PDA

View Full Version : Thieves

Volstock
12-15-2003, 02:35 PM
sooo here I was sitting at the crypt asking if any younging need some spells.
Then I saw a thief stealing from an empath there and threaten her. So being me I stepped in and limb break him and fog him out of there. So now some other people told me I was wrong for doing what I did. That it wasn't my business.So I gues my question is am I right or wrong ? BTW sorry if there's any typos/bad grammars English isn't really my first language.

Moist Happenings
12-15-2003, 02:37 PM
If the thief was Qahaar - He has like 2 or 3 other people that sit in the crypt to tell you that you're abusing game mechanics and not to abuse your power when you fuck him up. Just ignore him. Use implode next time.

If the thief was Thore - same deal.

12-15-2003, 02:37 PM
naw if you can do it do the same to the people who give you a hard time about it and who was stealing in my crypt?

Adhara
12-15-2003, 02:42 PM
My opinion:

If the mark is old enough to exact physical punishment upon the thief (if they so choose) then stay out of it. If the thief is stealing from someone who is so far below that they are not a threat, then go for it. If they chose a helpless mark thinking they would be safe from retaliation, that ought to teach them otherwise.

Moist Happenings
12-15-2003, 02:44 PM
I concur with Adhara.

Rastaman
12-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Neff
If the thief was Qahaar - He has like 2 or 3 other people that sit in the crypt to tell you that you're abusing game mechanics and not to abuse your power when you fuck him up. Just ignore him. Use implode next time.

No he doesn't. If anyone does that it's on their accord.

Moist Happenings
12-15-2003, 02:49 PM
That sure explains why klaser fogs in whenever qahaar gets hurt, or stunned, or killed, and then fogs out immediately when he's finished healing/unstunning/finding a cleric for him

Wezas
12-15-2003, 02:50 PM
That sure explains why klaser fogs in whenever qahaar gets hurt, or stunned, or killed, and then fogs out immediately when he's finished healing/unstunning/finding a cleric for him

Captain Obvious gets a cookie.

Rastaman
12-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Thats one person, who "fogs in". Not or two or three people who sit there. Next time don't state conjecture as fact.

Moist Happenings
12-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

Captain Obvious gets a cookie.

I was responding to Rasta, Wezas. Trying to prove my point. I know that everyone knows Klaser=qahaar. Just apparently Rasta didn't.

Rastaman
12-15-2003, 02:53 PM
What the hell? I knew that.

Moist Happenings
12-15-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Rastaman
Thats one person, who "fogs in". Not or two or three people who sit there. Next time don't state conjecture as fact.

Fine. I'll post my log when I get home.

Essentially, the one I was involved in goes like this(there were others, just not involving me.):

Qahaar steals cursed gem from me
I implode Qahaar.
Qahaar dies
Klaser fogs in
Klaser casts at me without a word
Klaser fails
I stun Klaser
I unstun klaser after about 2 minutes
Klaser whispers, "Don't use your powers to abuse others."
Klaser fogs out.

Moist Happenings
12-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Anyway, whether or not Qahaar has people "sit there" or just has people "on call" at all times isn't the point. He's a cock and should be a) banned b) killed on sight no matter what, and more to my original point c) never given the benefit of the doubt.

DeV
12-15-2003, 02:56 PM
haha.. everyone knows about Qahaar in the crypt stealing all the time.

My advise is to break limbs first, ask questions later.

Rastaman
12-15-2003, 02:57 PM
WTF are you talking about?

I said Qahaar doesnt have two or three people who sit in the crypt and tell people theyre abusing mechanics.

Then you replied klasers fogs in and heals him when he's hurt. THAT IS IRRELEVANT.

HE DOESN'T HAVE PEOPLE WHO SIT IN THE CRYPT AND TELL PEOPLE STUFF AND THATS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY!

Moist Happenings
12-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Rastaman
WTF are you talking about?

I said Qahaar doesnt have two or three people who sit in the crypt and tell people theyre abusing mechanics.

Then you replied klasers fogs in and heals him when he's hurt. THAT IS IRRELEVANT.

HE DOESN'T HAVE PEOPLE WHO SIT IN THE CRYPT AND TELL PEOPLE STUFF AND THATS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY!

And i'll ask you to read my previous post more carefully, because I just responded to that.

But do you agree that while "everyone" knows that he and Klaser are the same, and that he openly breaks policy by fogging him in to attack people who attack him that he can't handle that he shouldn't be given any sort of room to speak at all?

Rastaman
12-15-2003, 03:01 PM
Qahaar doesn't need Klaser to fight for him. Klaser never ends any of Qahaar's fights.

Moist Happenings
12-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Well then i'm sure you'll be happy to read the log I post when I get home of my first interaction with "them"

theotherjohn
12-15-2003, 03:24 PM

Klaser whispers, "Don't use your powers to abuse others."

I dont care if Qwhatever steals all day long.

I dont care if you implode him all day long.

The shit that pisses me off is crying about someone casting at you.

I hate warnwhores and quibblers

DeV
12-15-2003, 03:25 PM
I know of other people that have dealt with the both of them.. this is through word of IM's though mainly..

Moist Happenings
12-15-2003, 03:25 PM
I didn't cry about him casting at me. I noted it. He failed by about 200. And if he hadn't, then he would have just been an MAing whore. As such, now that he failed..he is still an MAing whore. I don't see what you're saying i'm crying about.

theotherjohn
12-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Neff. I don't see what you're saying i'm crying about.

not you.

Klaser for saying "Don't use your powers to abuse others."

Moist Happenings
12-15-2003, 03:31 PM
Oh okay. My mistake.

Volstock
12-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Okay this is annoying me...a thief stole from me.. I cast at him..he report me to constable.. I get to go in jail with a 5k fine.. yay !!

Moist Happenings
12-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Simple answer: Don't cast at people in town.

If you know he's stealing from you, use the WATCH <name> verb, then when you see him, go and accuse him.

Klaser
12-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Neff, you seem pretty obsessed with me. If you want to come kill me, that's fine with me. Eitherway, you'll still be a moron.

[Edited on 12-15-2003 by Klaser]

Snapp
12-15-2003, 08:37 PM
In response to the first post, I'd probably do the same thing. Whether it's right or wrong, I don't know. If I notice the other person is fairly old, I usually just whisper that I saw it. BTW, Klaser is a tool for fogging in and casting. (No offense to Tayre)

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Considering that Volstock's willing to have one slandered, killed, repeatedly located to the point of annoyance and more....all for 67 silvers....methinks the fellow doth protest too much. I think he's just looking for an excuse to kill people.

Volstock
12-16-2003, 10:43 AM
ahh so your Adaun Warriorbird... he stole from me I told him I'll kill him when he's out of town...67 silver or not it's a matter of principle you stole money from me you recieve consequences and no I didn't have anyone slander you. I located you once and only once

[Edited on 12-13-2003 by Volstock]

Moist Happenings
12-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Klaser
Neff, you seem pretty obsessed with me. If you want to come kill me, that's fine with me. Eitherway, you'll still be a moron.

[Edited on 12-15-2003 by Klaser]

I will ask you to do at least one of the following things before responding to me again:
1. Come up with a valid argument against something I have said about or to you.
2. Come up with ANY argument against something I have said about or to you.
3. If you are going to insult me, please give it a basis.
4. If you are going to insult me, please be wittier.

With that said: I don't bring things from the forums in game. I don't believe I gave you or anyone else here the impression that I did. If you've got a valid argument against anything that i've said, then please by all means share it.

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 11:33 AM
I saw the post from you here, and figured I'd gauge your responses. First you tried to abuse mechanics and kill him in town. Then Adaun gave back the coin. Then you located him about five times. Then you went to his hunting area. He got caught by a flare, so came to get healed. You follow. Then back out for more of the locating. I finally sit still and wait...because I hate locate spam and there's no way Adaun could actually touch you unless I did something cheap...and then you kill him.

Seriously. I think you have some serious anger issues. 67 returned silvers.

[Edited on 12-16-2003 by Warriorbird]

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Plus your slave cleric talking to Empaths and such.

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Just seems to be like DR. Some folks seem to get their jollies out of sitting around with minimal gear and coin in their pockets. Woe betide any thief that crosses their path, no matter the training...they're out for notches. Go duel or something. Least that takes some amount of talent.

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 11:46 AM
If you'd actually been out to exact some real punishment, you could've accused. The fines and tasks for that are far more strenuous...and more of a pain...then even a full decay when DR points are in.

And if it's someone else? And you haven't literally caught them? Identical gems and common magic items abound. You shouldn't be attacking.

If you're just some poor hapless dogooder...abused by all these evil thieves... Seriously consider depositing your coin or selling your gems. Close those magic item containers.

Moist Happenings
12-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Personally, I'll flash a cursed emerald and then get it stolen on purpose to get people on my big list of thieves.

In his case, it's your own fault what happened. Each person handles thieves differently. Let's remember that this is a roleplaying game. And your role as a fantasy medieval thief is to make the choice whether or not to steal. If you steal and get caught, you face the consequences. Thieves in Turkey lose their hands. Thieves in medieval England lost their lives(not just england, just an example). Don't like it? Don't steal.

Adhara
12-16-2003, 11:48 AM
The amount stolen is irrelevant when teaching a thief a lesson. If one waits until the thief has stolen for a deed's worth to kill him then the thief will take his chances. If the thief gets killed over 67 silvers, he will see that the risk is not worth it. That's how I see it anyway.

But to stand around naked with a claid in your hands and 20 silvers in your pockets now that's just wrong. Reminds me of those older folks scouting in the sewers to kill afk scripters.

Moist Happenings
12-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Warriorbird
If you'd actually been out to exact some real punishment, you could've accused. The fines and tasks for that are far more strenuous...and more of a pain...then even a full decay when DR points are in.

And if it's someone else? And you haven't literally caught them? Identical gems and common magic items abound. You shouldn't be attacking.

If you're just some poor hapless dogooder...abused by all these evil thieves... Seriously consider depositing your coin or selling your gems. Close those magic item containers.

Personally my deal is to offer the thief a chance to give back what he stole in exchange for his life. If he decides not to take that chance, I accuse him AND I kill him.

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 11:49 AM
Oh. It's not like it caused any severe loss to me. Adaun doesn't normally even have pickpocketing trained. I was just curious how the fellow acted when I saw the thread. The GS pickpocketing system was tame originally and it got even more tame with the changes.

Volstock
12-16-2003, 11:50 AM
First you tried to abuse mechanics and kill him in town.

1. he stole from me I cast... if you don't wanna be cast at don't steal or atleast don't get caught

Then Adaun gave back the coin.

2. if he had apologized I would let it dropped but he just gave back the coins and walked. Besides giving someone back the money after you get caught doesn't mean you wont get harmed.

Then you went to his hunting area.

3. Correct I did went you his hunting area to kill him. As I told him if he's outside of town I'll kill him.

You follow. Then back out for more of the locating.

4. I locate him ONCE. ONLY ONCE the rest wasn't me.

Seriously. I think you have some serious anger issues. 67 returned silvers.

5. It's a matter of principle if I let one thief get away with it when I caught him the rest will walk all over me simple as that.

Plus your slave cleric talking to Empaths and such.

6. I do not have a slave empath or cleric. I'm still in school so no point in wasting too much money for MA'ing

Volstock
12-16-2003, 11:54 AM
By the way if you really wanted to know how I deal with someone who picked my pocket all you have to do was asked. Instead of trying it.

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Alarke located me a lot more than once...but that's beside the point. If I'd have asked, the response wouldn't have been as realistic.

My advice to you? If thieving bothers you? Deposit and sell off gems. Don't rest in common areas like the Park or hell holes like the Crypt. Utilize perception...it's a lot stronger than in GS3. It's not something that's going to go away, and there's people out there who are far more highly trained and persistent than me. If you're just out for blood...the boulder is thrilling family entertainment for one and all...I spend a bit of time there myself upon occassion.

Volstock
12-16-2003, 12:07 PM
I'm not out for blood.. I usually have a Whoopping 100 silver on me at all times for stuff like if I ned to pay the guard at another town. ALL my container stays closed unless I'm hunting. I did went to the boulder for the past 3 days didn't see anyone. Besides I have to get the mechanics down all over again and also I gotta look up places to hunt

Parkbandit
12-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Just seems to be like DR. Some folks seem to get their jollies out of sitting around with minimal gear and coin in their pockets. Woe betide any thief that crosses their path, no matter the training...they're out for notches. Go duel or something. Least that takes some amount of talent.

This often cracks me up. Folks come to the park, knowing they have coins in their pockets in hopes of being able to catch Falgrin in the act.. so they can try and cause harm to him. When they get cleaned out.. they will head back to the bank to pull out more silvers and return. It's quite comical.

Parkbandit
12-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by WarriorbirdMy advice to you? If thieving bothers you? Deposit and sell off gems. Don't rest in common areas like the Park or hell holes like the Crypt.

Hey! Shut the hell up! He can rest anywhere he wants with his silvers and gems!

Bastard.. if I see a drop in business.. I'm coming for you.

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 12:30 PM
They won't listen, Parkbandit. You know it.

Volstock... if it's just 100 silver... Why bother? Seriously. It isn't as though it is a serious loss. I'm sure some of my characters get robbed all the time, but it doesn't bother me, because if I have any serious money it is in note form. I mean...I can understand it if someone robbed you on the way to EN. But...you can carry an extra k or so and take care of that. If it's Icemule gate fees? Desposit them when in the Landing, and when in Mule, if you lose it, kill a kobold.

Moist Happenings
12-16-2003, 12:36 PM
If someone stole 20 bucks out of your pocket, but you make 40 thousand a year, and you saw them, do you just say "It was only 20 bucks."?

Moist Happenings
12-16-2003, 12:39 PM
And before you say: "It's a game", i'll refer you to my original post, which you seem to have ignored.

Personally, I'll flash a cursed emerald and then get it stolen on purpose to get people on my big list of thieves.

In his case, it's your own fault what happened. Each person handles thieves differently. Let's remember that this is a roleplaying game. And your role as a fantasy medieval thief is to make the choice whether or not to steal. If you steal and get caught, you face the consequences. Thieves in Turkey lose their hands. Thieves in medieval England lost their lives(not just england, just an example). Don't like it? Don't steal.

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Probably would if they got away from me. I doubt I'd report it. Now if I lost 40 grand, that'd be another thing. I'd be calling the police instantly. This is not Elanthia, however. Drawing real life comparisons between a world where money means more than death and a world where it usually does not just tends to fail for discussing these sort of things.

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 12:43 PM
Not really an issue for me. I don't usually steal in GS because the system sucks compared to DR.

Parkbandit
12-16-2003, 12:44 PM
The entire REASON to steal for me isn't to gain any wealth (Well.. I was pretty damn happy when I stole a mage rechargable gem off Zhagen.. but that's an entirely different story), it's to gain a conflict roleplaying opportunity. I WANT you to be pissed at Falgrin for taking your hard earned silvers.. I WANT you to make fun of him or call him a thief or do whatever your character would/should do. I WANT to entertain the player of the mark and the players of the other characters of the park who happen to be watching.

THIS is why I play a thief character.

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Anyways, I'd say that 67 silver would approximate a lot less than twenty dollars, if we wanted to draw the "real world comparison." I'd say it'd amount to about five cents.

Moist Happenings
12-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Probably would if they got away from me. I doubt I'd report it. Now if I lost 40 grand, that'd be another thing. I'd be calling the police instantly. This is not Elanthia, however. Drawing real life comparisons between a world where money means more than death and a world where it usually does not just tends to fail for discussing these sort of things.

I'll ask you one more time to read my first post.

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 12:47 PM
I did. I said it didn't really hold true for me, as I wasn't typically a thief. Just because you waggle your philosophy at someone doesn't mean they'll buy it. Only reason I robbed him was his earlier post. I wanted to gauge his reaction. I know Qahaar and Klaser have issues. I also know a fair number of other Rogues that roleplay it out decently. I sure didn't log to avoid conflict, report him, or WARN him.

Moist Happenings
12-16-2003, 12:51 PM
If you steal once, then you're a thief. In this particular situation, you were a thief. Do you dispute that? So how does my philosophy not apply to this situation?

Edit: Grammar.

[Edited on 12-16-2003 by Neff]

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 12:55 PM
Same reason I edit a lot, hey.

"It's my fault" is basically all you said. I pointed out how ridiculous it all was, all the effort he went to over 67 silver. I wasn't complaining that people kill thieves. I wasn't saying that that's somehow something that should not be allowed. I was saying it was foolish, however, which I think it is.

Parkbandit
12-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Anyways, I'd say that 67 silver would approximate a lot less than twenty dollars, if we wanted to draw the "real world comparison." I'd say it'd amount to about five cents.

Let's say the exchange rate between US Currency to $15 per million.

At $40,000, we are talking about 2.67 billion silvers.

If the comparison of 67 silvers to 2.67 billion is converted into US currency, we are actually talking about $.001 to $40,000.

Personally.. I wouldn't kill someone if they were able to steal $.001 from me. Hell, I doubt any of us would notice them stealing a quarter from us.. which would be like Falgrin stealing 16,667 silvers from you in his park.

Let's all give these poor thieves a break... shall we?

Moist Happenings
12-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Same reason I edit a lot, hey.

"It's my fault" is basically all you said. I pointed out how ridiculous it all was, all the effort he went to over 67 silver. I wasn't complaining that people kill thieves. I wasn't saying that that's somehow something that should not be allowed. I was saying it was foolish, however, which I think it is.

Well, if it was me I would have accepted the 67 silvers back, because i'll offer that trade before killing you anyway. But it is a matter of principle, and foolish or not, it's his prerogative to kill you if he wants to. 67 silvers is nothing. But if it was me and you HADN'T given the silvers back, yes, I would have hunted you down and killed you.

DeV
12-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Let's all give these poor thieves a break

we do give poor thieves a break.. a couple arms, legs, maybe a neck every once in a while.

Volstock
12-16-2003, 01:12 PM
okay this is getting really weird.. if someone stole 67 silver from you in GS you wouldn't do anything about but that's YOU. But in GS if Volstock see someone stealing from him he want's retributions. Besides you stole 67 silvers big deal right.. next thief stole a diamond big deal..next one stole 120 silver big deal. But as you can see they also adds up. Like I said before it's a matter of principle and everyone have one

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 01:14 PM
Yet you only carry 100 silvers at a time...

Volstock
12-16-2003, 01:20 PM
I don't walk around with much because of the stamina issues which I still don't understand...I had 500 silvers on me and can't climb that damn Hill to Bonespear. Yet with 490 silver I can climb with ease.. and yes both time were in Offensive

Warriorbird
12-16-2003, 01:22 PM
All other things aside, I'll agree with you. Climbing is messed up. Murdered myself climbing out of Fenghai with boxes.

DeV
12-17-2003, 03:19 PM
climbing is kinda messed up.. Ive broken my neck twice now doing it. PLUS my character is now skinny as hell. How did he go from 190 lbs. in GS3 to 160 lbs...

Xcalibur
12-17-2003, 03:24 PM
Thief stealing from a level 4 newb:

too bad for level 4 newb.

In conclusion: pick pocket is a skill, live with it.

Chelle
12-17-2003, 03:36 PM
My character liked to steal because it was just so fun and easy. Never know what you're gonna pull out! And pissing people off was fun too. :)

Overlord
12-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Whoot for 40 ranks in climbing and swimming bwa ha ha ha ha ha
As for thieves....steal all you want, just don't bitch when you are caught, by the mark or reported to the constable by another. You know the risks of stealing full and well. Don't complain! besides... i love catching peopl, gives me an excuse to kill someone.

Czeska
12-17-2003, 04:09 PM
I'll agree with the fact that this is (ideally) about RP. If you're playing a thief, know the consequenses. Hone your skills. Scan the area. Are you a pickpocket or a catburgler (yeah I know we can't break into a house, it was an example).
My interactions with Qahaar make me consider him a foul mouthed dolt of below average intelligence. Although it gave me and Edine something to whisper about. There's just nothing INTERESTING about Qahaar. He's just an irritant.

From my perspective(s) ...
If my lockpicker gets robbed, she'll be pissed. She hates thieves. But she's more likely to try to ruin their rep (or give them one, as the case may be) than to kill.
If my empath is robbed, she'll call her high level family to come in and make the thief's life miserable. She's rather bitter at times. And she has a temper.
If my bard is robbed, she considers it her own damn fault for carrying around silvers or leaving her stuff opened. Her parents were rogues and they told her this at a very young age.

DeV
12-17-2003, 04:14 PM
my sentiments exactly..

Caramia
12-17-2003, 06:24 PM
I don't know, I guess I'd get a GM's opinion on this. Supposedly seeing someone steal from you, or having a thief goad you about his successful attempt was invitation to PvP.

Seeing them steal from someone else certainly gives you a chance to roleplay out the situation (not just blast them), calling attention to the thief and allowing the mark a chance to respond to it, since they were they mark.

Depending upon where it goes from the roleplaying, like if the thief then attempts to steal from you, or challenges you, is your invitation to delimb or kill them.

The crypt's become a hellhole, between Klaser/Qahaar and Vadune and his zombies coming in and making trouble. How many times have we posted here that bringing another (older) character into a conflict, whether you own them or not, is wrong? Tsk tsk.

Reyek
12-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Actually i have a problem with icedraggon. My rogue got stolen from by icedraggon in the crypt so he shoots his bow in a way failed attempt to kill him. so i die and get raised. a few days later i catch up with him and he was in the crypt again stealing from people as usual and i wait in hiding for a moment to strike. this time the story is different. I shoot arrows faster then can be seen and i almost kill him when Qahaar strikes me and stuns me for a 1 round. and an empath comes in and heals Icedraggon. Punks dont know how to stay out of there own fight. No mind you i dunno how old Icedraggon is but i know he is way older then my rogue at 23.