PDA

View Full Version : Perception training

Kitsun
12-15-2003, 12:40 AM
Is there any reason to 3x in perception as an archer/picker rogue?

The attack bonus for perception is capped at 2x for archery. But does going beyond 2x help more with aiming from the open?

Is 2x enough to see all the traps on boxes? Right now at 45th level, he's seen every tap from Wyneb which go up to about -330. If I drop down to 2x, will I begin to miss them?

Its neat to be able to see rangers/rogues that think they're all stealthy but I'm not sure that the cost is worth it now.

Any thoughts or information?

Carl Spackler
12-15-2003, 12:45 AM
My rogue and ranger 2x in perception and are both archers, they do just fine.

Vesi
12-15-2003, 02:33 AM
My rogue archer who I have played for over 4 1/2 years is 2.5 in perception. I know there have been lots of changes, but she just likes to see most everything. She used to be 3x in GSIII. Just can't squeeze it in in GSIV. I think you are fine at 2x.

Vesi

Edaarin
12-15-2003, 07:53 AM
I've had a few -390 traps from Wyneb.

Perception helps out with aiming too.

Parkbandit
12-15-2003, 09:42 AM
The costs of triple training in perception outweigh the benefits of doing so. I think 2x is fine. Go 3x and you will end up taking away from other critical training.

ThisOtherKingdom
12-15-2003, 01:48 PM
I'm 3x perception as an archer rogue, and the only thing I'm sacrificing is getting lores a little later. I've been told it helps in aiming, even though attack is capped at 2x. I also like being able to see what's going on around me. I'm also a very confident locksmith at 3x perception, should I give something way above my head a try.

Edited to say... since I'm playing now, I've decided to drop down my perc to 2x. I'll post how my next few hunts go.

Okay, not too much of a difference. I was still able to hunt efficiently, although it took me 5 - 6 arrows to kill a frost giant when it normally took me 3 tops. And the titans took about 3 when most times I drop them in one shot. Dropping to 2x also gave me up to 404 instead of just 402. But I think I'm gonna stick with 3x perception.

[Edited on 12-15-2003 by ThisOtherKingdom]

[Edited on 12-15-2003 by ThisOtherKingdom]

Kitsun
12-15-2003, 03:59 PM
You were sniping from the open or from hiding? Where were you aiming for? Were you missing the targeted area?

I dropped down to 2x perception and got 210/79 TP's to use. I put most of it into CM training. I couldn't afford it otherwise.

Perception should only help with spotting traps and I think thats only part of it. I'm 3x in disarm and 2x in perception now and I haven't missed anything in the last day or so.

ZGemstone
12-15-2003, 04:50 PM
If you remove the picker part of the equation, is there any reason to do more than 2x perception as an archer rogue? I can squeeze 1x CM in if I don't do 3x perception, so I'm hoping that the 2x perception will cut it.

StrayRogue
12-15-2003, 04:51 PM
Personally again unless you are using two weapon types, 1x CM is perhaps a waste, unless you are a warrior who can benefit from the majority of the CM skills. .5x is as much as I'd train in it, for the pure archer. Probably less.

ZGemstone
12-15-2003, 04:58 PM
Ah ok, that's good to know. I figured it would be good to grab some CM for manuever attacks (assuming it factors into that) and to gain some of the CM skills. Dropping down to .5 would free up a good chunk of points though. Hmm...still stuck in with my old GS training habits, so maybe I'll work towards some spells.

Kitsun
12-15-2003, 05:00 PM
I think then it'd depend on level, StrayRogue. I'm personally going to get as much CM as it takes to get maxed shadowmastery and multi-fire. Whether it means 1x or .5 would depend upon what level I am heh. If the numbers don't change its like 35 ranks for max'd shadowmaster right now. Multi-fire hasn't been announced.

I'm actually not sure if any of the weapon specialization skills will apply to archery.

StrayRogue
12-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Thus far, the CMAN skills work on CM points created by the CM skill. Level is also a requirement. The level of mastery you will want to achieve will most likely determine how many ranks of CM you will want.

For example, Mblow requires 30 CM points to master. Each rank of CM equals one point.