have turned a history of crapitude into a consistant playoff force through smart drafting and luck.

Latrinsorm
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
That's true, my statement does have a margin of error of the best quarterback ever, so if the Raiders picked up Peyton Manning then I'd say way to go, Gibril!

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
03-04-2008, 04:44 AM
Too bad he sucks? He has good elusiveness and mobility in the pocket and a plus arm he's also showed that he can be a good completion % guy in his only full season of work. The knocks on him are his high TD:INT ratio and his gambling/decision making based around his unwillingness to check down. Thats why Buffalo like Edwards because he's always looking to checkdown to Parrish or Reed instead of launching it to Evans. Granted thats a negative when it comes to Losman's playing style but I'd take that over throwing a 5 yard slant or rushing on 3-10 and punting every series.

Good elusiveness and mobility in the pocket, plus arm, good completion % guy in a full season... knocked for td:int? The Bills like Edwards because he's always looking to check down, etc...

Now then: that we've officially repeated everything you've said minus the nonsense, would you honestly take someone who you describe as an inexperienced Steve McNair, or an undersized Daunte Culpepper, over Brad Johnson 2.0? Buffalo has a solid starter in Edwards, and while he wont be fun to watch, he shouldn't need to be. Quarterbacks don't need to win games outright anymore, Adrian Peterson single-handedly proved that. Edwards can check the ball to Evans, who has decent YAC potential each time he touches the ball, or simply let Lynch pound away. Give him two more offensive weapons, and he'll prove to be every bit as effective as Jeff Garcia, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Trent Green, and every other quarterback in the conservative, smart quarterback mold has been.

Anywho, Losman just doesn't work, and I see him as every bit of the bust I see whenever I look at David Carr. Sure, you could claim they've had moderate protection at best throughout their careers, but they still wont go into the books as shockingly better than Joey Harrington, who everyone seems to love to rip on... and hey, at least Joey cuts his hair.

Sean
03-04-2008, 12:25 PM
would you honestly take someone who you describe as an inexperienced Steve McNair, or an undersized Daunte Culpepper, over Brad Johnson 2.0

10 times out of 10. Otherwise I'd be here lobbying for the Bills the acquire Brad Johnson 1.0.

Buffalo has a solid starter in Edwards

They won gave despite Edwards not because of Edwards. When did he actually prove to be a solid starter? He had a season completion % of 56.1 for a pitiful 6.06 YPA. Putting him down there with Rex Grossman, Kellen Clemens, Cleo Lemon, and Brodie Croyle.

Quarterbacks don't need to win games outright anymore, Adrian Peterson single-handedly proved that. Edwards can check the ball to Evans, who has decent YAC potential each time he touches the ball, or simply let Lynch pound away. Give him two more offensive weapons, and he'll prove to be every bit as effective as Jeff Garcia, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Trent Green, and every other quarterback in the conservative, smart quarterback mold has been.

I think the big thing missing here from your equivocation of 2007 or the upcoming 2008 Buffalo Bills to those QBs and situations are the systems. You can't really compare the Buffalo scheme and say a player will evolve into X if the system is Y. You can compare buffalo to itself or other Dick Jauron run teams with better success probably where the QB is essentially a non player (see: Cade McNown and Jim Miller). Garcia is a WCO guru, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer won it all with the #1 defenses. Trent Green would probably be a fair comparison if Dick Jauron contacts Vermeil to install the Greatest Show on Turf Tundra Style, Lynch turns into Priest Holmes/Larry Johnson, the o line develops into an all world offensive line, Edwards increases his completion percentage to somewhere in the mid 60% range, they draft/sign a red zone threat like gonzo, etc.

LMingrone
03-04-2008, 01:22 PM
You can't really compare the Buffalo scheme and say a player will evolve into X if the system is Y.

I disagree. There are plenty of examples in all the major sports. Some players just don't give a fuck if they hate the scheme, managers, and the coaches.

I might be totally wrong here, but look at the Lakers as an example. I know if I was making a mil+ a year I could care less unless I knew I had a good chance at a championship.

X+$=Y

Sean
03-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I disagree. There are plenty of examples in all the major sports. Some players just don't give a fuck if they hate the scheme, managers, and the coaches.

We're discussing skill sets in a scheme not desire to play. If you don't have the skills to play in the desired scheme it wont work for you, this is especially true for QBs in football. Do you think any WCO offenses are going to pay for the Drew Bledsoe statue types to run the scheme?

Anebriated
03-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Jevon Walker is now off the board. Signed a 6 year 55 million(16 guaranteed) deal with the Raiders.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
03-05-2008, 03:44 AM
Wow, you know... if the Raiders finally get O-Line production, they could actually have a pretty solid team. Four decent halfbacks, two decent, young receivers (with Curry and now Walker), a quarterback with possibly the best arm in football, and a young defense that's just starting to grow into their shoes. SIGN ME UP!

BTW: plz for the love of god draft a burner... Walker can't outrun Jay Cutler's arm, which likely means he wont be able to catch up to Russell's... and no, Tim Dwight and Huggins aren't good enough. Also: why in the world is LaMont Jordan still a HB on the Raiders? Put him at FB and let Fargas, Rhodes, Bush, Lee, and Echemandu compete for the platoon. Also, am I the only one thinking Shockey would be PERFECT for the Raiders right now? Bring the swagger back to the Black and White, that a broken down Warren Sapp couldn't.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
03-05-2008, 03:46 AM
We're discussing skill sets in a scheme not desire to play. If you don't have the skills to play in the desired scheme it wont work for you, this is especially true for QBs in football. Do you think any WCO offenses are going to pay for the Drew Bledsoe statue types to run the scheme?

The Niner's paid Alex Smith, didn't they?

Bregus
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Walker is one of the biggest crybabies in sports, he's just not good enough for everyone to know about it. He's lucky to find a team like Oakland where he's the #1 by default, but by next year somebody's gonna step up and steal his spotlight.. he'll bitch and moan his way outta town just like he did in Green Bay and Denver. He'll play in half the games and still strut around town like he owns it. Good luck dealing with that guy at 9 mil a year. Biggest rip-off this offseason.