View Full Version : Velvette...

Kurapira
12-15-2003, 09:41 PM
Caladrial softly says, "Oh..i just havent sacrificed you yet."

Devix quietly says, "Barely is right."

Ezre begins chuckling at Caladrial!

Mordja twiddles his thumbs.

Starwig nods.

Velvette says, "Cool, I'll send it when I can't cast the major elementals anymore."

Velvette sits down.

Caladrial winks at Myitkyina.

Velvette smiles.

Devix takes a bite of her acantha leaf.
Devix looks a little better.

Ezre asks, "How long do I have to wait?"

You stare at nothing in particular.

Mordja grins at Velvette.

Ezre fidgets.

Mordja nods to Velvette.

Velvette loses an aura of resolve.

Velvette says, "The phsician is in."

Velvette loses her intense expression.

Velvette says, "Physician."

Velvette babbles something unintelligible.

Brisbey says, "I caould use ya."

Velvette nods to Devix.

Brisbey smiles at Velvette.

Ezre asks, "Did I mention I'm impatient and want things right now?"

Caladrial softly says, "It depends upon how quickly i run out of volunteers."

Starwig grins.

Aerofoil asks, "Oh--could I get an arm minor patched up, physician?"

Mordja slaps himself on the forehead.

Mordja stands up.

Velvette meditates over Devix.
Velvette takes Devix's abdomen damage.

Devix put some acantha leaf in her treasure bag.

Speaking to Velvette, you ask, "Is it chilly here?"

Velvette takes Devix's right leg damage.

Velvette takes Devix's chest damage.

Aerofoil smiles at Velvette.

Velvette takes Devix's left hand damage.

Velvette says, "Sure."

Velvette takes Devix's left arm damage.

Velvette says, "I need to heal the bleeding first."

Ezre says, "I bet this lady would help ya, she looks like the giving sort."

Ezre glances at Terrabi.

Velvette takes Devix's neck damage.

Ezre nods to Caladrial.

Velvette traces a sign while beseeching the spirits for empowerment...

Velvette gestures at Devix.
CS: +216 - TD: +155 + CvA: +2 + d100: +22 - -5 == +90
Warded off!

Velvette says, "Ack."

Ezre begins chuckling at Velvette!

Devix giggles.

Velvette takes some of Devix's blood loss.

You stare at nothing in particular.

Velvette says, "That's only bind."

Velvette babbles something unintelligible.

Ezre says, "Devix is NOT a trali. Bad Velvette."

Velvette murmurs a simple, mystical chant...

Velvette concentrates.
Velvette looks a little better.

Ezre shakes his head at Velvette and clucks his tongue.

Mordja just arrived.

Velvette takes all of Devix's blood loss.

Mordja sits down.

>l velv
You see Velvette the Physician.
She appears to be a Sylvankind.
She appears to be youthful and average height. She has long-lashed crystal blue eyes and fair skin. She has waist length, ringleted honey blonde hair swept back from the temples. She has a heart-shaped face and dimpled cheeks.
She has some minor cuts and bruises on her left arm, a fractured and bleeding right leg, some minor cuts and bruises on her left hand, deep lacerations across her chest, deep lacerations across her abdominal area, and minor bruises on her neck.
She has old battle scars on her right arm, old battle scars on her left arm, old battle scars on her right leg, old battle scars on her right hand, old battle scars on her left hand, an old battle scar across her abdominal area, an old battle scar across her back, a black-and-blue right eye, a black-and-blue left eye, developed slurred speech, and a scar across her face.
She is bleeding from the chest, from the abdomen, and from the right leg.
She is wearing a princess-cut pink sapphire earcuff, an aloeas stem talisman, a wispy black spidersilk cloak, a snow pansy, an invar-spiked glaes tower shield, a black velvet choker accented with a dangling crystal sovyn blossom, a furry white goat pin, a pair of dangling silver calla lily earrings accented with tiny white diamond spadices, an embroidered black velvet sack, an embroidered satin thigh sheath, some ora-laced raven velvet slippers, a silver leaf-shaped pin, a glaes spider charm, a silver elven knotwork anklet, some forest green elven leathers, a twisted black mithril chain, a luxurious dark silk coin pouch, a stunning cerulean-hued skirt, and a narrow gold ring.

All to often do I see this character on the dais. I rest there and I see her constantly doing things accidentally. Personally, it reminds me someone that bought a character and didn't know how to use their abilities. Beware the Velveteen (sp?) rabbit. Makes Kurapira twitch a lot, and what kind of name is that?

<edited to get rid of background noise>

[Edited on 12-16-2003 by Kurapira]

GSLeloo
12-15-2003, 09:54 PM
Aw I think Velvette is really sweet. She heals and refuses to take my tips.

Kurapira
12-15-2003, 10:07 PM
I have seen plenty of sweet-but-stupid chicks in GS. Take your pick Leloo.

Killer Kitten
12-16-2003, 05:34 AM
<<All to often do I see this character on the dais. I rest there and I see her constantly doing things accidentally. Personally, it reminds me someone that bought a character and didn't know how to use their abilities. Beware the Velveteen (sp?) rabbit. Makes Kurapira twitch a lot, and what kind of name is that? >>

Why must it be that everytime somebody doesn't play with absolute perfection they must obviously be a bought soul? Just so you know, Velvette is a third character, her player has played mostly a sorcerer and a wizard since at least 1996. (That's when I started playing and she'd been here awhile.) That and her player is from California. :)

I'm constantly making errors when I play my non-empath characters, for craps sake. Oh, wait, that must mean I bought them, huh? Or maybe it means that some of us just PLAY, and do it without the benefit of reams of notes for each character. And some of us are human, and make mistakes and typos.

Kimm/Tilone:saint:

SpunGirl
12-16-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Kurapira
I have seen plenty of sweet-but-stupid chicks in GS. Take your pick Leloo.

I agree with you here.

-K

Soulpieced
12-16-2003, 08:31 AM
The player of Velvette has been around as long, if not longer than I have. One of her main characters (she has a lot) is a bard. I of course have no problem with any of them, as she is very good at not letting out who she is with any obviousness.

Adhara
12-16-2003, 08:45 AM
Not to take anything away from you or her, Soulpieced, but I think how long you've been around is irrelevant in this case. And if we choose to make it relevant, then unfortunately it would play against her.

Knowing the basic mechanics of your profession (like your spells) is something accessible with a minimum time investment.

Now I don't know Velvette at all nor have I ever experienced anything to make me want to target my above mentioned general opinion to her specifically. I just think having played for a number of years doesn't grant you some sort of immunity.

Soulpieced
12-16-2003, 09:01 AM
The instance of me saying she's been around as long as I have also includes I have known her for 5+ years, and have nothing wrong with her characters because she RP's more than most people I know. On a side note, she accidentally cast bind on someone, 114 is UnPoison and an easy slip in case she though this Devix character was poisoned.

Killer Kitten
12-16-2003, 09:13 AM
<<Knowing the basic mechanics of your profession (like your spells) is something accessible with a minimum time investment. >>

And even knowing your basic mechanics, sometimes you screw up. Ti was my first character, I've played her for years, and I STILL manage to bind myself or my hunting partners with embarassing regularity. So what? It's a GAME. Shit happens. The only time an error becomes a big deal is when somebody decides to turn it into one. Surprisingly, when errors are ignored, they become what they are. Nothing.

Kimm/Tilone

Parkbandit
12-16-2003, 09:31 AM
I never make mistakes.

I have never EVER had my wizard use spell 409 when casting strength on someone. It did NOT cause my wizard to go to jail and pay a 200K fine.

I have never had my rogue whisper to his mark "Hey, <mark> has coins, clean him out".

I have never had my empath try to steal from someone... even though he has zero ranks in pickpocketing.

I have never played my cleric with a normal accent on accident.

I am perfection. I AM the Parkbandit.

Adhara
12-16-2003, 09:36 AM
We all make mistakes and that's fine. I never implied otherwise. I was merely pointing out that playing for years or being sweet has nothing to do with it. That's all I was saying.

Wezas
12-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Adhara
Knowing the basic mechanics of your profession (like your spells) is something accessible with a minimum time investment.

Shonison appears to be focusing his thoughts while chanting softly...
>Shonison gestures.
As an intense look of concentration crosses Shonison's face, pearlescent energy begins to cascade around him!
CS: +400 - TD: +258 + CvA: +12 + d100: +6 == +160
Warding failed!
Shonison shudders with sporadic convulsions as pearlescent ripples envelop his body.
Shonison is smashed for 55 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Strong blow to back!
He is stunned!
... 30 points of damage!
Hard strike to left arm breaking tendons and bone!

* Shonison drops dead at your feet!

The dim aura fades from around Shonison.
The air calms down around Shonison.
The white light leaves Shonison.
The very powerful look leaves Shonison.
The powerful look leaves Shonison.

Happens to the best of us.

Wezas
12-16-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
I have never had my rogue whisper to his mark "Hey, <mark> has coins, clean him out".

Glad to know I'm not the only one to have never done that.

Adhara
12-16-2003, 09:45 AM
Eeesh I must have expressed myself very poorly. I will try again. Making mistakes is normal. I make mistakes, I expect others to make mistakes. I was not outraged nor surprised to see a log of someone making a mistake. However *IF* someone (anyone) is incompetent with their profession's mechanics (and let me state again, this is not a targeted statement!), then having played other characters for many years is no excuse.

I apologize if my first post was not clear and I hope this clears it up.

StrayRogue
12-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Heh, I've ambushed by hunting partner before >.<

Chyrain
12-16-2003, 10:03 AM
I never make mistakes.

I have never EVER had my wizard use spell 409 when casting strength on someone. It did NOT cause my wizard to go to jail and pay a 200K fine.

I have never had my empath try to steal from someone... even though he has zero ranks in pickpocketing.

I have never played my cleric with a normal accent on accident.

word. my empath bound herself in harbs while she was trying to cast minor sanct less than a month ago. And I have all sorts of macros set up for healing and hunting, but sometimes I forget to change the set and instead of healing myself down, cast a spell at someone with the same three letters in their name as the critters i hunt.

shit happens. It's a game, people should have a sense of humor when it comes to crap like that. It amazes me how people can sit and play for hours and hours with 17 foot poles shoved directly up their asses.

Wezas
12-16-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Heh, I've ambushed by hunting partner before >.<

Stop hunting in rats and perhaps you won't be mistaken as one. Or will you?

Wezas
12-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Healing down...

>prep 111
You utter a light chant and raise your hands, beckoning the lesser spirits to aid you with the Fire Spirit spell...
Your spell is ready.

>cure
Perhaps you mean cast?

Cure = Lifesaver, multiple times.

Parkbandit
12-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Chyrainshit happens. It's a game, people should have a sense of humor when it comes to crap like that. It amazes me how people can sit and play for hours and hours with 17 foot poles shoved directly up their asses.

I agree with you sometimes... although I still am rather demanding.

I demand that you keep your OOC shit to yourself.

I demand that you roleplay how you believe your character would act in this time period.

I demand that you not use OOC methods to try and bolster your lack of roleplaying skill.

Everyone makes mistakes... but as long as you keep it in character.. you won't catch shit from me or my 17' pole.

Miss X
12-16-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Wezas
Healing down...

>prep 111
You utter a light chant and raise your hands, beckoning the lesser spirits to aid you with the Fire Spirit spell...
Your spell is ready.

>cure
Perhaps you mean cast?

Cure = Lifesaver, multiple times.

:lol: Cure saves my life once a day at least. I'm always doing prep 110 instead of 1101!

DeV
12-16-2003, 10:54 AM
I really didnt see what she did that was horribly wrong. Looks like a mistake was made.. who doesnt make em.

Halfsilver
12-16-2003, 11:02 AM
I've had a friend who has mistakenly cast 525 when trying for 425. That causes some serious problems.

It's happened more than once, and he has lost a lot of stuff for it.

Have to admit, it was pretty funny, though.

- D

Lyonis
12-16-2003, 01:53 PM
I heard you weren't considered a real ranger until you spikethorned yourself.

Lyonis,
Ranger many many times over, and even made a few hunting partners rangers too.::whistle::

Latrinsorm
12-16-2003, 02:03 PM
I got a (rude) send for saying cool a few years ago.

GM's suck.

Kurili
12-16-2003, 02:30 PM
It's always so amusing to be on a rescue in a hazardous area and accidentally slip and cast 214 instead of 213. I know I've done it, more than once. And always with witnesses other than the deceased, dagnabbit.

Acolyte Kurili

Weedmage Princess
12-16-2003, 03:58 PM

People who think they are perfect are a huge annoyance to those of us who truly are :cool:

Parkbandit
12-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess

People who think they are perfect are a huge annoyance to those of us who truly are :cool:

I know! :mad:

Kurapira
12-17-2003, 02:53 AM
Alright, to clear things up. As I thought I did state in my first post. She does this constantly. I agree, we all do make mistakes, but every day you are in there? My god. I have other souls too, and I make mistakes as well..does not mean that my casting at other people "accidentally" all the time is right either. That was what I was pointing out.

In addition, I was also pointing out her name. I did try to post it on the other thread that is dedicated to such a cause. I would also like to comment on my other statements, such as:

Personally, it reminds me someone that bought a character and didn't know how to use their abilities.

This was my opinion. She does act like she was just out of the generator. I was only stating a possibilty to the cause of her inability to cure others. In no way did I trash her "personality" or the person herself. Just how she handles her "abilities" with that specific character.

Killer Kitten
12-17-2003, 05:31 AM
<<This was my opinion. She does act like she was just out of the generator. I was only stating a possibilty to the cause of her inability to cure others. In no way did I trash her "personality" or the person herself. Just how she handles her "abilities" with that specific character. >>

Sounds to me more like you have a problem with the girl personally and are trying to get the rest of the world to agree with you. If people started putting her down would it make you feel better? I can't think of why else you'd start a thread about her and bring her up in another thread. To me it sounds like you're desperately hoping that people will find something to trash about her. Or maybe you're hoping somebody will point her towards these boards and she'll read it and get her feelings hurt.

Kimm/Tilone

SpunGirl
12-17-2003, 07:10 AM
I see Kurapira's point. Obviously you haven't been reading long enough to see how "personal" attacks on these boards really go.

She was commenting on the character's behavior is all. Feel free to disagree with her by all means, but don't try to make it bigger or somehow more vicious than it actually was.

-K

Kurapira
12-17-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Killer Kitten
<<This was my opinion. She does act like she was just out of the generator. I was only stating a possibilty to the cause of her inability to cure others. In no way did I trash her "personality" or the person herself. Just how she handles her "abilities" with that specific character. >>

Sounds to me more like you have a problem with the girl personally and are trying to get the rest of the world to agree with you. If people started putting her down would it make you feel better? I can't think of why else you'd start a thread about her and bring her up in another thread. To me it sounds like you're desperately hoping that people will find something to trash about her. Or maybe you're hoping somebody will point her towards these boards and she'll read it and get her feelings hurt.

Kimm/Tilone

A note for yourself..

Reread this thread.

If I wanted to trash her, I could have done worse. Secondly, I did not personally attack her. On the third, IF I wanted to get her feelings hurt, I could have just directed her to this myself and tell her off. Again, not my intention.

Calm down, you are wrong. Deal.

Killer Kitten
12-17-2003, 11:14 AM
<<Calm down, you are wrong. Deal. >>

Calm I am. I've read the thread. Maybe you just don't realize how you sound. No you're not leaping up and down screaming 'Velvette is a bitch'. You are, however, repeatedly implying that her character came to her by purchase and not her own work, and you have admitted posting in another thread how stupid you think her name is. Subtle venom is just as poisonous as the more spectacular varieties. She's a nice person. She makes slips sometimes, proving that she's human. Deal.

Kimm/Tilone

Chelle
12-17-2003, 04:05 PM
She didn't even imply that the character is bought. She just said she ACTS like it. There is a difference, Kimm/Tillone. And to say the name Velvette is stupid or sounds stupid, is just an opinion. Hey, I think it's dumb and unimaginative too. Uh oh that must mean I have personal issues with the char. Nope, never spoken to the char, but I have seen her around. You really need to relax a bit, Tilone. People have opinions. Deal.

DaMaGe
12-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Kimm's just grasping at straws, as usual.

The whole 'conspiracy theory' deal again. She does it all the time, just ignore it.

-Adam

Killer Kitten
12-17-2003, 07:17 PM
<<People have opinions. Deal. >>

And my opinion is that she sounds like she has a personal issue with Velvette. Deal.

Kimm/Tilone

As far as 'conspiracy theory' goes... as my favorite joke with the bad punchline says: If the foo shits, wear it. Silly me, trying to defend somebody who, for all the years I've known her, has never done anything malicious to anybody. She makes typos and you don't like her name. Great reason to talk about her like she's last weeks swill.

DaMaGe
12-17-2003, 07:22 PM
I never said anything about the girl.

I just commented on you reading more into something than is really there. Again.

It just gets old is all.

-Adam

Kurili
12-17-2003, 07:29 PM
One thing you must remember, Tilone, is that Player's Corner is NOT the Simu boards. If someone has a complaint about a character, they complain. It's the nature of our PC beast here.

And I will agree, that there really has been no flaming. You want to see flames, look in some other posts. Also, I am not fond of the name, but that is just my opinion.

Acolyte Kurili

Killer Kitten
12-17-2003, 07:36 PM
<<I just commented on you reading more into something than is really there. Again. >>

And you know for an absolute certain fact that I'm way off base because....? Generally if there's smoke, there's a fire. Sometimes a tiny little fire, but a fire nevertheless.

K/T

DaMaGe
12-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Yeah, but there's no smoke. That's my point.

About her name; It's not something I would pick, but I wouldn't report her for it either. It's stupid, but within policy. Like THAT matters.

-Adam

Killer Kitten
12-17-2003, 08:01 PM
I guess I just don't get the whole 'why' of the thing. Why somebody would come to a public board and actually write something awful and embarassing about somebody they claim to have no beef with. Hell, I wouldn't even write a bad word about Urgoyle and he and I tussled so dreadfully in the game that a GM had to threaten us both with banishment to end the war.
I just don't understand the attraction in standing up, scooping up a healthy handful of mud, and slinging it at somebody. What's the point? Do they expect the person to read the thread and say 'ohmigod my name is hated quick let me reroll my post-legend character that I've worked on for years even though I like her name'?
I don't understand what the originator of this thread gained by coming here and saying nasty things about Velvette. What was accomplished and what was the point? Did posting that stuff actually cause good feelings?

K/T

StrayRogue
12-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Thats what most people get off on, on these board KT. They like their little group mud slinging and bitching. I guess its why alot of people come here.

DaMaGe
12-17-2003, 08:07 PM
Number one, the things said WERE NOT THAT BAD.

Number two, venting is very therapeutic.

Number three, life isn't all huggy smoochy let's all get along crap like people seem to want so badly. Conflicts happen. Deal with it.

-Adam

Kurili
12-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Hey! I liked Urgoyle! You stop saying mean things about him NOW!

Acolyte Kurili, tongue in cheek

Killer Kitten
12-17-2003, 08:47 PM
<<Number three, life isn't all huggy smoochy let's all get along crap like people seem to want so badly. Conflicts happen. Deal with it. >>

Conflicts happen, yes. I just don't get why people seek them and what they hope to gain by provoking them, particularly in an OOC forum. You're a good example, Adam. It's obvious you don't like me much, but what can you possibly gain from sniping at me on a mesage board? Ever think of maybe just talking to me about it? It would probably resolve whatever issues you have with me a lot faster than these little digs.

K/T

Killer Kitten
12-17-2003, 08:51 PM
<<Number one, the things said WERE NOT THAT BAD. >>

To you they weren't bad, but you're not Velvette's player. To her they were unprovoked and anonymous snipes from her fellow players, and rather hurtful.

K/T

HarmNone
12-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Kurili

Heh. Urgoyle held the dubious honor of being the only character colored in that lovely puke yellow-brown on my Wizard when I played. What a jackass that was!

HarmNone did not like Urgoyle

DaMaGe
12-17-2003, 08:59 PM
If she cares that much about what another person, who doesn't know her, said about her on a message board for a GAME that we all play she should re-evaluate her ties to the game and characters that she plays in it.

-Adam

Kurili
12-17-2003, 09:01 PM
Again, Tilone, you by now do know how the Player's Corner is. And our people vent. We do not follow the guildelines of the Official Boards. You seem to be beating this horse to a bloody pulp you know. The whole thread would probably just fade away soon, they generally do.

Acolyte Kurili

HarmNone
12-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Conflicts are going to be. The official boards do not allow for the airing of grievances among players. Therefore, the players come here to air their grievances. Often, the things said are unpleasant, but that is the nature of conflict.

If one is injured by comments made on a message board concerning an imaginary character they play in a fantasy game, that person really needs to take a step back and reevaluate his/her priorities.

Most of us here have been insulted on this board or another, at some time along the way. For some of us, the insults have been leveled at us...the player. For others, the character gets the brunt of the insults. Either way, one must learn not to let the comments of people one does not even know result in bad feelings within oneself. It is all a game. No more than that. It should be taken as such. :)

HarmNone is who she wishes to be, most of the time

DaMaGe
12-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Great minds think alike, or so they say.

-Adam

Tsa`ah
12-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Kurili

You must die step child.

I had a whole bag of thorns reserved just for that idiot.

Kurili
12-17-2003, 10:17 PM
But...but...I can explain, really I can, Brother.

Acolyte Kurili

Jonty
12-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Conflicts happen, yes. I just don't get why people seek them and what they hope to gain by provoking them, particularly in an OOC forum.

Welcome to the forums. ;)

- Me

Kurili
12-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Alrighty, got my explanation!

I am old. I am losing my mind. Memory loss has kicked in. Darn birthdays anyway, messing with my memory.

Acolyte Kurili

DeV
12-17-2003, 10:37 PM
If one is injured by comments made on a message board concerning an imaginary character they play in a fantasy game, that person really needs to take a step back and reevaluate his/her priorities.

great statement except in the fact that one would have to ask themselves as they make comments on a message board about an imaginary character from a fantasy game.. "what is my purpose in doing this and should I reaevaluate My priorities".

When it all comes down to it i dont fault people for getting out of context with their feelings when it comes to stuff like this. To me its entertaining to see folks get so worked up about a game... When we bring it here, we are then taking it out of the context of the game.

SpunGirl
12-18-2003, 05:39 AM
I guess I just don't get the whole 'why' of the thing. Why somebody would come to a public board and actually write something awful and embarassing about somebody they claim to have no beef with......
I just don't understand the attraction in standing up, scooping up a healthy handful of mud, and slinging it at somebody. What's the point?
K/T

Based on these sentiments, my advice to you would be to definitely stay away from the "complaints" folder, and possibly to stay away from these boards all together.

If you don't like it, don't read it. But this IS the complaints folder, people WILL complain here, and nine times out of ten it wil be much more nasty that Kurapira's very tame post. No amount of philosophising the usefulness of such posts will change that. Sorry.

-K

DeV
12-18-2003, 11:14 AM
I come here for the enjoyment of watching cyber mud be slung around..

[Edited on 12-18-2003 by DarkelfVold to change wording. ]

[Edited on 12-18-2003 by DarkelfVold]

Solkern
12-18-2003, 11:22 AM
I've done so much shit by accident, My first character was a sorcerer and i use to sit down and pop my own boxes and I sware atleast once a day i'd cast 409 instead of 408 and kill myself
Same with my Wizard and ranger, i've spiked myself so many damn times
525 when I ment to 425. it's kinda funny actually

[Edited on 12-18-2003 by Solkern]

Killer Kitten
12-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Lady Daina Therefore, if a person is getting upset about something said about a character in a game, I think it's time to take a step back and really think about things.

Some people play GS because they're at a point in their life where they have little else. Maybe they're ill, or in pain, or have suffered a loss, and this is where they choose to escape from what has happened to them. Oftentimes such folks will get too wrapped up in Gemstone happenings and what goes on with their character and yes that isn't healthy. But it is their coping mechanism and their way to escape from a reality that at that point in their life is nothing but a place that should be escaped from.

When I first started playing here I had lost somebody I deeply loved. As I was getting over that I got hurt and spent a couple of years with an amazing amount of physical pain permeating every waking moment, and often shoving me out of sleep. (Anybody who's ever blown a couple disks knows exactly the agony I'm talking about.) During those days I WAS Ti. Walking around in her shoes was the only way I had to temporarily forget the agony and incapacitation I was suffering in the real world. I lived through her because I could immerse myself in her and walk around free from the pain that had become my world.

I shudder to think what an awful citizen of Elanthia I was in those days. But I remember being grateful when people would show me kindness, especially when I was so undeserving. No, it isn't wholesome or healthy to bury yourself in a game, but sometimes it's the only way you can find any kind of happiness and forget about how much pain (physical, mental or emotional) you're going through.

It's very easy to toss off a zinger to somebody. I guess my own experience taught me (and a long hard lesson it was, I admit I'm slow) that behind every game character is a real person, and you don't know if that person has cancer, or is paralyzed, or just lost their spouse or child. The zinger is the cheap and easy way to deal with somebody, but the cheap and easy way generally isn't the right way.

K/T

Solkern
12-18-2003, 11:35 AM
That was beautiful

Myshel
12-18-2003, 11:54 AM
Couldn't have said it better Dania. I too did some really stupid things in GS when I started, for all the above rl reasons. Does it excuse what I did, said, lied about, ect. NO! When I got in over my head and realized what a ass I was, I aplogized to all those concerned and vowed to change. I have I believe and I'm much happier in game and out.

Overlord
12-18-2003, 11:59 AM
*Salutes Daina*
I'd have to say my opinion in this matter coincides with your own BUT i can't deny that me being in a shiesty mood effects Dimmus behaviour to some extent. After all.... I am Dimmu....

Solkern
12-18-2003, 12:00 PM
To make errors is to be human.

Killer Kitten
12-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Lady Daina

Are we, as people who play a game, required to sit and try to decipher what a person's RL issues are before we post about their character, on an OOG BBS? Nope. Because a person's RL issues should have NO BEARING on the game. If it does, that doesn't make it OUR FAULT. We come here to talk about characters in a game. Noone requires ANY of these people to come here and read the criticism, constructive or otherwise. If they're THAT distraught over things posted here they can do one of a couple things. 1) Don't read here. 2) Change the behaviors in game that people are talking about.

I don't mean to sound cold or nasty, honestly I don't. I'm just getting tired of the dead horse here, and people trying to push blame onto others that is not theirs to bear. I'm sincerely sorry your friend is having a hard time IRL. I'm also sincerely sorry if she's upset by what is said here. However, that does not mean we don't have EVERY right to say it.

[Edited on 12-18-2003 by Lady Daina]

Our sole requirement in this life is to die. (And for most of us, to pay taxes.) Kindness, mercy and compassion are certainly not mandatory character traits for any of us, and for the most part these emotions do not come naturally to human beings. We are certainly not required to feel these things or live by them. It's just really refreshing to meet people who attempt to do so.

K/T

And on that note, I think I'll stop. The issues facing Velvette's player and the courage this woman shows each and every day of her life are her secrets to keep or to share as she sees fit. I just couldn't stand to see this amazing person being sneered at for the crime of macro mixups, typographical errors, or choosing a name some people had issues with. But I've said my say, people will listen or they will not.

The Cat In The Hat
12-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Lady DainaAre we, as people who play a game, required to sit and try to decipher what a person's RL issues are before we post about their character, on an OOG BBS? Nope. Because a person's RL issues should have NO BEARING on the game. If it does, that doesn't make it OUR FAULT. We come here to talk about characters in a game. Noone requires ANY of these people to come here and read the criticism, constructive or otherwise. If they're THAT distraught over things posted here they can do one of a couple things. 1) Don't read here. 2) Change the behaviors in game that people are talking about.[Edited on 12-18-2003 by Lady Daina]

I can see why some people do take personal offence to the things said here. Most people don't RP, *I* RP myself. Everything she thinks, I pretty much do as well. When she does something, its because its what *I* would have done and her personality is just like me.

So, attacking her personality would kinda be like an attack on mine.

This isnt to excuse any behavior or discourage posting about my fuck-ups, just a POV some people might not have thought about.

For you RP hounds, NO I don't exactly RP, but I do stay in "character".

Cat

StrayRogue
12-18-2003, 01:27 PM
If you want to RP yourself, thats fine in my book. Like you said Cat, you remain in character. I wouldn't care if 99% of the game just RPed themselves, only if they did stay IC. Its a shame they don't.

DeV
12-18-2003, 01:28 PM
i agree... and like i stated before i dont see where she did anything wrong. she made a simple lil mistake. could and has happened to the best of us.

The Cat In The Hat
12-18-2003, 01:51 PM
And even knowing your basic mechanics, sometimes you screw up. Ti was my first character, I've played her for years, and I STILL manage to bind myself or my hunting partners with embarassing regularity. So what? It's a GAME. Shit happens. The only time an error becomes a big deal is when somebody decides to turn it into one. Surprisingly, when errors are ignored, they become what they are. Nothing.

Kimm/Tilone

OMG! I know im late with commenting on this but I've never really played anything but an empath (12 or so years) and I still do it too. And I cant tell you how many times I've cast 1108 at someone meaning to use 108. yeah, that sucks while hunting.

Cat

*Edited because I messed up the quote thingie. :bouncy:

[Edited on 12-18-2003 by The Cat In The Hat]

Chelle
12-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Myshel
Couldn't have said it better Dania. I too did some really stupid things in GS when I started, for all the above rl reasons. Does it excuse what I did, said, lied about, ect. NO! When I got in over my head and realized what a ass I was, I aplogized to all those concerned and vowed to change. I have I believe and I'm much happier in game and out.

That is so true Daina and Myshel. Very well said.

Tilone I think you need to relax a bit on this issue.

Nothing mean was said at all about Velvette. Only that she makes the SAME mistake over and over and over and over and over and over, get the point? Annoying.

So what someone came to the COMPLAINTS folder to, oh my gosh complain that someone, that a CHARACTER is annoying. It's not like the girl was called a bitch crack whore slut troll faced dog. Cmon give us a freakin break. Relax.

No, Spun gave some good advice to you a few posts up. I really think you should folllow it. Some people are just too overly sensative for the PC.

DeV
12-18-2003, 02:13 PM
maybe the character she RP's does things on accident all the time.. who knows.. who cares. sometimes people complain about stupid shit.

HarmNone
12-18-2003, 02:26 PM
If this person is making the same errors over and over again, it sounds to me like it may be time for a macro or two. If accurate typing is a problem, the triggers for the macros can be strategically placed to avoid mix-ups.

When I played, I helped a couple of people set up macros to avoid repetitive errors. As Velvette's friend, Kimm, you might do the same for her. She will probably appreciate it very much. :)

HarmNone

DaMaGe
12-18-2003, 05:00 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The things said WERE...

...NOT... ...THAT... ...BAD.

I've seen much, much, much worse. I think thicker skin may be in order.

-Adam

DeV
12-18-2003, 05:16 PM
the stuff said wasnt that bad actually... i think weve all actually wasted time by replying to it in the first place.

SpunGirl
12-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Chelle is right. Some people just can't take it here.

Daina has said it before... if you want to play nice, go play on the official boards. Or something like that. It was wise, whatever it was.

-K

Kurapira
12-20-2003, 01:41 AM
Personally, I'm suprised you people are still talking about this. Although, I have to admit many good points of views were made on both sides.

Realize this.. Once you decide to log-on to this page, check your sensibility at the door. My opinion, as well as everyone else's stands. We can make em, and that is just the deal.

Thank you, and good night.

DeV
12-22-2003, 01:27 PM
Die Post!